Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Gaius Marius posted:

Don't you have some philosophy to write Voltaire?

Go soak your head, Rousseau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

WarpedNaba posted:

Go soak your head, Rousseau.

But Jimmy Carter is smarter.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Does anyone actually *want* to be Greek

I dunno, people keep signing up during Rush Week every year, so *someone* must :v:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

"For years, Asian women have always appeared with small eyes and freckles from the Western perspective."

:dafuq:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That abhorrent Chinese stereotype, Pippi Longstocking.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

a lot of chinese people were angry about lucy liu getting famous

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Zarin posted:

I dunno, people keep signing up during Rush Week every year, so *someone* must :v:
GAATORRRRR

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I remember Koreans being ripshit about Grace Park being famous since by Korean standards she is considered super ugly.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I know a lot of Chinese women who are convinced that white men have a “small eyes” fetish and thus talk lots of poo poo about other Chinese women with “small eyes”, and hell, I’ve even heard some claim that women they don’t like had plastic surgery to change their small eyes. It reminds me of how light-skinned black women are some times treated.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Smeef posted:

I know a lot of Chinese women who are convinced that white men have a “small eyes” fetish

Nobody tell them about Weebs, I want it to be a surprise

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember Koreans being ripshit about Grace Park being famous since by Korean standards she is considered super ugly.

Sandra Oh also.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Smeef posted:

I know a lot of Chinese women who are convinced that white men have a “small eyes” fetish and thus talk lots of poo poo about other Chinese women with “small eyes”, and hell, I’ve even heard some claim that women they don’t like had plastic surgery to change their small eyes. It reminds me of how light-skinned black women are some times treated.

yeah "white guy pretty" is a fairly common thing i've heard from chinese friends to describe people, often asian-american/canadian celebs. doesn't surprise me if it extends out to the rest of east asia.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Grand Fromage posted:

Haaahahahaha really ?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Actually super ugly or 'not tv beautiful'?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Yes

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Alchenar posted:

She still has all her original jaw bone. Shocking.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Grand Fromage posted:

Just for those who don't know Grace Park, try to peep this loving uggo.

People can be super loving weird.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The Korean "ideal" of beauty is insanely narrow. Also there is no middle ground. One is either the most beautiful creature to ever grace Gods green earth, or an repulsive uggmonster that deserves naught but shame and ridicule for daring to be seen in public.

And the difference between the two is arbitrary. You can be very pretty and very attractive, but if your nose is a fraction of a millimetre too long/short/wide/thin, then you are loving ugly scum beast. And will be called such everywhere you go, and given "your nose is fractionally too big/small/long/short etc." as the reason.

And whilst women cop it more, this weird "beauty" obsession doesn't spare boys. Boy band members get almost as much poo poo for not being millimetre perfectly pretty as girl bands. Almost.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TBF this is a western problem too. I hear some incomprehensible takes on which white 'slebs are ugly because their rear end is smaller than their head or w/e

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Strategic Tea posted:

TBF this is a western problem too. I hear some incomprehensible takes on which white 'slebs are ugly because their rear end is smaller than their head or w/e

I mean that would imply either a abnormally tiny rear end or an enormous head, unless weirdly talking one buttock per head in which case what’s up girl.

I used to think Korean female beauty norms were extreme but as the above poster noted the male stuff is next level. The other day I saw all these people staring at a billboard for a Samsung phone with all these computer generated dudes holding them in poses. It took me a while to realize they were K-pop fans and the computer generated dudes were insanely photoshopped real people.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

K-Pop is a cancer on the entire world.

The Boy Bands, the Girl Groups, the predatory and rapist promoters/labels, the insane young fans, the even more insane adult fans. Not a single part of it is good or right.

Also, not a single part of it is about the music they supposedly produce.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Oh yeah good point I'm thinking in buttocks per head not rear end per head. It is important to use appropriate scientific terms :hmmyes:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Just for those who don't know Grace Park,

You seem to be implying there's someone reading this who hasn't watched Battlestar Galactica.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Ugh, please DO NOT post tiny-eyed, freckled hags in the China thread.

:thanks:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Wait was looking Asian and having freckles supposed to be attractive to people?

Motherfucker why did no one tell me that?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres an asian-american aesthetic of plastic surgery and makeup and theres a korean aesthetic of plastic surgery and makeup

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
An interesting read on the history of plastic surgery in Korea.

https://humsci.stanford.edu/feature/stanford-scholar-traces-roots-south-koreas-cosmetic-surgery-surge-0

They point out possible cultural factors like gwansang, the ancient custom of reading the face to tell ones character or fortune, and racialized hierarchy imposed by Japanese occupiers. Of course the real story is Dr. Ralph Miller, chief plastic surgeon for the Marine Corps, who was stationed in Korea to help Korean victims of the war. He chose to stay after the war and invented the double-eyelid surgery, which he thought would help Koreans integrate into an international economy.

Later he would write, "The Asian eyelid produces a passive expression which seems to epitomize the stoical and unemotional manner of the Oriental".

In 2010 he was nominated as a top ten plastic surgeon of the millennium by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 26, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Does anyone actually *want* to be Greek

Piss off, you barbarian.

E: that was a joke but I'm not sure if it sounds like one :ohdear:

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 26, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
beauty aesthetics in modern countries are almost without exception produced by sacks of poo poo, korea is no exception

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

GAH Full screen before my coffee

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Haaahahahaha really ?

Yeah. Her skin's too dark, face/jaw too wide, she's fat. It's an offense to the Korean nation that she is famous.

The only time I've had the uncanny valley feeling around actual, IRL human beings was in Gangnam/Apgujeong. Wild poo poo. I don't know why anorexic gray alien (though grays are too dark, gotta bleach that) is the standard of beauty there but they can keep it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you get the same some neighborhoods in la, but you can deffo get that feelin hard in apgujeong

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. Her skin's too dark, face/jaw too wide, she's fat. It's an offense to the Korean nation that she is famous.

The only time I've had the uncanny valley feeling around actual, IRL human beings was in Gangnam/Apgujeong. Wild poo poo. I don't know why anorexic gray alien (though grays are too dark, gotta bleach that) is the standard of beauty there but they can keep it.

I remember reading a while back that they were angry at as mentioned above Sandra Oh. The gist of the article was how dare a Korean woman who doesn't look like a super model get famous overseas, she is representing the Korean people poorly!!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its always funny to go look up the authors of those dealios if theyre not anonymous

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mentioned this to my mother and her response was "the gently caress? She's beautiful" so take that, naysayers.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I didn’t know who Grace Park was until this thread mentioned her (I was too young to watch Battlestar Galactica) so I did a quick google and it turns out she used to be part of the Hollywood sex cult! The more you know

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cults are also a perennial korean favorite, not just the high profile ones like the moonies and park geunhyes thing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

(I was too young to watch Battlestar Galactica)

What did I ever do to invite such personal attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

cults are also a perennial korean favorite, not just the high profile ones like the moonies and park geunhyes thing

It's more of a general East Asian tradition since the 19th century, Japan still has a ton like Happy Science, and China got a new religion with so much popular support it ended with Jesus' brother declaring war on the Qing and the deadliest civil war in history.