Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

Are we going to find out Zodiark was just gaslighting the Convocation while Azem tracked down the Noise and stabbed it?

Doubt it. It would undercut most of the story to have Zodiark be bad or evil tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The moral is going to be that neither Zodiark of Hydaelin were evil but they were both blunt instruments created in panic by a society that didn't feel it had any other options, and for the good of the world now they've both got to be put in the dustbin of history

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

multijoe posted:

The moral is going to be that neither Zodiark of Hydaelin were evil but they were both blunt instruments created in panic by a society that didn't feel it had any other options, and for the good of the world now they've both got to be put in the dustbin of history

This, to be honest, is probably the best take. We have no way of knowing whether or not any Creation magics used by the Amurot were not tainted by whatever The Sound was. The entire system is, quite likely, the fruit of a poisoned tree.

I feel like The Sound would be a good arc to build towards going forward, but it will largely depend on if the devs want to make it something separate from the ZvsH story or not. I could see them creating whole new arcs built on hunting down emanations of The Sound throughout the land and trying to figure out what it really is.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

FuturePastNow posted:

Venat will call you Azem and then Alisaie will yell at her and deliver a profanity-laced lecture on the nature of being

Really want a timeskip after which Alisaie develops Barret-esque speech patterns. Also the twins really need to stop copying Dad's hairstyle, especially now

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gearhead posted:

This, to be honest, is probably the best take. We have no way of knowing whether or not any Creation magics used by the Amurot were not tainted by whatever The Sound was. The entire system is, quite likely, the fruit of a poisoned tree.

I feel like The Sound would be a good arc to build towards going forward, but it will largely depend on if the devs want to make it something separate from the ZvsH story or not. I could see them creating whole new arcs built on hunting down emanations of The Sound throughout the land and trying to figure out what it really is.

That could be an interesting take with different setup, but for something being framed as "the end of the arc" has a bit too much of a tail. I think Endwalker is going to end with humanity (by which I mean in all its shapes and sizes including dragons and "beast tribes" and what have you) doing what the Ancients were unable to -- destroy/defeat the Sound fully instead of trapping it (am I remembering that right?) and putting an end to all the echoes of the Ascians' plots. Then it's humanity moving forward into a new era without those old puppet strings, plenty of conflict and high stakes, maybe even old technology and buried secrets, but without the "we've been influencing this since the dawn of time" stuff.

There's a long history for the world with a lot of unknowns, and I don't want to insist on discarding that, but I want to avoid leaving this arc just to start an "Ascians but dragon-shaped" or "Ascians but Sound-shaped" one.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
We don't know much about The Sound, but we know that what Zodiark was supposed to do was 'assert the world's law' or somesuch. We've presumed, from our perspective as players, that The Sound was some sort of a Space Monster. But we don't actually know that.

They've certainly played off the idea of Space Monsters being a threat we need to consider more often and, when you look at Ultima's design.. and her assertation that she is our REAL creator.. you gotta wonder at least a little.

There's a fair bit to her design that also harkens to Anima. I can't help but wonder if they're both referencing to similar roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lRjJ72dABg

In fact, there's a LOT of her design from the waist down that reminds me entirely too much of a Terminus Beast. Mainly the mouths. Especially the mouths.

'Too many goddamn mouths' seems to be a Terminus Beast design feature.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 26, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Terminus Beasts are creation magic gone wrong though. Every fear and terror made manifest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
cant wait to fight the terminus beast with a mentor crown

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My first thought with the Sound was a climate change analogy, like overuse of creation magic broke the world somehow. Their solution of course being "throw creation magic at it"

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Terminus Beasts are creation magic gone wrong though. Every fear and terror made manifest.

Therion was, apparently, NOT.

They didn't know where the hell that thing came from, thus its title of 'Enigma.'

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gearhead posted:

They didn't know where the hell that thing came from, thus its title of 'Enigma.'

Interesting, especially given how it looks like a giant musical instrument. It may have been the bearer of the Sound to Amaurot. Or the result of a different Ancient Civilisation losing control.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Therion turns out to be the end result of Man taking the reins of history.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FuturePastNow posted:

My first thought with the Sound was a climate change analogy, like overuse of creation magic broke the world somehow. Their solution of course being "throw creation magic at it"

Oh, there's definitely a climate change analogy going on. Down to the fact that Hydaelyn's supporters even have the same ultimately two-pronged argument as environmental activists: not only that the current status quo is unsustainable, but that it's unethical.

