Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Trick Question posted:

I was thinking of picking up Spectacular Sparky because it looks cool, but I noticed it's published by Nicalis. I remember they hosed over the guy who made Cave Story, should I still be wary of giving them money?
I don't know about Cave Story specifically, it seems like the dev for that game is still willing to work with them. But they do seem to be lovely and exploitative in their dealings with some other devs. Looks like the Binding of Isaac dev has severed ties with them at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Artelier posted:

Would anyone recommend Poker Quest or Library of Ruina (or anti-recommend, as it were)?

Library of Ruina is a very good game, although it is a direct sequel to a different game in a completely different genre (Lobotomy Corporation) if that's a dealbreaker. Korean anime deck builder set in an exceptionally dark world, lots of customizability, fun decks and excellent combat design. Requires some initial buy-in due to the tutorial not being very good and the mechanics being mildly obtuse.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

That stinks. I really don't want to give money to that shithead, but at the same time I want to support the dev because the game looks cool and as far as I can kind they're a one-man studio. Gonna sleep on it. Thanks for the links!

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Trick Question posted:

It's very good. Closer to a cross between hyper light drifter and zelda than metroid. It does have a timer mechanic that might stress you out though.

you can disable the timer mechanic if you want to so don't let it scare you off

there are pretty strong metroidvania elements of gaining new abilities to be able to progress & explore further, but it's in a zelda-like rather than the typical 2D platformer metroidvania style. the combat is very similar to HLD, just in a more metroid/zelda-esque world structure

i don't really have a problem with the art style at all, beyond some of the character portraits looking a little goofy. in action it looks great

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Figured this thread might be the right one to ask in so here goes:

I've been using Steam Link to via my Apple TV with good results, and it's super nice to play games in the living room. The only part I can't get to work is using more than one PS5 controller so I can play with my wife. The PS5 controller is connected to the Apple TV via Bluetooth, and both show up and work perfectly in Apple TV native games. In Steam Link however, multiple controllers control the same player. Is there a way around this, or is it just something that isn't supported in Steam Link?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GRIME is a real good game with some rad boss fights.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Artelier posted:

Would anyone recommend Poker Quest
I enjoyed this a lot. You can try it's original prototype to see for yourself.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of metroidvanias what's the deal with Unsighted? I've heard a lot of really glowing impressions and recommendations, but looking at some gameplay footage on youtube it looks like a super-generic indie anime platformer. Is it just one of those deals where it's lackluster art hiding super-neat mechanics?

It's basically a 2D Zelda, but less linear than those usually are.

I liked it a lot, but Zelda is one of my favorite game series.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Unsighted is good but it suffers because the plot and the pacing are designed around the timer but as a game it really doesn't respect your time (puzzles reset, if you miss a jump there are times you need to go back whole screens to try again, etc) so it feels like it really doesn't want you to succeed. I think it's on purpose (gotta wait for the ng+ for the perfect ending) but I didn't enjoy it. And if you disable the timer the whole premise of the game vanishes.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

lunar detritus posted:

Unsighted is good but it suffers because the plot and the pacing are designed around the timer but as a game it really doesn't respect your time (puzzles reset, if you miss a jump there are times you need to go back whole screens to try again, etc) so it feels like it really doesn't want you to succeed. I think it's on purpose (gotta wait for the ng+ for the perfect ending) but I didn't enjoy it. And if you disable the timer the whole premise of the game vanishes.

Agreed 100%!

I really liked the demo but they (not sure if intentionally) show you just a tiny piece with the main mechanics missing so I got a different impression from it than the full game. It's not a linear game, it's actually a top-down metroidvania.

I liked the art, the music, some of the boss fights, but the level design is not good, too many tedious puzzles where you know exactly what to do but you still have to spend 10 minutes doing it. The time mechanic didn't do anything for me and I ended up turning it off shortly before the end.

