Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Nocheez posted:

Being able to ride the bike around for a little bit at the very least goes a long way, imo. I loved a rental bike so much that I (the first rider on it) shipped it home across the country. I could have saved $150 by just buying it near my home, but I already felt great on this bike so I bought it.

I'm only just regretting it because I can't get anyone to service the fork or get me the stuff I need to service it myself. 2021 woes continue :sigh:

Guess I'll ride it until it implodes and then swap a new fork.

I got all the parts to service my fork online and if you're reasonably handy and take your time it's not hard, just a little finicky the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Building bike parts got me looking again despite not riding my perfectly good bike much this year. This frame color looks pretty slick.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

i flunked out posted:

Has anyone got any tips on buying a bike online? Specifically thinking about buying a fully kitted bike vs buying a frame/suspension and building up from there.

The parts on the fully kitted bike are all pretty great, and are about what I would buy to put on it. That way I dont have to wait forever for things like say, a Deore XT drivetrain and brakes.

On the other hand, it would be cooler if I built it up on my own.

I bought a YT Tues (full bike) online in 2017, having never ridden one or even sat on one. It worked out well! I would say it's probably a less cool idea if your height is on the border between bike sizes. For me I'm pretty squarely in the XL sizing so I didn't have to worry about that.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I got all the parts to service my fork online and if you're reasonably handy and take your time it's not hard, just a little finicky the first time.

I agree with this, especially if you have a place where you can get a little oil around the place. I service my forks in my apartment and just take extra care. Realistically just lowers servicing is extremely easy and just a matter of having the right tools (specifically the seal press tools as some forks can be really tight and you don't want to damage the seals).

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 19, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

n8r posted:

Anyone run a Dissector as a front tire? Like it?

Demoed a Rocky Mountain with one this summer and it was pretty good. I'm personally still on team DHF though

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been thinking about it for awhile, with a 2.4 rekon rear, but haven't gotten around to actually ordering some. I had a dhf in good shape from last year so it was cheaper and easier to just put it on with an aggressor to get through next spring. Good grip, but just too slow and heavy for me and the majority of my riding.

And now vittoria has those new syerras coming out so i'm thinking about trying those instead.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Dissectors roll pretty well and are grippy
Main complaint I’ve heard is they wear fast but I got like 1200 miles out of a rear
Surely depends on what you’re riding but I liked them a lot for a good balance of grip and roll

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

n8r posted:

Anyone run a Dissector as a front tire? Like it?

I had one for about 3 weeks this summer. It was decent grip-wise but I destroyed it with 2 punctures and a sidewall tear. Definitely go for one stronger than exo casing. I rarely have tire issues so I'm still at a loss on why it died so quickly. Ended up switching back to my preferred Michelins after the Rekon I paired it with started experiencing similar issues.

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006
I guess you could say..I was born naturally influent.
I bought my first mtb two months ago and I've been having an absolute blast on my local trails here in Austin. Pretty much went with the cheapest tubeless hardtail I could find in my size, ended up with a '12 Scott Scale Elite 29 with Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front and Maxxis 2.1 Crossmark rear. Chris King bottom bracket and hubs, 1x10 with Shimano Deore XT derailer. The guy was very friendly and provided me a list of recommended trails and gear, got it for $850 which seemed like a smokin' deal for something that I could hit the trails with the same day.

Just yesterday my SO finally decided she was down to buy a bike after a lot of pestering and suffering through my excited post-ride stories. I've been really enjoying reading through the thread and thought I'd ask for some goon advice since I'm still figuring things out.

She's 5'4 and there's a pretty limited selection of XS and S bikes available. I'm looking at picking up this '19 Salsa Timberjack Deore 27.5+ for $750. Comes set up tubeless with newish 2.8 Maxxis Rekons. Looks like it has a dropper and a 1x drivetrain. I'm thinking the brakes and fork will be the limiting factor and honestly my home trails are very XC oriented and brutally rocky..but drat tomorrow is my birthday and I would absolutely love to go buy her this bike for Christmas and get a morning ride in.

Any goon advice/concerns before I go scoop this thing up? Bike in question:

My Scott Scale last night at Purgatory Creek in San Marcos, TX:

COOKIE DELIGHT fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 20, 2021

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That bike looks great for the price. Has hydraulic brakes from the looks of it and the fork is probably fine if it's an air fork.

E: it is and seems like a solid bike if it's in good shape.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 20, 2021

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

That bike looks great for the price. Has hydraulic brakes from the looks of it and the fork is probably fine if it's an air fork.

E: it is and seems like a solid bike if it's in good shape.

Awesome! It's a Suntour XCR 34, mixed reviews but it's an 130mm air fork. Was stoked on the fact that it's already got a 1x drivetrain, air fork, dropper and comes tubeless. Pretty much checks all the boxes based on the advice earlier in the thread.

