Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, he did write words to that effect. As Sigisimund's dying words, as he came the closest anyone ever has to killing off Abaddon.

I liked how legitimately pleased Abaddon was at seeing Sigisimund, like "oh man I haven't seen you in AGES, how you been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

hopterque posted:

oh poo poo, like a full novel?

Yes, at least digitally

https://www.amazon.com/Urdesh-Magister-Martyr-Warhammer-000-ebook/dp/B09KVF2PLJ

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The first one of those was terrific, all-in for the Saint !

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

von Metternich posted:

The Black Legion series is so good. I picked up the first one thinking it was going to be a trilogy, but A) There are 13 black crusades and B) the end of book two is the BEGINNING OF THE FIRST ONE. Plus the question of what Iskander is actually doing on Terra.

I also enjoyed the bits about “Wait, I’m the Arch-Slaughterer of where? I’ve never even heard of that planet.”

I'm pretty sure ADB said that it's a trilogy, though I'd happily read as many more as he wants to write

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

mllaneza posted:

The first one of those was terrific, all-in for the Saint !

That guy can really write Space Marine action.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Miguel Prado posted:

New Iron Snakes book out tomorrow

Literally as I was reading this post my Kindle notification told me it just downloaded. Looks like Amazon released it a bit early and now I have something to read on the couch so I don't have to interact with my in laws today.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Literally as I was reading this post my Kindle notification told me it just downloaded. Looks like Amazon released it a bit early and now I have something to read on the couch so I don't have to interact with my in laws today.

You and me both buddy, also bought Gobbo. Nice little palate cleanser between Urdesh 2 and The Accursed.

I can recommend the accursed by the way, it’s like 8ish short stories, all horror themed. One of them is by Peter Fehervari

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Miguel Prado posted:

New Iron Snakes book out tomorrow

Oh poo poo i just reread the first one a week back. Nice

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I watched Angels of Death and found it super disappointing compared to something like Astartes. The animation quality and directing isn't up to scratch for me. I find it very clichéd and immersion breaking just how bad the space marines are at being soldiers. They walk slowly around the place blundering into ambushes. Enemies appear and they stand there being dramatically surprised for a moment, and then start shooting, which isn't seen to be that effective. Every element of their planning and tactics is shown to be deficient, they don't seem scary as they only triumph by their enemies somehow failing to kill them despite having every advantage. Ruins it for me.

Yeah, it's been incredibly disappointing compared to the quality of Astartes, which just absolutely nailed its depiction of Space Marines. They come off as bumbling doofs, rather than some of the finest killing machines the universe has ever seen. Lucky for them, Lasguns have no AP, so they can just nail 100s of 3+ saves in a row.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Just finished Grumpy Old Necrons - I mean, The Infinite and the Divine. What an utter delight. Several honest to goodness laugh out loud moments. Oh the things I would do for an audio book read by Walter Mathieu and Jack Lemmon

Now on to The Twice Dead King

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
Hard to believe the characters in those two books are from the same species, sometimes. Will be curious what you think when you're done.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

The angst in Twice Dead King is palpable, non existent in Infinite and Divine. Both are real good

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Twice Dead King has a line early on where it's suggested the best counter to the angst is to be a turbonerd. The two old men in I&D are the prototypical turbonerds. It's consistent and I don't even know if anyone meant it to be.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Even Trazyn mentions in IAD that grand works are essential to staying sane.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Getting a new obsession every few years centuries so you can ignore the existential dread? Couldn't relate

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Preorder for the Mars set is up

US link: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/forges-of-mars-box-set-collection-hb-eng-2021

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Pricier than I was expecting but I couldn't resist it

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's the same price as the Night Lords set released last year and it looks like the same sort of bundle, it's been just long enough to forget the price of that lol

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I grabbed that recent Horus Heresy Audiobook bundle and I'm noticing that when I open the folder (unzipped) with the individual audio files windows explorer takes a long time to open it. I can open up the zipped folders much faster. I thought it must be a metadata thing where Windows is trying to populate a bunch of information but other folders with way more mp3s with separate individual metadata don't have the long loadtime. Any ideas?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Deptfordx posted:

That guy can really write Space Marine action.

And the Legio Invicta stuff is also really good. Big thumbs up for the Urdesh series.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Which book is the first of that series?

Urdesh that is

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Jolo posted:

I grabbed that recent Horus Heresy Audiobook bundle and I'm noticing that when I open the folder (unzipped) with the individual audio files windows explorer takes a long time to open it. I can open up the zipped folders much faster. I thought it must be a metadata thing where Windows is trying to populate a bunch of information but other folders with way more mp3s with separate individual metadata don't have the long loadtime. Any ideas?

Have you tried reciting the Hymn of Data Transference?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Biplane posted:

Have you tried reciting the Hymn of Data Transference?

The Omnissiah only sees *.arj

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm going to command my servitor to rezip these and NO we do not wish to register WinRAR! Ugh, Omnissiah guide my hand.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Twirling the mouse with the loading spinner to speed it along.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Which book is the first of that series?

Urdesh that is

Urdesh: The Serpent and the Saint is the first one.

Urdesh: The Magister and The Martyr is the just released, technically sequel, but it's clearly a continuing story in 2 parts.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

Urdesh: The Serpent and the Saint is the first one.

Urdesh: The Magister and The Martyr is the just released, technically sequel, but it's clearly a continuing story in 2 parts.

Thanks

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Jolo posted:

Try the rite of percussive maintenance

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I bought the new horror anthology but I didn’t realize the Fehervari story was a reprint :(

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

von Metternich posted:

I bought the new horror anthology but I didn’t realize the Fehervari story was a reprint :(

You sure about that?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Miguel Prado posted:

You sure about that?

Nightbleed was previously available on its own, if that's the story

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nightbleed was previously available on its own, if that's the story

Yes, that’s the one I meant, I think it came out for Halloween last year

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Fehervari has talked before about how he doesn't make much money from his books. He's basically doing it as a side thing. Kinda different to the "main" 40k writers.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Fehervari has talked before about how he doesn't make much money from his books. He's basically doing it as a side thing. Kinda different to the "main" 40k writers.

The main 40k writers aren't making much from their books. Abnett does a TON of stuff outside Warhammer and he is probably the best paid if I had to guess.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Annetts biggest success I think would be his Guardians of the Galaxy run which ended up with a movie credit for the marvel movie

Edit

He also wrote Alien : Isolation ?? My man is prolific

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dude has written Mr. Men books. If you let him he'll write it for you.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

D-Pad posted:

The main 40k writers aren't making much from their books. Abnett does a TON of stuff outside Warhammer and he is probably the best paid if I had to guess.

Authors tend to be pretty poorly paid on the whole expect for those couple lucky ones that hit it really big consistently

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder if Riot pays Graham McNeill more or worse than GW since he's done a fair bit of writing for them since like 2015.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He moved over there so I suspect they pay him quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I didn't know that McNeil is at Riot; he's too good for them, lol