Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Since it's Thanksgiving, I dragged this out and had a listen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Tonight we will be playing The Last Waltz Blu-ray, as is tradition.

Speaking of optical media: I hate people.

Sorry for the fb link but i cannot locate this company having any presence on Youtube or Twitter, just tons of under-20s unboxing and tweeting about it. Which makes sense; if there are tons of kids doing your brand awareness for you... why bother advertising? Surprised they even bothered with old-timer facebook.

Edit: Unsurprisingly they are on ig.

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 26, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
A CD player that has a constantly exposed laser is a really good idea.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah nothing is going to knock that out of alignment or get it covered in crap or jam the mechanism or blind someone.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not too happy with Italians Do It Better at the moment, I'm sad to say. Along with some records, I ordered a poster set from them, and they must have forgot to include it. Plenty of other goodies as usual, which made me feel a bit weird to write in and complain, but, y'know, :10bux:. Anyway they wrote back saying they'd send out a replacement and give me a tracking number and... that was four weeks ago and they've gone radio silent, not even reacting to a followup mail. Hope they don't end up making me get a refund.

This stinks! I haven’t bought anything from them since the Chromatics breakup and this makes me feel like I’ve made the right choice. I definitely like some of the current acts on the label but the way stuff has gone down leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I’m guessing they are out of the posters. For what it’s worth if I had any of the dear Tommy ones they are selling I’d be happy to send them your way.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

BY THE WAY.

All music on Alternative Tentacles is 40% off from the 25th through the 29th.

So do i need a coupon code or what, because everything is just sitting there at normal price

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

So do i need a coupon code or what, because everything is just sitting there at normal price

That's odd. I got an email from them saying there was a black Friday sale on those dates. It doesn't have a code or anything.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

The sale prices are now in effect.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

pwn posted:

Tonight we will be playing The Last Waltz Blu-ray, as is tradition.

Speaking of optical media: I hate people.

Sorry for the fb link but i cannot locate this company having any presence on Youtube or Twitter, just tons of under-20s unboxing and tweeting about it. Which makes sense; if there are tons of kids doing your brand awareness for you... why bother advertising? Surprised they even bothered with old-timer facebook.

Edit: Unsurprisingly they are on ig.

I did some quick googling, because I remember there being tons of CD players with clear lids or windows in them so you could watch the disc spin and lo and behold. Same thing cheaper, probably direct from China, but with a clear lid. I love how the fake CD in the images on this one is colored like a 45, you can tell what market they're going for there.

Anybody find anything cool on sale today? I looked at three records but after listening to samples of them I decide I didn't like them enough to actually buy them. Which is fine my collectibles budget is a bit blown atm anyways. They were the Enjoy the Ride records rerelease of 8 bit Machine and 8 bit Time Paradox along with Game Chop's bandcamp campaign to release a Zelda Synthwave album on vinyl.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've bought more vinyl in the past few weeks than I have in the past decade:

New stuff:

Genesis - The Last Domino? A 4-LP set of hits. Lots of pics inside of the band on their last tour.

Another ELO compilation. I'm a sucker for colored vinyl.

ABBA - Voyage. Their first new album in 40 years.

Now some old stuff:

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside. The record company released this with several different covers.

Got these a local church yard sale:

Roger Williams - Songs of the Fabulous 40s. I actually recognize a few of the titles.

The Melachrino Strings - Music for Reading

Knuckles O'Toole Plays Honky Tonk Piano Volume 3. I bought this because of the dude's name.

An assortment of Jackie Gleason 45s. The cover of Lonesome Echo was done by freaking Salvadore Dali!

As you can see, I was missing Part 3. Being a completist, I had to get the missing part, so off to ebay. Rather than spend too much for just one record (which I couldn't find by itself anyway), I went down the rabbit hole:

I got the whole set, but now Parts 1 & 2 are in a single set.

I bought a whole batch of these things:

All of the vinyl from the yard sale was pretty clean for its age, but I'm going to clean it all anyway.

Now I want to complete the Jackie Gleason stuff.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Got these a local church yard sale:

Roger Williams - Songs of the Fabulous 40s. I actually recognize a few of the titles.

Now I want to complete the Jackie Gleason stuff.

