Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

MorningMoon posted:

Robotics Club may or may not be fun for you, but it is the longest by far. Focus on speed, only stat that matters.
Esports club strategy Just pick Vanessa and spam her kick lol ______________________________ _____________ ______________________ ________________ _________________________ _______________________ ________________ ________________________________________ ___________________________________________________ ________________________________ ____________________ __________ _________________ ___________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________ ____________________________________ ____ _______________ __________________________ ______________ __________________ _______________________

Lol owned all the kids in the esports, they suck at vf. even the last one. Sarah bryant for life. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
There's nothing wrong with actually engaging with Virtua Fighter if you like Virtua Fighter, since Yakuza games are the main way to experience Virtua Fighter these days.

There's also nothing wrong with "haha Vanessa go whrrrrrrr"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Last Celebration posted:

Locker keys are locked into the inventory of whoever picks them up until the end of the game when everyone joins up. I forget which but it’s generally recommended to save a certain one for Saejima (the next PC) because his training needs a block of sacred wood which means doing baseball (not that bad imo but a lot of people disagree) or using that key to get it.

Baseball's not so difficult if you look up a guide - the pitches always go to the same sectors every time, so you can just have your phone on your knee to tell you where the next one is going to land. It effectively just becomes a case of pressing the button at the right time at that point.

It doesn't make it good and it kinda surprises me that they're still using the same baseball game after all this time (especially when they had Shinada have a better baseball game in his segment of Yakuza 5), but it means you can get what you want out of it without being superhuman or spending an inordinate amount of time learning the pitches from scratch.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I get Street Bosses to become recruits? The two I beat up before I unlocked Construction both returned, but no-one I've beaten since then has. I've tried travelling to Sotenbori and back, and opening the clan creator roster.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Is the Xbox Series controller borked in all gamepass Yakuza versions? I'm about to move on to Kiwami 2 but would love to use my wireless controller as such, for once works fine on Kiwami 2, hooray

Ignis fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 23, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

The Lone Badger posted:

How do I get Street Bosses to become recruits? The two I beat up before I unlocked Construction both returned, but no-one I've beaten since then has. I've tried travelling to Sotenbori and back, and opening the clan creator roster.

Not all of them are recruits. Youll get ones for doing substories and poo poo

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

There's nothing wrong with actually engaging with Virtua Fighter if you like Virtua Fighter, since Yakuza games are the main way to experience Virtua Fighter these days.

There's also nothing wrong with "haha Vanessa go whrrrrrrr"

There when youre playing vf5fs and get matched with a vanessa abuser :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Had to take a little break when my computer burned out, but back into Yakuza 5 and I think it's only really just starting to hit me just how loving HUGE this game is, haha. Even though people have been saying it for years, it's still crazy how much there is. I'm right near what I assume is the end of the Saejima/Haruka section and I'm assuming that there will be one more character/city to explore complete with their own substories, activities etc to do before the finale section which I figure will have a bunch of extra available content too.

This is the opposite of a complaint, I loving love this :stare:

Also we discussed Park a little earlier and I'm sure there are still more revelations to come, but at the moment after all her big talk to Kiryu and her emotional blackmail of Haruka she was bankrolling everything through Akiyama who would probably happily finance Morning Glory forever if he had even an inkling of any potential financial issues? :laugh:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Part 4 probably has the “least” to do but it’s easily my most favorite part of Yakuza 5 narratively. Even if the main characters sucks as much gameplay-wise as he rules as a character.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

drat, Dragon Engine is no joke. My 5600 XT cruised 0 and Kiwami on Ultra 1080p no prob, but I'm dropping frames all over Kamurocho on Kiwami 2. I guess my card's VRAM is a few gigs short. Can't tell for sure if it's that or if the game's not that well optimized on PC.

How essential is the performance fan patch for playing Kiwami 2, anyways? Haven't done any minigames stuff yet. Can I make do with just tweaking graphic settings?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

JoJo Ga Gotoku come on

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Neo Rasa posted:

JoJo Ga Gotoku come on

from what I hear of JJBA part 4 every single person in Morioh-cho is a character right out of an RGG substory

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Straight up, Diamond is Unbreakable would make for an incredible video game in the RGG framework.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd really like them to take another stab at Fist of the North Star. An all-original story that doesn't have to play lip service to the original series.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ignis posted:

drat, Dragon Engine is no joke. My 5600 XT cruised 0 and Kiwami on Ultra 1080p no prob, but I'm dropping frames all over Kamurocho on Kiwami 2. I guess my card's VRAM is a few gigs short. Can't tell for sure if it's that or if the game's not that well optimized on PC.

How essential is the performance fan patch for playing Kiwami 2, anyways? Haven't done any minigames stuff yet. Can I make do with just tweaking graphic settings?
I played through Kiwami 2 completely unaware there was even a fan patch. I did turn down some stuff to get a steady framerate though.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

ChaosArgate posted:

Straight up, Diamond is Unbreakable would make for an incredible video game in the RGG framework.

Tenseki Ga Gotoku

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh also I've been playing Lost Judgment on the English dub.

This thread will never stop my crimes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
This is the Yakuza thread, going to jail just means you’re like Kiryu/Ichiban. And Saejima. And I assume Kaito did a few days at some point for going Kiryu on some poor saps…

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I played Like a Dragon dubbed.

No regrets. :colbert:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a love for prison matched only by saejima

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Dubs are a lot like burned tripe, you see, because

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love that our first introduction to Akiyama in 4 is of seemingly a lazy, unmotivated dude in a lovely job he doesn't really seem to want to do and then you find out he's actually super-rich but incredibly laidback and deeply, deeply motivated to the spirit and morals behind the creation of Sky Finance thanks to his own experience being homeless.

