Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

My lizard brain strikes again, I don't know how to get through this room. I am stuck.

Just wait for the new patch to make this easier for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I have to guess the patch is just eliminating the middle fan in that final section, so people are forced to realize that the sideways hop is even possible

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I have to guess the patch is just eliminating the middle fan in that final section, so people are forced to realize that the sideways hop is even possible

I felt smart figuring that out... I'm becoming that "you didn't learn you didn't grow" person

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

If I am correct then I have no idea why they would restrict the chaos one. For the law one it makes some sense as it would do a lot to shatter the power curve even if you do not touch your end game demons considering the way fusion works.

I earned the chaos miracle and it did not transfer to newborn ng+. You can summon demons from your compendium regardless of level though so if you wanna break the power curve on newborn ng+ it's still very easy to.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I said come in! posted:

My lizard brain strikes again, I don't know how to get through this room. I am stuck.

Good news in case for some reason you don't get past this, this exact room is getting changed in the next patch.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2021/11/shin-megami-tensei-v-is-getting-its-first-update-here-are-the-patch-notes

- More settings in the Options menu
- Camera angle and screen brightness adjustment while navigating the overworld
- Number of wind gimmicks reduced near Demon King’s Castle 3rd Stratum Hall Leyline Fount
- Other minor bug fixes

Edit: looks like I was beaten.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Just white-knuckled my way through the Finn McCool fight. SMT is back, baby.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol finally got it, thanks guys. I am very dumb.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

After doing all the side quests and filling in the compendium up to level 50, I'm exiting area 3 at the 50 hour mark. Looking forward to what's next, hoping to wrap up before FF14 Endwalker lol

Edit also a chunk of that time was spent doing the rounds with the townsfolk

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 27, 2021

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Am I the only one that feels the midgame optional bosses are a bit... wack, in terms of levels. (Area 3 sidequest spoilers) Like the Rider Fiends are unlocked after Lv 49 Sutr... yet the first 2 are much lower level than him, to the point you oretty much fuse the first for the second. Oyamatsumi is level 48 but his fusioned version is level 40, way below the level you probably are. Heck, the Deva in Area 2 is like, 11 levels lower than the Deva in Area 1! And it's not like the game has to use their actual fusion levels when story bosses and other optional bosses constantly ignore them!

TL;DR: The game didn't really need the level difference modifier if it's just gonna put whatever levels they want on non-random enemies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"Level" itself being a super important stat is a pet peeve of mine in RPGs. A ton of RPGs do it to some extent, but when it's a really noticeable, drastic effect in every damage calculation, it makes things feel a little shallow.

There's enough going on elsewhere in SMTV that it's not really harming my experience of the game too much but that also just makes me question why it was necessary in the first place.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Talk about not remembering that much about IV, I didn't even remember it has no difficulty levels. What's up with that. Maybe that's why everyone says it's too easy, a Hard Mode or at least a DLC Hard Mode would have helped some. I apparently also beat the game at only Level 74. Granted, I think IVA is the only SMT game I finished where I inevitably ended up at near max level...I think I finished Nocturne somewhere in the 70s, too.

Gonna go with a Luck build to try and increase difficulty.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Really like Cironnup and Manananggal

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Harrow posted:

"Level" itself being a super important stat is a pet peeve of mine in RPGs. A ton of RPGs do it to some extent, but when it's a really noticeable, drastic effect in every damage calculation, it makes things feel a little shallow.

There's enough going on elsewhere in SMTV that it's not really harming my experience of the game too much but that also just makes me question why it was necessary in the first place.

They probably really want you to be constantly switching to new demons and level is the simplest way to do that without big stat inflation.

I don’t like it much either. It’s a bit annoying when trying to compare two demons with it not really being clear how much stats affect things versus how much level affects things (for example, figuring out if a level 50 with 45 strength is stronger than a level 47 demon with 50 strength. Hard to tell at a glance!)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

NikkolasKing posted:

Talk about not remembering that much about IV, I didn't even remember it has no difficulty levels.

