Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Giving a presentation to potential investors on why dynamic genital mutilation technology is necessary in the Space Fedex game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Hey I'm saying this as one of the 174 kids who actually played BC3K and for far more hours I would like to admit. It was amazing to imagine what the game would be like if it didn't crash half the time you clicked on something and if all the systems in the game worked consistently or didn't also cause the game to crash when you used them. I don't really have time to do that imagining anymore nor thousands of dollars to fund the dream.

What do I know... let's see what this visionary's up to:

:lol:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DaysBefore posted:

Giving a presentation to potential investors on why dynamic genital mutilation technology is necessary in the Space Fedex game

"Hey everyone, hope everyone grabbed a donut and was able to chat a bit before getting settled in. My name is xxxMaulMaster69xxx and today I'll be presenting the exciting benefits of what implementing space rape could potentially bring to the 'verse."

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

See, before you „offer“ „securities“ to the „public“, you must file an „S-1 registration statement“, and are „personally liable“ for „material misstatements or omissions“ which…
Oh why do I care

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

A rebuttal to the onslaught of "SC has raised $400M and isn't out yet" articles being written right now posted:

I was rewatching the Pyro gameplay from CitizenCon and someone in the comments talked about feature creep and how it could be frustrating, but comparing 5 years ago to today it's pretty unbelievable where they've come and that makes it worth the pace.

Arguments about their conclusions aside, this made me have a thought. I work as a physicist at CERN and we spend significant sums of money in the pursuit of advancing our understanding of the natural world with full understanding that there is no "end" to the endeavor and therefore an ever present need for funding. I'm starting to view SC in a similar light. Not that I don't think it will ever come out, quite the contrary, Instead, Roberts Space Industries' approach to Star Citizen shouldn't be though of as game development but as game research. This frames the game, the funding, and the development in a completely different and much more understandable light. Perhaps in the beginning RSI wanted to make a game, but they've transitioned into a game research collaboration asking the question "what can we do with gaming". The bugs, the performance, the good and bad aspects of the alpha, it's all a part of the research process as they and we continue to push forward and experience the boundary of what is possible for a game.

They've said time and again that development will continue after the game launches, which makes even more sense given the above mindset. Anyway, I don't mind continuing to fund gaming research, I can't wait to see just how far we can go.

quote:

Very well stated, and I agree. It would seem a travesty to not pursue as much as humanly possible, considering the once-in-our-lifetime likelihood of a game ever getting this level of backer support. They could cut everything off now and deliver what's in the pipeline - but they'd be squandering opportunity by doing so.

That said, it's great to see them taking the less easy route; they've acknowledged that they need to get a more playable product in our hands, and they are both researching what the future of gaming might look like while focusing a great amount of effort on improving QoL and delivering more stable and compelling gameplay.

I'm completely fine with this approach, as I enjoy each new patch more than the last, while still knowing they're pushing boundaries for the future of the game.

It ceased being a game I backed a while ago, and has become a primary hobby for much more than just the gameplay.

quote:

Being a game developer myself, in simple terms: "I want to make a great game, no time or money constraints? I'm going to do it!"

That's basically it, most of us want to make that great game, but there's always roadblocks in the gaming industry where you always have to compromise somewhere. That's why games in general haven't really advanced technologically beyond just better graphics.

Simulation hasn't changed much in the last 2 decades, all we have is better graphics, there hasn't been a true paradigm shift in the way games are made, their scope and complexity. SC breaks through all of that, that's what makes it special.

Now personally I'm convinced we've just entered the last Alpha phase, with that we're seeing the game starting to finally be optimized, with things like Vulkan and Server Meshing nearer than ever. After that's done, it's all "open road" for SC, the game will grow exponentially faster over the next two years, and with that we'll have a soft-Beta soon after with about 5 systems, maybe even SQ42 within these next few years.

I know there's a lot of speculation around this, but I'm saying what I'm saying from experience and personal professional knowledge, so let's hope I'm not wrong 😅 But on that note, I have tons counter-points to any "scam citizens" out there. Their logic is quite flawed and based on ignorance😅

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Has anybody told those guys that if your game needs to grow exponentially faster across two-four years to deliver a beta with 5% of the promised content then you're in trouble?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
Butt biting cats are hilarious.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bronze Fonz posted:

Every mention of Derek Smart makes me wonder just how the hell we're still hearing about this guy at all. This legendary Game Director who produced a bomb in the mid-90's that was remade a couple of times as bargain bin pew pew games that barely anyone heard of much less played.

