Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

MetaJew posted:

How "safe" is riding a scooter in a place like Phuket? I would very much like to rent scooters and scoot around places in foreign countries-- but I have no desire to ride in like, major cities in India/China/Vietnam from what I've seen and heard from coworkers.

I don’t think it’s inherently less safe than riding elsewhere, but you will almost certainly be less safe there. Unless you bring your own the only gear you’re probably going to be wearing is a half helmet, and not one that would meet any US or Euro standards. Also you’re probably wearing shorts and a tshirt because it’s SE Asia. The other stuff that could get you—bad drivers, bad roads—I don’t think that’s worse in Phuket than anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

MetaJew posted:

How "safe" is riding a scooter in a place like Phuket? I would very much like to rent scooters and scoot around places in foreign countries-- but I have no desire to ride in like, major cities in India/China/Vietnam from what I've seen and heard from coworkers.
This is a great question and also very hard to answer. I never myself rode around Bangkok but I did get an exhaust burn from getting off a motorsci taxi when my good luck hat went flying off my head and I got off the bike the wrong way to go pick it up. luckily it wasnt too bad and tagaderm exists and i got my hat back before going to phuket.

this is taken from riding pilion on a motorcycle taxi. i took another that was an old beater UJM and he was working it hard.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 19, 2021

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

after i left BKK i went to phuket and i gotta say its busy as gently caress. so much traffic. the grom was perfect though. as is having a set of earbuds connected to your phone to do GPS directions so getting around is easy. traffic is busy but they are used to motos, but its also pretty laissez-faire.

phuket is beautiful but busy. if you go i recommend getting to a smaller island. the beaches are amazing.

sand everywhere so just take corners with some respect. great beaches, but so busy. i guess when there is an international airport there you might expect that.

after that i did the chiang mai loop on a honda cbx500.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

I think they're slowly selling off the old stock cause I was looking on their site earlier and they still list them for the busa and a Honda cruiser

Also, I present to you, a satan:

I'm impressed by the sheer amount of work that has gone into that design without anyone at any point thinking "Wait... is this actually poo poo?".

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

but I did get an exhaust burn from getting off a motorsci taxi when my good luck hat went flying off my head and I got off the bike the wrong way to go pick it up. luckily it wasnt too bad and tagaderm exists and i got my hat back before going to phuket.

Dang lost your good luck hat and was immediately injured.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
In HCMC the pipeburn is called a "scooter kiss." As for safety the massive cities are way safer than the country due to insane truck/bus drivers. You're never going faster than 40mph so you have all the time in the world to react to surprises like the Grab driver wandering in the middle of the lane trying to find his address on his phone. It was a real shock going from there back to 90mph SUV murder zone highways in the States.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've been watching YouTube crash videos for a long time, and those massive scooter pileups are incredibly painful to watch. Not because they go fast or crash hard, but because of how little concern for Rider safety there is in general.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Springfield Fatts posted:

In HCMC the pipeburn is called a "scooter kiss."

I've heard it called the "Koh Samui Tattoo"

Re: charging electric cars, I have a 3 phase supply at my parking space that I get 11kW out of. It runs into a use-case issue though, it's not fast enough to quickly fill it up if you're empty like a DCFC, and then if it's only ever charging overnight it makes little difference what your top charging speed is. I would definitely get no benefit from a 22kW charger.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Springfield Fatts posted:

In HCMC the pipeburn is called a "scooter kiss." As for safety the massive cities are way safer than the country due to insane truck/bus drivers. You're never going faster than 40mph so you have all the time in the world to react to surprises like the Grab driver wandering in the middle of the lane trying to find his address on his phone. It was a real shock going from there back to 90mph SUV murder zone highways in the States.

My first bike had a little oval of an unwitting passenger’s melted/carbonized skin on the pipe until the day I sold it

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

knox_harrington posted:

I've heard it called the "Koh Samui Tattoo"
That's just regular road rash from dumping a scooter after failing to negotiate a set of steep sharp curves covered in sand and oil after having a few too many Changs in the sun. I saw a few of accidents and the aftermath, none of them too serious. On the ferry I saw one totally dejected looking guy in his 20s with a cast on his arm and road rash everywhere, so.... how's your vacation going? 125 cc is definitely enough for the roads on those small islands!

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.0122894,102.2910969,3a,66.8y,233.27h,67.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGKFz_BDDXoH3k7JBhWN5vg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Will post a few pics of the CBX500 when I did the Mai Hung Son loop up and around Chiang Mai to Pai and back around and up and down the tallest mountain in Thailand. Yeah on those provincial roads in the boonies I though I was going to die a couple times after coming around a corner and theres a huge truck doing 100+ kph in the middle of the road and he jerks the wheel at like the last second. You learn safe road position pretty fast, or else you die I guess.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 19, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That road looks amazing

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Riding a scooter around SEA is one of the best things in life. It's dangerous for drunk tourists who've never ridden before, someone who bikes at home will be fine

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

I moved a month or so ago. I live in an area like this, and my house is similar to the one depicted below in the centre of the picture, via Google Maps:

Part of me would love to live in a place like this, but I just moved to a denser area, and I don't know if I could give some of the amenities up. If I touch my phone in the right places, I can get almost any food I want delivered to my house in less than an hour. There's a gourmet mac and cheese place in this town for gods sake.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It looks like if Sir Mix-A-Lot had a side gig designing bikes for Suzuki in the late 90s/early 00s.

