Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

1989 Nissan March Super Turbo, 5 speed manual, FWD with LSD two-door hot hatch with a supercharger and turbo charger attached to its 1000cc inline four engine.
:allears: amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I absolutely love the roofs on those vans, Kaker. How long until we can import Estimas to the US?

If I did it, I'd want to do a LHD dash swap, how feasable is that? More than dash swap, I assume? Can it be done without making a hack job of the wiring harness?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I always figured the easy way would be leave the factory harness intact as much as you can and build pigtails to extend.

For the hard stuff, maybe the "firewall" pressing has unpunched cutouts, probably not tho.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

meatpimp posted:

I absolutely love the roofs on those vans, Kaker. How long until we can import Estimas to the US?

If I did it, I'd want to do a LHD dash swap, how feasable is that? More than dash swap, I assume? Can it be done without making a hack job of the wiring harness?

Estimas are legal right now, assuming you want the weirdo-first generation, aka the Previa. As soon as January hits we can start legally bringing in things from 1997.

As for LHD swapping I would anticipate it being a mighty giant pain the rear end. I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to do it, but from what I've seen in many Toyota vehicles with USDM equivalents the engine bays are mirrored. Because of the midengined nature of the Pravia/Estima that might prove much more complicated than say, under the hood of an pickup because of the Previa/Estima's front accessory area.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Previa has been sold in continental europe so at least the harness and interior parts required are there, how easy it's going to be remains a mystery.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Ahh I thought you were talking about the older vans. It's only going to be even more complex on newer vans. Worth also pointing out that while the first gen Previa does exist in Japan as the Estima, the vastly more common ones are the Estima Emina and Lucida models, which are like 100mm narrower and also shorter than "wide body" version. I don't think those exist in LHD at all since they exist for Japanese tax class reasons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
drat this is all kinds of amazing. Have you seen any Toyota Crowns? How much do these go for?

Elmnt80 posted:

You say that like you've never hosed a car before.

They won't even let ME do it!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I haven't looks at the auctions in a while but crowns are not particularly expensive. They look absolutely amazing as a wagon.

Toyota crown royal saloon I think is the main model. I wish they had manual available, they look so sick.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Celica fuckhole is probably actually a sort of "stovepipe" cooler for the turbo. You can also see it inside the scoop on early JDM WRXes, which also had a huge cobbled-on piece of bullshit on the housing. It directs exhaust housing heat away from the top-mount, I guess?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mobby_6kl posted:

drat this is all kinds of amazing. Have you seen any Toyota Crowns? How much do these go for?

Crowns and other full-size sedans are the best value in terms of how much car you can get. A boring-rear end, clean, low mileage (sub 50k even) non-turbo JZ white one with wool interior can be had for under 5k all day. Some of the weirder ones like UZ-equipped 4WD models get more expensive. Wagons are more expensive but even then, not much more.
If you deviate outside of Toyota and into Nissan you can get stuff insanely cheap. Again, all boring sedans but tons of car with a bit of unique charm for not a lot of money. I wouldn't anticipate making any money on them for resale though. The G and JZ engine models absolutely can come with manual transmissions. The UZs and wagons I've not seen, doesn't mean they don't exist though.

https://limerencemotors.com/inventory/1996-toyota-land-cruiser-prado-tx-kzj95

KZJ95 cleaned up and finally up for sale. Ended up taking off the front sort of 'street' lip because it really messed with the proportions in a negative way (even if now you can see the damage it did to the bumper underneath) and, like always, took the running boards off and now it looks really good. An excellent, excellent vehicle.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That multi information console is perfect

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

Estimas are legal right now, assuming you want the weirdo-first generation, aka the Previa. As soon as January hits we can start legally bringing in things from 1997.

As for LHD swapping I would anticipate it being a mighty giant pain the rear end. I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting to do it, but from what I've seen in many Toyota vehicles with USDM equivalents the engine bays are mirrored. Because of the midengined nature of the Pravia/Estima that might prove much more complicated than say, under the hood of an pickup because of the Previa/Estima's front accessory area.