I'm so pumped to have someone else to ride with and share the excitement of hitting new trails all over town. Feels like the day I got my bike all over again.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

If she doesn't like it, I don't doubt you can get your money back reselling it. GL

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Nohearum posted:

I had one for about 3 weeks this summer. It was decent grip-wise but I destroyed it with 2 punctures and a sidewall tear. Definitely go for one stronger than exo casing. I rarely have tire issues so I'm still at a loss on why it died so quickly. Ended up switching back to my preferred Michelins after the Rekon I paired it with started experiencing similar issues.

I feel like exo+ should be the lightest sidewall people use unless it's a dedicated xc race tire, cut sidewalls and short life is the common story for exo tires.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I feel like exo+ should be the lightest sidewall people use unless it's a dedicated xc race tire, cut sidewalls and short life is the common story for exo tires.

This really depends a lot on where you ride. If you have no sharp rocks to slash sidewalls or other common causes of punctures you are just choosing based on sidewall support, which means you could go with an insert and thin casing.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Maybe, I've seen friends rip sidewalls on flow trails with a exo casing plus an xc insert, if you give it the beans in a corner you can definitely fold the lighter sidewalls and get a long split tear in the tire. I've also had issues with burping or pulling tires off the bead with light casings and fast smooth trails, I really dont think you're saving much with exo and an insert vs exo+ or double down but not an expert on tires.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Some people just dont shred that hard

COOKIE DELIGHT
Jun 24, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

If she doesn't like it, I don't doubt you can get your money back reselling it. GL

NBD success! Appreciate the encouragement man. We picked it up this morning and had an amazing birthday cruise at my neighborhood trails in San Marcos, TX. She is way more of an athlete than I am and she crushed a bunch of blue-trail rock gardens that gave me a lot of trouble when I first started two months ago. I had screenshotted some of the advice from earlier in the thread and she did such a great job for her first ride.

http://imgur.com/a/Ahq8Spy

The front rotor creaks when you barely move the tire. It's a through axel so I may need a visit to the bike shop to have them true the rotor. I also need to learn to adjust her fork because it doesn't compress much under her weight.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
You may wanna try aligning the caliper, it’s simple. Loosen the two bolts holding it, squeeze the brake and tighten them back up.

I feel like most of the time when I suspect the rotor it’s the caliper off center or one of the pads not moving well. If it is the rotor you should be able to get it plenty straight by eye with a crescent wrench.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think I solved my problem of not being able to find parts or someone who can service my fork: buy a replacement fork for 200 bucks from the higher model. A local guy put it up for sale and it should be a direct replacement.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mexican Radio posted:

You may wanna try aligning the caliper, it’s simple. Loosen the two bolts holding it, squeeze the brake and tighten them back up.

I feel like most of the time when I suspect the rotor it’s the caliper off center or one of the pads not moving well. If it is the rotor you should be able to get it plenty straight by eye with a crescent wrench.

I had a nightmare of a time trying to get one rotor true with a wrench. Self admitted bad bike mechanic, though. Definitely try centering the caliper. Dead easy. Can do it by sight as well if the compress and tighten method doesn't get you there.

Awesome that you had a good time. All you need is a shock pump for the fork to dial it in. I love this basic setup guide for easy dialing in. https://youtu.be/xhnKTZu2AKs

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I've got an old 2008 rockhopper that I'm just not riding much anymore. I've been riding my road bike more lately and getting on the rockhopper it just feels so heavy and slow. The main problem I think is the pig rockshox dart 3 sl fork, but I don't know if it's worth replacing or if there's even any mid-level QR forks still being made that would be a big improvement? Another option is keeping the fork and just swapping out the 3x8 drivetrain to a 1x11 slx group. Looks like I could do that for under $300, but I don't know if that would make much of a difference to notice.

I'm mainly riding dirt/forest type roads so maybe I just need to sell it and get a gravel bike.

e: thoughts on this fork, is it $234 better than what I've got?
https://www.performancebike.com/manitou-markhor-air-fork-matte-black-51mm-offset-29-100mm-191-34156-a001/p-fqhrs49c2uzltqhe?v=663665

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 23, 2021

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Wifi Toilet posted:

I've got an old 2008 rockhopper that I'm just not riding much anymore. I've been riding my road bike more lately and getting on the rockhopper it just feels so heavy and slow. The main problem I think is the pig rockshox dart 3 sl fork, but I don't know if it's worth replacing or if there's even any mid-level QR forks still being made that would be a big improvement? Another option is keeping the fork and just swapping out the 3x8 drivetrain to a 1x11 slx group. Looks like I could do that for under $300, but I don't know if that would make much of a difference to notice.

