Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmegin posted:

There was HMS Invincible, turns out she wasn't - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_(1907)

As for Dreadnought, eh, she wasn't quite as out of the blue as people make out - other people, the Yanks for one, had sussed the concept of all-big-gun turbine battleship, it's just that as world Top Dog naval builders at the time we got ours out first. It's more a matter of the tech advancing to the stage where it was the obvious thing to do than some lone genius having a lightbulb moment.

That happens a lot with technology. Funny thing is that the Nintendo Switch is my go-to example of a kind of thing that game companies had been trying to make since the early 90s and it only really became viable recently for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Our landlord thinks our heating should be turned off overnight (he has remote control over it - but we can override it, which he doesn't like - and it's his first winter as a landlord).

It's currently -1 at night here.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

Our landlord thinks our heating should be turned off overnight (he has remote control over it - but we can override it, which he doesn't like - and it's his first winter as a landlord).

...is he paying the heating bills at least?!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

There was HMS Invincible, turns out she wasn't - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invincible_(1907)

As for Dreadnought, eh, she wasn't quite as out of the blue as people make out - other people, the Yanks for one, had sussed the concept of all-big-gun turbine battleship, it's just that as world Top Dog naval builders at the time we got ours out first. It's more a matter of the tech advancing to the stage where it was the obvious thing to do than some lone genius having a lightbulb moment.

Parsons doing a pitch invasion of the Spithead Review with Turbinia remains one of the biggest "Alright cunts?" moments in history though, and Dreadnought definitely wouldn't have been built if he'd carried on just sending letters to the Admiralty telling them about how he'd put a windmill in a kettle and their engines were poo poo in comparison.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

That's obviously insane, but the fact that you'd even need heating on overnight implies the place has absolutely zero insulation - my 1940s hovel doesn't need any heating between 10pm and 8am even when it's below zero outside, and it stays about a comfy 16C, perfect for sleeping. Maybe drops a little lower by morning time but not much

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1464288561642024969

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Private Speech posted:

Are you an indentured servant? Why has your landlord got control over your heating?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Flayer posted:

Are you an indentured servant? Why has your landlord got control over your heating?

Not a UK resident I take it?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Dreadnought has some quite bad design choices and was already way outclassed by WW1, first is not always best. :shrug:
Should have waited for Dreadone.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is it some sort of HMO pay 450 pcm and all bills / c. tax is inclusive?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's obviously insane, but the fact that you'd even need heating on overnight implies the place has absolutely zero insulation - my 1940s hovel doesn't need any heating between 10pm and 8am even when it's below zero outside, and it stays about a comfy 16C, perfect for sleeping. Maybe drops a little lower by morning time but not much

I have a 10 year old flat with more insulation than any other construction material but I have to run the heating overnight to prevent the mass of glass from generating 69420 litres of condensation because its basically airtight.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Is heating included in your rent? If not I don’t see why it’s any of the landlords business.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

If so, I also don't see why it's any of his business

If he didn't want to pay your heating bills he shouldn't have contracted to pay your heating bills

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

I have a 10 year old flat with more insulation than any other construction material but I have to run the heating overnight to prevent the mass of glass from generating 69420 litres of condensation because its basically airtight.

Gross, you should have open trickle vents, or MHRV, or else crack a window. That amount of humidity will give you black mould and the CO2 levels are probably not great for your overall sleep quality and brain health

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

There aren't any windows, every room on the exterior wall just has floor to ceiling glass in aluminium frames with a door in the middle. Trickle vents are always open but opening the entire door isn't really viable because A.) 24hr off license downstairs with all the shouty people that attracts at 3am, and B.) it's cold out and we have babby.

We don't have any mould though strangely enough. I bought a big honeywell dehumidifier to run when we're drying clothes etc and it seems to do a pretty good job. But these flats are basically hermetically sealed. No airflow for you!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kecske posted:

There aren't any windows, every room on the exterior wall just has floor to ceiling glass in aluminium frames with a door in the middle. Trickle vents are always open but opening the entire door isn't really viable because A.) 24hr off license downstairs with all the shouty people that attracts at 3am, and B.) it's cold out and we have babby.

We don't have any mould though strangely enough. I bought a big honeywell dehumidifier to run when we're drying clothes etc and it seems to do a pretty good job. But these flats are basically hermetically sealed. No airflow for you!