Yeah, I was talking about the Previa. I think one of those with the supercharger and crazy roof and fully decked out would be :swoon:

It's on my list of things to consider.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So I read that pa and ny are now deregistering kei class vehicles too, but that their wording actually applies to all imports (any vehicle post 1976 without a us style 17 digit Vin).

It's been my worry since Maine and RI started hating on imports that it's only a matter of time before they get banned in states all over the country. Might as well enjoy them while you can!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

So I read that pa and ny are now deregistering kei class vehicles too, but that their wording actually applies to all imports (any vehicle post 1976 without a us style 17 digit Vin).

It's been my worry since Maine and RI started hating on imports that it's only a matter of time before they get banned in states all over the country. Might as well enjoy them while you can!

Delaware is not allowing them to be registered now

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 23, 2021

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

KakerMix posted:

Crowns and other full-size sedans are the best value in terms of how much car you can get. A boring-rear end, clean, low mileage (sub 50k even) non-turbo JZ white one with wool interior can be had for under 5k all day. Some of the weirder ones like UZ-equipped 4WD models get more expensive. Wagons are more expensive but even then, not much more.

If you deviate outside of Toyota and into Nissan you can get stuff insanely cheap. Again, all boring sedans but tons of car with a bit of unique charm for not a lot of money. I wouldn't anticipate making any money on them for resale though. The G and JZ engine models absolutely can come with manual transmissions. The UZs and wagons I've not seen, doesn't mean they don't exist though.

You're saying for ~10k all told I could import a nice Crown as a daily? Shoot, considering how beat up LS400s are locally I am tempted.

What's the premium on wagons?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yes, absolutely.

Also, the celsior (jdm ls400) is also pretty cheap and you can get them with quite low mileage.

Wagons seemed to go for maybe a grand or two more (tops, for a really nice example) a few years ago, haven't looked much recently. Manual is the big one that adds cost, again as of a few years ago. Auto wagons were still pretty reasonable.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Blindeye posted:

You're saying for ~10k all told I could import a nice Crown as a daily? Shoot, considering how beat up LS400s are locally I am tempted.

What's the premium on wagons?

Here is just 'Crown' (so no wagons) only from 1995 and 1996, sorted by highest price sold, for the last three months, first page:

The most expensive one actually sold is a 1996 UZS151 Crown Majesta, which is the fanciest Crown of the era stuffed with the UZ V8. It had 54,161 km as well plus SICK WHEELS. It sold for less than 4k at auction, which means maybe $8k total at port in the USA. Well under 10,000 dollars.

Crown sedans come in all sorts of guises, the Majesta which is the top, with either UZ or JZs, 'normal' Crowns which can come with UZs, JZs or G series engines, with manual transmissions (though I don't think the UZ was able to get a manual) and JZ manuals are not common at all. You can get AWD ones with UZs too. I don't know much about their option packages but most come with wool interiors and digital dashboards. The Crown slots above the Celsior at this time. There are no UZ or AWD Crown wagons.

Get a white, clean, low-mileage automatic one with the JZ in it and you can snag them for very little money.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Jesus. I live in PNW and have quite a few friends who acquired fun stuff like soarers but it was always too rich for my blood. Maybe that's the way to go....

I would legit kill for a wagon as a cush road trip machine.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

KakerMix posted:

Here is just 'Crown' (so no wagons) only from 1995 and 1996, sorted by highest price sold, for the last three months, first page:

The most expensive one actually sold is a 1996 UZS151 Crown Majesta, which is the fanciest Crown of the era stuffed with the UZ V8. It had 54,161 km as well plus SICK WHEELS. It sold for less than 4k at auction, which means maybe $8k total at port in the USA. Well under 10,000 dollars.

