Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...urce=reddit.com

this is either the worst coup attempt since turkey or they're trying to come up with a reason to arrest akhmetov

¿Por que no los dos? There was also the 2016 attempted coup in Montenegro, which went about just as well. Russian intelligence services have a reputation for ruthless efficiency but a bit of a patchy record in engineering regime changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

¿Por que no los dos? There was also the 2016 attempted coup in Montenegro, which went about just as well. Russian intelligence services have a reputation for ruthless efficiency but a bit of a patchy record in engineering regime changes.

That’s actually a sound engineering practice - like in programming, where your code should fail hard and fast. If you allow implicit poo poo or side effects, you get the American regime change work.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Can any of the 1 Estonian itt tell me why you guys are building fence on Russian border? Is this an attention thing?

Not Estonian, but a few weeks ago the insider had an article that Russia already engineered a refugee crisis in Finland back in 2015 to force them to be nice and renew relations after Crimea. Guessing that Estonia sees it as a possibility and a security risk?

https://theins.ru/news/246418

Поток беженцев прекратился только после того, как в Россию прибыл президент Финляндии, который попросил российские власти взять границу под контроль. Кризис был решен за 48 часов, и для этого было достаточно одного звонка Владимира Путина, рассказал Мантила. По информации британского издания Times, тогда же Финляндия согласилась прекратить замораживание двусторонних отношений с Россией, введенное после аннексии Крыма.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Judging by the incursion of tourists and pensioners with automatic weapons, tanks and air defense artillery in various neighbouring countries, building fences on the Russian border doesn't seem to be the worst option for them :thunk:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

orcane posted:

Judging by the incursion of tourists and pensioners with automatic weapons, tanks and air defense artillery in various neighbouring countries, building fences on the Russian border doesn't seem to be the worst option for them :thunk:

I need a PKM when traveling to protect myself from ukrainazis

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I really wonder if Die Grüne are gonna go for it and refuse to authorize opening Nord Stream II, it would be the kind of stuff that would make for some interesting foreign policy news in the near future :getin:
Aren't the German Greens very anti-nuclear? It will be difficult to make up an energy deficit while trying to cut the gas as a geopolitical weapon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Budzilla posted:

Aren't the German Greens very anti-nuclear? It will be difficult to make up an energy deficit while trying to cut the gas as a geopolitical weapon.

Yes, and there's no way they cut the gas. That's kinda the whole goal in making people dependent on the Nordstream pipes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So there I was, on holiday in Donetsk with a military kit and an RPK for hunting big game, when the ukrainian government gunned down hundreds of Russian speakers in the streets of Crimea. I saw this and I had to put a uniform on. But I forgot my identifying marks oops

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/e_wrzosek/status/1463551631648251915

It looks like a PiS-defying prosecutor has received a notification from the just launched Apple feature for warning users about state-sponsored cyberthreats.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

EU leaders calling each other discussing Russia. NATO says a conflict in Ukraine will "cost" the Russians. What the gently caress dies that mean? Like what the gently caress does costing Russia meanyou NATO brained fucks.

This is just further evidence that they will literally ignore Russia walking over Ukraine. It's honestly infuriating that strong words will be what the US and Europe say when the Russians are putting s400s on the dniper.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I dont think there will be a war in Ukraine this coming winter simply because the outcome is too unpredictable. Without outright war mobilization, for which it is too late, it should be happening right now, Russia might actually lose this war and Putin never bets on anything that isnt a sure thing.

Е: EU of course wont do anything whatsoever and whine a lot, US will help at least a little bit but Erdogan might see this as an opportunity to get himself out of his own troubles and get involved to some extent

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 28, 2021

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

EU leaders calling each other discussing Russia. NATO says a conflict in Ukraine will "cost" the Russians. What the gently caress dies that mean? Like what the gently caress does costing Russia meanyou NATO brained fucks.

This is just further evidence that they will literally ignore Russia walking over Ukraine. It's honestly infuriating that strong words will be what the US and Europe say when the Russians are putting s400s on the dniper.

We are very determined to go against Russia. Ursula vdL will personally draft a stern letter. Maybe not send it. But draft it for sure.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Can any of the 1 Estonian itt tell me why you guys are building fence on Russian border? Is this an attention thing?

