Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Prometheus was good,

I, what? No. Look, it's fine to LIKE Prometheus, but it wasn't GOOD. Like, literally nothing about it makes sense. The plot, characterization, etc is just god awful. Literally every story beat 100% relies on every person in the movie being a complete gibbering dumbass. It's incredibly poor showing if you rely on the ignorance and lack of critical thinking of characters with no emotional reasons for it to tell a story.

Even the creator alien that gets awakened which is supposed to be the creators of humanity and an intelligence, sapient, species is little more than a mute, hulking violent movie monster. It has no reason to do anything it does. Even the Aliens in Alien are at least...you know. Alien.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Time to show the audience this character is a RISK TAKER and he's aggressively SEXY about it.

*takes off his helmet*

*is in a totally alien environment that the human body has zero adjustment to the toxins, germs, et al in the air. Dies days later*

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Ridley Scott has been responsible for directing some all-time greats, but right now his reasoning is about as untangled as a loving Pot Noodle.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Even the creator alien that gets awakened which is supposed to be the creators of humanity and an intelligence, sapient, species is little more than a mute, hulking violent movie monster. It has no reason to do anything it does. Even the Aliens in Alien are at least...you know. Alien.

I don't know how original the concept was, but I liked that part of the movie! Our gods, creators, architects gave absolutely zero fucks about us. We are not special.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Smeef posted:

The movie is about real events and follows them very closely. I can’t remember anything from the movie that wasn’t in the (nonfiction) book. Well, except they’re speaking English in France.

And one guy drops a goonsay “it’s science!” about rape (he was probably a D&D poster) even though it’s the 14th Century when fuckin’ nobody was practicing science. Come to think of it, it’s pretty goonsay of me to point that out, though.

There are apparently a few bits that are left out or taking liberties, mostly towards the end, as the leading lady and her husband would go on to have two more kids and remain married for ten years til his death, and the other guy was quickly knighted before the duel so it would be between social equals. Obviously a lot of the personal parts are having to fill in the blanks and go by whatever historical accounts are available, but apparently the duel itself in particular is reconstructed accurately from the numerous eyewitness accounts.

A couple of people are apparently turned off by the half-faceplates on the poster worn in the duel, but funny thing is I'm pretty sure they're also historically accurate. I presume they're jousting helmets, given the way the duel begins.

Also pretty sure science has been a thing much longer than we think, and the Church not only supported it but was the main source of dudes who actually observed and experimented and wrote things down since they were among the few people you could expect to actually know how to read and write. That said, medicine has had scarily little to do with science until very recently, doctors were a great way to die and literally had to be forced to learn things like 'washing your hands makes your patients die less'.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Nooner posted:

Starwars guy and matt damon all mad and old timey horse fighting sounds hella gay dude 2/5

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There are apparently a few bits that are left out or taking liberties, mostly towards the end, as the leading lady and her husband would go on to have two more kids and remain married for ten years til his death, and the other guy was quickly knighted before the duel so it would be between social equals. Obviously a lot of the personal parts are having to fill in the blanks and go by whatever historical accounts are available, but apparently the duel itself in particular is reconstructed accurately from the numerous eyewitness accounts.

A couple of people are apparently turned off by the half-faceplates on the poster worn in the duel, but funny thing is I'm pretty sure they're also historically accurate. I presume they're jousting helmets, given the way the duel begins.

Also pretty sure science has been a thing much longer than we think, and the Church not only supported it but was the main source of dudes who actually observed and experimented and wrote things down since they were among the few people you could expect to actually know how to read and write. That said, medicine has had scarily little to do with science until very recently, doctors were a great way to die and literally had to be forced to learn things like 'washing your hands makes your patients die less'.

Before the credits it notes the remainder of the survivors' lives very briefly. I don't really recall any significant differences between book and movie. No dropped characters, or merged characters, or new events, etc. There is a lot less exposition in the movie and a lot less 14th Century Norman legal analysis, though.

It doesn't talk about the specific helmets in the book, but yes, they start by jousting.

My science comment was even more of a quibble than that. I'm sure they had some form of 'natural philosophy' or whatever, but I thought in its contemporary meaning science didn't come until much later. However, I just googled it and learned that I am totally wrong and that the word science had been used in the modern sense even in 14th Century France, so uh, yeah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like the whole idea of medieval folks universally being ignorant morons living in their own poo poo and burning everyone who suggests not doing do as a witch is just as ahistorical as anything, and was mostly invented in the Renaissance by their if anything even more poo poo-covered descendants trying to make themselves look good.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Time to show the audience this character is a RISK TAKER and he's aggressively SEXY about it.

*takes off his helmet*

*is in a totally alien environment that the human body has zero adjustment to the toxins, germs, et al in the air. Dies days later*

He didn't die because he took his helmet off, he died because he was intentionally poisoned by one of the other characters.