It's yet another case of a game where I would have preferred if it was shorter because a lot of the levels feel like straight-out padding.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

TeaJay posted:

I got through these parts but I can totally feel you. It feels to me too that some of the set pieces in the later (?) part of the game are just needlessly tedious and difficult, like the spot you mentioned. One was just earlier in the same area with the dragonflies. If you want to try again just keep following the pipe, blast your air flash (?) constantly to keep the little zombies at bay and keep looking back, the Nekk will follow you and you have to keep scaring him off. He will also follow you to the bottom, which I missed the first time and just thought I'm taking damage from the broken capsule leak.

I'm currently stuck at the fight with the witch in Sourwood and it doesn't feel good to run and dodge the attacks on such a narrow area.

I kinda feel like the game would've been better as an adventure game with exploration and a lot less combat, since the characters, the setting, world and the atmosphere is its greatest strength, the janky combat not so much. For example I loved the little forest rave thing with the band, the surly inventor and basically everything that's going on in the village. (Petworm! Come back!)

yeah combat is really not the strength, although I still appreciate it being that game and not another survival horror fps. Killing stuff that haunts you is the best carthasis in that genre, but it could've been better executed. I personally put it into perspective though as it is a first-time solo developer which I always find very respectful, especially if art/gameplay/sound are somewhat equally developed.
If you go watch some of his dev videos on youtube you see that quite a few things are really hacked together UE4 YT tutorials. He also acknowledged due to that certain fixes are now very painful to do for him.

Having more interaction with the NPCs from the village would've been great though, they are awesome. love the weird kid in the village sitting there and just spitting berrys at the pillory guy.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I really like the mega man collections and the castlevania collections. Hate Contra. Any other good classic game collections/remasters?

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Just played through Grime this month. It was a pretty unique metroidvania and the parry mechanic is a lot of fun. All the boss fights were a joy to fight too, even the optional ones you have to seek out.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

municipal shrimp posted:

Just played through Grime this month. It was a pretty unique metroidvania and the parry mechanic is a lot of fun. All the boss fights were a joy to fight too, even the optional ones you have to seek out.

I just got through Shapely Fidus last night, definitely my favourite so far.

One thing I appreciate is that so far all of the boss fights feel very different to each other.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn during the sale, I had it once before but that was before a GPU upgrade so it kinda ran like poo poo and fiddling with settings only made it tolerable so I refunded. I'm having a great time with this now, just a really neat game what with the robo varieties of of creatures and the whole stripping away parts mechanic. I forgot you eventually get a mount so I gasped when the tutorial told me to hop on the strider I just took over. My only complaint so far is the runnin' around isn't the best; my brain is telling me it should feel like an asscreed game but it's definitely not that. There's a lot of awkward videogame jumping over rocks and stuff when it's not super clear there's a section elsewhere with the yellow "climb here" indicator.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I loved Doom 2016 and then got Eternal and the graphics/visual design looked way worse, and the story was nonsense compared to 2016s really simple yet interesting one and I just couldn't get into it at all

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alctel posted:

I loved Doom 2016 and then got Eternal and the graphics/visual design looked way worse, and the story was nonsense and I just couldn't get into it at all

You really liked that piss filter?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Jack Trades posted:

You really liked that piss filter?

I don't really know what you mean, I think 2016 looking better than eternal isn't that controversial

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

2016 had a consistent aesthetic that meshed well with the narrative, eternal felt like it was made by like four different designers guided by four different writers, all unconnected to the other until they tried to slap them together at the end

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alctel posted:

I don't really know what you mean, I think 2016 looking better than eternal isn't that controversial
If you're legally blind maybe.
I can understand not liking the storytelling or the gameplay of Eternal but the graphics? Really?

I'm so glad that Eternal decided to have some actual colors instead of doing the lazy loving desaturated shooter thing and covering the camera lens in piss.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Jack Trades posted:

If you're legally blind maybe.
I can understand not liking the storytelling or the gameplay of Eternal but the graphics? Really?
I'm so glad that Eternal decided to have some actual colors instead of doing the lazy loving desaturated shooter thing and covering the camera lens in piss.