....Uh, yes it does. It has 3. The real problem is that they're gated for some reason; it has an easier difficulty if you get revived by Charon twice and a hard difficulty that is only unlocked in NG+.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I'm a ways into the third area met the demons in the forest who gave me the thing to pass through fire and presumably get killed by Surt

About how much more do I have before the end of the game, just curious.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lotus Aura posted:

....Uh, yes it does. It has 3. The real problem is that they're gated for some reason; it has an easier difficulty if you get revived by Charon twice and a hard difficulty that is only unlocked in NG+.

Fair enough but how are you supposed to know any of that? Why isn't it just selectable at the start of the game like every other SMT? SJR also ahs a NG+ Impossible difficulty but it just tells you that when you start the game.

I have a NG+ for IV and saw nothing at all when I started the game just now.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 27, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MechaX posted:

So I'm a ways into the third area met the demons in the forest who gave me the thing to pass through fire and presumably get killed by Surt

There's 1 more full area (as you could probably guess by the Miman count) but there's a dungeon between you and there and then a couple more dungeons at the end. So a bit more of 1/4 of the game is left - probably closer to 1/3 since you're only halfway through the third area.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

MechaX posted:

Based on my count you still have at least 10 hours... In that area alone lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MechaX posted:

a lot lol.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I beat mr cumhaill and was exploring the area after him and a random horse samurai demon popped out of nowhere, attacked me, doesn’t seem to be a boss but had custom music, and after a pretty long back and forth battle got 2 lucky crits on my main character and ended it.

What was that exactly

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I beat mr cumhaill and was exploring the area after him and a random horse samurai demon popped out of nowhere, attacked me, doesn’t seem to be a boss but had custom music, and after a pretty long back and forth battle got 2 lucky crits on my main character and ended it.

What was that exactly

Was it in a parking garage? If so, that was Kumbhanda, and there's a sidequest tied to icing it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What was that exactly

It's just a map miniboss enemy like others you've seen before.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

It's just a map miniboss enemy like others you've seen before.

I was actively aggroed by this one though while the others usually feel like they have giant LEAVE ME ALONE signs and are 10 meters tall

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Was it in a parking garage? If so, that was Kumbhanda, and there's a sidequest tied to icing it

Yes it was! Ok makes sense

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

What was that exactly

an rear end in a top hat who chases you down in a parking garage.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Yojimbo Voorhees

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

MechaX posted:

lol, I just finished the second area with a 25 hour playtime, judging by these responses I will take a bit longer than the hltb average

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

I said come in! posted:

what the gently caress is this oh god

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

Area 3 has been my least favorite traversal of the game and it sounds like that dungeon is the peak of it. (I'm just shy of entering.)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

When you get what is asked of you it is not bad but it can be a pain to figure out the right final combination.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I did that room Thursday evening after having a few beverages and let's say that "added" to the experience

I tried that part in the upper right corner 15 times before I finally made it past lol... Then I got turned around and found myself back at the starting door

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They breadcrumb the whole dungeon, it's rather simple

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's a good dungeon, rip to those who will never get to play it in its original form

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When the change comes it will be easy to check what has actually changed about it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a good dungeon, rip to those who will never get to play it in its original form

This person speaks the truth. It's the most fun I had in the game outside combat.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

They breadcrumb the whole dungeon, it's rather simple

Okay Einstein.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's literally a Magatushi trail that guides you all the way to the last jump

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Just started SMTV and if I am doing a STR build what should I be slamming my stats into distribution wise? Is it ok to go all in on STR?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

the best part of the game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MotU posted:

Just started SMTV and if I am doing a STR build what should I be slamming my stats into distribution wise? Is it ok to go all in on STR?

I put no points into anything else and it was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I guess I’ll keep my switch in Airplane mode until I get to the dungeon because I need to experience it at full power