Crown sedans come in all sorts of guises, the Majesta which is the top, with either UZ or JZs, 'normal' Crowns which can come with UZs, JZs or G series engines, with manual transmissions (though I don't think the UZ was able to get a manual) and JZ manuals are not common at all. You can get AWD ones with UZs too. I don't know much about their option packages but most come with wool interiors and digital dashboards. The Crown slots above the Celsior at this time. There are no UZ or AWD Crown wagons.

Get a white, clean, low-mileage automatic one with the JZ in it and you can snag them for very little money.

As a person who's had a long, persistent and vital itch for a first gen gold on pearl LS400 and can not find one because USDM cars get beaten to poo poo, this post is causing some Problems in my heart. Fuckin' hell.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So, is a "R" condition rating the equivalent of a rebuilt/salvage title in the US? Is it conceivably worth paying for an inspection or is it much more likely to be a headache? A car has caught my eye but it's an R and has been listed but not sold several times now, I assume that's a fairly large red flag.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tyro posted:

So, is a "R" condition rating the equivalent of a rebuilt/salvage title in the US? Is it conceivably worth paying for an inspection or is it much more likely to be a headache? A car has caught my eye but it's an R and has been listed but not sold several times now, I assume that's a fairly large red flag.

The answer is ‘MAYBE’!

From the op:

quote:

Each vehicle at auction will have an auction sheet. They will have an overall number on a scale from 5 to 0. Don't bother with anything under 3, 'R' ratings are a wild card. Is it an accident victim? Did someone JDM it hard with aftermarket parts? Did an old car simply have some panels replaced? :iiam:

Sometimes they can be worth it. An R can occur anywhere from an aftermarket bumper or spoiler or roof rack added to body panels being replaced to entire resprays. Learning to read the auction sheets gets a little easier with practice. If you see ‘xx’ on a hood or fender or door then that means that body panel has been replaced. If you see ‘c1’ that means corrosion; think like surface rust or even slight bubbling. If you see ‘c2’ that means there is a hole/significant body rot.

Inspections are worth it. I’ve had a total of probably 10 inspections done and at least four of those were ones that looked okay on paper and great in photos but were ‘run, and quickly’ after the inspection. Kaker has had a few R grades I think.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I guess that depends a lot on what kind of off roading you are trying to do, and if there is a specific reason for a japanese import to do that. My head and heart say 80 series diesel Land Cruiser with the factory triple lockers because those rule and are ultimately what I would like for myself one day. The Surfs seem to be a good value compared to other things right now (78 series Land Cruiser Prados and 60/70/80 series Land Cruisers) but those are also going to be limited in comparison. Are you full rock crawling? or trundling down forest roads?

everdave posted:

There are a ton of great off roaders but most end up in a Toyota or Mitsubishi. All the usually suspects are through the roof. If you find a gas Delica they can be somewhat cheap. What off-roading do you do? I’m on my sixth Pajero Mini they are capable

I kinda disappeared after asking about this. I'm not looking to rock crawl just trundle get down unpaved desert roads (in my case), double track and occasional forest road. I like the idea of something 2 door, the pajero mini sounds pretty perfect looking at info on Google. Do you have a preferred spec everdave? The only thing I know is I'd want a manual.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KakerMix posted:

1989 Nissan March Super Turbo, 5 speed manual, FWD with LSD two-door hot hatch with a supercharger and turbo charger attached to its 1000cc inline four engine. Another white homologation special to match the ST205 we have on the way. Here is what Wikipedia says:

Didn't MCM have one of these on one of their trips to Japan?

fake edit: they did!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

I kinda disappeared after asking about this. I'm not looking to rock crawl just trundle get down unpaved desert roads (in my case), double track and occasional forest road. I like the idea of something 2 door, the pajero mini sounds pretty perfect looking at info on Google. Do you have a preferred spec everdave? The only thing I know is I'd want a manual.

You have the XRII and the VRII turbo. I like either but my recommendation is wait for the absolute best Mini you can get. Wait for the color you love. Don’t settle. They are really prone to clear coat fade so go for one that does not have that. I have one more on the way in my preferred spec (the gunmetal gray silver on bottom turbo) but it’s an auto, it was a very late model and really nice. I want to lift it and do some mods.

