Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Tampa Bay Lightning should play at the Captain Stabbin Center

The Thunderdome and the Ice Palace are much better names than the Trop and Oil Company Nobody’s Heard Of Arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
In the fight nobody wanted, Keith Olbermann is twitter feuding with the Barstool gang b/c he conflated Barstool, the shooter's mom, and Trump's rhetoric as the cause of the latest school shooting. After getting called out by everyone, he's now posting pictures of shelter dogs that are due to be put down tomorrow as a way of posting through it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

In the fight nobody wanted, Keith Olbermann is twitter feuding with the Barstool gang b/c he conflated Barstool, the shooter's mom, and Trump's rhetoric as the cause of the latest school shooting. After getting called out by everyone, he's now posting pictures of shelter dogs that are due to be put down tomorrow as a way of posting through it.

God bless all who post.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

skaboomizzy posted:

I unfollowed Keith due to the dogs, and I love dogs

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

skaboomizzy posted:

To be fair, he has been posting shelter dogs close to being euthanized for some time. Even has a donations account to get them into foster care.

But yeah, the Barstool thing is a long reach.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1466501368118718467

Not sure that anyone cares about this if you don't live in the NY area but WFAN keeps moving their lovely shows around.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i stopped paying attention to keith in part because he's now an rss feed for dog adaption

given all the bridges he's burned he might as well be ranting in the mirror daily

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1466501368118718467

Not sure that anyone cares about this if you don't live in the NY area but WFAN keeps moving their lovely shows around.

how the hell did tiki get a promotion

and maggie had quite the run there, starting with having her show reduced because mike francesa decided to unretire

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Vertical Lime posted:

i stopped paying attention to keith in part because he's now an rss feed for dog adaption

given all the bridges he's burned he might as well be ranting in the mirror daily

and maggie had quite the run there, starting with having her show reduced because mike francesa decided to unretire

She shouldn't have apologized for making GBS threads all over Jim Dolan.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

Did Tiki get a promotion though? That MFer started as like a Today show or GMA correspondent and I don’t think he lasted long afaik. Then he disappeared for a long while.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Did Tiki get a promotion though? That MFer started as like a Today show or GMA correspondent and I don’t think he lasted long afaik. Then he disappeared for a long while.

It's basically hateable scumbags all day from morning till night on WFAN. Boomer to Tiki to Carton.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mahoning posted:

Tiki was on NBC’s Today show and part of the studio crew for Sunday Night Football when he retired, but only lasted like two years. He basically tried to do the same stuff that Michael Strahan and now Nate Burleson are doing, but wasn’t nearly as good at it. There was also the whole thing around that same time of him leaving his pregnant wife to run off with an intern he met from the Today show. He basically disappeared for a few years, then started popping up on radio and occasionally as a color commentator again.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MaggieGray/status/1466770565025472515

so maggie is taking over the vacant cbs sports radio slot

mcmagic posted:

It's basically hateable scumbags all day from morning till night on WFAN. Boomer to Tiki to Carton.

now that steve sommers "retired" there's even less of a reason to listen

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Tiki was on NBC’s Today show and part of the studio crew for Sunday Night Football when he retired, but only lasted like two years. He basically tried to do the same stuff that Michael Strahan and now Nate Burleson are doing, but wasn’t nearly as good at it. There was also the whole thing around that same time of him leaving his pregnant wife to run off with an intern he met from the Today show. He basically disappeared for a few years, then started popping up on radio and occasionally as a color commentator again.

I swear I remember Tiki hosting Fox News shows too at one point.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Niwrad posted:

I swear I remember Tiki hosting Fox News shows too at one point.

Wikipedia says he did in fact co-host Fox & Friends on Tuesdays at one point, but implies it was when he was still playing.

It’s kinda funny now, but there was a lot of noise about what network Tiki would go to when he retired. Turned out he wasn’t particularly great, the Giants winning the Super Bowl the season after he retired (And did some high profile bad-mouthing of them, notably Coughlin and Eli), and then his other poo poo ran him away pretty quick, and he was basically forgotten by everyone for a few years there.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Tiki can come home to UVA anytime he wants

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Ronde was always the better Barber.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oooh here's a rare one, some beat reporter unironically dropping a "back in my day"

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1468215003341893634

and decided to double down on it

https://twitter.com/ByJerrySullivan/status/1468191046022664193

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Cowherd talking out of both sides of his mouth...