Which is part of what concerns me about Endwalker. They really want to push the overall outlook of 'nobody is pure good and pure evil', and I'm worried that will end up leading to a narrative the world really doesn't need right now, of 'what if Captain Planet was the real bad guy'.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Oh, there's definitely a climate change analogy going on. Down to the fact that Hydaelyn's supporters even have the same ultimately two-pronged argument as environmental activists: not only that the current status quo is unsustainable, but that it's unethical.

Which is part of what concerns me about Endwalker. They really want to push the overall outlook of 'nobody is pure good and pure evil', and I'm worried that will end up leading to a narrative the world really doesn't need right now, of 'what if Captain Planet was the real bad guy'.

:dafuq:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whether ff14 has a militant take on the necessity of environmental terrorism will have no impact on the forthcoming climate apocalypse. our best hope in fact is that yoshiP gets enough power at square enix that he can develop matrix technology to live out our final days in eorzea

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Wow, emotes got tall. But yeah, this is a thing that Yoshi-P actually said in an interview this year.

quote:

Q: With each new expansion new themes are introduced and are focused on. How does the team decide on which themes to focus on with each new expansion?

Naoki Yoshida: The major themes for the expansion would be first conveyed from me as the game’s director to the development team. Although it is somewhat difficult to describe my personal decision-making process it could be summarised as [requiring a sense of] surprise and fun. This contains a dual meaning in that I assess whether as developers ourselves we would encounter surprises while enjoying the production process, at the same time as considering whether the story of the expansion would be exciting and fun for the players. In the last expansion Shadowbringers, I had thought that players must have grown tired of being referred to as a Warrior of Light. I also came up with the idea of reversing the conventional notion of light equating to justice or something holy and darkness equating to evil or something bad to generate a sense of surprise.

The current state of global affairs is incredibly complex and simple two-dimensional theories of good/bad from ancient times can no longer quantify this world we live in. As such, a large factor [that contributed to the selection of these themes] is that I thought I could cultivate new values and a new sense of realisation within myself by changing perspective and carefully considering the other party’s arguments in regard to a given event. Half of the time these things are born from one’s intuition and flashes of inspiration. I guessed as much but it really is hard to explain. (laughs)

Essentially, they don't want to tell a story of black-and-white morality anymore. Which is probably why Emet-Selch got all the exploration he did in Shadowbringers; as the plans stood he was probably gonna stand as the most irredeemable monster by his actions, so they did their best to make him less of a Megahitler.

I don't disagree with the overall outlook, but I think it's resulted in some weirdness for them to apply that outlook to a setting that very much already had some pretty clearly black-and-white morality among it (...well, pretty clearly black, at least).

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I can really drop in here any old time and y'all will be saying something insane

Gearhead posted:

I don't think that's something you can infer from that title, all of it was an enigma to them

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay but where does he talk about climate change

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay but where does he talk about climate change

Cleretic posted:

Q: With each new expansion new themes are introduced and are focused on. How does the team decide on which themes to focus on with each new expansion?

Naoki Yoshida: The major themes for the expansion would be first conveyed from me as the game’s director to the development team. Although it is somewhat difficult to describe my personal decision-making process it could be summarised as [requiring a sense of] surprise and fun. This contains a dual meaning in that I rear endess whether as developers ourselves we would encounter surprises while enjoying the production process, at the same time as considering whether the story of the expansion would be exciting and fun for the players.

seems pretty straightforward

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The absolute worst possible reading you are going to get from FFXIV is "The answer involves putting aside our differences and acknowledging our flaws to create a better society where we worry about each other and the world around us instead of being selfish and self-centered regardless of the harm it causes to others." like the entire rest of the game to date. Like if there is one solid thing we know about Endwalker's story it is that is going to involve everyone coming together and forcing isolationist cultures to recognize that they can't just 'ride out the storm' while letting others suffer.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think you will find that the message of Final Fantasy XIV is "Genocide is good, actually."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

There isn't and making it one utterly robs the last 30% of ShB of any actual narrative or emotional weight because it turns the Ancients from Tragic but Heroic figures of self sacrifice the Scions identify with to bumbling idiots that brought their death on themselves.

It's got no textual or subtextual basis and is just you contorting the narrative to try and fit your weird brain demons that "Actually I was right to ignore everything from Ravel forward in the plot!"

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't think that's something you can infer from that title, all of it was an enigma to them

I was wrong about the actual title, it's been a hot minute since I ran Amurot.

Chthonic Riddle.

So there's: The First Beast. Terminus Bellweather. Chthonic Riddle.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cleretic I am never gonna understand how your brain works

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Let's be fair nobody has a good grasp on how brains work.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/AnthonyKaen/status/1464175008247271429?t=5Bz2qw4RrInjZXcApD-FLQ&s=19

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Regy Rusty posted:

I believe Cleretic may actually be one of those critters from a Shin Megami Tensei game who has gotten hold of a hefty store of Crysta and is therefore able to play FFXIV (now free to level 60).

