Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Another Bill posted:

You get the best 3 star armors / weapons and most of the best events like Scorchbeast Queens and Daily OPs. It's not a ton but the game is just more fun with bigger guns and tougher enemies.

Neither of those are level locked. One wasteland made it so enemy levels in public events reflect your level, not the level of people around you, so scorched earth will be more level appropriate. You're gonna die a few times though because I'll guess you don't have great gear. Fortunately however you no longer drop loot at public events.

Daily ops can totally be done as a low level. Just join a team of high levels and they will likely be happy to carry you as long as you don't actively get in their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah there is no reason for you to not participate in stuff due to not being level 50 except a couple of very specific quest awards that are leveled to whatever you are when you turn them in. The big one that comes to mind is Becket's excellent .50 cal MG, there are a couple others in the "pretty good" range but that's the one that really stands out as far as I know.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

i flunked out posted:

Daily ops can totally be done as a low level. Just join a team of high levels and they will likely be happy to carry you as long as you don't actively get in their way.

Low levels are welcome in Daily Ops so long as they are actually participating and giving it their best effort. Yeah they may die often and not do much damage but so long as they are actually trying and learning its all good. However if they join a DO group but never enter the DO or just AFK at the DO entrance then they should expect to be chewed out and kicked from the group. I give everyone a minute to get in the DO, or more if they let us know they need another minute, but if three of us are waiting on someone to enter the DO and they are not responding I kick them out of the group. No AFK leeches in my groups.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Saw that this was $10 and I have poor impulse control so I picked this up after hearing that it's seen a lot of improvement.

So far I'm still just getting started on the first couple of questlines, and my plan right now is to eventually do a heavy weapon build with power armor since I play every Fallout as a stealth character and want to try something different.

Any tips / things I should keep in mind when I'm starting out, or any place I should beeline to early to pick up a good weapon or anything like that? I always just like exploring but right now I'm using melee weapons since the early guns seem really pitiful without investing in perks that boost them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Saw that this was $10 and I have poor impulse control so I picked this up after hearing that it's seen a lot of improvement.

So far I'm still just getting started on the first couple of questlines, and my plan right now is to eventually do a heavy weapon build with power armor since I play every Fallout as a stealth character and want to try something different.

Any tips / things I should keep in mind when I'm starting out, or any place I should beeline to early to pick up a good weapon or anything like that? I always just like exploring but right now I'm using melee weapons since the early guns seem really pitiful without investing in perks that boost them.

Just explore the PoIs. Morgantown Railyard can have a PA set spawn in it if you want to become less squishy. Other than that going through the PoIs is pretty satisfying. Grab all the screws, gears springs, aluminum, adhesive, acid, gunpowder, and ballistic fiber you can. Early game setting up an adhesive farm at your CAMP is a good idea. Helps with repairing and crafting.

If you have decided on PA/Heavy I think it wouldn't hurt to look at a SPECIAL builder so you know which cards to grab.

Jump into the discord and people will help you out if you have questions.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 21, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's a really great deal at 10 bucks. Don't be reluctant to just go wherever and do whatever seems fun, but maybe do yourself a favor when you're getting started and roll with something that is cheap on ammo (bolt action or semiauto, bow or crossbow, melee) because keeping up with ammo for automatics and flamers is very difficult until you learn the map and mechanics a little bit.

A couple of very useful perks early on are End/Aquaperson, so you don't take rads whenever you're in water, and Str/Traveling Pharmacy, because you are gonna get showered with stimpacks, radaway and chems, and they're a good thing to sell off from time to time and they weigh a ton

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 21, 2021

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I always just like exploring but right now I'm using melee weapons since the early guns seem really pitiful without investing in perks that boost them.

Basically every weapon will need those perks eventually. You're expected to get them for every type of weapon, even melee.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have to admit, very grudgingly, the power armor experience in F76 is pretty good - I didn't care about PA in any of the earlier games and especially in FO4 but it feels both well-earned and actually powerful, both mechanically and in just the look and feel. FO4 really flopped in those categories but it's done a lot better in 76.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

I have to admit, very grudgingly, the power armor experience in F76 is pretty good - I didn't care about PA in any of the earlier games and especially in FO4 but it feels both well-earned and actually powerful, both mechanically and in just the look and feel. FO4 really flopped in those categories but it's done a lot better in 76.

You don't care about PA in Fallout or Fallout 2? That was the best!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

How much of a pain is respeccing in this game by the way? I've been playing around with shotguns so far since I haven't run into any heavy weapons yet (and wouldn't have the ammo to use them consistently anyway), but will I be able to freely swap between builds at will eventually or is there a case to be made for having multiple characters if you enjoy switching between two totally different playstyles?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Find one of these or build one in your camp:

You can have two loadouts to switch between, or more if you feel like burning atoms in the atomic shop. You can find the posts around train stations and other locations that are significant to the storyline.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

How much of a pain is respeccing in this game by the way? I've been playing around with shotguns so far since I haven't run into any heavy weapons yet (and wouldn't have the ammo to use them consistently anyway), but will I be able to freely swap between builds at will eventually or is there a case to be made for having multiple characters if you enjoy switching between two totally different playstyles?