How is he still relevant? Is it only his own insistence we don't forget about him?

Smart has *never* released a single good game. Everything has been either vaporware or horrible. His *only* claim to fame is "being the first to opine that Star Citizen won't happen".

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Mirificus posted:

I work as a physicist at CERN and we spend significant sums of money in the pursuit of advancing our understanding of the natural world with full understanding that there is no "end" to the endeavor and therefore an ever present need for funding. I'm starting to view SC in a similar light. Not that I don't think it will ever come out, quite the contrary, Instead, Roberts Space Industries' approach to Star Citizen shouldn't be though of as game development but as game research.

please god don't let my colleagues actually be this stupid.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Mirificus posted:

I work as a physicist at CERN

Being a game developer myself
:rolleyes:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Hey relic, if you're reading this, please send me 50k as well, i can draw you nft jpegs of spaceships too, or promise to draw them anyway

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

hour long quest to deliver a box

hour long quest to deliver a box

look, I tolerate that in Death Stranding because at least that game is fun and not buggy

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

look, I tolerate that in Death Stranding because at least that game is fun and not buggy

It also has box delivery mechanics as one of its core design features, with all the Kojima madness this entails.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Tippis posted:

It also has box delivery mechanics as one of its core design features, with all the Kojima madness this entails.

And it has toilet gameplay! A must for your average citizen.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
derek smart exists in the minds of the space shooter community because not only is he the dude who made battlecruiser 3000AD, but he also once threatened to purchase the freespace IP and make his own games in the universe. he did this by coming over to the freespace 2 fan community forums and basically gloating that he'd do it and then cease and desist all their fan projects. this led to fan projects featuring derek smart as an antagonist.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imagine wanting stakes for investing 0.00125 % of total player "investment". Maybe come back when it's millions.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Extremely loving normal goon response to hearing that Derek Smarts dad died to create an entire page of posts about how much he sucks because he trolled some gamers a couple times

Yeah like he's not a stellar person all of the time but then again all of you are also goons?

I don't even have any kind of fondness for Derek specifically, that was just a weird series of posts to read.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The three of us here at my house who play space sims are about to wrap up on cashing out literally everything star citizen has to offer. We could probably answer any question you have about it with complete fairness, except that one. But any other question, yes.

.random
May 7, 2007

Kavros posted:

The three of us here at my house who play space sims are about to wrap up on cashing out literally everything star citizen has to offer. We could probably answer any question you have about it with complete fairness, except that one. But any other question, yes.

I don’t think there’s a sentence in this post I properly understand. I blame my reading comprehension for this, mind you, but… what?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
We blew through star citizen in a month, basically. Ten years of development, and it took maybe 25 to 30 days to see every corner of it and do all there is to do. But we have the advantage of having done everything they put in the game, in case anyone wants to know ... like, REALLY, what that is.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

HiroProtagonist posted:

I don't even have any kind of fondness for Derek specifically, that was just a weird series of posts to read.

Smart seems like kind of a blowhard but I never spent a penny on his games so I have no reason to dislike him personally.

I should throw in, his *ideas* are amazing. If BC3K had been polished and bug-free it would have been the game of the decade.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Derek Smart was Chris Roberts before Chris Roberts became Derek Smart. Derek, among his other talents, is a time traveler.

I’m old enough in the ways of Internet to recall Derek bragging about how he coded BC3K while homeless. So apparently even his dad wouldn’t support his development of the proto-Star Citizen, everything to everyone, game. Too bad crowd funding hadn’t caught on then or Derek may have gotten some of that sweet, sweet grift money and we’d all be dreaming about how amazing it will be someday going on 25+ years of wild promises later and Derek would have Musks spot as richest man in the world.

But, yeah, sorry to hear about his dad.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Kavros posted:

How much are you in for, between the 3 of you?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Blue On Blue posted:

How much are you in for, between the 3 of you?

$45 between us. One mustang alpha starter package they bought some time back. Then two of us playing on starter accounts generously donated by people who don't give a gently caress about the game anymore and were happy to let us go nuts in the eternal ∞lpha.