I'm mainly riding dirt/forest type roads so maybe I just need to sell it and get a gravel bike.

e: thoughts on this fork, is it $234 better than what I've got?
https://www.performancebike.com/manitou-markhor-air-fork-matte-black-51mm-offset-29-100mm-191-34156-a001/p-fqhrs49c2uzltqhe?v=663665

I would check weights on the forks because it might not save as much weight as you are thinking and IMO won't dramatically change how slow/fast the bike feels. Tires are going to be the biggest change you can make for the money that will make the bike feel quicker. Cutting weight things to consider would be: moving to 1x drivetrain, going tubeless, and wheels. I would be hesitant to dump too much money into it because once you reach a certain threshold it would be better to save money and buy a new bike.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I really wouldn't upgrade to 1x unless you found an amazing deal. 2008 is a long way back

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
If you’re thinking of a gravel bike anyway, just switch to drop bars with that group set upgrade and put on fast tires and a rigid fork. Boom, 2021 gravel bike. Spray paint it a cool color and you could probably flip it to a roadie.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

How hardy are the one up carbon bars? Slid out and went down pretty hard the other day, scuffing up a grip and off centring the front end. Can't see any cracks but I did get some small scratches on the bars. Should I just swap them for a piece of mind?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

paberu posted:

How hardy are the one up carbon bars? Slid out and went down pretty hard the other day, scuffing up a grip and off centring the front end. Can't see any cracks but I did get some small scratches on the bars. Should I just swap them for a piece of mind?

They’re almost definitely fine. I’ve also got those bars and I wouldn’t worry too much about an impact like you’re describing. If you’re concerned, maybe take them by a shop and get a second opinion.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yeah I wouldn’t worry either

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i was riding over a wet wooden bridge and my bike left this plane of existence and reappeared on top of me. 8/10 wood ride again

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Been riding with a guy who has a 29r and watching him roll over obstacles I’m dodging has me aching for a 29r.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Been riding with a guy who has a 29r and watching him roll over obstacles I’m dodging has me aching for a 29r.

Well, he probably knows he has a 29r and actively chose it for stuff like that and probably makes a point of riding over that stuff because 29rs are marketed with that in mind. So he's self-selecting to some extent and it makes the fact he's going over that stuff more likely to be rider influenced and not equipment suitability. I bet you could ride over every single thing and barely notice a difference! Unless you have 26" wheels.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

Get ahead of the curve and go straight for the 36'er

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I would own all the goofy bikes if I had more room and more money

VelociBacon posted:

Well, he probably knows he has a 29r and actively chose it for stuff like that and probably makes a point of riding over that stuff because 29rs are marketed with that in mind. So he's self-selecting to some extent and it makes the fact he's going over that stuff more likely to be rider influenced and not equipment suitability. I bet you could ride over every single thing and barely notice a difference! Unless you have 26" wheels.

I do need to session or practice more than I do..

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Not exactly content but pretty happy with the bikewagon my partner has put together:

V.good way to drive our bikes around and we also have a mattress we can chuck in the back to sleep on when we're off at a bike park somewhere.

Also actual question, I've been riding a 2019 Giant trance 27.5 for a while and it's fine but I'm also finding that I like going fast down hills a lot and I'm wondering if I'd actually notice much/any difference going to a slacker/more enduro geometry? I rode a rental giant reign that had been converted more to a DH bike at a gravity bike park earlier this year (very tiny gear range, fixed seatpost in the down position, coil spring rear shock) and I don't think I noticed much difference other than a bit more spongy and more stable at speed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's no cheating the "sucks to pedal a DH bike up hills". Not too hardcore enduro bikes are usually fine IME but they're all 29" now and gently caress that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's meant to be the drawback of 29's? I went from 26 to 29 and I can't see any downside at all, everything is easier even the stuff I thought would be harder.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

Not exactly content but pretty happy with the bikewagon my partner has put together:

V.good way to drive our bikes around and we also have a mattress we can chuck in the back to sleep on when we're off at a bike park somewhere.

Also actual question, I've been riding a 2019 Giant trance 27.5 for a while and it's fine but I'm also finding that I like going fast down hills a lot and I'm wondering if I'd actually notice much/any difference going to a slacker/more enduro geometry? I rode a rental giant reign that had been converted more to a DH bike at a gravity bike park earlier this year (very tiny gear range, fixed seatpost in the down position, coil spring rear shock) and I don't think I noticed much difference other than a bit more spongy and more stable at speed.

I don't think you'd notice very much. It's a lot nicer of an experience to have the bike that can go up hills well and also go down hills decently rather than struggling on uphills just so you get some small benefit on the way down.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

What's meant to be the drawback of 29's? I went from 26 to 29 and I can't see any downside at all, everything is easier even the stuff I thought would be harder.
It's purely personal preference. I don't like how ungainly 29 feels, and how aware I have to be of the back wheel on downhills so as to not grind my taint.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

New bike day! 2021 Ripmo AF that I've been waiting on for 11 months. It rides gud

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eejit posted:

New bike day! 2021 Ripmo AF that I've been waiting on for 11 months. It rides gud

Looks great! Can't believe how nice it is there in November.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Blackhawk posted:

Post pics of your Trance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Eejit posted:

:toot: