Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh hey, my patreon backer cameo arrived in the comic. Gotta admit, he made me look a bit to handsome.

Edit: Meh, that lame joke is a bad way to start a page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Somebody call XCOM

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Jesus John you scared me! Why were you wandering out in the cold, come sit by the fire.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Dare I hope this a Dr. Disaster story?

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
see this is why you don't let the robots control the sliders during character creation

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Maldraedior posted:

see this is why you don't let the robots control the sliders during character creation
That guy pops out of the transfer chamber and all the other robots start quickly changing their answers

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh good, Robots became human and have a God complex.

UH OH

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Sick Adibas tracksuits btw

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Robot engineered the scheme that caused the Seraphs to fall from grace, didn't he?

I wonder if he's counseling them, and managing what resentment those robots may have.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Haha, I didn't even notice that when the guy goes "AH!" in the previous comic, the tail on his word bubble is definitely angular, like all androids.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

maltesh posted:

Robot engineered the scheme that caused the Seraphs to fall from grace, didn't he?

I wonder if he's counseling them, and managing what resentment those robots may have.

He did indeed. I doubt he'd be too pleased to have the new people lording it over them.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
It's cool that the most interesting part of the plot has been quietly simmering offscreen and barely mentioned while we got to see [gestures] all of this,

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

maltesh posted:

Legit forgot what this was.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Legit forgot what this was.

Reread this chapter if you want the full refresher: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1382

Otherwise, just the last two pages reveal's Robot's role: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1450

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
God that was a good chapter, and the first I got to see as it was being posted. How many years was it now? 7?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Rereading that, I'm shocked at the breakneck pace and how much agency and competency everyone has. Like, an entire boat gets hijacked by a robot overmind, holds everyone hostage and takes out Annie's powers, but they pull together and use their individual powers to create a victory that feels a little fantastical but ultimately earned. It's nice. It felt like showing how competent and confident Annie had become, and how much she could rely on her friends, before kind of... I don't know, knocking her down a peg with the Tony chapter.

Also, wow, how long the "Kat is some kind of robot angel and is aware of that" thing has been a plot point without really ever being addressed. At the end of Jeanne's chapter, Annie was like "Kat what the gently caress" and Kat said "we'll talk about it later" and then just sort of... never addressed that major thing I guess? I mean, yeah they've been busy, but also they've had bare minimum 6 months to address it (considering that's how much time passed since Annie went into the forest).

Maybe it was handled offscreen just like the important scene where Annie apparently demanded to be able to wear her makeup again.

(I also don't really get why Zimmy was affected by the rain? I thought the whole thing with the ether experiment was that it didn't affect her like normal rain did.)

Not to be completely negative or anything. I do love the designs of these two new characters and it would be cool if they stuck around.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

Rereading that, I'm shocked at the breakneck pace and how much agency and competency everyone has. Like, an entire boat gets hijacked by a robot overmind, holds everyone hostage and takes out Annie's powers, but they pull together and use their individual powers to create a victory that feels a little fantastical but ultimately earned. It's nice. It felt like showing how competent and confident Annie had become, and how much she could rely on her friends, before kind of... I don't know, knocking her down a peg with the Tony chapter.

Also, wow, how long the "Kat is some kind of robot angel and is aware of that" thing has been a plot point without really ever being addressed. At the end of Jeanne's chapter, Annie was like "Kat what the gently caress" and Kat said "we'll talk about it later" and then just sort of... never addressed that major thing I guess? I mean, yeah they've been busy, but also they've had bare minimum 6 months to address it (considering that's how much time passed since Annie went into the forest).

Maybe it was handled offscreen just like the important scene where Annie apparently demanded to be able to wear her makeup again.

(I also don't really get why Zimmy was affected by the rain? I thought the whole thing with the ether experiment was that it didn't affect her like normal rain did.)

Not to be completely negative or anything. I do love the designs of these two new characters and it would be cool if they stuck around.

The rain causes her to undergo a backlash because it does not relieve her pressure like normal rain does.

Why it was so extreme can be handwaved with "robots doing hosed poo poo"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

A big flaming stink posted:

The rain causes her to undergo a backlash because it does not relieve her pressure like normal rain does.

Why it was so extreme can be handwaved with "robots doing hosed poo poo"
But in the chapter, it does. It's clearly shown to affect her like normal rain despite its artificial etheric nature.