I used to say that you effectively lose nothing by just starting in the basic starter ships. But that's not even true. You GAIN a lot by not buying ships as a backer. If you buy the ships you like, then you just ... have them. You've skipped the quest to work your way up to the ship you want. And there's so precious little to do to begin with that you're stripping out the majority of the things to do with your time in the PU.

You're basically paying the game company hundreds of dollars to ... remove anything to do or quest for.

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

Murgos posted:

Derek Smart was Chris Roberts before Chris Roberts became Derek Smart. Derek, among his other talents, is a time traveler.

Has anybody ever seen Derek Smart and Chris Roberts in the same room?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I'll put every dime I have on this not happening for a huge list of reasons.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'll put every dime I have on this not happening for a huge list of reasons.

i'll see your dime and raise you two and a half NFT's

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Cargo ship size comparison

The giant dildo on the left is the Hulll-E (None of the Hull ships are available to fly in-game) with a capacity of 98,304 SCU. It was sold for 550 real American dollars. The tiny orange thing is the RAFT with its impressive 3 yellow containers for a grand total of 96 SCU. It costs 125 bucks. So 1/1024 times the cargo space for 1/4.4 times the money. A good investment if I may say so.

The purple TMNT vehicle is the Xi'an Railen. It's main selling point is that it has "Bespoke triangular cargo-pods". Seriously.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 27, 2021

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Imagine wanting stakes for investing 0.00125 % of total player "investment". Maybe come back when it's millions.

The Sunk Cost Galaxy dude was an actual investor, because he paid such a large lump sum that the only way to handle it was an official investment.

I have no idea what the sum was and it was also in the beginning when the total amount fleeced was relatively small.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Bronze Fonz posted:

Every mention of Derek Smart makes me wonder just how the hell we're still hearing about this guy at all. This legendary Game Director who produced a bomb in the mid-90's that was remade a couple of times as bargain bin pew pew games that barely anyone heard of much less played.

How is he still relevant? Is it only his own insistence we don't forget about him?

Nice meltdown friend.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

trucutru posted:

The purple TMNT vehicle is the Xi'an Railen. It's main selling point is that it has "Bespoke triangular cargo-pods". Seriously.

lmao

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Derek Smart is the devil to Crunch Roberts angel, if you will.

Triangle cargo pods are so futuristic, I should go pledge.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Triangle? Are they like pyramid tea bags?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1463576449118523392.html

Replace nfts with ships in this

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Kavros posted:

We blew through star citizen in a month, basically. Ten years of development, and it took maybe 25 to 30 days to see every corner of it and do all there is to do. But we have the advantage of having done everything they put in the game, in case anyone wants to know ... like, REALLY, what that is.

Really there's that much stuff in the game? As a goonly cuntifla fudster, I'm astonished, and ready to buy another Idris

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

trucutru posted:

Well, you weren't joking, it really says that.
Bespoke triangular cargo containers. For easy inter-operability with the rest of the galaxy with a side bonus of making stacking containers into a puzzle!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They are for carrying space toblerone

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Kavros posted:

$45 between us. One mustang alpha starter package they bought some time back. Then two of us playing on starter accounts generously donated by people who don't give a gently caress about the game anymore and were happy to let us go nuts in the eternal ∞lpha.

I used to say that you effectively lose nothing by just starting in the basic starter ships. But that's not even true. You GAIN a lot by not buying ships as a backer. If you buy the ships you like, then you just ... have them. You've skipped the quest to work your way up to the ship you want. And there's so precious little to do to begin with that you're stripping out the majority of the things to do with your time in the PU.

You're basically paying the game company hundreds of dollars to ... remove anything to do or quest for.

Did you guys actually progress to new ships? Is it possible to attain one of the higher tier ships into the $500 level?

Was the actual content like fighting enemy ships any fun when it worked?

In a 2-hour play session, how many game-killing bugs did you typically hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Fidelitious posted:

Well, you weren't joking, it really says that.
Bespoke triangular cargo containers. For easy inter-operability with the rest of the galaxy with a side bonus of making stacking containers into a puzzle!

this poo poo really grates me. spend 5 minutes thinking about how cargo might be packed! spend 5 more skimming through bin packing theory! find poo poo like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shapes_with_known_packing_constant and punch yourself for picking a suboptimal design! but I'm a drag, I just had more fun looking at the maths in that article than all of my time playing Star Citizen.

now I must reveal my dark secret.. I like how the HULL-E looks when loaded with cargo. I am so ashamed.