BABY GOT BRAPP

Also because pics thread, my garage isn't big enough for everything (I'm going to build a detached one), so for now my bikes are living in my 3 season room:

The Ducati and Harley are in the garage while the Hellcat is having its everything replaced.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Turns out I've still got photos on a google photos account from the Tokyo motor show I went to where that Sakura debuted.

Also bonus content of the CBR1100

And a sportily-dressed MT01

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Nice Buell

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I still think it's a huge mistake for Honda to have never taken that CB1100R to production. If it rode even moderately well it would've been a license to print money

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That Sakura is so gorgeous.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Turns out I've still got photos on a google photos account from the Tokyo motor show I went to where that Sakura debuted.

Also bonus content of the CBR1100

That does it for me.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

All the little details on the sakura are :wow:

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 25, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it really is like top three most beautiful motorcycles ever

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

dema posted:

That does it for me.

I don't find many road bikes very appealing but this is stunning.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hi yes we would like the exhaust and chain guard to look like how you think fallen leaves fly around behind the bike as you pass

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I wonder what motor that motor is based on? Most of yamaha's v-twins are not admirable designs

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

dema posted:

That does it for me.

It's my favorite Honda showbike because it doesn't showcase crazy tech we will never see, it could easily be built exactly as shown.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I wonder what motor that motor is based on? Most of yamaha's v-twins are not admirable designs

1000cc 60 degree vtwin matches their 950cc cruisers like the Vstar and Bolt, probably an early version of that. The lower case shapes kinda line up.

quote:

which produces approximately 50 horsepower

hold on to your butts

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

1000cc 60 degree vtwin matches their 950cc cruisers like the Vstar and Bolt, probably an early version of that. The lower case shapes kinda line up.

1000cc 60 degree v twin you say? BRB, heading for Japan with a gun, this picture, and the phone number for Rotax.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gorson posted:

It's my favorite Honda showbike because it doesn't showcase crazy tech we will never see, it could easily be built exactly as shown.

hold on to your butts

Hold on to your butts in ultimate style

The other day I learned that yamaha had a 200hp Vtwin4 up until 2020 (in the Max).

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 26, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Hold on to your butts in ultimate style

The other day I learned that yamaha had a 200hp Vtwin up until 2020 (in the Max).

Nope.

Was a v4.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They don’t make the vmax anymore?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That show bike looks air cooled so presumably couldn't actually go into production as a new model?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

That show bike looks air cooled so presumably couldn't actually go into production as a new model?

It was 2007, so it could have then.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

It's not *impossible* to make an air-cooled engine that meets emissions regulations, it's just incredibly hard. The problem isn't the temperature itself, but the consistency of it - you have to run the mixture rich enough for the hottest spot in the engine to avoid pre-ignition or detonation, which means you're left with a shitload of unburnt/inconsistently burnt fuel in the rest of the cylinder, which obviously wastes fuel and power as well as producing extravagant amounts of pollution, and then that becomes a feedback loop because the cold bits of the engine are getting cooled by the unburnt fuel while the hot bits are getting heated by the burning fuel.

With careful engineering you *can* eliminate those hot and cold spots at least on the bench but you're left with an engine that's at such a low state of tune even Harley wouldn't use it, and which drinks fuel like a Jumbo Jet (with a catalytic converter the size of a Jumbo Jet), and of course it all goes to poo poo as soon as you actually take it out onto the road with it's inconveniently inconsistent levels of load, ambient temperature, and airflow.

At that point it's definitely a lot less work to just come up with a water-cooling system that doesn't look like one - I've seen a couple of concepts of wrap-around radiators that go around the cylinders and look like air-cooling systems but they've not made it to production yet as far as I know - I assume Harley are putting at least some of their t-shirt sales revenue into making it work though. Also RIP Slavvy and all other mechanics if that sort of fun and games ever does make it to production.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harley have accepted that liquid cooling is inevitable, the Milwaukee engine is the last to come with air cooling and they're already cheating by having oil cooled, and sometimes even liquid cooled, heads.

The worst offenders for making a byzantine cooling system to try to make the bike look air cooled are metric cruisers btw. They are all horrible, not exceptions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

to be very clear, though, harley-davidson is using liquid cooling. they don't use the W-word like some goddamned jap crap rice burner

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Part of the appeal of the Indians to me is how good those liquid cooled v blocks look.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
It's winter but I still wanted to ride.

Finished replacing the hosed up wheel on a friends 81 C70 so we went for a ride.

Still need to get the leg guards onto the C70 but it did pretty well in the cold and wet considering it has tiny street tires. Meanwhile the trail 90 in low range will go places that would be hard to walk through.

https://imgur.com/Dh9AMg9

https://imgur.com/4s03oJ7

https://imgur.com/2HwGUNq

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Owns owns owns owns

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Not sure if it already got posted in any of the threads but Revzilla’s YouTube channel took a Trail 90 (and a Trail 125) up the Dalton Hwy to Prudhoe Bay and beyond.

https://youtu.be/Geb_QFxp_hs

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

That Sakura might just be the most beautiful piece of machinery I've ever seen. I would like one very much.

That CBR isn't bad either

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Ulf posted:

Not sure if it already got posted in any of the threads but Revzilla’s YouTube channel took a Trail 90 (and a Trail 125) up the Dalton Hwy to Prudhoe Bay and beyond.

https://youtu.be/Geb_QFxp_hs

Ari quietly overhauled it and posted the video today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_at02IT9Jw

The engineers put way more thought into these little engines than most small bikes get.