I have the Roger Williams, courtesy of my grandparents' small collection of albums. There's a Gleason in it, too, The Torch With the Blue Flame. The cover is gorgeous.

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A friend just gifted me Slint's Spiderland album, and it came with the full Breadcrumb Trail documentary DVD inside. One of my favorites in my collection now.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
So loving happy right now, I just got my Get On Down copy of Liquid Swords. It looks legit, it sounds good. Thanks again to the goon who helped me out!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Castor Poe posted:

So loving happy right now, I just got my Get On Down copy of Liquid Swords. It looks legit, it sounds good. Thanks again to the goon who helped me out!

I'm glad it worked out.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Today at the flea market.

Enhance.

Enhance.

Garthwatch

pwn
May 27, 2004

Honestly, lmao

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ultrasonic cleaner obtained. time to test out some of my more distressed records (like that copy of Danzigs first record that skips a bunch on Mother).

pwn
May 27, 2004

oop

They had all three versions

Bonus at the checkout

:clint:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dorium posted:

ultrasonic cleaner obtained. time to test out some of my more distressed records (like that copy of Danzigs first record that skips a bunch on Mother).

Yeah, lets have a report on this! I think with the number of dirty records I have, I could see getting something like this.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 28, 2021

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Lol had a dream about the Garth Brooks collection last night so i may need to stop reading this thread before bedtime.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Who had the garth brooks set on sale? unironic.

pwn
May 27, 2004

petit choux posted:

Yeah, lets have a report on this! I think with the number of dirty records I have, I could see getting something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj2MbDpP-HA

Though I would like someone who is a bit more thorough than to test one record, using a damned soundburger player. Just use a proper record player, dude

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a type of jacket sleeve for records. They would be made of acetate folded into a squared spine. The closest thing I have to it is the custom-printed cover to this Bon Iver record (you can jolly well stow any wisecracks)

They would be similar to these archival sleeves you can buy for Steelbooks.

The company which makes those SB sleeves doesn't seem to make anything for records. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

cosmicjim posted:

Who had the garth brooks set on sale? unironic.

I fly back home tomorrow. If you are seriously looking for Garth Brooks albums, I can send you one of the sets I have for whatever the shipping cost is. I think I paid 25 bucks for three copies of the albums and only opened the 180 gram version. I still have the analog and remasters sitting in shrink wrap.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

I'm looking to see if anyone knows of a type of jacket sleeve for records. They would be made of acetate folded into a squared spine. The closest thing I have to it is the custom-printed cover to this Bon Iver record (you can jolly well stow any wisecracks)

They would be similar to these archival sleeves you can buy for Steelbooks.

The company which makes those SB sleeves doesn't seem to make anything for records. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Try Bags Unlimited. They have a huge variety of boxes, cases, bags, and sleeves for all kinds of poo poo.

pwn
May 27, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Try Bags Unlimited. They have a huge variety of boxes, cases, bags, and sleeves for all kinds of poo poo.

I found something that should work, they sadly don’t have any for thicker gatefolds but these will fit the ones I have. Thanks!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

dorium posted:

I briefly thought you were putting that record through a shredder.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Hekk posted:

I fly back home tomorrow. If you are seriously looking for Garth Brooks albums, I can send you one of the sets I have for whatever the shipping cost is. I think I paid 25 bucks for three copies of the albums and only opened the 180 gram version. I still have the analog and remasters sitting in shrink wrap.

It was for a gift. I found it for $12.50

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Original-Analog-Garth-Brooks/dp/B07VQW9K7J/

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Y'all got any "hip hop instrumental" compilations y'all like, particularly on Bandcamp? I'm looking for more recommendations (the DJ Shadow Entroducing is on my wishlist).