Sounds like you're doing the best you can, but the ventilation is way under-specced for what it needs to do. Hopefully the trickling is at least keeping the CO2 levels down, though personally I would monitor. Ah well, wishing you a mould-free future

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
British habitation not fit for purpose? That doesn't sound right.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

kecske posted:

that's actually gonna make it worse, by heating the air a bunch you significantly increase the amount of moisture it can hold to begin with

you gotta get the moisture out of the air, grab a dehumidifier asap run your dehumidifier 24/7 and get another one too

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 27, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
get one of those diamond cutter things bank robbers use and cut perfect portholes in your floor to ceiling windows

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
With the solid glass walls, above a certain level of humidity your flat must officially be registered as an aquarium

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Hm all of this talk is giving me the fear about my flat which has suffered from mold issues through the winter, I crack the windows for a few hours everyday now and it seems to have helped (although means I freeze). We have a big dehumidifier for drying clothes as well but maybe we should run it in the bedroom before going to bed. We have lots of windows including a conservatory type structure in the living room and there are no trickle vents which seems a bit of an oversight!!?

It is part subterranean and the the roof of the block drains into our patio but due to the drain courses being woefully inadequate we get some standing water and I am pretty sure the damp course is hosed.

All of this from the princely sum of £1,150 a month but it is otherwise a nice and spacious 2 bed flat in Brighton. This goddamn damp country of landlordism.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CGI Stardust posted:

the HMS Inflammable, first and last of its name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mD2hsxrhQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A lot of people swear by "airing out the house" in the morning to get a full exchange of damp air for slightly-less-damp air but idk, probably better to have a hygrometer and a dehumidifier. My best thermostat has a built in hygrometer so I know my house is consistently at about 48-50% humidity, which is maybe a tad high but any lower and I tend to get nosebleeds and scaly skin (reptile DNA)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
On second thought, gently caress airing out the house, seal all doors and windows

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Hm all of this talk is giving me the fear about my flat which has suffered from mold issues through the winter, I crack the windows for a few hours everyday now and it seems to have helped (although means I freeze). We have a big dehumidifier for drying clothes as well but maybe we should run it in the bedroom before going to bed. We have lots of windows including a conservatory type structure in the living room and there are no trickle vents which seems a bit of an oversight!!?

It is part subterranean and the the roof of the block drains into our patio but due to the drain courses being woefully inadequate we get some standing water and I am pretty sure the damp course is hosed.

All of this from the princely sum of £1,150 a month but it is otherwise a nice and spacious 2 bed flat in Brighton. This goddamn damp country of landlordism.

Yeah I have rising damp and I have just been out propping up my gutter with a stick. :sadwave:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

On second thought, gently caress airing out the house, seal all doors and windows

Cool cool

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Don't worry, Boris going to come on at 5pm to tell us to go out and spend spend spend for Christmas.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Johnson will already be fully omicron'ed by this evening, after insisting on shaking hands with every incoming South African passenger for some reason

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Johnson will already be fully omicron'ed by this evening, after insisting on shaking hands with about 8% of incoming South African passengers for some reason

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

we're going to run out of Greek letters at this rate, looking forward to adopting the street fighter naming convention and getting Super Covid-19 EX2 Plus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My friend who's dad works for Nintendo says if you tape a £20 note to the top of Mortal Kombat you can play as Boris Johnson and fight Covid.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Proceed... on your way to oblivion.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

kecske posted:

we're going to run out of Greek letters at this rate, looking forward to adopting the street fighter naming convention and getting Super Covid-19 EX2 Plus.
Don't worry, I'm certain that Omega Covid will be the final variant.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Don't worry, I'm certain that Omega Covid will be the final variant.

Nah we need to get onto Covid Prime.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

My friend who's dad works for Nintendo says if you tape a £20 note to the top of Mortal Kombat you can play as Boris Johnson and fight Covid.

He learned his Hundred-Hand Slap technique from his Dad

E: wait poo poo that's Street Fighter. Ah whatever

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

kecske posted:

That's when we switch to Minoan Linear A, we can't translate that so hopefully it should stall the virus for quite some time! :thumbsup:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Looking forward to the Unicron variant.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Good thing Irving Finkel just finished his latest book, so he's on hand to provide the proper notation for the inauspicious-patterns-in-a-goat-liver variant of Covid.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 27, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

So what I'm hearing is that Insulate Britain shouldn't be allowed to exist without a counterpart group called Ventilate Britain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ventilate Britain will be along by Christmas

https://twitter.com/medschooladvice/status/1464340703220174848