There is the Junior which has the 1.1 liter engine and they are becoming more available now that 97’s are in play.

If you are patient you could get a really nice Mini for $1k-2k US plus fees. Hell you can buy one some nights for $500. It is well worth the extra money to wait on a nice one. Get an inspection on any Pajero - every one I’ve had has been rust free and pristine but a really good looking one can be Swiss cheese underneath they are very prone to rust if not taken care of. Wait for the best one they aren’t rare.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

STR posted:

Didn't MCM have one of these on one of their trips to Japan?

fake edit: they did!

It's now back home with them in Australia, they even drove it on an errand in this weeks video. Worth watching their series on it to learn what they did to fix it up right.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The answer is ‘MAYBE’!

From the op:

Sometimes they can be worth it. An R can occur anywhere from an aftermarket bumper or spoiler or roof rack added to body panels being replaced to entire resprays. Learning to read the auction sheets gets a little easier with practice. If you see ‘xx’ on a hood or fender or door then that means that body panel has been replaced. If you see ‘c1’ that means corrosion; think like surface rust or even slight bubbling. If you see ‘c2’ that means there is a hole/significant body rot.

Inspections are worth it. I’ve had a total of probably 10 inspections done and at least four of those were ones that looked okay on paper and great in photos but were ‘run, and quickly’ after the inspection. Kaker has had a few R grades I think.

Thanks, that is helpful, I must have skimmed over that part of the OP when I re-read it. Based on that I might keep looking.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Tyro posted:

Thanks, that is helpful, I must have skimmed over that part of the OP when I re-read it. Based on that I might keep looking.

The sheet's declaring that a rusty POS I'm afraid. If the diagram there doesn't have C's on it but the text mentions corrosion I'll sometimes send out an inspector anyway. More than once the vehicle has surface rust only and no actual corrosion.

These forms are filled out by people and they miss things and their biases can get into the way a lot.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The OP and write up is most excellent and all you need to start looking.

A few things that may be helpful: like the sheet posted above, if you see a C followed by that Kanji symbol that is a corrosion hole and should just make that vehicle a skip.

As Has been said a c1 or s1 doesn’t mean an automatic skip, but if you were looking at something like a Pajero Mini it would make it a skip for me - too many other great ones out there.

I am the worst in the last about inspections but there is no reason not to get anything you are looking at inspected. I’ve inspected grade 4’s that are leaking oil everywhere or blowing smoke that wasn’t mentioned on sheet.

On the other hand…tomorrow night (Sunday for US will be Monday in Japan) is when the Honda and Nissan auction houses seem to list. IMO the vehicles are usually better than what the sheet says at Honda and Nissan Osaka. Still inspect but there are some great deals to be had from there and on Sunday nights. There won’t be a Land Cruiser there but there will usually be Pajero Mini and nicer lesser known Hondas that you don’t see a lot during the week (like the Orthia which is an awd civic wagon). I have also won non turbo skylines from Nissan Osaka for great prices but that ship may have sailed.

Basically avoid anything that looks suspect on the sheet. Don’t trust the sheet or grade to mean it is good have it looked at. If you are buying something to keep just be patient and wait for the best one or best deal. If that means inspecting a dozen before you bid then do it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Sold our 1993 KZ130 Surf today. That one stuck around longer than most, and I couldn't tell you why. Guy came and paid asking though so that's cool.

Now have two vehicles currently for sale, in a bit should be two more as we have two more Prados I have to prep. One needs its brake master rebuilt (less than 70 bucks all in with shipping for parts and perhaps an afternoon of my time), plus a very deep clean as its filthy. The other is our formerly-main car green one. Needs a spit shine really.

Then we must wait for our five vehicles we already have bought to make their way here to us in the states. :toot:

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Sold our 1993 KZ130 Surf today. That one stuck around longer than most, and I couldn't tell you why. Guy came and paid asking though so that's cool.

