Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember Koreans being ripshit about Grace Park being famous since by Korean standards she is considered super ugly.

I heard a lot of people saying that since Battlestar Galactica was huge when I was there. You don't want to know what they think of Sandra Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Battlestar Galactica wasn't aired on any of my country's three television channels, so...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Don Gato posted:

It's more of a general East Asian tradition since the 19th century, Japan still has a ton like Happy Science, and China got a new religion with so much popular support it ended with Jesus' brother declaring war on the Qing and the deadliest civil war in history.

Korea's extra into it. I've never seen so many cults anywhere else. One tried to recruit me within 24 hours of landing there, fortunately that was the hilarious vegan alien one so I got to enjoy skimming their insane book.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
in university I was leery of korean chicks approaching me because I knew a cult pitch was coming

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea's extra into it. I've never seen so many cults anywhere else. One tried to recruit me within 24 hours of landing there, fortunately that was the hilarious vegan alien one so I got to enjoy skimming their insane book.

Are they the ones with the "celestial mother" or whatever (I know, that barely narrows it down) where they all wear a necklace with a little picture of her on it?

I liked their restaurants.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I used to work at a venue that hosted an annual cult get together and it was 80% Korean grandmas, 20% crunchy Australian hippies.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Don Gato posted:

It's more of a general East Asian tradition since the 19th century, Japan still has a ton like Happy Science, and China got a new religion with so much popular support it ended with Jesus' brother declaring war on the Qing and the deadliest civil war in history.

If you want to stretch the definition of 'cult' to include millennarian religious movements, that could go back even further, with all the variations of the White Lotus movement.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrainDance posted:

Are they the ones with the "celestial mother" or whatever (I know, that barely narrows it down) where they all wear a necklace with a little picture of her on it?

I liked their restaurants.

Yeah the Loving Hut ones.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My Korean 'cult' story: (Not really about a proper cult and barely relevant, but gently caress you all, I want to tell it anyway.)

When I was living in PyeongChang, I made the mistake of opening the door one Saturday to the Jehovah's Witnesses doing their doorknock thing. I compounded my mistake by being polite and practicing my Korean with the sweet old lady and her young counterpart, (who was terrified of speaking to a foreigner.)

This led to the next week the same old lady coming round, but this time with a Fillipina woman in tow. And the pitch was "Hey! You're foreign, she's foreign. You have so much in common! Now join our church!" Again I was polite, because I am at heart a good boy. This was a mistake, as for the rest of my time there, approximately every second week they would come round and I would have to listen on my doorstep as they politely told me why I was going to hell unless I accepted the lord Jebus as my lord and savior. Often reading Bible passages at me and giving me pamphlets etc.

So yeah, cults and cult adjacent strains of Christianity seem to thrive in Korea.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BrigadierSensible posted:

So yeah, cults and cult adjacent strains of Christianity seem to thrive in Korea.

Much like small churches for Korean immigrants thrive on the US west coast.

Why they put them in strip malls next to bars, well it's cheap real estate I guess.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

BrigadierSensible posted:

My Korean 'cult' story: (Not really about a proper cult and barely relevant, but gently caress you all, I want to tell it anyway.)

When I was living in PyeongChang, I made the mistake of opening the door one Saturday to the Jehovah's Witnesses doing their doorknock thing. I compounded my mistake by being polite and practicing my Korean with the sweet old lady and her young counterpart, (who was terrified of speaking to a foreigner.)

This led to the next week the same old lady coming round, but this time with a Fillipina woman in tow. And the pitch was "Hey! You're foreign, she's foreign. You have so much in common! Now join our church!" Again I was polite, because I am at heart a good boy. This was a mistake, as for the rest of my time there, approximately every second week they would come round and I would have to listen on my doorstep as they politely told me why I was going to hell unless I accepted the lord Jebus as my lord and savior. Often reading Bible passages at me and giving me pamphlets etc.

I made a similar mistake with Jehovah's Witnesses as a child in Canada, especially once they figured out that I was home alone when most kids were in school for a couple of years in middle school due to home schooling due to medical issues. I humored them far too much, but to be honest, I found their attempts to discuss/politely argue religion kind of amusing, as a 13 year old. Especially given they were locals, and I was friends with two other kids that were in JW families in the neighborhood. Must have thought they *had* me.

Man, they tried for years before giving up. (one of them had immigrated from south korea, which I guess fits this particular strain of discussion, but I didn't really think of that as significant at the time)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was lucky and warned about the missionaries before I met one, so when they did try to follow me home I knew I had to lose them before returning so they wouldn't find out where I live and show up every weekend.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah the Loving Hut ones.

Loving Hut is drat fine vegan Chinese food tho :colbert:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

thetoughestbean posted:

I didn’t know who Grace Park was until this thread mentioned her (I was too young to watch Battlestar Galactica) so I did a quick google and it turns out she used to be part of the Hollywood sex cult! The more you know
lol, I thought it was just Nicki Clyne who went all cult-y, but you're absolutely right. Now I'm curious if any other BSG veterans fell into similarly bad company.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The beauty standards thing is less pronounced in China then Korea, but it is still interesting to see.

Friend of mine has "a friendly face", in that people like to look at them, children react positively, etc.
I say "well yeah, because of the clear skin, symmetrical features, generally good looks", and people respond "oh no, that skin is too dark, those eyes are too small, (something about other proportions I forget)"

People know on some level what looks good and what doesn't, but they won't call it good-looking unless it fits a specific list.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Freckles are possibly the most reviled "blemish" in China. A woman could have a massive, wrinkly, raisin-like mole on the tip of her nose that moved in the wind and had 4" pubes growing out of it, and she'd still look down on someone with freckles.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

What did I ever do to invite such personal attacks.

Ok, Boomer.

or Athena, I guess

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

What did I ever do to invite such personal attacks.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm old enough to have watched re-runs of the old BG as a child, and just never got round to seeing new BG.

Anyhow, wife is in the 'OMG Sandra Oh so ugly!' camp, but I'm now curious to see her reaction to Grace Park...

Also, despite multiple trips to SK, still no cult approaches. Not even the church opposite my wife's apartment block. What do Jesus/Earth Mother/Aliens/etc have against me? :(

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Came back to the China thread to find 3 pages of Battlestar Gallactica and asian women freckle chat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And this is the good China thread.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Grace Park chat reminds me of the time Margaret Cho got kicked out of a jjimjilbang (sp? Sorry) in LA and the women were apparently talking poo poo about her in Korean the whole time.

Anyways, my Korean school principal said I could myself be pretty with a different nose!

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I went to a “culinary experience” thing a friend bought me a groupon for. It was basically a tour of the local Koreatown and then dinner at a restaurant. Everyone was nice, and the food was good. Later in the evening it became clear everyone there had met through a church they all attended, the tour guide included. This seems pretty on-brand from what I’ve read the past few pages.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Grace Park chat reminds me of the time Margaret Cho got kicked out of a jjimjilbang (sp? Sorry) in LA and the women were apparently talking poo poo about her in Korean the whole time.

Anyways, my Korean school principal said I could myself be pretty with a different nose!

Just be thankful that you didn't understand what the ajummas were saying when you were in the jimjilbang. A few acquaintances (one of them black :ohdear: ) all understood Korean and said they were brutal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Knew a gyopo who was constantly being told she was lying about being Korean because her skin was too dark. Principal also stalked her regularly so he could call her a whore if she left her boyfriend's apartment in the morning instead of her own.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Knew a gyopo who was constantly being told she was lying about being Korean because her skin was too dark. Principal also stalked her regularly so he could call her a whore if she left her boyfriend's apartment in the morning instead of her own.

The first school I worked at started locking the female chinese teachers in the dorm on the evenings and weekends because of me.

I and they (all consenting adults) were seen interacting together outside of school, doing such scandalous things as, using public transit, going to restaurants and malls, grocery shopping, picnics and mountain climbing. What they should have been doing was working free overtime at the school and falling for the creepy advances of the male Korean teachers.*

*My wife (then girlfriend) was pressured into working late one evening by the head of Chinese studies at our school. He then invited her to a restaurant with himself and his secretary, and then told the secretary to leave. Instead of driving her back to the school he tried to say they could just crash at a jimjilbang. She texted me and I picked her up in a cab, and thus started the crackdown on Chinese teachers interacting with the westerners.