They say "the ether thingies broke so rain is gonna fall, make sure Zimmy's outside". Why is the artificial ether rain fine here but it wasn't back in the Power Station chapter?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The etheral siphons were holding the rain back and draining it of what Zimmy needed to make it work right. When they were taken out, then the siphons stopped siphonning the rain and it was normal again = works for Zimmy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tiny Myers posted:

The initial Tony chapters were amazing. As first it didn't read as taking her down a peg; the contrast between The Torn Sea/Totem and the first Tony chapter emphasises how severely his coming back hosed her up. Chapters 51 to 76 are really really good with flaws, but even the stuff that's flawed had payoffs. I still can't not laugh at the Original the Character art on the Loup reveal page, but Loup himself is (was) a great villain. The "OK let's go get Jean" now page is a little jarring, but the actual Jean fight and the fallout from it was really really good. But it's like something happened around chapter 77 to make Tom suddenly just snap and get sick of a bunch of the existing story arcs, the Tony arc specifically. The thousand eyes are a mystery and have been around for centuries! Oh wow Kat made them!!! Aaaaaand suddenly here's every instance of the Tic Tocs disposed of in a few pages, none of which are centuries ago or reference the fact that it started growing into the cliff. Aaaand here's the Annie's mooshed back together. Aaaaand here's a chapter long series of dialogues where Annie becomes fine with her dad in a way that takes far too long and yet not long enough.

Until I was reminded of the thousand eyes stuff I assumed it was because Tom did an abrupt about turn on some personal stuff in his own life so his heart just wasn't in the bad dad story anymore. Which I mean, it's been 16 years, since he started a comic about a girl's relationship with her dead mom and absentee father, things change. But like... a) there's a few subtle details that are probably different between the fictional situation he created and whatever is going on in real life, and b) what was up with the end of the tictocs arc seriously that was some bullshit.

I'll have a large plain fries, I brought my own salt.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The issue with Zimmy and rain had nothing to do with whether the rain was real or not. It had to do with whether the water contained ether. In Power Station, the station had removed the ether from the water it evaporated, then returned the water as rain. With no ether, it didn't serve to alleviate Zimmy's stress and so she experienced an explosion of her other world. Then, in Spring Heeled, the station again removes ambient ether as part of Jack's plan to draw out Zimmy. This time however, Jones has the ether returned with the water, soothing Zimmy and returning things to normal. It's this exact latter phenomenon that happens in Torn Sea as well.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Your first paragraph is basically my thoughts that I was too lazy to write before, including Chap 77 feeling like the turning point.

Looking forward to seeing what the robots have been up to though. Wonder if they're digging up the shells of their old bodies. If not, then what? Something seems to be glowing, but maybe it's a tunnel entrance.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

The issue with Zimmy and rain had nothing to do with whether the rain was real or not. It had to do with whether the water contained ether. In Power Station, the station had removed the ether from the water it evaporated, then returned the water as rain. With no ether, it didn't serve to alleviate Zimmy's stress and so she experienced an explosion of her other world. Then, in Spring Heeled, the station again removes ambient ether as part of Jack's plan to draw out Zimmy. This time however, Jones has the ether returned with the water, soothing Zimmy and returning things to normal. It's this exact latter phenomenon that happens in Torn Sea as well.

Still feels a little weird to me that with all the characters popping in and out post Loup bullshit and all the poo poo going on, I don't think we've seen Jack or Jenny once since Torn Sea either. I know the main Annie and Jack story threads mostly resolved with faraway morning but they were also like the main example of students outside Annie's immediate friends group/the other medium candidates who were shown to be particularly competent.

I don't think we've seen any students really outside of Annie, Kat, Parley, Smitty, Zimmy, Gamma since like, Paz's argument with Annie? Considering that first and foremost Gunnerkrigg is a boarding school that covers several years and is largely students with special traits not having other students around makes the setting feel a lot smaller even with the forest folk and humanized robots around.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
gently caress off Seraph! Your old and unwanted! Noone ever liked you! t:mad:t

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

catapede posted:

Your first paragraph is basically my thoughts that I was too lazy to write before, including Chap 77 feeling like the turning point.

Looking forward to seeing what the robots have been up to though. Wonder if they're digging up the shells of their old bodies. If not, then what? Something seems to be glowing, but maybe it's a tunnel entrance.

