Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

And I was just thinking about getting that drat booster.

My wife is pregnant and covid wants to celebrate along with us and our friends. What a sweetheart.

You should still get a booster.

Yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Shinjobi posted:

My wife is pregnant and covid wants to celebrate along with us and our friends. What a sweetheart.

This news means you should get a booster immediately, not that you should wait. I don't know where you live, but you can almost certainly go to a drugstore and get one by the end of the day.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Was the consensus that drug stores are picky about the 6 month thing? Still need to wait a week if so.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Beachcomber posted:

Was the consensus that drug stores are picky about the 6 month thing? Still need to wait a week if so.

they don’t care just go. If you find a jerk pharmacist go to the next store

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Shinjobi posted:

You should get the booster. There is a scenario where Omicron is sufficiently different that both are in constant circulation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beachcomber posted:

It is by far the thing they are pickiest about.

You may be able to sneak one in, certainly if you practice economy of truth. Tell them you’re flying out of the country imminently.

You could try reminding them that Pfizer’s vaccine is fully approved and that they are no longer bound by the EUA; they can use their professional judgement. Worth a shot if all else fails.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Beachcomber posted:

I went to a vaccine clinc VA and they literally did not care. They just want to put shots in arms

My only symptom is I felt hotter than usual but not feverish. I went for an 8 mile walk the day after my shot and it felt nice being out in the cold when i felt so hot

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It was already on my to-do list! Wife wants to wait til week 14 before she gets her shot, though.

Basically, this news has changed my plans from "sometime in the next two weeks" to "within the next 3 days."

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I got my Booster + Flu at a Walgreens and forgot my card. I told them when I got vaxxed and they were like, ok cool bring your card back some time so we can write the date of your booster on it. Here's your shots.

Easy breezy.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

You should get the booster. There is a scenario where Omicron is sufficiently different that both are in constant circulation.

Not to mention it's too early to say exactly how the new variant will respond to the vaccine. A huge spike in South Africa isn't really an indicator of anything on that front given the super low vaccination rate there (24% or so of total population). Even if the new variant has better performance against the vaccine in terms of infection, if the vaccine still has good effects on preventing severe disease, it would definitely be worth getting on that front alone while a variant booster is created.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

It was already on my to-do list! Wife wants to wait til week 14 before she gets her shot, though.

Basically, this news has changed my plans from "sometime in the next two weeks" to "within the next 3 days."

it's too late

you've been hit by
you've been touched by
the Omicron variant

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Sooo how is it possible for something with so many mutations to emerge all at once? I don’t mean that in any conspiratorial way, but I’d have thought it would be more incremental. Of course, it might have been quietly picking up somewhat advantageous mutations here and there before hitting on the big advantageous ones and really taking off.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Well, you see, having at will world travel without any precautions turns out to be a bad thing if you don't want worldwide epidemics

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

Sooo how is it possible for something with so many mutations to emerge all at once? I don’t mean that in any conspiratorial way, but I’d have thought it would be more incremental. Of course, it might have been quietly picking up somewhat advantageous mutations here and there before hitting on the big advantageous ones and really taking off.

I think it's what you said at the end: it hit the genetic jackpot of other strains and a body that's a perfect host for a new mutation, whether it's from someone who's vaccinated or what have you

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Zugzwang posted:

I was reading in an epidemiologist's blog this morning (I'll see if I can find a link) that these extremely mutated variants are often the result of infecting/reproducing in an immunocompromised person. I'm not a biologist and don't know why or how this would be the case, but I guess this is common wisdom?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Seth Pecksniff posted:

it's too late

you've been hit by
you've been touched by
the Omicron variant

:gonk:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zugzwang posted:

They think it infected someone with AIDS and their immune system couldn’t shake the infection so it just hung out in their body for weeks/months gaining new mutations. The UK variant (beta? I forget now) was thought to have developed in a similar way. Given the number of people with HIV/AIDS in Africa it’s probably not surprising we’ve had a few variants come out of there.

yippeekiyaymf
May 16, 2002

You seriously have issues.

Go catch more racoons in a net and step away from the computer.
Reading about all this made me more happy my husband and I decided to not take part in the US tradition of shopping today (online of course. Like I’d go out to a store or a mall) and instead waited at a pharmacy for walk-in booster shots. We had them scheduled for 12/6 but decided to try for earlier. An hour later, both got our Moderna booster.

Pharmacy didn’t check our IDs which was weird but happy to see it was crowded. Also happy they fit us in with all their scheduled appointments.

Now to wait for the new variant!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

There’s no conclusive evidence of its vaccine resistance or lethality, is there?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Crackbone posted:

There’s no conclusive evidence of its vaccine resistance or lethality, is there?
Nope. Too early for anything definitive. We've had a few false alarms, hopefully this is another one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crackbone posted:

Lethality, not at all.

Vaccine resistance, not in vitro, but in silico the situation looks pretty bad.

https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1464005676842184705

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought "Wait they're culturing the virus in sand? How's that work?".

