Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

Finite skill points that have to be spent equally on aesthetic building options and practical tools is never going to end well. ARK did exactly this, too, and it was terrible. Since corner pieces, slopes, etc. were bought separately, no one would ever use them, because those points could be spent much more wisely. So every building was an ugly cube and half the building options never got used. Having to buy each tier with no way whatsoever to respec, inherit, or "sell back" these investments meant you could just build a character "wrong", and unless you join a massive clan and you're the designated builder nobody is going to want you.

I mean another big issue is that Ark fully revolves around getting all your poo poo burned to the ground on the regular so big ugly cubes are way more efficient. I'm more into the PvE options available in Valheim or Conan because it's way more fun building an aesthetically pleasing AND functional base in those games instead of a super efficiency triple walled metal gunbox in Ark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Spanish Matlock posted:

I mean another big issue is that Ark fully revolves around getting all your poo poo burned to the ground on the regular so big ugly cubes are way more efficient. I'm more into the PvE options available in Valheim or Conan because it's way more fun building an aesthetically pleasing AND functional base in those games instead of a super efficiency triple walled metal gunbox in Ark.
Doesn't Conan also use the weird "engram" system of buying/unlocking recipes that ARK does?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Flesh Forge posted:

re: Project Zomboid
Youtuber Nurse is doing a bunch of short (30 second) trailers for each of the professions, with some pretty good highlighting of unique traits I never noticed about each of the professions, also her voice is like butter on french toast

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIVH2jpqsftBkYVpnynHRdw

While I love watching other people play PZ, I have never been able to get the hang of its slow rear end turning and die so quickly.
Unless I turn spawn rates down dramatically, but then that kind of just makes it easy.
Always looking for new people to watch though.
Have watched a lot of Pr1vatelimes videos.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
well yeah the only real interest the game has is avoiding death from hilariously numerous hordes of zombies, and if you do the smart thing like go up into the woods and avoid the zombies entirely then the game is super boring.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Hey, they had npc's. Like, for one update. That they're totally gonna bring back. Honest.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Vib Rib posted:

Doesn't Conan also use the weird "engram" system of buying/unlocking recipes that ARK does?

yeah but you get the core recipes at, say, 10 points, and aesthetic variations at 1 point, and its easy enough to respec. also building blocks are unlocked in groups and tiers. you unlock normal and corner and sloped buildings together, and then you unlock tier 2 and 3 variants.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

played a few hours of Dead in Vinland. It seems ok but theres some real tedious daily chores. Plus the characters are written badly, I simply cant deal with the perma sullen teeeeeen daughter who rolls her eyes ar everything teenly. thats an american convention! vikings were raised in an entirely different social structure!! mediocre overall imo

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Is anyone trying myth of empires? I've been watching a couple of streams and it looks good so far, but I try to be cautious with my limited budget these days.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Jinnigan posted:

played a few hours of Dead in Vinland. It seems ok but theres some real tedious daily chores. Plus the characters are written badly, I simply cant deal with the perma sullen teeeeeen daughter who rolls her eyes ar everything teenly. thats an american convention! vikings were raised in an entirely different social structure!! mediocre overall imo

Obviously that's annoying, and all, but teens gonna teen anywhere and anywhen i bet

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Pigbottom posted:

Is anyone trying myth of empires? I've been watching a couple of streams and it looks good so far, but I try to be cautious with my limited budget these days.

I played it for like a day. It's a lot of fun, and there's a lot of different gameplay/advancement loops. Some of the translation is pretty janky though. The game also really needs a small group to really enjoy it - there's just a ton of stuff to build and do, and a lot of gameplay is tied into guild mechanics (though I guess you could make a solo guild)

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Jackson Taus posted:

I played it for like a day. It's a lot of fun, and there's a lot of different gameplay/advancement loops. Some of the translation is pretty janky though. The game also really needs a small group to really enjoy it - there's just a ton of stuff to build and do, and a lot of gameplay is tied into guild mechanics (though I guess you could make a solo guild)

There are also more skills than one player can mechanically unlock, so once you get to the mid/late game you have to start to specialize, which means you need a guild.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah Icarus's advancement system is literally ark, which has many well-understood weaknesses. I thought that the whole idea of icarus was "well you don't need to grind mobs or crafting for levelups, everything's centered around these missions, so instead of grinding mobs for levels, you grind missions which keeps things fresh, and as you level and gain access to building materials, tools, whatever, you can take on more expansive missions". Which would deal with the weaknesses of ark in an interesting way. The fact that they just kind of got bored of that idea halfway through and it's ark with a third nipple is infuriating and I guess expected.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Jinnigan posted:

yeah but you get the core recipes at, say, 10 points, and aesthetic variations at 1 point, and its easy enough to respec. also building blocks are unlocked in groups and tiers. you unlock normal and corner and sloped buildings together, and then you unlock tier 2 and 3 variants.