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1468273642278731776

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That’s pretty well par for the course with Colin and more than a few times he’s admitted his job isn’t to be right, it’s to be interesting or engaging, and frankly he’s right about that. He said a while back for example that he’s got no real reason to troll smaller market fan bases because there isn’t much point in doing it when he could instead go after a larger audience.

This isn’t to lionize the guy or say I’m a fan of his, but I can appreciate that he at least knows what the job really is and sticks to it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Which part of his job is the racist poo poo tho

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Which part of his job is the racist poo poo tho

the "being in sports radio" part

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Are submissions closed for the sports journalism Emmys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwUTeGVqnU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1471179718166781964

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status/1471250598116745216

Man just a beautiful exponential curve of racism over the course of that tweet.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao

quote:

There’s no replacing the Sun. Without its light, plant life wouldn’t grow, and we wouldn’t have oxygen to breathe or crops to eat. Without its heat, the oceans and land masses would freeze, reducing Earth to “a lifeless ball of ice-coated rock,” just like all the others. Without its gravitational pull to hold the planets in orbit, we’d hurtle without connection or purpose through the incalculable, implacable expanse of space. (Well, more than we already do, anyway.) Nothing can make up for the loss of the spark of radiance that’s supposed to be at the center of it all.

Zion Williamson is the Sun of the New Orleans Pelicans.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/12/14/22834443/zion-williamson-foot-injury-setback-new-orleans-pelicans-trade

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Woah , get this guy in Nature asap.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dan Devine was the dumbest guest back when I listened to the Ringer NBA show and I'm glad to see he is still the dumbest.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That sort of 6th grade book report lede seems to be the Ringer house style and it drives me nuts, it blows my mind that there can be editors that are allowing and even encouraging that poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status/1471250598116745216

Man just a beautiful exponential curve of racism over the course of that tweet.

Jeeeeeesus :stare:

I knew Doug was a poo poo but goddamn he’s just throwing it all out there isn’t he

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Imagine being impressed that someone went to Florida State

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The quality of writing at the ringer has divebombed straight into the toity since the Spotify deal and the union situation. It’s embarrassing but I guess the website isn’t the focus any more, clearly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think that website has ever had good writing. It's pretty clearly just window dressing for the podcasts which is all they really care about.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They've had a ton of staff turnover as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think it was basically Simmons’ stated vision for the site when it started that it would be short, light articles you could scroll through while taking a poo poo. The Quibi of written content, basically.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

General Dog posted:

I think it was basically Simmons’ stated vision for the site when it started that it would be short, light articles you could scroll through while taking a poo poo. The Quibi of written content, basically.

This is accurate but that isn’t inherently a bad thing. The execution is just total schlock at this point. All the people who can actually write worth a poo poo have left (Robert mays springs to mind, Concepcion, so on) or might as well have (Shea Serrano I guess even though his stuff was never good imo).

I miss Grantland

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, other than the occasional Brian Phillips piece I've never been a fan of any of their hires. Dan Devine seems like a nice guy though

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

General Dog posted:

Ah yes, Sports Axios, the thing everybody wanted.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Yeah I don’t mind a shorter format, but they’ve just never really had must-read columnists.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My biggest issue with The Ringer was how it was a late entrant in a crowded marketplace (websites offering a daily churn of articles about sports and pop culture) and it never really did anything to separate itself from the rest of the pack. I'm sure they have a bunch of articles about the Urban Meyer firing, but so does every other site on the web. The whole website just seemed (and seems) inessential. I already have a half-dozen places where people will break down the latest Marvel trailer or post-credits sequence, why do I need one more?

To the extent that The Ringer had a unique value proposition, it was in the output of its founder, and he barely writes for them any more and the value of the stuff he does put out has fallen off a cliff relative to his heyday at ESPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I used to read the Ringer daily, listened to their NBA pod (not Bill's), etc but over the last couple years I've just kinda trailed off. My big favorites were NBA Desktop and Shea Serrano's writing and now that those are respectively Takeline and his books, I guess I'm just not in the same market anymore idk.