Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Nihonniboku posted:

Smart move to do Shan, they all knew she was a major threat to win if she made it to the final 4. At the same time, the move blows up EVERYONE'S game, the only alliance still standing in the game are Danny and Deshawn. And this just ensured that Heather, Erika, and Xander make it much further into the game than before. Xander is playing it smart and just keeping his head down for now, and Erika and Heather are not just offering themselves up as numbers, but calling shots that are changing the game.

Hard to tell who goes next. The preview makes it seem like Ricard is the target, but because of that it probably means he's safe. I'd say Liana is in a rough spot because she was the only person not to vote with the group.

This sums up how I feel. It was a good move that may end up having some bad consequences.

I guess maybe they should have tried to truly blindside Xander but even that isn't a great move from Danny and Deshawn's perspective since they both view Xander as one of their numbers.

There is the safe move of just Erika and Heather I guess and I don't have a good argument for as to why they didn't just do this and I'd be interested in hearing that when we get to the post game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just really don't get it. If you're Ricard why not just do Shan's plan and take out Deshawn? Now you've split the power alliance and kept your hands clean and kept Shan trusting you. But she's also been weakened so you're in a better position to take your shot after. She's got an idol so ok, there's always the chance you won't get a second chance. But I think its always a mistake when players start making "I don't want to sit next to you" moves like that this early. There's a lot of game left.

Deshawn and Danny probably shouldn't have ever floated the idea of blindsiding Shan on a Ricard vote. I mean, she clearly proved them right on that but they also kind of gave her no choice by taking the first shot and trusted on Liana to be with them. That's clearly a bad move. And I guess after Liana tells Shan and doesn't tell them about Shan's plan to target Deshawn they decide she's already burnt so blindsiding her on a Shan vote is redundant. But it all feels like avoidable damage to your own game.

One of them still has to win and maybe it will be Ricard, Deshawn, or Danny. But Survivor is about more than one move. And I think they all got caught up in insecurity about being seen as lesser players to Shan and struck too soon.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

But I think its always a mistake when players start making "I don't want to sit next to you" moves like that this early. There's a lot of game left.

Not sure this counts as too early anymore. There's only three votes left (and fire), so taking out Erika, while it does take out a power player, leaves two idols in the game for those votes without enough numbers to safely split. And when you can't safely split, the best time to target an idol is when you have immunity and can't end up going out with only one or two votes on you because they sussed it out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I do agree that Erika feels like a bit of a wasted strike right now with all the threats there. But like I said, if you're Ricard and your concern is Shan why not try and play her idea of getting Deshawn out? It gets out about player, splits the alliance, and weakens Shan.

Of course maybe Ricard tried and Shan just outright refused and insisted on an easy vote. Its that thing where we never really know what we didn't see. But I dunno. F8 isn't early, but its still kind of early to take out your #1 or break up your final four. I guess the counter argument to that would be like Dominic and Wendell where Dom just never found the "right time". And yeah, idols and fire complicate things. Maybe I'm 100% wrong. Maybe they made the right call. It just feels a lot more perilous for everyone than it did before voting out Shan.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The other thing to factor in was that even though he and Shan were each other's #1, Shan was in a 4 person alliance that he wasn't a part of, so throwing the game into chaos by taking out the head benefits him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but there were other ways to break up that alliance. Hell, you could argue it had already happened even if it was a cold war.

If Ricard maneuvers it and wins then he gets to say he made the right move. But like... would anyone be surprised if he just gets voted out next because half the tribe already were targeting him and he just spearheaded the elimination of the one person watching his back?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Shan and Ricard had a weird dynamic. Obviously it was a significant bond, but when the two fiercest players out there are telling each other that they'll be gunning for each other soon, the pairing is ultimately a ticking time bomb. Like hey maybe Shan wants to split Erika/Heather up first and -then- target Ricard next TC? Who knows if/when Ricard will win immunity again so this very well may have been his only opportunity to pull off such a delicate move from a position of power.

I'm also guessing their mutually assured destruction thing probably wasn't just a matter of respectful competitiveness - I suspect some trust was lost for good after the drama over Ricard giving Shan's advantage back.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I do agree that Erika feels like a bit of a wasted strike right now with all the threats there. But like I said, if you're Ricard and your concern is Shan why not try and play her idea of getting Deshawn out? It gets out about player, splits the alliance, and weakens Shan.

Shan's pretty weak as it is now too, even better now if you're Ricard she's an FTC vote.