I found this album of beats at my local record store and I bought it on a whim (the art caught my eye and I was pretty tipsy), only noticing later that it's (allegedly) one of only 400. I've listened to it four times already, I really enjoy it. I'm posting it here in case any of y'all are interested.
https://calvinvalentine.bandcamp.com/album/weed-is-awesome

I'm a big fan of this one:
https://tigerbloodtapes.bandcamp.com/album/treehouse-beats-95-98

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Aeroplane Over the Sea is $15 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002PHVHFI

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 29, 2021

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Girl Talk has been delayed again, this time until May 2022 earliest. Crazy how long we’ve been waiting for this.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

petit choux posted:

So far its pretty interesting. It's definitely a step up from my first cleaning system which was the Spin Clean and then I went to a Squeaky Clean w/Power Vac setup. It's definitely super nice to just set it and forget it for a cleaning and just come by and grab the disc when its all done. Super handy in that regard and I can actually get along with my day the rest of the time. As far as cleaning and sound quality before and after I am noticing a major step up in that regard.

First I tried out some fresh used discs I had just bought that afternoon. Some dusty and old records that have been sitting in the shop for a minute and after a 15 minute trip through the machine the discs came out looking shiny and fresh. Definitely some static build up though I noticed after the drying process, but I can solve that with my Zerostat gun. Next I tried one of my more precious records, the first pressing Mono edition of John Coltrane's "Ballads". lots of background noise during playback, but to be expected with a disc that's nearing 60 years in age. I put it through two trips of the cleaning process and after a shot from the stat gun the noise level dropped all the way the gently caress down to near nothing. I was really really shocked how good it sounded. Still, its a 60 year old record, but doing an A/B test from a Squeaky Clean cleaning to a Ultrasonic cleaning it was night and day how much noise just went away. Was really shocked about that one.

Now I'm going through and trying to recall some records I had issues with in the past. tried my copy of Danzigs first album, but unfortunately I think it's a physical issue on the B-Side because Mother skips super hard for the first 40 seconds before getting on with the rest of the song. Super bummed about that one because I'll have to find another copy even though they're all ridiculously priced nowadays. I'm enjoying it though. It's a real simple tool to use, the filter keeps the water clean so you dont have to replace the distilled water after every cleaning and it's just kinda great having my time back. I used to spend at least 60-90 minutes cleaning records using my Spin Clean or Squeaky Clean. Now I just set this thing up in the kitchen (because it is noisy in the initial cleaning and then the water draining) and come back every 15 minutes or so after a record is done cleaning and swap in the next one.

So far so good.

spookygonk posted:

I briefly thought you were putting that record through a shredder.

Now that would be something!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Read After Burning posted:

Y'all got any "hip hop instrumental" compilations y'all like, particularly on Bandcamp? I'm looking for more recommendations (the DJ Shadow Entroducing is on my wishlist).

I stumbled on the physical vinyl of this that was shoved into the electronic section at the record store because of the cover. It was quite a shock when I played it at home and it turned out to be chill hip hop beats. I wound up liking it anyways so it was a win.

https://torbtheroach.bandcamp.com/album/square-wave-adventures

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

I stumbled on the physical vinyl of this that was shoved into the electronic section at the record store because of the cover. It was quite a shock when I played it at home and it turned out to be chill hip hop beats. I wound up liking it anyways so it was a win.

https://torbtheroach.bandcamp.com/album/square-wave-adventures

Ooh, thank you! I mostly enjoy this, although some of the distorted vocals are odd (appropriate for vaporwave, not so much for other stuff :colbert:)

THREAD. I am so happy. After almost six months, I just scored one of the last in-stock vinyl copies of Bae 5 by Yung Bae....some fantastic future funk. Japanese Disco Edits set is still in stock, but $75 for three records is way too much for me right now.

https://yungbaebae.bandcamp.com/album/bae-5

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

So far its pretty interesting. It's definitely a step up from my first cleaning system which was the Spin Clean and then I went to a Squeaky Clean w/Power Vac setup. It's definitely super nice to just set it and forget it for a cleaning and just come by and grab the disc when its all done. Super handy in that regard and I can actually get along with my day the rest of the time. As far as cleaning and sound quality before and after I am noticing a major step up in that regard.

First I tried out some fresh used discs I had just bought that afternoon. Some dusty and old records that have been sitting in the shop for a minute and after a 15 minute trip through the machine the discs came out looking shiny and fresh. Definitely some static build up though I noticed after the drying process, but I can solve that with my Zerostat gun. Next I tried one of my more precious records, the first pressing Mono edition of John Coltrane's "Ballads". lots of background noise during playback, but to be expected with a disc that's nearing 60 years in age. I put it through two trips of the cleaning process and after a shot from the stat gun the noise level dropped all the way the gently caress down to near nothing. I was really really shocked how good it sounded. Still, its a 60 year old record, but doing an A/B test from a Squeaky Clean cleaning to a Ultrasonic cleaning it was night and day how much noise just went away. Was really shocked about that one.