Did you even watch the movie?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like the whole idea of medieval folks universally being ignorant morons living in their own poo poo and burning everyone who suggests not doing do as a witch is just as ahistorical as anything, and was mostly invented in the Renaissance by their if anything even more poo poo-covered descendants trying to make themselves look good.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that, and to be clear, it wasn't what I was trying to say, though it may have come across that way. In the movie one of the characters claims that if a woman orgasms it cannot be rape and that "it's science!" The use of the specific word science struck me as anachronistic compared to something like "everyone knows that" or "all learned men know that", etc. But then I looked it up and I was wrong about the history of the word science.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a lot of fun in historical accuracy, especially that a lot of people will be thrown off in the same way and think it's 'unrealistic' to depict things that don't go with their stereotypes of the era. Gladiator was originally going to have the gladiators advertising products and having action figures with their signature weapons- as they did in real life.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

PeterCat posted:

He didn't die because he took his helmet off, he died because he was intentionally poisoned by one of the other characters.

Did you even watch the movie?

Maybe they're thinking of the other bad Alien sequel where they take their helmets off

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nelson Mandingo posted:

*takes off his helmet*

This tedious goony "criticism" that always gets repeated only makes me like Prometheus more.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Smeef posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't argue with that, and to be clear, it wasn't what I was trying to say, though it may have come across that way. In the movie one of the characters claims that if a woman orgasms it cannot be rape and that "it's science!" The use of the specific word science struck me as anachronistic compared to something like "everyone knows that" or "all learned men know that", etc. But then I looked it up and I was wrong about the history of the word science.

I question their research methodology

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

the movie is pretty good about this, but it did fall into the trap having the characters cite laws that hadn't been a thing for literally a thousand years at that point. the reality of 12 century france just wasn't oppressive enough though, gotta spice it up.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Smeef posted:

I don't think the word science had quite the same meaning as it does now where it refers to a particular set of methodologies but yeah the word itself is old as heck and it's use at the time fits what you have described. But for a real goonsay, the film is in modern English. So when they use the word science it should have it's modern meaning, which IS historically inaccurate. Although I guess you could argue modern people frequently use the word science in a far broader sense than it's technical one.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really like Scott (I'm the only person alive who actually liked Alien Covenant.) But I didn't watch this movie because Ben Afflec and Matt Damon are charisma vacums and the two most boring men alive. Not that it would have mattered since there's no theatre in my town.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Nelson Mandingo posted:

*takes off his helmet*

I used to feel this way until the pandemic happened and now the way the crew acted on site seems realistic.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Can anyone tell me how its even possible to watch this movie? It ain't in any theaters and it doesnt seem to be streaming literally anywhere

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You have to go to one of those jousting and dinner places at precisely 6:48 pm, enter the men's bathroom and hit your head against the wall until you see the movie play out in your head.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

The Scientist posted:

Can anyone tell me how its even possible to watch this movie? It ain't in any theaters and it doesnt seem to be streaming literally anywhere

if you stop looking at your cell phone for 24 hours the movie will present itself to you

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

steinrokkan posted:

This tedious goony "criticism" that always gets repeated only makes me like Prometheus more.

If the character had complained about their mask being uncomfortable before taking it off it wouldn't even be unrealistic as we have seen

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Characters taking masks/helmets off is totally fine if "unrealistic". Audiences don't respond well to a person who's face is hidden, and it would be a nightmare to distinguish one character from another. Yeah you can do the dorky big bubble helmet with lights blasting the actors face but that's even more goofy.

Hell, it would be better if they just never had them in the first place - don't draw attention to the need for one and the audience is less likely to be annoyed by them not having it. However this only really works in a setting where there isn't an airborne threat. Like in Covenant, having people land with no helmet and then get infested by spores that would've been blocked by one feels inconsistent.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I’m the original version of the script he has a chest burster inside him and he is pissed the humans woke him up and now he’s going to die.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Characters taking masks/helmets off is totally fine if "unrealistic". Audiences don't respond well to a person who's face is hidden, and it would be a nightmare to distinguish one character from another. Yeah you can do the dorky big bubble helmet with lights blasting the actors face but that's even more goofy. .

Milo and POTUS posted:

If the character had complained about their mask being uncomfortable before taking it off it wouldn't even be unrealistic as we have seen

*Nerd voice on*

People only complain about the helmets thing because as viewers they know about face huggers. The characters don’t.

Where were the complaints about no helmets in Star Trek?