Yeah it's definitely similar to but better than Ark. The big difference though is that you can play Conan together with friends and just sort of progress through the "story" without the game feeling completely empty and dedicated to pvp. Which means all those aesthetic choices have a function.

I have love for the people who play on Ark PvE servers but at some point you absolutely realize that you're just stockpiling resources for a fight that's never coming.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

I was less successful putting this down than I thought I'd be. If anyone wants to check it out, come to Shanguan Commandery (28) and then Ningxi County (07) I've got a small guild set up (just me currently) and you can leech off my stuff. Idea would be rank up in safety in a PVE area and then switch to a PVP county when we're well-provisioned to set up a beach head.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

The Conan model is basically my ideal survival game. Build yourself up, hang out with friends, do PvE stuff with your survival gear. Any other games in that model?

Jackson Taus posted:

I was less successful putting this down than I thought I'd be. If anyone wants to check it out, come to Shanguan Commandery (28) and then Ningxi County (07) I've got a small guild set up (just me currently) and you can leech off my stuff. Idea would be rank up in safety in a PVE area and then switch to a PVP county when we're well-provisioned to set up a beach head.

hmm this does sound like it might be up my alley. what's the PVE stuff like? how does the 'overworld' work? can you set up a private server with your friends or is it like one big server or whatever?

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 26, 2021

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Anyone try/trying Len’s Island? Seems like it has promise, but idk if it’s $25 worth of promise

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

The Conan model is basically my ideal survival game. Build yourself up, hang out with friends, do PvE stuff with your survival gear. Any other games in that model?

hmm this does sound like it might be up my alley. what's the PVE stuff like? how does the 'overworld' work? can you set up a private server with your friends or is it like one big server or whatever?

That model is more or less perfected by valheim, I think, but maybe you see some important qualities conan has that valheim doesn't?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

That model is more or less perfected by valheim, I think, but maybe you see some important qualities conan has that valheim doesn't?

honestly the big one is just that my friends and i already played the poo poo out of both valheim and conan, but if there is one thing conan has over valheim is just that there's much more of an endgame and some pretty fun 'raid progression' stuff. overall i definitely love valheim more than conan though

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've tried more than once to get further into Valheim but I always get really bored at the early metal grind and the sheer amount of overland bunnyhopping travel I have to do to find the dungeons that act as progression bottlenecks.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

You can pay coins to transfer between nearby counties. It costs more the more stuff you bring with you. So we could level up to decent levels, put on decent gear, and then use that to get a headstart on a PVP realm. If we had multiple players we could have some folks go on an expedition to the PVP realm while folks who don't want to can maintain the PVE base. The PVP area has higher loot and resource drop rates.

They also have private servers as well as the public ones.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Jackson Taus posted:

alright im in. picked that server. born in the forest (?). character name "heijin"
e: they got a wiki but it goes straight to a chinese wiki. lmao
e2: it's intriguing but its definitely unreal engine and it's definitely got a lot of jank. might be a little too rough for me

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 28, 2021

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

alright im in. picked that server. born in the forest (?). character name "heijin"
e: they got a wiki but it goes straight to a chinese wiki. lmao
e2: it's intriguing but its definitely unreal engine and it's definitely got a lot of jank. might be a little too rough for me

Sorry didn't see this before logging out for the night. Guild name is Tenplu Bateratua or something like that. Hit apply I guess and when I get in in the morning I'll add you. I'm slightly west of the starting locations (the game gets more challenging the further west you go) but I'm still on the main island there, basically across from the main city.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I enjoyed Conan quite a bit when I played, it helped a lot that I was able to get help from some higher level players. Its a decent game surprisingly, considering Funcom is involved.

I grabbed The Survivalists and have been liking that so far, definetly more than Escapists. I totally get why they kept the monkey interface simple, but dang it would be nice to set up Factorio-style monkey automation.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I was interested in Icarus till I read the thread. Then I decided to see what Reddit had to say. I was shocked to find reasonable people having civil discussions and respecting each other's opinions. loving scandalous!

Even more shocking it isn't an echo chamber and most people don't think it's a good game

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Turns out survival crafting games, being a genre primarily catered to by indie devs, have a long history of being burned and are often more hesitant to trust when the next big thing rolls out promising the moon.
Often, but not always. Sometimes it just makes it easier to get suckered.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So what's the verdict? Is Icarus actually a poo poo game?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Kraftwerk posted:

So what's the verdict? Is Icarus actually a poo poo game?