I'm in the "good move" camp overall but mostly because it's so rare to see a tribe actually directly take out a threat instead of a shield.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I just really don't get it. If you're Ricard why not just do Shan's plan and take out Deshawn? Now you've split the power alliance and kept your hands clean and kept Shan trusting you. But she's also been weakened so you're in a better position to take your shot after. She's got an idol so ok, there's always the chance you won't get a second chance. But I think its always a mistake when players start making "I don't want to sit next to you" moves like that this early. There's a lot of game left.

Deshawn and Danny probably shouldn't have ever floated the idea of blindsiding Shan on a Ricard vote. I mean, she clearly proved them right on that but they also kind of gave her no choice by taking the first shot and trusted on Liana to be with them. That's clearly a bad move. And I guess after Liana tells Shan and doesn't tell them about Shan's plan to target Deshawn they decide she's already burnt so blindsiding her on a Shan vote is redundant. But it all feels like avoidable damage to your own game.

One of them still has to win and maybe it will be Ricard, Deshawn, or Danny. But Survivor is about more than one move. And I think they all got caught up in insecurity about being seen as lesser players to Shan and struck too soon.

If Deshawn and Ricard are left together, DeShawn has a bigger target. If Shan and Ricard are left together, Ricard has a bigger target. I think that’s all there is to it from Ricard’s perspective.

I think he also correctly inferred that Liana had allegiance to Shan but not really to DeShawn or Danny from the fact that she ratted them out to Shan.

She had an idol, she’d just pissed off Danny and DeShawn. You have to take the shot when the shot is there and he did.

I’ll agree that D and D screwed up telling Liana anything. Liana is a tremendously bad player.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I feel like this season would be good for a rewatch/binge. Hopefully the ending is satisfying.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

I kind of think that Danny, Shan, and Liana would be a much tighter 3 than Danny, Deshawn, and Liana are. Liana is not going to be happy at all with the vote so their alliance is likely completely split apart and there is actually an opening for Ricard to move forward and possibly get himself in the position to be in the middle of 2 alliances for a tribal or two.

There's also realistically not that many more chances to take a shot at a big target. The idol is good until the final 5 and there is also the shot in the dark. If the target is there and able to be hit with a blindside, I think you have to take it, even at the final 8.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Gonna take this between episode time to say i just started watching S28 for the first time. 1 episode in and all I can say is: lmao.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

IcePhoenix posted:

Not sure this counts as too early anymore. There's only three votes left (and fire), so taking out Erika, while it does take out a power player, leaves two idols in the game for those votes without enough numbers to safely split. And when you can't safely split, the best time to target an idol is when you have immunity and can't end up going out with only one or two votes on you because they sussed it out.

This. Survivor creeps up on you with the timing and it's very easy to get caught up in a game plan such that you lose sight of the real dangers. With two idols in play, I agree that this was a good and necessary move. We'll never know if DeShawn would have been a better move but I'm not at all mad at this.

How do people feel about letting people hold possession of advantages as a matter of trust? I hate it but I don't know how I'd react if I had one and got confronted with something like that speaking to the trust issues between Shan and Ricard.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Studio posted:

Gonna take this between episode time to say i just started watching S28 for the first time. 1 episode in and all I can say is: lmao.

Steve wins.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Is it? It seems like one of those heavy start edits which usually means the person goes home dramatically before the final group. In the last few seasons the winner has been the person with the lowkey edits which might be someone like Deshawn.

Just gonna put this here. This was in response to people thinking Shan was getting a winner's edit. I await my sticker!

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Paramount Plus has a few seasons of Australian Survivor - I’m about ten episodes into Champions vs Contenders 2 and this season is so great beyond anything the US has put out recently.

edit: also the coolest immunity idol

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 27, 2021

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"

Capsaicin posted:

Paramount Plus has a few seasons of Australian Survivor - I’m about ten episodes into Champions vs Contenders 2 and this season is so great beyond anything the US has put out recently.

Agreed - Australian Survivor maintains a very high level of quality and adopts some of the U.S. meta while still being its own distinct thing. Season 2 of Australian Survivor is a top 10 all-time season, and a good chunk of the returnees on All-Stars would go far in an International All-Stars season.

The only tough thing about the franchise besides the non-vote off episodes is that it's so long that sometimes the premerge and postmerge are two completely different games with distinct storylines and characters. By the time a U.S. season ends, an Australian season is just getting to the merge.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah but they also have multiple episodes per week which helps with the pace

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
The all stars Australian survivor is my favorite season of anything all time. So good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Studio posted:

That whole season is pretty freakin lmao

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly besides the 1st new season, Survivor Australia has really been on par or much better than US Survivor.