Wasn't that dependent on the environment? I remember the outside mars levels being super red-shifted, hell being sorta sickly and inside environments being very crisp

Like my main memory from 2016 is how red and cool looking all the Martian landscapes were

Alctel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 27, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alctel posted:

Wasn't that dependent on the environment? I remember the outside mars levels being super red-shifted, hell being sorta sickly and inside environments being very crisp

Like my main memory from 2016 is how red all the Martian landscapes were

The space station levels did look nice, blue tinted and crispy, you're right, very pleasant to look at, but everything else has way too little saturation and it was basically monochrome. Hell being the absolute worst.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I was given a copy of Garage: Bad Trip, which describes itself as "a bloody topdown shooter inspired by VHS era B-movies".

It's a twin-stick shooter where you play the role of a dude who wakes up with the zombie apocalypse raging in a load of buildings you investigate, having to find keys to open doors. The controls are okay but not perfect, as you feel a little floaty, but get used to that pretty quickly.

I really enjoyed the first couple of hours with an axe and pistol taking out zombies but after that you start getting military dudes shooting at you and I just soured on it immediately. Enemies are now being placed around every blind corner in stupid places and it lost its charm. Up until that point I loved finding secret areas and taking zombie heads or arms off. Also, the check-point system was very unforgiving at times where it would make you do the whole area again if you died. As an example, there's a section where you need to find gas to fuel up a motorcycle and once you do that you jump on the bike and have to race along a tunnel avoiding exploding barrels that kill you instantly. If you fail any of that you have to go back to finding the gas again, and as soon as you get on the bike you are mobbed by zombies who kill you in 1 second and not told how to start the bike. It took me 5 or 6 attempts to start it, and even then I died from the barrels and then not going fast enough to complete the stage. Very frustrating.

I really felt like there was a game hiding in there that I would love playing, but too many little things added up to make me uninstall it and play something else. Plenty more twin-stick shooters in the sea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey, does anyone have advice troubleshooting steam streaming? I'm having some problems with my mouse. I like to play FF14 on my couch, streamed from my desktop since my laptop is kinda crap. But something changed in the last week and the mouse buttons are now only recognizing the "click" input but not the "no-longer clicking" input. This means I am constantly mouse-looking around and can't actually click on anything in the UI, since the game thinks the mouse (either right or left button, it is both, whichever I press first) is constantly being held down. The mouse works fine in other contexts, so I don't think it's the mouse, and things used to be fine, so I don't know what changed.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alctel posted:

Yeah I thought 2016 looked better too, just felt sharper and crisper with one of the postprocessing filters it had with higher contrast and richer darks

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

explosivo posted:

I picked up Horizon Zero Dawn during the sale, I had it once before but that was before a GPU upgrade so it kinda ran like poo poo and fiddling with settings only made it tolerable so I refunded. I'm having a great time with this now, just a really neat game what with the robo varieties of of creatures and the whole stripping away parts mechanic. I forgot you eventually get a mount so I gasped when the tutorial told me to hop on the strider I just took over. My only complaint so far is the runnin' around isn't the best; my brain is telling me it should feel like an asscreed game but it's definitely not that. There's a lot of awkward videogame jumping over rocks and stuff when it's not super clear there's a section elsewhere with the yellow "climb here" indicator.

Its real annoying when you can see the objective but the telegraphed yellow traversal markers aren't easily found and you can almost but not quite brute force it up. Sometimes it works too.

It gives the rear end Creed vibe but there is supposed to only be one specific path up mountains and terrain.

If you haven't, head straight to the main City once you leave the tutorial area. There's both all the best gear and the guy who sells the unlimited fast travel pack.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
On a Metroidvania note, I can't recommend Guacamelee (1st one, have yet to play the 2nd) enough. It's funny, it's pretty with a warm colour palette, it's rather alternative theme-wise, and there's something great to using wrestling moves for room traversal.

But more than all that, it's rather linear and doesn't overstay its welcome once its final powers/gimmicks are handed over (finished it in about 10h). Next areas are flagged or obvious, spots where you can use your new power are coloured on map, it's basically one of those Metroidvania games for people who don't feel like backtracking 2041427e14 times to recheck every room/wall/floor to find where to go next. If you enjoyed Metroid Fusion and thought Metroid Zero Mission's big glowing targets on map were a nice addition, you'll probably enjoy taking on the world of the dead one suplex at a time.