Isn't its core mechanic, the thing supposed to seperate it from every other generic piece of first person ARK inspired poo poo in the pile, still not actually in the game?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ShootaBoy posted:

Isn't its core mechanic, the thing supposed to seperate it from every other generic piece of first person ARK inspired poo poo in the pile, still not actually in the game?
It releases tomorrow, so I guess we'll see.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

if you're talking about the mission system, it was in the last beta based on a stream I watched. They have a "whats included in 1.0" post on the steam page and there's now a screen shot that has a gun in it, something I wasn't sure was even going to ever show up.

I hope at some point it actually becomes something good and worth getting but I'm not seeing it right now.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OgNar posted:

While I love watching other people play PZ, I have never been able to get the hang of its slow rear end turning and die so quickly.
Unless I turn spawn rates down dramatically, but then that kind of just makes it easy.
Always looking for new people to watch though.
Have watched a lot of Pr1vatelimes videos.

If you face with the mouse, the turning is pretty quick. WASD + mouse has worked pretty well for me. Just make sure to rebind Q because you do not want to fat finger a yell at a bad time.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I was watching Nilaus, who mainly streams Satisfactory and Factorio but also plays survival games. He played Icarus this evening and he hated it with a burning passion. He played most of the betas as well and none of his major beefs were fixed. Things like making night time mandatory until you have enough skill to build a hut, the evenings, nights, and mornings are too dark, and you can't carry a torch and use your knife at the same time. That's just poo poo gameplay, and it's twice as bad for streamers since no one wants to watch you sit in the dark for 20 minutes.

So yeah, a big pass from me.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I am shocked that the guy who made Day Z made another game that basically hates its userbase as much as possible.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It doesn't seem horrible from what I've played but that sure doesn't mean it's good or unique in any meaningful way, either.

Just that the bar for survival games is still that low.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I mean the mechanics seem grindy and boring; the idea of session-based play means you're now grinding more than before as you have to re-grind for each embarkation. Plus the two things that differentiated this - a meta-game between runs and alien planets - don't seem to exist.

Maybe I'm just burned out on too many EA survival titles.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Is the metagame still not implemented right? The between "runs" stuff?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I was suspicious of the game for all the reasons brought up here (Dean Hall, general vibes, etc etc) but "EA launch without the single unique defining feature of the game" was not on my bingo card, lol

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they can just patch in the the original concepts whenever they want, that's the easy part

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Holy poo poo is it bad.

Dean was on discord bragging how they will be patching in backpacks today. He was so proud that they can update the game so fast. Backpacks!

The first actual mission is so garbage. You build your hut and then have to put down these 3 radar dishes. So you spend an hour or so farming for your equipment and then go put the 1st radar down.

That's when the game spawn 2 bears on top of you. Not around you, not near you, literally on top of you. You die drat near instantly. When I asked in discord about this I was told that oh ya you need to build a house on top of the radar spot then fight the bears through windows. I know I am probably not explaining how stupid this is but trust me its really, really stupid.

I could almost forgive it if in the mission briefing it said the radar dishes attract hostile wildlife or something, but nope nothing.

Also, in the discord, they are repeatedly begging people to review the game.

Edit: Got to love the everquest style xp loss on death too. So loving atupid.

Raged fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 4, 2021

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Love reading the rage in the past few posts about Icarus. No defining features apart from the whole point of the game: missions.

Bears spawning on top of you is clearly a bug. Not sure why you're taking it so personally.
No torch holding while carrying a weapon isn't a big deal. Just drop a floor torch... Also, in larger caves you'll want to setup a processing station right inside anyway so it's faster to transport the material in ingot form.
Grinding reduces each session as you unlock more in the blueprint and talent tree.

Game pretty good. Runs so smoothly and looks very nice. Lots more flora since beta. Missions are interesting. Great having access to the workshop and the upgrade path outside of the planet-side gameplay.

truther fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played with two friends tonight and I was complaining about the darkness so much that eventually we swapped screenshots in discord. Theirs looked a ok and I could see gently caress all after dark, and even during midday under a couple of trees I could see gently caress all. I suspect it depends on some setting but I couldn't figure out what. My monitor brightness was on full, and I cranked up my Nvidia gamma. I'm on a 3080 so maybe if the settings are set lower it might be better.

Also the stuff about the bears is 100% true. Another time, two mountain lions spawned on me and murdered me. Also you have to buy every single part of the house with a point from leveling up that you could instead spend on bandages, spears, bows, or arrows separately: walls, beams, roof, door all cost a point. I told my friends that I will play about five missions total but that I'm not really having fun.