*Nerd voice off*

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Extra row of tits posted:

People only complain about the helmets thing because as viewers they know about face huggers

The facehugger busted thru Kane's helmet's faceshield like it was made of wet paper so that doesn't really even apply here anyways

People complain because in the first Alien they did an atmospheric analysis of the planet and thus kept their spacesuits and helmets on, instead of going "hey let's just take these off like we're in a 1950s sci-fi movie where the planet just conveniently has the same type of atmosphere as a California desert"

In other words people in the first Alien had logical and sensible reactions to things (aside from Brett, who was dumb enough to let the cat go and then hang out by himself in a dark and dank room when there was a weird alien creature that'd already killed one crewmember on the loose). In Prometheus people just do dumb poo poo because IITS (It's In The Script)

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In other words people in the first Alien had logical and sensible reactions to things (aside from Brett, who was dumb enough to let the cat go and then hang out by himself in a dark and dank room when there was a weird alien creature that'd already killed one crewmember on the loose). In Prometheus people just do dumb poo poo because IITS (It's In The Script)

No, it's their characters. Look at everything you just typed and have a think about the contrasts of the characters in the two movies, and what the point of that might be. Like you're so close to realizing a point you don't even know you're trying to make.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 27, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

stratdax posted:

No, it's their characters. Look at everything you just typed and have a think about the contrasts of the characters in the two movies, and what the point of that might be. Like you're so close to realizing a point you don't even know you're trying to make.

If you mean that the contrast is the characters in Prometheus are a bunch of idiots and the characters in Alien generally aren't, then sure

I mean, I'd like Prometheus better if it was Scott trying to make a contrast with the original film by saying "the blue-collar space truckers in Alien had more common sense than the supposedly more intelligent white-collar scientists and executives in Prometheus", but I don't think that was actually the point he was trying to make, I think he legitimately put stuff in the film becaue he thought it'd be shocking or cool

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Alien franchise was always a slasher film, it's perfectly reasonable for characters to act like dumb stoned teens

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Really there should have been a scene where the soon to be victims find an alien proboscis and dare each other to deep throat it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I will say I do agree with those who say that, given the events of recent years, the dumb poo poo that happens in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant has turned out to actually be far more plausible than most of us would have ever previously considered

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug
Best part of Prometheus and Covenant is when Michael Fassbender gets it on with himself. In addition to sporting a spectacular hog, as seen on full flailing display in Shame, it’s Ridley really probing the philosophical depths of the age old question of “what would you do if you met you?”

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like the whole idea of medieval folks universally being ignorant morons living in their own poo poo and burning everyone who suggests not doing do as a witch is just as ahistorical as anything.

Funny how there's a lot of people in the modern era who do act like this because it feels like the "correct" and "natural" way to behave due to their broken brains.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I didn't like The Martian.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Smeef posted:

Best part of Prometheus and Covenant is when Michael Fassbender gets it on with himself. In addition to sporting a spectacular hog, as seen on full flailing display in Shame, it’s Ridley really probing the philosophical depths of the age old question of “what would you do if you met you?”

was writing a response thinking you wrote "would you do you if you met you?"

anyways my answer was yes if I'm Michael Fassbender

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If you mean that the contrast is the characters in Prometheus are a bunch of idiots and the characters in Alien generally aren't, then sure

I mean, I'd like Prometheus better if it was Scott trying to make a contrast with the original film by saying "the blue-collar space truckers in Alien had more common sense than the supposedly more intelligent white-collar scientists and executives in Prometheus", but I don't think that was actually the point he was trying to make, I think he legitimately put stuff in the film becaue he thought it'd be shocking or cool

Why are you so worried about what you thought the director was trying to do?

Movies aren't puzzles.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

PeterCat posted:

Movies aren't puzzles.

Yeah, it’s almost like you are putting forward your thoughts about a movie during a discussion of that movie!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I don't like dumb characters in settings where they are ostensibly supposed to be smart (big company investing lots of money etc. etc.) because it paints the world at large as very cynical - a world where meritocracy means so little that even the richest man in the world can't hire competent help even when his life literally depends on it.

But yeah as others have said, many of the crew really don't matter they are a smoke screen. I mean I get that but does that imply that Weyland intentionally hired dumb people as, like, a practical joke then? On himself? You'd think his smoke screen "science" crew would be a bunch of normal, skilled people then. But theyre really not

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

The Scientist posted:

Buy a newspaper or call 777-FILM :cmon:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sure okay posted:

I don't like dumb characters in settings where they are ostensibly supposed to be smart (big company investing lots of money etc. etc.) because it paints the world at large as very cynical - a world where meritocracy means so little that even the richest man in the world can't hire competent help even when his life literally depends on it.

But yeah as others have said, many of the crew really don't matter they are a smoke screen. I mean I get that but does that imply that Weyland intentionally hired dumb people as, like, a practical joke then? On himself? You'd think his smoke screen "science" crew would be a bunch of normal, skilled people then. But theyre really not

Are you at all familiar with reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

PeterCat posted:

Movies aren't puzzles.

Ah, the good old "just turn your brain off" defense