The female Japanese teachers outright told the school to pound sand.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korea is a nice place to live if you're a dude, anyway.

Only had one instance where a student apparently saw me at a BBQ place drinking with friends and the school told me seeing teachers drink was bad for (reasons somehow different from watching their dads get shitfaced constantly) so I wasn't allowed to go out anymore, and I had to carefully explain that outside of the school building I will do whatever I want and I don't give a gently caress what they think about it.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The NYC episode of the Simpsons was dropped from rerun rotations and/or edited in the US out of fear that the WTC scene was insensitive to the survivors of 9/11. The China episode was dropped in China out of fear that the Tiananmen Square scene was insensitive to the perpetrators.
https://twitter.com/hkfp/status/1464554470260424710?t=VKeJdPeLOyBiDE6Q6I3opQ&s=19

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Imagine caring about The Simpsons in 2021.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea is a nice place to live if you're a dude, anyway.

Only had one instance where a student apparently saw me at a BBQ place drinking with friends and the school told me seeing teachers drink was bad for (reasons somehow different from watching their dads get shitfaced constantly) so I wasn't allowed to go out anymore, and I had to carefully explain that outside of the school building I will do whatever I want and I don't give a gently caress what they think about it.

I had to ask the school director where it said in my contract I was forbidden to socialize with non-white foreign teachers. They pretty much gave the female chinese teachers the "juicy girl" treatment.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 27, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Blistex posted:

Just be thankful that you didn't understand what the ajummas were saying when you were in the jimjilbang. A few acquaintances (one of them black :ohdear: ) all understood Korean and said they were brutal.

I am VERY GRATEFUL!!!!!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

The NYC episode of the Simpsons was dropped from rerun rotations and/or edited in the US out of fear that the WTC scene was insensitive to the survivors of 9/11. The China episode was dropped in China out of fear that the Tiananmen Square scene was insensitive to the perpetrators.
https://twitter.com/hkfp/status/1464554470260424710?t=VKeJdPeLOyBiDE6Q6I3opQ&s=19

I’m shocked!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

thetoughestbean posted:

I didn’t know who Grace Park was until this thread mentioned her (I was too young to watch Battlestar Galactica) so I did a quick google and it turns out she used to be part of the Hollywood sex cult! The more you know

Oh man, the same one Allison Mack gave up her entire career for. Seems Grace saw sense and ditched all associations when it became public though.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kill All Cops posted:

Oh man, the same one Allison Mack gave up her entire career for. Seems Grace saw sense and ditched all associations when it became public though.

Wasn't it presented to B-D list actresses as a networking and support group to better their careers and turned out to be a sex cult?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just like how scientology is a reliable way for b-d list acting peeps to meet and shake hands w tom cruise and a buncha other a and b-listers by dint of joining a cult

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
tbh a sex cult is probably more fun than playing full-contact musical chairs for david miscavige but the latter has more money for lawyers and buying the entire clearwater FL police force

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I feel like Keith Raniere and David Miscavige are both super bad in bed.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

For a moment there I thought people were besmirching the good name of writer-director-actor-producer-composer-visual effects artist Dave Wascavage.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I had a friend in highschool in the US whose Okinawan mom was in a Korean cult of some kind. His dad was kind of a believer, my friend was like "oh yeah, they're in a cult, no bigs ya know". This cult has arranged marriages and weirdly enough, I see on Facebook that his girlfriend of many years happens to be in that same cult :thunk:.

I honestly don't know what it is about cults from Asia on the West Coast but I've met a disturbing large number of suburban, boring rear end whitey middle class family types who also happen to be Nichiren Soka Gakkai Buddhists.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
One of my wife's cousins is married to a Korean lady who is home schooling their 4 kids, she is about 30, he's mid 60s with two kids from a previous marriage. Pretty sure it's some sort of cult arranged marriage. He believes in UFO's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

yaffle posted:

One of my wife's cousins is married to a Korean lady who is home schooling their 4 kids, she is about 30, he's mid 60s with two kids from a previous marriage. Pretty sure it's some sort of cult arranged marriage. He believes in UFO's.

What’s his username?