Right now the STCE edition (the one you want to play) is on sale just over €3. The sequel costs a fiver, but I haven't played it yet, so can't throw a recommendation, although from the looks of it, it's just more of the same.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How historically weird can you get with Hearts of Iron 4? I don't just mean "lol the Nazis win" but like beating the Spanish fash down and becoming Commie Europe or letting Mosley do his thing and become Reich Britain or whatever? I know there is an option to force the AI into making roughly historical decisions but if you let it loose can interesting things happen?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pentyne posted:

If you haven't, head straight to the main City once you leave the tutorial area. There's both all the best gear and the guy who sells the unlimited fast travel pack.

Thanks for the tip! I saw about the golden bedroll but didn't know I could just go there so I'll have to check it out.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Does game pass give you an in app warning that a game will be delisted soon?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Pierson posted:

How historically weird can you get with Hearts of Iron 4? I don't just mean "lol the Nazis win" but like beating the Spanish fash down and becoming Commie Europe or letting Mosley do his thing and become Reich Britain or whatever? I know there is an option to force the AI into making roughly historical decisions but if you let it loose can interesting things happen?

I've seen screenshots of the vanilla game where communist britain takes over the americas, so

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Pierson posted:

I've only played a little of HOI4, but I have paid attention to some of the alternate history mods, and if HOI doesn't allow a suitable level of history weirdness for you, there are a slew of other ones for you to play with.

The New Order: Last Days of Europe is perhaps the most fleshed-out of all of them. It's also really dark and disturbing. Its portrayal of nuclear war is not the sort of thing I wanted to see in the middle of the night.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pierson posted:

This is the entire gimmick and HoI 4 is actually trash for fighting the historical WW2. Mods allow for everything from "Germany won WW1", "Germany won WW2 and Hitler's just died, power struggle between bickering nazis" as well as Fallout and uh, My Little Pony. And the MLP mod is actually the best mod gameplay wise??

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Personally, I'm holding out for the historical Mod where you can play as the United Montenegro Empire of Europe and North Africa.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Elea posted:

Does game pass give you an in app warning that a game will be delisted soon?

they have a Leaving Soon section on the main page of the app with dates, yeah

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hell yeah thanks all. I found the Paradox megathread so I'll bother them in there about it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Hidden Deep (https://store.steampowered.com/app/976890/Hidden_Deep/) is a pretty neat little side-scrolling action game where you investigate an underwater base full of horrid monsters. you get to use guns, grappling hooks, scanners etc to find keys and open doors. There is a playtest you can join from the Steam page and have a go.

I put an hour into it just now and it was fun and creepy, but it is REALLY rough right now. Controls are fiddly, and I died so many times because my guy would drop off an edge instead of climbing down, and the control system in general feels like it could be streamlined. I ended up uninstalling it when I reached a point where I had to grapple up high and the tooltip told me to "swing on the rope, press space to detach and hold W and D to crawl into the vent". No matter what I'd just fall to my death and eventually you fail the mission and have to start again back at the start of the long level. I just don't have the patience any more to fight against that.

But it's way in early access from a single developer and looks very promising. I'll be keeping an eye on it, but it needs a lot of smoothing out yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Jack Trades posted:

You'll want to find a different screenshot, that's not from the final version of 2016 and a fair chunk of the effects work is missing in that shot.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, there are a ton of games with time limit premises that are not real time limits as a game mechanic, and turning the timer off just makes it become one of those.

It's definitely an interesting experiment, though my feeling is it's maybe not the best fit for the genre when it so heavily focuses on exploration. the time limit is at least worth attempting to engage with when you play it, and if you find it too annoying you can choose to turn it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1005450/Vision_Soft_Reset/

Anyone ever play Vision Soft Reset? I don't think i've ever seen it mentioned here but it sounds pretty interesting. Always curious about time travel mechanics that actually evoke time travel and don't just mean "a 5 second rewind" or "you can slow down enemies"