Then we must wait for our five vehicles we already have bought to make their way here to us in the states. :toot:

Nice Surf! I sold my KZ130 to a Toyota enthusiast guy about 3 weeks ago and he could not have been more excited. I've got a Prado on the way that I'm really excited about, check it out!

Inspector posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 200,065km, oil dirty but no sludge, coolant low but ok, no oil leaks, tires at 50% ok, spare ok, cargo area ok, undercarriage light surface rust only, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat worn/2 burn marks, other seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, ac ok, at no shock or lag, check lamps ok, lights ok, fog lamps not working, mirrors ok, windows ok, sunroof ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

I'm not sure what's going on with the weird silver license place lamp assembly, once I get pictures from port I'll have a better idea of what I am working with. A new black plastic lamp assembly is $60 so I might end up buying that along with a pair of lower ball joints which the internet tells me is one of the few weak points on these vehicles. I'll take a filter with me for a quick oil change and top off the coolant and it should be good to go.

Two questions: Is there anything I could do for the seat burns? I guess a seat cover but I wish I could repair them. Also how expensive and/or difficult is it to source a windshield for the Prado 90's? I live in Colorado where car windshields are basically disposable so I have a feeling I will need to track down one or two of these.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I saw a Kei truck of some variety that sounded fantastic yesterday. AZ plates and what sounded like a straight pipe.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

johnnyonetime posted:

Nice Surf! I sold my KZ130 to a Toyota enthusiast guy about 3 weeks ago and he could not have been more excited. I've got a Prado on the way that I'm really excited about, check it out!

I'm not sure what's going on with the weird silver license place lamp assembly, once I get pictures from port I'll have a better idea of what I am working with. A new black plastic lamp assembly is $60 so I might end up buying that along with a pair of lower ball joints which the internet tells me is one of the few weak points on these vehicles. I'll take a filter with me for a quick oil change and top off the coolant and it should be good to go.

Two questions: Is there anything I could do for the seat burns? I guess a seat cover but I wish I could repair them. Also how expensive and/or difficult is it to source a windshield for the Prado 90's? I live in Colorado where car windshields are basically disposable so I have a feeling I will need to track down one or two of these.

Was this from a USS auction at all? I can maybe snag some better pictures if so, I can't tell. The silver license plate thing looks very much like tape of some kind to me, maybe taped to the body because it was falling off? You could have asked specifically for the inspector to take a look on that and they could have answered when you scheduled it. I'll often ask about specific things I notice in pictures, like if its a karaoke machine but instead the inspector just says its a pioneer speaker.
Seat-wise recovering is the only way to do it. The issue with that is you won't be able to get the identical fabric. Otherwise yeah, seat covers. For the windshield I have no idea. I'm certain they can be ordered but that's well beyond anything I've ever done. The one issue we had with a windshield for a Sera was handily taken care of by the fact that DeLorean motor company just happen to have a couple from a bulk-buy they did. Lucked out there.

Krakkles posted:

I saw a Kei truck of some variety that sounded fantastic yesterday. AZ plates and what sounded like a straight pipe.

3cyls sound great when uncorked and unmuffled.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Was this from a USS auction at all? I can maybe snag some better pictures if so, I can't tell. The silver license plate thing looks very much like tape of some kind to me, maybe taped to the body because it was falling off? You could have asked specifically for the inspector to take a look on that and they could have answered when you scheduled it. I'll often ask about specific things I notice in pictures, like if its a karaoke machine but instead the inspector just says its a pioneer speaker.
Seat-wise recovering is the only way to do it. The issue with that is you won't be able to get the identical fabric. Otherwise yeah, seat covers. For the windshield I have no idea. I'm certain they can be ordered but that's well beyond anything I've ever done. The one issue we had with a windshield for a Sera was handily taken care of by the fact that DeLorean motor company just happen to have a couple from a bulk-buy they did. Lucked out there.

It was from USS Kyushu, if you could get better pictures that would be awesome, lot number 80310!