I hope that FFXIV: Endwalker ends with the Warrior of Light looking at the camera and saying, "I am communist now," and continuing to clarify that he is the same kind of communist as me. We will spend the patches purging our enemies in the Scions and teaching the children the importance of hating religion and individualism.

As for the actual story I really doubt they're going to pull some kind of "Actually, the Ancients caused the Sound and it was all their fault, the dummies" on us. If there will be any 'culpability' it will be something like the Sound being attracted by their magicks, which the Ancients had literally no idea would happen and could not predict. It would be like blaming your political enemies for the invasion of the Vermicious Knids: fun, perhaps, but really not much use.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

start by hating emet to a ridiculous degree because you didn't read and then warp everything else around that

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yes, the seats themselves did not change who you were. But they likely selected people with skills and traits matching the original 14.

So the seat of Azem the Traveller likely was held by an adventurous travelling sort because that’s what the job was for. The seat of Emet-Selch the Architect demanded a perfectionist designer with grand capabilities, and apparently a unique capability with the Lifestream. The seat of Elidibus the Emissary was one that needed an unbiased innocent to fairly finalise decisions amongst the convocation when opinions were split.

The Architect apparently was needed to deconstruct things when creation magic got out of hand, that's why he was the swolest Ascian with the most individual combat ability.

Lahabrea (the speaker) was the one who actually engendered the most original designs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Xad posted:

start by hating emet to a ridiculous degree because you didn't read and then warp everything else around that

If anything I read too much. I had an immediately negative response to the guy, and despite this was told by a friend 'make sure to always talk to him all the time, because lore'. And... well, he's not exactly someone that I was going to like after spending more time with.

Honestly, I don't even hate him a huge amount. If I were to grade him on a like-o-meter I'd put him at, like, a 3/10; failing, and definitely the lowest among the game's cast, but it's not cataclysmic. The problem is he's not really a character that you can just go 'gently caress him, let's move on' like most of the other villains we've gone through (if you hated every second of Thordan screentime or discussion, I feel like you were put out of joint for less than an hour of your life). The game keeps going back to him, the fanbase never stops talking about him, actual gaming news outlets talk about him for some reason. He just keeps coming back up, and honestly if you're like me, 'hated him' isn't really a full enough opinion when he keeps coming up. If I'm forced to keep dealing with this fucker, I'm gonna try to figure out exactly why I think he's a fucker, try to get some personal enjoyment and exploration out of this. People are gonna ask 'why' every time I say I don't like him anyway, might as well have a good answer.

Unfortunately, some people take this as a weird hate-obsession.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I think Cleretic has some tedious takes but the weird level of vitriol she gets is disproportionate to what is being said. And also responding to over-moralizatoon of media with climate doomerism is not the slam dunk you think it is.

I like Emet because he exudes theater-gay energy and makes good faces. I lost my poo poo when I went back to do ivalice stuff and found he literally helped fund that theater group because loving of course. He is a bad person with pretty unambiguous fascist justifications for his actions, he's also fun to watch on screen.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

It is explicitly not a purely creation magic based phenomenon because otherwise all the details related to it like an underground sound followed by Cthonic (underworld) Riddle, the fact that we have video evidence of the Hydaelyn faction believing the end days were not permanently resolved, the return of Terminus Beasts in the trailer taking place in a world where creation magic is extinct etc.

You would have to ignore all of that and then go further to invite the narrative whiplash of "yeah those people just sort of exploded themselves by accident, the end, no moral" which was definitely not what ShB was trying to communicate.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

If anything I read too much. I had an immediately negative response to the guy, and despite this was told by a friend 'make sure to always talk to him all the time, because lore'. And... well, he's not exactly someone that I was going to like after spending more time with.

Honestly, I don't even hate him a huge amount. If I were to grade him on a like-o-meter I'd put him at, like, a 3/10; failing, and definitely the lowest among the game's cast, but it's not cataclysmic. The problem is he's not really a character that you can just go 'gently caress him, let's move on' like most of the other villains we've gone through (if you hated every second of Thordan screentime or discussion, I feel like you were put out of joint for less than an hour of your life). The game keeps going back to him, the fanbase never stops talking about him, actual gaming news outlets talk about him for some reason. He just keeps coming back up, and honestly if you're like me, 'hated him' isn't really a full enough opinion when he keeps coming up. If I'm forced to keep dealing with this fucker, I'm gonna try to figure out exactly why I think he's a fucker, try to get some personal enjoyment and exploration out of this. People are gonna ask 'why' every time I say I don't like him anyway, might as well have a good answer.