This contrasts beautifully with Shinada's introduction in 5 of a clean-cut, hyper-disciplined sports star which immediately jumps forward several years to reveal a burned out writer for a smutty magazine who just wants to sleep all day and is up to his neck in debt and who keeps getting immediately hosed out of whatever little money he can earn. Maybe it'll all fall apart later in his side of the story, but so far every playable character/new city in 5 has been wonderful and it really seems like they learned valuable lessons from their experimentation in 4.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
After playing variations of Cool Dude and also Haruka, playing a total loving loser is actually a breath of fresh air. Also Takasuji is one of my favorite Yakuza side characters ever.

also I really like that his fighting style is basically "someone who doesn't actually know how to fight properly"

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 27, 2021

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really liked Shinada as a dude but I'm not too torn up that he never came back (so far). I hated his charging move gimmick though, because the instant he clipped with any kind of geometry it came to a screeching halt. The idea of a weapon oriented character isnt bad (see Kenzan, Ishin) but I didnt like how they handled him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I love that our first introduction to Akiyama in 4 is of seemingly a lazy, unmotivated dude in a lovely job he doesn't really seem to want to do and then you find out he's actually super-rich but incredibly laidback and deeply, deeply motivated to the spirit and morals behind the creation of Sky Finance thanks to his own experience being homeless.

This contrasts beautifully with Shinada's introduction in 5 of a clean-cut, hyper-disciplined sports star which immediately jumps forward several years to reveal a burned out writer for a smutty magazine who just wants to sleep all day and is up to his neck in debt and who keeps getting immediately hosed out of whatever little money he can earn. Maybe it'll all fall apart later in his side of the story, but so far every playable character/new city in 5 has been wonderful and it really seems like they learned valuable lessons from their experimentation in 4.

spoiler alert, shinada is the best character in Y5 and a top-three contender for best Yakuza protagonist period (excluding kiryu and ichiban I guess)

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Policenaut posted:

I really liked Shinada as a dude but I'm not too torn up that he never came back (so far).

It is a loving travesty that in 6 Kiryu puts together an amateur baseball team and never once even thinks about Shinada.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 27, 2021

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I don't like how the multiple-protagonist structure of 4 requires inventories to not carry over from character to character until apparently the very end. The game gave me the key radar early, so I naturally hoovered up as many as I could as Akiyama without thinking about it, and now that I'm the second character all those items are sealed away. It's really my fault for playing that way and the game is obviously better for its story structure than it would be catering to item hoarders, but it's a bit of a bummer that it has to be this way.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A character like Shinada would have fit right in with Ichiban's ragtag gang of misfits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also Takasuji is one of my favorite Yakuza side characters ever.

He's so pleasant and accommodating and friendly while cheerfully explaining how they can crush several of Shinada's fingers in order to commit insurance fraud to pay off his debt! Loved when you hear him calling out a muffled,"Take the job!" when Shinada gets offered the investigation job in Shinada's first chapter too :allears:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 27, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ZiegeDame posted:

It is a loving travesty that in 6 Kiryu puts together an amateur baseball team and never once even thinks about Shinada.

i googled this out of curiosity and shinada's like two hours away from hiroshima, tops. crazy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Maybe he moved to America to gently caress kiryu’s girlfriend

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It is very funny that you think they're shelving Sayama fo maybe use later in Y3 but then if you actually start completing the hostess clubs/etc you start getting updates about how she's dating her American partner. Probably something most people never see because the hostess content in Y3 is dire.

Like, the scene at the beginning is basically a joke even in the context of just Y3, but I can't tell if it's intentional or not.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ve played all the mainline games to completion in some form (so, Kiwami 1/2 instead of Y1/2 PS2) but I really have to wonder if anything in the first two base games was as dire as 3’s hostess maker, because nothing comes to mind besides maybe catfights and at least they repurposed that for Mesuking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A good poster posted:

I don't like how the multiple-protagonist structure of 4 requires inventories to not carry over from character to character until apparently the very end. The game gave me the key radar early, so I naturally hoovered up as many as I could as Akiyama without thinking about it, and now that I'm the second character all those items are sealed away. It's really my fault for playing that way and the game is obviously better for its story structure than it would be catering to item hoarders, but it's a bit of a bummer that it has to be this way.

I mean, the obvious solution that they could've done is that only certain characters can find certain keys. It'd make clean up in the endgame a tiny bit more of a pain but you have to switch between all 4 anyway if you're doing their side content.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

spoiler alert, shinada is the best character in Y5 and a top-three contender for best Yakuza protagonist period (excluding kiryu and ichiban I guess)

no he aint lol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

kiryu did nothing wrong.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

A character like Shinada would have fit right in with Ichiban's ragtag gang of misfits.

Takasugi? now theres a character worthy of being in more games. :colbert:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 28, 2021

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Is there a consensus that Yakuza 3 is just awful or something? Should I just skip and go straight to 4?

I just finished Kiwami 2 and went to 3 and so far that seems pretty accurate.

I’ve been on a journey to complete all the mainline games but if this or others are middling/bad I’d consider just skipping to LAD.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 28, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yakuza 3 suffers from them not quite figuring out how to get combat to work in the PS3 Yakuza engine yet. I love a lot about it, especially the setting but it's probably the least essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

dreffen posted:

Is there a consensus that Yakuza 3 is just awful or something? Should I just skip and go straight to 4?

I just finished Kiwami 2 and went to 3 and so far that seems pretty accurate.

I’ve been on a journey to complete all the mainline games but if this or others are middling/bad I’d consider just skipping to LAD.

No, it's just that Yakuza 3 is pretty dated and coming from a recent remake of 2 to an old game given an HD uplift like 3 is jarring. Yakuza 4 is less clunky to play, thankfully and 5 basically feels like 0 except missing different combat styles.