Respecing is free and unlocks at 25. The only pain is getting the perk cards you want.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Respeccing is approximately infinitely easier than it used to be.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The only choice that you are fairly strongly locked into is legendary perks post 50, once you level them past 1 I don't think you can recover the points used to do that. Everything else, you can completely redo your entire selection of perk cards/SPECIAL points at no cost, and you can unlock extra loadout slots to store different builds with ingame currency (I've bought 3 or 4 slots that way). The way you rank up Legendary perk cards is by scrapping regular perk cards, so it's actually not possible to waste perk picks, eventually you can use trash cards to rank up your legendary perks.

It's still not unreasonable to have multiple characters though, as the rate you can gather currencies like scrip and gold bullion are throttled per day, and it's pretty easy to hit the maximum if you play a lot. Then you can have different characters with very different legendary perks with no regrets.

It feels really cruddy when you first hit 25 and this all unlocks, but you don't actually have any cards to tinker with, but post 50 it's pretty nice.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm trying to grind my settlers reputation to get the gauss shotgun. Once you finish the main quest, is the daily fetch quest the only way to get reputation points?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Another Bill posted:

I'm trying to grind my settlers reputation to get the gauss shotgun. Once you finish the main quest, is the daily fetch quest the only way to get reputation points?

Yes. They never added the other quests lol

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr Hootington posted:

Yes. They never added the other quests lol

I think I'm three days from getting there anyways bit still lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Another Bill posted:

I think I'm three days from getting there anyways bit still lol

Luckily they seemed to have increased the rep reward from the quests.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

for settlers rep, you can also take the Photo Opportunity daily from Davenport in the Overseer's House, and take pictures of Crater and donate them to Foundation; and you can do the Raider alternate daily Retirement Plan and convince the target to go join the Settlers (requires 8+ Cha I think)

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_76_reputations

NB: asking for reward makes it give you less rep, apparently, so make sure to donate the objective for the fetch quest and Photo Op

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Black Friday atom shop sale this week. If you have atoms saved up you could get some fun bits for your CAMP.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Is there list of essential mods for FO4 VR anywhere? I tried the "essentials" wabbajack list, but it turns the game into a HARDCORE SURVIVAL EXPERIENCE which sucks rear end. Plus I can't seem to get FRIK to work with it :(

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Is there any real fun in doing MP stuff? I'm at like lvl 48 right now and going through questline stuff (holy hell there's a lot more now, much better than when I originally played it) and I'm basically playing more or less like it's a single player game.

Playing on Xbox, by the way.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There are a couple of events that are not practical to do solo unless you have a ridiculously busted weapon (Scorchbeast Queen, Wendigo Colossus) and the daily op is harder to get the best reward bracket for if you're alone because the maps are very big and terrible (the frozen vault map sucks major dick)

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Think I'm going to reinstall. Haven't played since the first installment of the Brotherhood questline, what are the big updates?

Also: Will my Bloodied Explosive laser rifle still murder everything?

Edit: is it just me or is there not a good way to browse the ITV updates for FO76?

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

pokchu posted:

Think I'm going to reinstall. Haven't played since the first installment of the Brotherhood questline, what are the big updates?

Also: Will my Bloodied Explosive laser rifle still murder everything?

Edit: is it just me or is there not a good way to browse the ITV updates for FO76?

Big updates were Legendary Perks, Legendary Crafting and the rest of the BoS quest. Nuclear Winter has been sunset and instead we got monthly rotating world servers with special themes. Haven't touched them and, from what I can tell, no one really cares about them since nothing you do on those servers can be carried over to the normal ones.

Explosive energy weapons still wreck just about everything with the exception of the bosses.

No, it's not just you. There are no archives or anything to search for specific ITVs so you have to scroll through the entire News section to find them.

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/news

At least I don't think there are archives, never seen any...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the specific rule handling that is different between FO4 and F76 really blows my mind.
- rippers are poop
- flamers are hilariously strong
- the railway rifle can shoot full auto e: and are also hilariously strong

e: while ripper, chainsaw and mr. handy buzz blade are poop, this is delightful

I guess you can put bullets in it, sure
e: comparing it to other miniguns, the bash damage definitely applies to the ripper effect, and so does the armor reduction from stabilized, so I expect armor piercing is much better
the tri barrel mod feels stronger but I'm not sure

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 30, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lmao that is so satisfying, stomping around in a walking tank suit and plowing through everything in a constant shower of bloody chunks and splatter sounds

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You don't need bullets to make the barrel spin?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Nope. That's why I put a prime receiver on mine so that I wouldn't accidentally load it with ammo.

It makes the melee kill DOs a snap.

IIRC the hit rate depends on the barrel speed so the rapid one is the best mod for DPS.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
A couple pointers for people who come late to the Shredder build party.

The only perks that affect a no ammo Minigun with a Shredder mod are
Basher, Exterminator, Tenderizer and Stabilized.

Bloody Mess, Melee Perks, Heavy Weapon Perks, Adrenaline, Glow Sight and Nerd Rage do nothing.