It's not a fence, it's just barbed wire to hinder unwanted border crossings. There was a call-up of reserve troops to get it done. In case Russia tries something with migrants we might have to start manning the border more thoroughly and that would be quite a strain. Although we're less of a target for migration because it's difficult to cross the sea. There could still be involuntary border crossings.

However, we've had plans to reinforce the border in reaction to a police agent's kidnapping in 2016ish. But no money has been found for it. A few hundred million euros at least. That would look something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOIiby0BOYg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

It's not a fence, it's just barbed wire to hinder unwanted border crossings. There was a call-up of reserve troops to get it done. In case Russia tries something with migrants we might have to start manning the border more thoroughly and that would be quite a strain. Although we're less of a target for migration because it's difficult to cross the sea. There could still be involuntary border crossings.

However, we've had plans to reinforce the border in reaction to a police agent's kidnapping in 2016ish. But no money has been found for it. A few hundred million euros at least. That would look something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOIiby0BOYg

I see, our news then were a bit too frivolous with describing the endeavour as a “border barrier”. That video though, would be a sick Need for Speed map.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That looks like a fence to me tbh.

Not a wall granted.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Private Speech posted:

That looks like a fence to me tbh.

Not a wall granted.

It's what they planned after Crimea, not what they are building now.

Which I would call a wall, absolutely, it basically looks like sections of the Iron Curtain

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

No way Russia will risk repeating Lukas gambit which failed and also risk piss off their Muslum population, who have already been sort of punished recently

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/e_wrzosek/status/1463551631648251915

It looks like a PiS-defying prosecutor has received a notification from the just launched Apple feature for warning users about state-sponsored cyberthreats.

The best part about it is that around a day or two after this got reported, Israel announced it’s stopping Pegasus sales to a bunch of third world countries and Poland.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://eng.belta.by/president/view/lukashenko-says-ready-to-stop-energy-transit-if-poland-closes-border-145733-2021/

A month ago he went on about this as well, earning a direct rebuttal from Putin. Genuinely puzzled what’s the calculus here now.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1466001201586225154

:toot:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
OSINT researchers reporting that Russia is pulling troops from Siberia to the western border.

Joint exercises declared with Belarus

Getting hot here.

Not to start Clancy chat, but with the gas supplies that Europe gets from Azerbaijan, Algeria, Norway and LPG deliveries + current stockpiles what would be the napkin math of how much that would cover if Russian gas is totally cut off?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If Russian gas gets totally cut off, so all 4 pipelines deactivated and NS2 never activated, we’d be short roughly 35% of supply. Southern/Balkan countries would get serious problems, rest of us would probably get by with occasional interruptions, but a meaningful price hike.

It’s exceedingly unlikely that we would see it happen, however, since Americans want to sell their poo poo to us, and Turkey would start peeing oil if they lose their pipeline transit. Untethering EU energy system from Russian economy would be an impossibly idiotic move.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If Russian gas gets totally cut off, so all 4 pipelines deactivated and NS2 never activated, we’d be short roughly 35% of supply. Southern/Balkan countries would get serious problems, rest of us would probably get by with occasional interruptions, but a meaningful price hike.

It’s exceedingly unlikely that we would see it happen, however, since Americans want to sell their poo poo to us, and Turkey would start peeing oil if they lose their pipeline transit. Untethering EU energy system from Russian economy would be an impossibly idiotic move.

could germany just fire back up those nuke plants they stupidly closed after Fukushima to make up the difference or are their Greens still being stupid and stuck in the 80s and screaming about Chernobyl.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oracle posted:

could germany just fire back up those nuke plants they stupidly closed after Fukushima to make up the difference or are their Greens still being stupid and stuck in the 80s and screaming about Chernobyl.

They couldn't, but Greens being stuck in 80s has nothing to do with that. The plants have been properly decommissioned, so they have just 6 remaining - many of them not really in the condition to operate for much longer, with planned shutdown for all by the end of next year.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I have a distinct suspicion some of you are confusing gas and oil pipelines.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

I have a distinct suspicion some of you are confusing gas and oil pipelines.