Ah that's good to know about the inspector. I just figured you send it in and hope for the best, it's not exactly cheap to do those so I'll ask for more next go around. I looked on partsouq and it looks like there are two retaining clips for the license plate housing so that would be a cheap fix if it's duct taped on there ha.

I'll probably just live with the burn marks because I couldn't bear to change that awesome Greyhound-bus seat design fabric to anything else. Alright I'll dig into finding a source of windshields. Honestly I worry about this with each car I import so I'll just knuckle down and find an answer. When I come across something I'll update the thread.

EDIT: Well Amayama provided me with a quick answer - $984.60 for a windshield to be delivered to Denver in two weeks. Now I just need to become a dealership so I can process my own insurance claim for windshield glass!

johnnyonetime fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 1, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

johnnyonetime posted:

It was from USS Kyushu, if you could get better pictures that would be awesome, lot number 80310!

Ah that's good to know about the inspector. I just figured you send it in and hope for the best, it's not exactly cheap to do those so I'll ask for more next go around. I looked on partsouq and it looks like there are two retaining clips for the license plate housing so that would be a cheap fix if it's duct taped on there ha.

I'll probably just live with the burn marks because I couldn't bear to change that awesome Greyhound-bus seat design fabric to anything else. Alright I'll dig into finding a source of windshields. Honestly I worry about this with each car I import so I'll just knuckle down and find an answer. When I come across something I'll update the thread.

EDIT: Well Amayama provided me with a quick answer - $984.60 for a windshield to be delivered to Denver in two weeks. Now I just need to become a dealership so I can process my own insurance claim for windshield glass!

Did you actually talk to anyone at Amayama? These places will list parts and have everything set for them, until you actually go to order them, they'll check, and then go "sorry we don't have that :)))))) " and then delist it. Thus you become the one that checks on their inventory. The light green dot (as opposed to a dark green one) indicates that they don't absolutely 100% have it. Just want to make sure you didn't just pop it in the cart and assume. I've done this before and it sucks. The signs are good that they are in Japan though! :negative:
Also I can't get pictures because the auction has already passed. Has to be the day of the auction itself. Sorry :(

Re: Asking inspectors specific thing, I did that just last night:

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, interior dirty/worn, drivers seat torn, undercarriage painted/surface rust, rear glass cracked/missing/taped, small chips in windshield, other dents/scratches/paint waves

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts one shot, idles low and slight vibrations, revs fine, no smoke, timing belt sticker at 100,332km, no sludge, coolant ok, valve cover area slightly oily, driveshaft joints greasy, front tires at 50% ok, rears worn, spare ok, cargo cover glass broken, cabin glass ok, cargo area ok, undercarriage painted and surface rust, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers side door worn and torn 5cmx2cm, other seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, interior dirty, no burns, no ac, clutch engages slightly high, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, mirrors not working, wipers ok, power steering feels heavy and slight snags

1990 Toyota Hilux SR LN106. Diesel, 4x4, solid front axle, manual transmission, 75,000~ total miles. No AC unfortunately, but the condition, miles (or lack of) and the solid front axle easily make up for it. Asked for the inspector to check to determine specifically what 'rear glass' was broken. Of course the topper glass, but I wanted to make sure that the cab glass wasn't broken as well. It wasn't, so that topper can go right in the loving garbage I don't give a poo poo, doesn't look like it's even attached properly anyway. No idea about that big rear end winch on the front either. Get to find out how to either get that headache bar put back on and trash the topper in Japan, or somehow to get the headache bar here if the topper comes along.

In other 'work on cars' news, the Nissan Super Turbo's rear main seal is leaking. So, while it's still in Japan it's getting the seals, doing the clutch and belts as well, plugs, filters, boots and vacuum lines. This is not inexpensive but it sure is handy having that all done over there. Imagine rolling a Super Turbo to a typical mechanic here in the USA and going "ey, the rear main seal THANKS".