Now I'm going through and trying to recall some records I had issues with in the past. tried my copy of Danzigs first album, but unfortunately I think it's a physical issue on the B-Side because Mother skips super hard for the first 40 seconds before getting on with the rest of the song. Super bummed about that one because I'll have to find another copy even though they're all ridiculously priced nowadays. I'm enjoying it though. It's a real simple tool to use, the filter keeps the water clean so you dont have to replace the distilled water after every cleaning and it's just kinda great having my time back. I used to spend at least 60-90 minutes cleaning records using my Spin Clean or Squeaky Clean. Now I just set this thing up in the kitchen (because it is noisy in the initial cleaning and then the water draining) and come back every 15 minutes or so after a record is done cleaning and swap in the next one.

So far so good.

Now that would be something!

Have you tried looking at that skip with a magnifying glass? There could be something bigger in there that’s causing it that you could dislodge with a toothpick or something

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BigFactory posted:

Have you tried looking at that skip with a magnifying glass? There could be something bigger in there that’s causing it that you could dislodge with a toothpick or something

yea I've tried, it really looks like a deep groove problem. like someone tried to clear it with a toothpick before and just mooshed it in even more. I can get a little debris out if I try, but its pretty firmly in there and i dont want to cause anymore damage than there already is.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I found this album of beats at my local record store and I bought it on a whim (the art caught my eye and I was pretty tipsy), only noticing later that it's (allegedly) one of only 400. I've listened to it four times already, I really enjoy it. I'm posting it here in case any of y'all are interested.
https://calvinvalentine.bandcamp.com/album/weed-is-awesome

I'm a big fan of this one:
https://tigerbloodtapes.bandcamp.com/album/treehouse-beats-95-98

If you're a fan of Beck check out this Breaks and Beats release. Solid remixes of Beck tracks that is really fun to play around with.

https://www.discogs.com/release/710705-Beck-Panzah-Zandahz-Breaks-And-Beats

Enon's Long Play has some really good beats that remind me of MF Dooms style. This was recently rereleased by the third best record store in Dayton (their quote, not mine), Blind Rage Records.

https://blindragerecords.limitedrun.com/products/694855-enon-long-play-lp

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 29, 2021

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Ooh, thank you! I mostly enjoy this, although some of the distorted vocals are odd (appropriate for vaporwave, not so much for other stuff :colbert:)

THREAD. I am so happy. After almost six months, I just scored one of the last in-stock vinyl copies of Bae 5 by Yung Bae....some fantastic future funk. Japanese Disco Edits set is still in stock, but $75 for three records is way too much for me right now.

https://yungbaebae.bandcamp.com/album/bae-5

In stock where? A quick google showed it as sold out everywhere and it's $150-$200 on discogs.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Arcella posted:

In stock where? A quick google showed it as sold out everywhere and it's $150-$200 on discogs.

It was on his website. Looks like it sold out an hour or two ago..boo! I'm sorry if I got your hopes up. He seems to re-stock them a few times a year, usually around the same time as live sets.

CaptainBeefart posted:

If you're a fan of Beck check out this Breaks and Beats release. Solid remixes of Beck tracks that is really fun to play around with.
https://www.discogs.com/release/710705-Beck-Panzah-Zandahz-Breaks-And-Beats

Thank you! I just grabbed this on Discogs, as well as this as a random dumb Christmas surprise for my partner!
https://www.discogs.com/release/489324-Boba-Fettucini-Jawa-Breaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

It was on his website. Looks like it sold out an hour or two ago..boo! I'm sorry if I got your hopes up. He seems to re-stock them a few times a year, usually around the same time as live sets.

You did! Unfortunately those albums aren’t on Spotify but I can grab them on band amp to tide me over. My receiver with Bluetooth actually sounds pretty good and it’s a good way to check out albums before I buy them.