Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

This is where I kind of dropped off Halo a lot. We didn't get a 360 until about 2012, by which point I was PC gaming, so I just played it once (until it came out on PC), and then never had the nostalgia to get so deep into it later on. I'm looking forward to learning more about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I got a chuckle at the Grunt being launched over the Pelican after it bombarded the dam.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Loxbourne posted:

Not only can you save that dude but he has unique dialogue for the rest of the mission too.

Yeah, but I don't think any of it is particularly interesting.

AradoBalanga posted:

I got a chuckle at the Grunt being launched over the Pelican after it bombarded the dam.

I didn't notice that until I was editing, but I really wish I could have followed his whole flight.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I didn't notice that until I was editing, but I really wish I could have followed his whole flight.

It might still be in your theater cache.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wow, the Brutes are so ugly in this one. Never noticed it before, but coming so soon off watching the remastered Halo 2, drat they ugly.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Really the whole of 3 is... kind of crusty?

Like, maybe it was always like this, but back in the day we didn't run it in 4k? I dunno.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

It might still be in your theater cache.

Nah, I do way too many practice runs or posing for thumbnails. It's long gone unfortunately.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wow, the Brutes are so ugly in this one. Never noticed it before, but coming so soon off watching the remastered Halo 2, drat they ugly.

Yeah I liked the hairy Brutes from Halo 2. It made them way more obvious as wolf/gorilla hybrids basically. Considering the focus on the lighting engine in Halo 3, I wonder if having hair caused them problems. Because as I'm thinking about it I can only think of one character in the whole game that actually has any hair.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If nothing else I would have noticed that distinct lack of shiny in the cutscenes. I guess its easy to look at a 360 game compared to an Xbox game and not see as much need to upgrade the former but compared to the sheer amount of improvement put into Halo 2 its kind of an odd decision.

I guess if the Arbiter is the player co-op character he's always going to be around? And you won't ever play as him I guess.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The first thing I noticed is that all our marines at the start had guns. Would have been fun if the one Johnson robbed for chief started off unarmed for the movement tutorial and had picked up a covenant gun when you link back up with johnson.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Kibayasu posted:

I guess if the Arbiter is the player co-op character he's always going to be around? And you won't ever play as him I guess.

The Arbiter pretty much drops out of the plot in 3, beyond a few lines in cutscenes and the ending. There was a notable backlash against him after Halo 2, enough that it was a distinct "flavour" among the general unrest. Having him as the co-op character is a decentish way of keeping him in the storyline while making sure that players aren't forced to play as him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait really? I thought he was fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Arbiter is one of Halo’s best characters. Shame reception was meh back then.

Coop in 3 is by far my favorite because it’s 4p and everyone plays a distinct character.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Loxbourne posted:

The Arbiter pretty much drops out of the plot in 3, beyond a few lines in cutscenes and the ending.

I wouldn't say he drops out of the plot exactly. But he is definitely relegated to a secondary character in this one, more like Sgt Johnson.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Loxbourne posted:

The Arbiter pretty much drops out of the plot in 3, beyond a few lines in cutscenes and the ending. There was a notable backlash against him after Halo 2, enough that it was a distinct "flavour" among the general unrest. Having him as the co-op character is a decentish way of keeping him in the storyline while making sure that players aren't forced to play as him.

That sounds exactly like what happened with Raiden in MGS2, complete with a belated warm reception by the fans after years of making GBS threads on him.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Some people want to play as Master Chief: The only living Spartan (as far as we know at this point). If there are two Spartans in H1, well there were 2 pods there, so OK but only John is going to be in cutscenes or talk or be addressed in any way.

In 2 it makes less sense because the end of 1 shows the only survivor of the entire fiasco is John, so then where does Spartan 2 come from? Plus switching to the arbiter and doubling them is also weird from a canon/continuity perspective.

Though I think now in 3, arbiter and friends do not have the active camo option.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've never played any of these games but I'm genuinely disappointed that it sounds like Halo 3 doesn't take a sharp left turn into becoming a buddy cop story.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crazy Achmed posted:

I've never played any of these games but I'm genuinely disappointed that it sounds like Halo 3 doesn't take a sharp left turn into becoming a buddy cop story.

There are a couple notes of that but not a whole lot more

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

02 - Crow's Nest

With the return of the Chief, the Covenant goes hard on the offensive.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
That flipping 'to war' line is like something from that Punisher 2099 comic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In the books, most of the Covenant races gladly eat not only humans, but each other as well. A common form of execution among the Covenant is noted in one book to be binding the arms and legs of a prisoner, and tossing them into a prison cell with the expectation that the prisoners - kept starving - will rip the victim apart and eat them. The Brutes are supposedly especially fond of this.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cythereal posted:

In the books, most of the Covenant races gladly eat not only humans, but each other as well. A common form of execution among the Covenant is noted in one book to be binding the arms and legs of a prisoner, and tossing them into a prison cell with the expectation that the prisoners - kept starving - will rip the victim apart and eat them. The Brutes are supposedly especially fond of this.

The brutes threaten the about-to-become-Arbiter with this in Halo 2 even.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Lord isn't a UNSC title, Fleet Admiral Lord Terrence Hood is an actual British nobleman.

e: Oh thank gently caress I'm not the only one who gets that rear end in a top hat stuck on the ATC. gently caress that guy.

