Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

!Klams posted:

New Bad Lip Reading is out of Dune and its gooood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMq27uygsY

also lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

To what does "orange" in "orange catholic bible" refer?
Already answered earlier in the thread:

skasion posted:

Orange is a holy color in the Hindu & Buddhist tradition. Bhikkus wear orange

Also traditionally associated with the Protestants. So “orange Catholic” is I think intended to feel like an ecumenical, all-embracing thing.

There's a search-bar next to the bookmark icon up in the top-bar of the thread, for finding things like this.

EDIT: Also beaten, gently caress. :argh:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

what does "dune" mean. no I will not use the search button p&tia

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it refers to the sandy twin-sunned desert planet of Tatooine

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Mozi posted:

it refers to the sandy twin-sunned desert planet of Tatooine

That's actually Dune's monster, not the Dr. Dune of the tile

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tattooine sand is made of sparkling mounds, etc

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Man that's the joke format that gets me every time. I love it!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Soul Dentist posted:

Man that's the joke format that gets me every time. I love it!

:dadjoke:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Already answered earlier in the thread:

There's a search-bar next to the bookmark icon up in the top-bar of the thread, for finding things like this.

EDIT: Also beaten, gently caress. :argh:

The search bar was unhelpful, except for the line "yo mamma so fat she has an orange julius catholic bible"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Tree Bucket posted:

The search bar was unhelpful, except for the line "yo mamma so fat she has an orange julius catholic bible"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tree Bucket posted:

Lmao

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

skasion posted:

Also traditionally associated with the Protestants. So “orange Catholic” is I think intended to feel like an ecumenical, all-embracing thing.

There's also a semi-interesting appendix at the end of the first novel that goes into the ecumenical council that created this all-encompassing religion for space-age humanity.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

lmao best thread on the forums

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I'm out of town wandering the desert for a week or two. But after that I've got tix to see it on IMAX again on the 8th. :woop:

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

skasion posted:

It's the word "catholic" that's being used here in the sense of many different things coming together.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DebonaireD posted:

It's the word "catholic" that's being used here in the sense of many different things coming together.

eg (protestant, but not the martin luther style) Anglican church describes itself as Catholic.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

!Klams posted:

New Bad Lip Reading is out of Dune and its gooood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMq27uygsY

And now, the music video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXfSg7mLEdU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Catholic means ‘Universal’ so that makes sense.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBEMza8msw

Sardaukar be raising the roof.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fuschia tude posted:

There's also a semi-interesting appendix at the end of the first novel that goes into the ecumenical council that created this all-encompassing religion for space-age humanity.

Kinda lol that it's almost literally the amalgamated church from Futurama. And of course, given Dune's age and influence, it's more likely the inspiration for such.

Though the OCB is apparently meant to be as universal a holy text as possible; not necessarily a religion. Also, one of the real funny notes is how utterly disastrous its first introduction to the Emperor was for various reasons, and we're not at all told how it somehow went from that to being a state religion. (Though strikes me as a riff on how Christianity went from being persecuted by the Roman Empire to being its state religion)

Harmonia
Jul 1, 2014
Been a long time simce reading the books, and I wonder what type of weapons are used in the book/film?

I remember there are knives and swords, and the flying ornithopters but did the houses' infantry have some sort of rifles/muskets/laser guns?

I played the 90's Dune 2 pc game too but I doubt it was canon..

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Harmonia posted:

Been a long time simce reading the books, and I wonder what type of weapons are used in the book/film?

I remember there are knives and swords, and the flying ornithopters but did the houses' infantry have some sort of rifles/muskets/laser guns?

that would be too heavy for the infantry to carry

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Harmonia posted:

they have lasers which cause a huge explosion if they hit a shield and they have dart guns which fire specialized projectiles that can get through shields. "maula pistols" like the one that Paul ganks from a Fremen during the fight which Stilgar takes back after.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

they have lasers which cause a huge explosion if they hit a shield and they have dart guns which fire specialized projectiles that can get through shields. "maula pistols" like the one that Paul ganks from a Fremen during the fight which Stilgar takes back after.

and all of those were in the movie

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They also have antique gunpowder artillery they bust out as a surprise, though that never makes it into the adaptations

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
They didn't specify how antique the artillery was. The explosives used in the movie could be antique relative to the date of the attack. I don't recall the book saying it was WWII vintage artillery or anything.

But the point of them was to collapse the caves that the Atreides soldiers were hiding in, right? Seeing a scene like the stair scene, but with nowhere to drop troops behind, so just collapsing the cave instead, would have been interesting imo.

YoursTruly fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 29, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

YoursTruly posted:

They didn't specify how antique the artillery was. The explosives used in the movie could be antique relative to the date of the attack. I don't recall the book saying it was WWII vintage artillery or anything.

That would be dust in 30k years or whatever

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Let's not forget atomic weapons but the real weapon...is the MIND! *huffs spice gas*

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

kiimo posted:

Let's not forget atomic weapons but the real weapon...is the MIND! *huffs spice gas*

I tried my darnest to find if someone had done a meme similar to this but alas, so I had to make it myself

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Guild navigators can fold space by looking into the future, but only at the terrible cost of constantly dutch-ovening themselves in their own spice farts

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Bubblyblubber posted:

Guild navigators can fold space by looking into the future, but only at the terrible cost of constantly dutch-ovening themselves in their own spice farts

It makes me realize now that a LOT of Dune is based around farting, pooping and peeing.
What's Herberts deal with that?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Greggster posted:

It makes me realize now that a LOT of Dune is based around farting, pooping and peeing.
What's Herberts deal with that?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Farts are the mind-killer

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

"what? no, I think it was the dog."

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Frank Herbert is clearly the James Joyce of weird space drug operas.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

joneswt posted:

As someone who only knows about Dune through cultural osmosis, the Sardukar's intro with the guy throat-singing while they had the blood of sacrifices painted on their foreheads immediately established them as super bad news.

Man that scene was rad as hell. Now I wanna watch the movie again.

It's no surprise how that scene ended up being a meme goldmine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qhwLY2P_eQ

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

etalian posted:

It's no surprise how that scene ended up being a meme goldmine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qhwLY2P_eQ

:laffo:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Losing it over “pee pee for my hwi hwi” :lmao:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

uber_stoat posted:

"what? no, I think it was the dog."

You can trust ole Rank Herbert