I kind of assumed that they're digging up the robots that were being used to power the shield, so they can turn them into "humans" or whatever they are now.

Zerilan posted:

Still feels a little weird to me that with all the characters popping in and out post Loup bullshit and all the poo poo going on, I don't think we've seen Jack or Jenny once since Torn Sea either. I know the main Annie and Jack story threads mostly resolved with faraway morning but they were also like the main example of students outside Annie's immediate friends group/the other medium candidates who were shown to be particularly competent.

I don't think we've seen any students really outside of Annie, Kat, Parley, Smitty, Zimmy, Gamma since like, Paz's argument with Annie? Considering that first and foremost Gunnerkrigg is a boarding school that covers several years and is largely students with special traits not having other students around makes the setting feel a lot smaller even with the forest folk and humanized robots around.

We do get the forest folk and the human bots, but nobody that we've known previously and hardly anyone that we come to know. The only new character really has been that forest girl who's bangin Jim jams, and I think we've only seen her once since it was established her and Eglamore were dating (when she talked about Tony, lmao)

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

CodfishCartographer posted:

I kind of assumed that they're digging up the robots that were being used to power the shield, so they can turn them into "humans" or whatever they are now.

Yep. For some reason I thought Kat got all the chips already, but I was wrong.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

catapede posted:

Yep. For some reason I thought Kat got all the chips already, but I was wrong.

They were only able to get the robots that the court override and took the chips out of, and they said at the end of last chapter the robots were very upset about all the lost ones buried.

I've only just realised that with Juliette covering for them, the presumed loss of all the robots underground means they may be able to transfer all of them to new bodies without the court eventually going 'hey where did all the robots go'.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 30, 2021

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

MikeJF posted:

I've only just realised that with Juliette covering for them, the presumed loss of all the robots underground means they may be able to transfer all of them to new bodies without the court eventually going 'hey where did all the robots go'.

And with all the forest people/creatures now in the Court as refugees, the new population of Not-Humans can kinda be shrugged off.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I would once have been excited to see what kind of human(ish) bodies Boxbot and King Robot end up in… though I’m not sure the comic wants to maintain that tone anymore. If they do show up I’ll be delighted!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

feetnotes posted:

I would once have been excited to see what kind of human(ish) bodies Boxbot and King Robot end up in… though I’m not sure the comic wants to maintain that tone anymore. If they do show up I’ll be delighted!

Boxbot will absolutely pick this.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It is simultaneously a bit odd and also kind of expected that the robots would be so... limited in their choices so far, I guess. I'd have expected them to pick designs that were either far more similar to each other or significantly more divergent, while they seem to be hewing pretty close to standard human variation.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

It's implied that a majority chose "random" and Kat kept their appearance within the bounds of human-like.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also if they ever want to be able to leave the court they need to be able to pass for human. That's why Arthur did the whole thing in the first place.

Although speaking of which, these guys are more realistic-to-human than Arthur and don't have his visible seams, I hope Kat gave him an upgrade and he didn't get stuck with a dodgy Mk 1 model after all that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 1, 2021

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MikeJF posted:

Also if they ever want to be able to leave the court they need to be able to pass for human. That's why Arthur did the whole thing in the first place.

Although speaking of which, these guys are more realistic-to-human than Arthur and don't have his visible seams, I hope Kat gave him an upgrade and he didn't get stuck with a dodgy Mk 1 model after all that.

Are you calling Arthur a beta male?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

maswastaken posted:

It's implied that a majority chose "random" and Kat kept their appearance within the bounds of human-like.

With a dash of anime cause Kat is, afterall, a huge dork.

Scholtz posted:

Are you calling Arthur a beta male?

Technically Alpha unless you count Robot's bio bits.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

MikeJF posted:

He designed his appearance with her, right? I'm assuming he just upgraded from robot to sexy robot since that's Juliet's kink :roboluv:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Wonder if they all got an individual consult on their schlong/titty/etc appearance like Arthur did.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

They just roll 3d6 and keep the two highest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Wonder if they all got an individual consult on their schlong/titty/etc appearance like Arthur did.

I assume that's in the character creator.

Does make you wonder if the bio-robots are capable of having children. That's when the whole idea of creating a new form of life will really take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
And once again we are reminded of how messed up all of this is because they still refer to Kat as "the angel".