Ablative fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 3, 2021

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I do not like the recasting of Truth. Yes, the late Terence Stamp is a good actor/voice actor, but Michael Wincott's smooth performance in Halo 2 was such a masterpiece, that for Halo 3 to effectively devolve Truth into "generic loud arrogant evil dude" is a major misstep. I understand that stuff like scheduling and all that probably factored into the recasting, but there's an equal amount of blame to be laid at Bungie's feet for the voice direction/script turning a very suave villain into a paint-by-numbers generic villain. Just...why? You had a solid foundation for Truth's character. You didn't need to change it, Bungie.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

In several attempts I don't think I've ever made it past level 2 of Halo 3's campaign, certainly not level 3, so everything after this is new to me. Which is weird to say, given how much time I've spent in the multiplayer.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/ChrisDAnimation/status/1466799389230387213

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
You'd think the people doing the Halo 2 Anniversary Edition would have made Halo 2 Anniversary Miranda Keyes look like identifiably the same person as Halo 3 Miranda Keyes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Out of curisoty, do the CoMo's ®™ work in co-op because it seems the Arbiter convenient disappears from single player whenever one is going to happen.

malkav11 posted:

You'd think the people doing the Halo 2 Anniversary Edition would have made Halo 2 Anniversary Miranda Keyes look like identifiably the same person as Halo 3 Miranda Keyes.

From what gets implied it seems the plan was to make a remade (ish) Halo 3 version look like the remade Halo 2 version but the remade Halo 3 just became Halo 3 but can play it again at some point.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Out of curisoty, do the CoMo's ®™ work in co-op because it seems the Arbiter convenient disappears from single player whenever one is going to happen.

They do, yes. The co-op players get them just the same as player 1. Arbiter probably goes away for the same reason Half-Jaw did in 2: he's invincible, so he'd make things too easy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I don't think I have played Halo 3 in co-op, how do they handle the sections of the game where the Arbiter is separated from Chief? Does player 2 play through some different sections or does the story change slightly to accommodate it?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

Lord isn't a UNSC title, Fleet Admiral Lord Terrence Hood is an actual British nobleman.

Well I guess that's fair, but then I still think it's weird that they don't call him Admiral Hood.

AradoBalanga posted:

I do not like the recasting of Truth. Yes, the late Terence Stamp is a good actor/voice actor, but Michael Wincott's smooth performance in Halo 2 was such a masterpiece, that for Halo 3 to effectively devolve Truth into "generic loud arrogant evil dude" is a major misstep. I understand that stuff like scheduling and all that probably factored into the recasting, but there's an equal amount of blame to be laid at Bungie's feet for the voice direction/script turning a very suave villain into a paint-by-numbers generic villain. Just...why? You had a solid foundation for Truth's character. You didn't need to change it, Bungie.

Yeah I agree with all this. I actually really like his monologue at the start of this video (and one he gives much later) but he really comes across as more of a rule-through-fear dictator rather than a savvy manipulator.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't think I have played Halo 3 in co-op, how do they handle the sections of the game where the Arbiter is separated from Chief? Does player 2 play through some different sections or does the story change slightly to accommodate it?

Mostly just dialogue changes. So at the start of this level Johnson's lines would be "Chief, you and the Arbiter..." and then "I'll stay here." And also there just wouldn't be the scene with the Arbiter yelling at the Drones.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

To me this is interesting because I've only played Halo 3 in co-op.

In which case the Arbiter doesn't get as much dialogue in levels and is the Chief's buddy following him around.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i always try to stick the drone swarm with a grenade when they fly by (the one that's fleeing after you've armed the bomb). great way to get some easy points in arcade mode, too :buddy:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I never knew the Halo Extended Lore when I played Halo 3 back in the day (well, okay, watched a friend play it because I didn't have a 360) before this LP filled me in on it, but now knowing the history of the SPARTAN program I find Cortana/Halsey's line at the beginning about Master Chief being lucky funny because (hot take incoming :v:) imo being kidnapped, horribly experimented on, and forced into military service on borderline suicide missions would be the definition of unlucky. I mean I guess he's still alive so silver linings I guess? :confuoot:

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 7, 2021

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

03 - Tsavo Highway

Time to return the favor, as the Chief takes a road trip to bring the fight to the Covenant.

TwoPair posted:

I never knew the Halo Extended Lore when I played Halo 3 back in the day (well, okay, watched a friend play it because I didn't have a 360) before this LP filled me in on it, but now knowing the history of the SPARTAN program I find Cortana/Halsey's line at the beginning about Master Chief being lucky funny because (hot take incoming :v:) imo being kidnapped, horribly experimented on, and forced into military service on borderline suicide missions would be the definition of unlucky. I mean I guess he's still alive so silver linings I guess? :confuoot:

It's a little weirder than that. They aren't saying that he has been lucky, they are saying that he has an intrinsic quality of being lucky. Which is so wildly unscientific compared to how coldly logical the rest of the decisions around the Spartans had been.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
My friends and I always referred to the turret-less warthog as "the van" so I really appreciated the soccer mom jokes.

It's a shame that thing wasn't available in multiplayer though (at least, as far as I can remember it wasn't).

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

PizzaProwler posted:

It's a shame that thing wasn't available in multiplayer though (at least, as far as I can remember it wasn't).

Players are specifically disallowed from riding in the back anyway.

They did add it to Reach multiplayer when they brought Forge over to MCC on PC, though. You still can't ride in the back.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The chopper is my personal favorite vehicle in the series to drive. It has a very unique feel as far as video game vehicles go, and its guns are surprisingly accurate at long range letting you snipe with it.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

I know you probably didn't do it because you needed actual content, but god this level is just so much easier if you just say "gently caress it" and never stop for anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Love that the Covenant's big idea for excavating the Ark is firing their main weapons at the ground.

Sure hope the Forerunner supertech doesn't suddenly activate and decide to fry everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Love that the Covenant's big idea for excavating the Ark is firing their main weapons at the ground.

Sure hope the Forerunner supertech doesn't suddenly activate and decide to fry everyone!

The Covenant just have a weird idea about digging and excavation given that one of the intended roles of the scarab is as a mining platform.

Apparently plasma streams are just really good at that.