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
New MEGA MUTATED variant causes GLOBAL FREAKOUT!!!!!!

https://news.yahoo.com/scientists-raise-alarm-mega-mutated-041607864.html

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Crackbone posted:

At the moment it’s just based on modelling and comparing the mutations to other variants of concern. We won’t know for sure for a few weeks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought "Wait they're culturing the virus in sand? How's that work?".

We trapped lighting in rocks and tricked them into thinking for us.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

g0lbez posted:

i absolutely believe that viable treatments for various illness/disease/etc are being suppressed in favor of long term care and i don't think that's too radical of a position to take

Conspiracy nonsense, that would require horrendous numbers of people and companies to be involved and for not ONE of them EVER to think “I’d rather be a billionaire hero than a trillionaire nobody”

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Booster trip report update: I think I'm feeling better today. Moderna booster on top of 2x Moderna shots previously, got the shot Wednesday, felt like absolute poo poo yesterday - fever, body aches (especially in my knees for some reason), general flu-like symptoms minus any respiratory stuff. Today I seem to be improved but not back to 100%, but that's a lot faster than my experience with the first two full-dose shots. I felt like serious poo poo for 2 or 3 days after the first shot, then still pretty poo poo for another 2 or 3 days after that. So far it looks like the booster is going to be a much shorter timeline.

Also, for anyone in the US, while people in the thread seem to mostly not have problems finding shots, in my area it was a huge pain in the rear end. The county is apparently having vaccination events, but if you aren't a morning or if you do something crazy like work then those weren't super accessible. None of the major pharmacies here are scheduling boosters, at least not for Moderna. Thanks to word of mouth and knowing a pharmacist I found a local compounding pharmacy that is doing Moderna boosters, but otherwise I had been striking out for weeks. Hopefully this area is an exception, but I suggest people look into how easily they can get their shots rather than assuming it will be quick and easy.

At this point I need to figure out my flu shot, because things are so hosed up around here my usual practice of doing a drop-in at the grocery store is off the table.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Why is this called Omicron. Did I miss Kappa and Lambda, cmon guys those are the meme strain names.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

busalover posted:

Why is this called Omicron. Did I miss Kappa and Lambda, cmon guys those are the meme strain names.

Yes. Kappa is the other Indian variant.

Lambda is from South America and couldn’t compete with Delta.

Nu and xi were skipped for no official reason.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

busalover posted:

You sure did (they ended up fizzling out vs. Delta).

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The next letter was Nu and they skipped that because it’d be confusing. The one after that was Xi which they also skipped to avoid pissing off the leader of a rather large and powerful country.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zugzwang posted:

The next letter was Nu and they skipped that because it’d be confusing. The one after that was Xi which they also skipped to avoid pissing off the leader of a rather large and powerful country.

Cowards. We could have had the Pooh variant and they robbed us.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

They think it infected someone with AIDS and their immune system couldn’t shake the infection so it just hung out in their body for weeks/months gaining new mutations. The UK variant (beta? I forget now) was thought to have developed in a similar way. Given the number of people with HIV/AIDS in Africa it’s probably not surprising we’ve had a few variants come out of there.

Yeah, basically the weakened immune system allows the virus to hang around for absolutely ages mutating over and over and over, practicing against what amounts to a target dummy. The immunocompromised person's immune system isn't strong enough to kill the virus off, so every time it's rebuffed it gets to try again with fancy new mutations, selecting the ones that are more effective, ad infinitum (well, until the host eventually dies, I guess?)

I do wonder though - would this mean the virus would select for less deadly mutations (gets to hang around longer) or more deadly (wants to smash immune system entirely so it stops getting eaten)?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Nu and xi were skipped for no official reason.

Xi was skipped for a very unofficial reason

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Bardeh posted:

Yeah, basically the weakened immune system allows the virus to hang around for absolutely ages mutating over and over and over, practicing against what amounts to a target dummy. The immunocompromised person's immune system isn't strong enough to kill the virus off, so every time it's rebuffed it gets to try again with fancy new mutations, selecting the ones that are more effective, ad infinitum (well, until the host eventually dies, I guess?)

I do wonder though - would this mean the virus would select for less deadly mutations (gets to hang around longer) or more deadly (wants to smash immune system entirely so it stops getting eaten)?

the virus doesn’t particularly care about “deadly.”

it’s just “more reproduce” or “less,” with “more” being what we call natural selection

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The WHO naming convention being reduced to arbitrary choices within a few months is impressive.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I mean, with assholes already calling it The China Virus, they don't need any help with the strain sharing it's name with their despot.

And Nu would be very confusing.

Edit: I don't expect them to ever use Omega either.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

gently caress the WHO

It's not even pronounced that way

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Best case scenario the new variant is more infectious and less deadly right? Like we could luck out and get a beneficial mutation like what happened with the Spanish flu right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We're now about two-thirds of the way through the Greek alphabet. For what names to use after it runs out, I'm dusting off a suggestion for hurricanes: use Pokemon names. Just go in order, starting with the Bulbasaur variant.