Also have booking for both the ST205 Celica and the gasoline Hilux as well to the surprised of Yoshi and I. No dock pictures yet of that Hilux which is strange, but I'll take it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

small chips in windshield, interior scratches/dirty/worn/tears, steering wheel cracks, dashboard cracks, seat torn, cargo area dents/scratches/surface rust, undercarriage surface rust/paint, other dents/scratches/paint peeling/surface rust, right rear bumper area cracks

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at 97,901km, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, tires at 50% ok, spare ok, cargo rea scratches/dents surface rust but no holes, undercarriage surface rust but ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat worn and 5cmx5cm tear, passenger seat ok, no burns, dashboard cracked in gauge area 30cm x 4, ceiling liner ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, power steering ok, wipers ok

1994 Toyota Hilux LN106, again, this time single-cab and long bed. 4x4, diesel, 5 speed manual, solid front and rear axles, 72,000~ total miles. Clean. No air conditioning equipped again unfortunately. Single cabs are uncommon enough as it is, especially with no corrosion.

Finally got dock picks on another of our Hilux pickups, the 96 EFI gasoline one with IFS up front and AC:

Both this Hilux and the ST205 Celica actually already have booking too, have them in early January.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This is too awesome not to share…

http://dinoevo.de/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Mitsubishi_Delica_l300_Accessories_Catalogue.pdf

Old Delica accessories catalog with invaluable part numbers. A ton of this stuff is still in stock and available at megazip! Really oddball stuff too - side graphics, curtains, tables and shelves. I’m geeking out. MZ has 20% off right now too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

This is too awesome not to share…

http://dinoevo.de/wp-content/uploads/pdf/Mitsubishi_Delica_l300_Accessories_Catalogue.pdf

Old Delica accessories catalog with invaluable part numbers. A ton of this stuff is still in stock and available at megazip! Really oddball stuff too - side graphics, curtains, tables and shelves. I’m geeking out. MZ has 20% off right now too.

That catalog rules, but I'm having doubts about the availability of the parts. Like I mentioned about the windshields a few posts up, they will list every part, including decal packages, as in stock until someone goes to order them, they check, they don't have it, then they mark the item as 'not in stock'. For instance:

MZ550032

Megazip:

Amayama:

Amayama uses that green dot to indicate stock. The light green one here shows they might have it, where a solid green one means they absolutely do. Megazip doesn't show that at all. My experience with decal packages specifically is how Megazip listed them as in stock, I put an order in for the set, a few days later they send a message saying "Sorry this part is no longer available" and then refund the purchase. I'm personally responsible for getting a bunch of Jimny parts and decals listed as 'not available' on Megazip and Amayama.

By all means give it a shot, I don't want anyone to get super excited that there is a warehouse in Japan/UAE with piles of L300 Delica decal packages lying around. ALSO Megazip's 20% coupon isn't nearly as good as they claim. I ordered a brake booster rebuild kit through Partsouq for 65 bucks plus shipping, the exact same part was 85 dollars plus shipping using Megazip's 20% off coupon. And I had it in less than two weeks because that's how Partsouq rolls.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That’s unfortunate…I didn’t know megazip also could be out of stock. 90% of what I want is cross listed as in stock megazip and amayama.

I also found one other catalog that is less pages but lists some tasty items not in the other catalog.

http://www.delica.ca/manuals/L-300%20Manuals%20&%20Plans/5%20Catalogue/Delica_Accessory_Catalogue.pdf

About to place an order for the baby blue carpet mat set which is almost half less than MZ. Will be gutted if it’s NLA

Edit: looks like if everything is the light green 85% on amayama nonpayment required at first…so at least no refund hassle

Edit: that order was canceled, but so far another megazip order and another amayama order have not yet been after 24 hours...fingers crossed

everdave fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 7, 2021

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Off topic, but since I saw him brought up here, WhistlinDiesel said he'll probably leave YT because his videos are getting age restricted, demonetized, and YT is flagging them for review before they can be posted. WD said he'll probably join Steven Crowder on Rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I think he's a dickhead but also so is Youtube. What are they objecting to?