Unfortunately, some people take this as a weird hate-obsession.

You posted that your hatred is mostly because he reminds you of someone you hate in real life so I'm not sure how people are supposed to take your obsession with him as anything but unhealthy.

Algid posted:

It is explicitly not a purely creation magic based phenomenon because otherwise all the details related to it like an underground sound followed by Cthonic (underworld) Riddle, the fact that we have video evidence of the Hydaelyn faction believing the end days were not permanently resolved, the return of Terminus Beasts in the trailer taking place in a world where creation magic is extinct etc.

You would have to ignore all of that and then go further to invite the narrative whiplash of "yeah those people just sort of exploded themselves by accident, the end, no moral" which was definitely not what ShB was trying to communicate.

It's really cool how people's media literacy has gotten so bad that they desperately want this to happen because any sort of nuance in story telling is too hard or confusing.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I don't know if Shadowbringers brought the people that were the worst at understanding FFXIV's story, but they definitely get way easier to find when talking about it.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
To be a little more fair to everyone's overall levels of reading comprehension, there's a lot more story at this point to remember and to cite.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I mean, I’ll admit it: I can’t read

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ash Rose posted:

I think Cleretic has some tedious takes but the weird level of vitriol she gets is disproportionate to what is being said. And also responding to over-moralizatoon of media with climate doomerism is not the slam dunk you think it is.

It probably has something to do with the 2 and a half years of posting the same handful of wrong readings and warping every plot point to prove those takes that generates the vitriol. Cleretic has posted basically the same poo poo for over 2 years across 2 threads and what was just a bad take or misunderstanding became an incredibly tedious affair every few days where she'll pop up to say something that's just straight up wrong or not supported at all. So any time she posts it's taken by most through this context.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You posted that your hatred is mostly because he reminds you of someone you hate in real life so I'm not sure how people are supposed to take your obsession with him as anything but unhealthy.

That and she's constantly generated new theories on why she was actually correct about this. Like for years.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 27, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, Cleretic has an impossibly high and shifting standard for “Good” so there’s absolutely no pleasing them or engaging with them about it. Like they described what a final fantasy should be according to like 10 extremely specific bullet points and it’s basically FFX-2 to a tee but they decided “no thanks” when people recommend they play FFX-2 and then moans that Final Fantasy games aren’t good and are misogynistic or something.

FF14 is another thing. It’s really hard to tell if they actually like FF14 or hate FF14, and they say some nonsense about it constantly. Their interpretations of things are usually entirely wrong. That being said they are very knowledgeable about things that actually happened in the game and have excellent recall of minor points. For example they would be able to, in the same sentence, recall an extremely minor character and what their dialogue was perfectly but then also interpret it to mean that Emet-Selch is alive and is the leader of a communist terrorist cell or something stupid, just because they really don’t like Emet-Selch. It’s all just very strange and if you’re thinking about engaging with a Cleretic post, maybe rethink it. It’s almost like they have an agenda but nobody, Cleretic included, knows what it is.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 27, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People are coming up with some really complex diagnoses for something that can be easily summarized as "Cleretic hates being asked to feel sympathy for characters who commit really bad crimes, and is willing to walk a long way to avoid doing so."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

jokes posted:

Also, Cleretic has an impossibly high and shifting standard for “Good” so there’s absolutely no pleasing them or engaging with them about it. Like they described what a final fantasy should be according to like 10 extremely specific bullet points and it’s basically FFX-2 to a tee but they decided “no thanks” when people recommend they play FFX-2 and then moans that Final Fantasy games aren’t good and are misogynistic or something.

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the other but at the first EW announcement thing She spent like 3 pages melting down because they showed off Radz-It-Han and gave a general overview of how it looked but didn't dare mention that There's A Lot Of Alchemists From There and had a statue that showed off DNC iconography so clearly the writers have just abandoned this key lore to the setting she liked instead of it just not being that important to the overview. The second announcement event had a more detailed look and showed off the insides of a huge Alchemy laboratory with all kinds of equipment and tables and beakers and potions and poo poo while talking about it being a city of crafters and the like. She missed this, then complained about it until several people pointed it out and her response was "Oh I didn't notice the one lab table" when it was a room filled with the poo poo. She doesn't want what she says she wants, she wants to be morally superior for being mad about a thing she made up.

It's a pointless exercise to discuss anything with her but she weighs in to most discussions so a lot of people are just tired of it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 27, 2021