What I meant there is that if Turkey loses TurkStream and BlueStream gas transit fees due to Russia hypothetically shutting both down, they’ll retaliate against Russia by setting up more streamlined crude oil exports from the Middle East to Europe, with them serving as the trusty expert middleman, of course. Not through the same pipelines, naturally.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 1, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just alternate gas, oil, Sputnik vax and vodka, be sure to keep the schedule updated so the recipients can fetch the correct bucket

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I don't think Germany is going to have a choice in the long run, most of Europe is positive on both Renewables and Nuclear, Germany is the only one pretending they can skate by on Russian gas imports and Renewables.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think Germany is going to have a choice in the long run, most of Europe is positive on both Renewables and Nuclear, Germany is the only one pretending they can skate by on Russian gas imports and Renewables.

And their asinine idea of pebble wood burning stoves as 'renewable.'

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Oracle posted:

And their asinine idea of pebble wood burning stoves as 'renewable.'

The “green taxonomy” is not finished yet, and the expectation is that Germany will genuinely attempt to will “green gas” into existence.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Little green gas men

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What if the gas is captured cow farts? Shouldn't that count?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Oracle posted:

Why would Jeremy Corbyn do this :argh:

Seriously, what is up with weirdos blaming policy on a party that has only been in government once 16 years ago as a minority partner? Germany's current energy policy is shaped by CDU/CSU, and has been for decades. Remember how Germany had a competitive wind and solar industry once? That was something the Greens actually did. That entire industry was destroyed by subsequent conservative governments.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As much as goons love to blame the nefarious and ill defined cabal of the "greens" for not supporting their pet policy and being stuck in the past, it is they who are stuck trying to resurrect something that hasn't been a viable public policy for decades and is getting less relevant by the day

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's more than that. Blaming the utterly idiotic and failed energy policy of the CDU/CSU on the Greens is a favourite among right wing dipshits in this country, so seeing conservative deflection strategy constantly repeated online is grating as hell.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i mean, merkel shutting down all nukes before she could get them replaced with renewables was insanely dumb, but are stated green policies any different on that particular topic?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Why would Jeremy Corbyn do this :argh:

Seriously, what is up with weirdos blaming policy on a party that has only been in government once 16 years ago as a minority partner? Germany's current energy policy is shaped by CDU/CSU, and has been for decades. Remember how Germany had a competitive wind and solar industry once? That was something the Greens actually did. That entire industry was destroyed by subsequent conservative governments.

I don’t know, it’s a really difficult to understand problem, how German greens and the Green Party could be seen as a major reason for the country’s anti-nuclear policies. Surely it couldn’t be that GRÜNE was founded as anti-nuclear energy party, with their ecological wisdom “pillar”. Neither could it be that the party has constantly organised protests, lobbied, and otherwise influenced the public sentiment for the 3 decades between its inception and the Fukushima disaster - which is the first instance of Merkel and CDU/CSU meaningfully changing their positions on nuclear energy - and continues to do so. Nor could it be that German greens (the people, not the formal party) hammering away at it for 50 years, basically, could have possibly influenced the public sentiment and government policy in a healthy democracy - opposition cannot have any meaningful achievements in those, right?

It’s truly an inscrutable mystery for the ages, let’s better focus on the dictator Merkel and her famous political leadership style of uncompromisingly bulldozing the opposition.

Oh and yeah, something something the solar and wind energy in Germany used to be beautiful and strong. (The point of that post was to complain about nuclear energy phaseout specifically.)

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 2, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yes, please post more conservative apologia. Poor Merkel and her CDU/CSU being bullied into supporting coal companies and destroying tens of thousands of jobs in renewables by a party that has only gotten over 10% of the vote twice in its entire history: 10.7% in 2009 and 14.8% in 2021.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh and yeah, something something the solar and wind energy in Germany used to be beautiful and strong. (The point of that post was to complain about nuclear energy phaseout specifically.)

Trying to divorce nuclear power from talk about energy policy is idiotic in the extreme.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm not blaming anything on greens i'm asking if their policies on nuclear are just as dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Hell, not EE related but my boomer mother blames the budget cut in forestry services on environmentalists and sushialists... it happened in 2014 with a freshly elected conservative government with absolute control of the institutions.

This is Spain, btw, and the prop is strong. I imagine other countries are the same.