Legendary modifiers:

Bash Damage is the secondary you want. Any Minigun will do but the 50% Bash Damage modifier does A LOT of work here.

Anti Armor and Vampire are the only primary modifiers that do anything. AA/Bash Damage is the king in terms of sheer DPS since AA stacks with Stabilized. If you feel funny, use a Vamp/Bash Damage on Earle or the Queen to turn on god mode.

Bloodied, Junkies, Two-Shot, Furious, Nocturnal, enemy specific ones, don't increase the damage at all. All of those will still murder poo poo but they only do base damage.

Berserker is an interesting alternative as it doesn't apply neither buff nor debuff, so you can use it in PA without getting the Berserker armor debuff. Still, "only" base damage.

For drugs, the only ones that work are Buffout and Psychobuff since they affect strength. Psychobuff, however, does not increase the damage you deal so you are better off with the cheaper Buffout.

Alcohol works as it increases Strength directly.

For Mutations, anything that lowers your strength will reduce damage dealt as a Shredder Build is strength above all else. Adrenal Reaction, like Nerd Rage, does nothing.

For gear I recommend PA to get the most out of it.

For non PA, wnile not recommended, I'd go Unyielding to boost strength further, +Strength on all pieces but the Torso to go the extra mile and a Pneumatic mod on the Torso to reduce the chance of getting staggered. Outside of PA, getting staggered is your biggest enemy for this build.

Prime Reciever gives no additional damage.

If you don't pop stimpacks every time your health drops I would suggest you go with Emergency Protocols on the PA torso. The additional damage reduction from ER while below 20% health is incredibly useful.

So the TL;DR:

You want 15 Strength
AA or Vamp with 50% Bash Damage
Drink alcohol and/or slam Buffout
Be in PA

The third * can be anything you want, 90% Weight Reduction being the best.

And remember to NOT pick up any ammo as that will instantly reload the gun and the fun is gone.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 30, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

You don't need bullets to make the barrel spin?

in fact if it has bullets in it, the shredder effect does not work! so either don't carry ammo, or fit it with a Prime barrel whenever you get that unlocked (I haven't)

Sensenmann posted:

The only perks that affect a no ammo Minigun with a Shredder mod are
Basher, Exterminator, Tenderizer and Stabilized.

I'm pretty sure Taking One For The Team applies, and I have read/heard that Collateral Damage also triggers

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 30, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

in fact if it has bullets in it, the shredder effect does not work! so either don't carry ammo, or fit it with a Prime barrel whenever you get that unlocked (I haven't)

I'm pretty sure Taking One For The Team applies, and I have read/heard that Collateral Damage also triggers

I didn't bother including Legendary Perks as most of them are not fire and forget, they are conditional and/or based on chance.

Taking One for the Team doesn't work unless you're on a team with at least 1 other player AND get attacked before you shred the poor sod who got in the way. It's not a permanent buff as it gets reset once your victim is shredded. Similar to how Furious resets when you hit a different enemy and starts from scratch again.

Collateral Damage is a 20% chance on enemy death, if maxed out. Same for Far Flung Fireworks. They don't buff your damage directly, they just deal a certain amount of damage to enemies being close to your last victim.

You can use them but there are better LPs to slot in with a shredder build. Legendary Strength, for example.

Short of the bosses, everything is usually dead before the TOftT buff has a chance to get applied anyways. :)

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 1, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Next week is the new season and mothman event.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sensenmann posted:

Taking One for the Team doesn't work unless you're on a team with at least 1 other player AND get attacked before you shred the poor sod who got in the way. It's not a permanent buff as it gets reset once your victim is shredded. Similar to how Furious resets when you hit a different enemy and starts from scratch again.

for me if I'm in some place like west tek or in daily ops I'm often getting shot by stuff before I can run up to it, so it feels like it's still pretty useful :shrug:
e: I hoarded up a little bit of scrip and was all set to roll some two star miniguns to try to get an Anti-Armor/Bashing roll and ... got it on the first try, thanks game :smuggo:
and yeah it makes a dramatic difference even in PA with Stabilized, not that it really matters on anything but Earl and the SB Queen

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 2, 2021

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Next week is the new season and mothman event.

I looked up the Season 7 rewards and...wow they made them even worse than Season 6. There are three things I barely interest me, the katana, mysterious house set and the allies, but I have a felling at least one of those will be a 1st only reward.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

MH Knights posted:

I looked up the Season 7 rewards and...wow they made them even worse than Season 6. There are three things I barely interest me, the katana, mysterious house set and the allies, but I have a felling at least one of those will be a 1st only reward.

It will all be a surprise to me!

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Maybe I can finally get my bloody fixer with this new poo poo

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/seasons

Season 7 rewards are up. New building set at rank 98 and two new companions at 25 and 50.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Psychedelicatessen posted:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/seasons

Season 7 rewards are up. New building set at rank 98 and two new companions at 25 and 50.

Some nice CAMP and cosmetics. Although 8 slots being taken up by the same power armor paint is lol.

Too bad they pushed back the zetans expansion. This season goes with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

?????
The alien expansion is gone and so is 4 star legendaries.