They also have a new season coming in February 2022 and appear to be taking on the Blood Vs Water theme... There is a pretty major rumor from the casting but there really seems to only be 1 article on it that many sites have grabbed, which I will be cool and spoiler for those that get upset on casting rumors... Sandra

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 28, 2021

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Champions vs Contenders 2 basically made me a fan of Survivor again after a decade away. A loving stacked cast, across the board.

We went back to watch the first australian season with LaPaglia and its... fine? Really feels like a throwback to a different era.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Narcissus1916 posted:

Champions vs Contenders 2 basically made me a fan of Survivor again after a decade away. A loving stacked cast, across the board.

Male model David has been better and shown more personality than every model type on all the US seasons and I’m only halfway through the season.

#1 thing about Australian Survivor though is now I really wanna make a Mexican Parma.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Khanstant posted:

That whole season is pretty freakin lmao

I bailed and looked up who won (it wasn't a surprise) because marathoning survivor... gets real draining imo, the week to week format really helps it. That said, the first half of 28 is just a chef repeatedly kissing his hands

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

OzSurvivors 2017 and 2019 i strongly believe to be top ten all seasons across all regions, with 2019 being top 5 all time.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I loved 2018 (Benji, Shonee/Finella) and this year’s Aus Survivor too.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Prediction: Xander idols out Liana. I feel like you don’t get a scene of someone saying they hate a guy’s face unless a downfall is coming

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I was shocked in the moment watching them bring Liana in on that. They didn’t need her, could’ve grabbed Erika/Heather/Xander to make 5. I guess they didn’t want to blindside their whole alliance. Still, completely unsurprising fo see someone widely described as Shan’s minion leak the move to Shan.

Speaking of, did you all see the bonus scene of Xander/Liana?
https://ew.com/tv/recaps/survivor-season-41-episode-10/

Rick posted:

There is the safe move of just Erika and Heather I guess and I don't have a good argument for as to why they didn't just do this and I'd be interested in hearing that when we get to the post game.
instead of doing that, they’ve handed that duo an immense amount of power

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, I was shocked in the moment watching them bring Liana in on that. They didn’t need her, could’ve grabbed Erika/Heather/Xander to make 5. I guess they didn’t want to blindside their whole alliance. Still, completely unsurprising fo see someone widely described as Shan’s minion leak the move to Shan.
I certainly understand the idea of not wanting to blindside Liana as well as Shan so you're trying to minimize damage and make it so Shan doesn't have anywhere else to go. But maybe if your move requires you to blindside half of your alliance you should reconsider it. And clearly they had a bad read on Liana's loyalty order. My guess is that was Deshawn projecting his own frustrations with Shan on Liana so he just assumed she'd see the "problem".

I would have gotten scared if I was them when they did the "who's the one player getting scary?" and Liana named like half the tribe before Ricard. You're not on the same page, guys.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I think if anything the misread was that Liana would agree that the three of them really needed a move without Shan, no matter how they felt about her, if they were going to do anything other than march to the end helping Shan win. Hard to predict that Liana would openly agree to do exactly that in confessional!

The Shan-Deshawn divide was soooo good. She correctly reads that he's doubting her, but then they talk and he leaves recommitted to their four and decides not to go for her. But he also realizes he needs a move so he and Danny decide they need to go for Ricard without her. They know she'll be mad, but he's outside the four, so how mad can she be? But she takes that as a huge betrayal, though not enough of one to go for Deshawn directly. She tells Ricard, who uses that to flip Deshawn and Danny, who wouldn't have gone for her without her leaking their plan! And she's toast, and then is mad at Deshawn! What a sequence.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"

Capsaicin posted:

Male model David has been better and shown more personality than every model type on all the US seasons and I’m only halfway through the season.

Both David and Henry live in America AFAIK and it'd be killer to see them play a U.S. game. The two of them and Shonee are excellent confessionalists.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Studio posted:

I bailed and looked up who won (it wasn't a surprise) because marathoning survivor... gets real draining imo, the week to week format really helps it. That said, the first half of 28 is just a chef repeatedly kissing his hands

Haha, it's definitely a weird shoe to binge through. I watched all of the seasons in a row a couple years ago and there were definitely some seasons I speed-ran by skipping ahead through dull moments or casts I didn't much like. I do think Survivor is at it's best when shared, it was nice to pop into the thread with random observations from ancient seasons and people here still remembered or had similar/different reactions. Even with the winner spoiled, I find it easy enough to root for a loser knowing they loser anyway.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

freeman posted:

Been waiting over 13 years for Mole to come back. Always wondered why it didn't stick around.

I just started binging the season so this is from ages ago, but CNN told Anderson Cooper that if he wanted to stick with them and keep doing real journalism, he couldn't be off hosting a game show. They tried doing it without him but no one could come close to being as good a host as he was, then they went gimmicky with D list celebs and killed any chance the show had. Phil Keoghan could have pulled it off, he has the same energy, but I imagine they don't want one guy hosting multiple shows at the same time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've been waffling back and forth between rankings for an IcePhoenix Power Rankings post for since like Friday because I think the top is really close right now (which is really fun!) and I'm not 100% sure how to place the bottom so I'm just gonna go with this with the expectation that it will be incredibly wrong.

Ricard
Erika
Xander

Deshawn

Danny
Liana

Heather

First tier is a combination of Xander moving down and Ricard and Erika moving up in my behind the tiers "numbers" (there's no actual formula it's just gut feel with a gap size). Ricard's move obviously paints him as a big threat but Erika was the one who put together the 3-3 split which was just as important. I think Xander is playing a little better than most people give him credit for because he hasn't been in a power position but being able to hold his idol and extra vote for so long while being an obvious immunity threat speaks to his ability to read the room really well, imo. This top tier is also ranked in the order I feel like they'd finish if more than one of them ended up in the finals at the moment, but it's close enough that I wouldn't be surprised at all if it moves around.

DeShawn is in a weird middle spot in that I don't think he has any shot in hell of beating the top three but he's at least trying to play the game harder than the bottom three so I just put him here. But honestly I kind of wonder if he's pissed enough people off with how swingy he seems to be that he wouldn't lose to Danny or Liana. Still I think this is where I want him.

Danny and Liana are tough for me to place because they probably should be down with Heather but I think the fact that they were in a solid alliance for a longer time than Heather was means they'll get more social votes (because they were in a close group) and strategic votes (because they were able to dictate how things went, even if it was mostly following Shan). Even though I think her gameplay is laughably bad I feel like if Liana is in the finals she's going to somehow end up with like 2 or 3 votes just based on social connections.

I feel bad for Heather she's been invisible almost the entire game but at least with fewer people she's getting more screentime now, and the edit this week showed her at least helping Erika move her plan.

Thank you for reading my Monday Morning Work Procrastination Post

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't been impressed by Ricard but if he can make it past these next few votes I will be. It seems like such a precarious position. He was already perceived as a threat and had the numbers against him to vote him out. He only really had Shan and by extension Liana. He just voted out Shan and blindsided/betrayed Liana. Danny and Deshawn are less dangerous now since their alliance has been broken. Ricard is more dangerous that he was a week having orchestrated the biggest move in the game and cut the throat of his closest ally and the biggest player.

So like maybe they'll get their shot at Xander or fall into that old trap of knocking out the black players in a row. But I dunno. Ricard seems like the #1 threat right now and he's got no one watching his back. But if he can maneuver this without just grabbing an idol then I'll be genuinely impressed.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Ricard and Xander have known FTC votes going their way where nobody else really does. They also have competitive resumes. DeShawn basically has an anti-vote. Danny and Erika haven't made real moves they can take credit for. Liana is a joke. And apparently there's a seventh person still in the game?

As it is, the winner is whoever lasts longer from between Ricard and Xander. Tough call if they both get to FTC.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sighence posted:

Ricard and Xander have known FTC votes going their way where nobody else really does. They also have competitive resumes. DeShawn basically has an anti-vote. Danny and Erika haven't made real moves they can take credit for. Liana is a joke. And apparently there's a seventh person still in the game?

As it is, the winner is whoever lasts longer from between Ricard and Xander. Tough call if they both get to FTC.

Typically I would agree 100%, Liana & Danny for sure will get Shan's vote at the end. Even with her speech at the end I think there's a good chance she would still vote for DeShawn also. Unless they really blow up each others games, I think the POC alliance will still carry over to the final tribal votes!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sighence posted:

Erika is the one who suggested they split the vote between Shan and Liana.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sighence posted:

Erika [hasn't] made real moves [she] can take credit for.

are we watching the same show?

She brought up the naseer blindside to ricard and shan and also came up with the 3-3 split in case shan used an idol

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Fair point about Naseer's blindside, that's one in her favor.

A detail that wound up being unused that was piggybacking off someone else's plan to start... if she has to use that as resume material at all let alone as bullet point #2 she's already done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Xander is scarily close to waltzing his way to victory. To be fair though, I find holding onto an idol and leveraging that across half the game to be way more impressive than "find an idol, use the idol. Find another idol in a tree, play idol. Find another idol in a bush, play idol" players.

Erica would need to make one hell of a case for herself, plus overcoming the not-so-latent sexism that skews final tribals.

My money is on Ricard though. And by "my money" I mean "my random comment posted here".