Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
MCU TV: CIVIL WAR (OVER PENTHOUSE FINANCING)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
MCU TV: HAWKEYE - WEALTH IS OP, DISNEY; PLEASE NERF!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Gaz-L posted:

This is kinda the key. It's fair enough if people aren't enjoying the show, but a lot of the criticisms seem to be 'I'd like this way better if it was a totally different show with a different cast and story'. And whatever else this is, it's very much intended to be evoking the imagery and tone of a specific run on the comics, and introducing a specific very popular comics character in a way that has her feel consistent with the version on the page.
If it were a totally different show/cast/story that evoked the themes and tone of the Fraction/Aja run, I've love it. The show has the imagery down, but isn't connecting with the source material.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

This is kind of a fascinating complaint. Like... they should make you care about Kate and her family by... showing less of them and their relationships?

They should either make her mother/'stepfather' actually interesting or just stop focusing on them so much. I was bored whenever they were on screen, more bored than even Jeremy Renner.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Firebert posted:

They should either make her mother/'stepfather' actually interesting or just stop focusing on them so much. I was bored whenever they were on screen, more bored than even Jeremy Renner.

Well, the stepfather seems to be some kind of Hawkeye of close-combat weaponry who is also part of some kind of "John Wick light" underworld.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

What I find interesting about Kate is that she still wants to be a hero and looks up to Hawkeye even after everything that happened during the Blip. I’m assuming she wasn’t dusted away in that five year frame, so to me it’s somewhat fascinating that she still believes in the heroes who cocked it up six years ago. I don’t think it’s something that the show will tackle but I really like the plucky optimistic character archetype

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

It's Marvel. I mean, do you complain when your Chipotle isn't authentically Mexican? The whole point of MCU is you know within a spectrum what your gonna get. That's why it consistently succeeds whereas even good DCU movies fail at the BO like The Suicide Squad because apparently no one was asking for a hard R sequel to a goofy superhero movie. Consistency is its own quality.

Yeah I do complain actually because I am literally Mexican

E: also I gotta say this is just so sad. I watched this tv show because I need to see just how bad it is for myself. It’s in the general pop culture and my friends watch it and want to talk about it in group chats. I like to keep up with them. I’m sorry you actually enjoy this slop. Have fun with it my man

Also the suicide squad failed because it didn’t have Will Smith, confusing name/marketing, and Margot Robbie’s harley Quinn is now proven to not get anyone to see any of these movies.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 27, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The Walt Disney company is not happy with me--that's okay, I'll still keep watching that garbage.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

if something is gonna be bad it better at least be fun

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bust Rodd posted:

Hawkeye begs the question “what kind of Marvel movie can we make with basically no budget, shooting the entire thing in the hotel I stayed in last April”

You can tell from the 4k transfer that they clearly shot in New York.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Squidster posted:

If it were a totally different show/cast/story that evoked the themes and tone of the Fraction/Aja run, I've love it. The show has the imagery down, but isn't connecting with the source material.

Feige's made it abundantly clear at this point that he's only ever going to use the source material as a jumping off point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Firebert posted:

Marvel’s foundation, cinematically, was forged around the most interesting Rich, White person on Earth, and I think there’s a really big disconnect between Tony Stark and the next most interesting rich, white people in the MCU, and whoever those characters would be, they are at least 50 names ahead of “The Bishop Family” in terms of engaging or interesting characters.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Man, it took me a minute to recognize Lalo Salamanca in a tuxedo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mage_Boy posted:

With all the hints leading to the new step-father being the villain, overall started to look at Kate's mother instead. Now I'm wondering: we saw the mother and father arguing over money and then the alien attack happens and we know the father is dead from the funeral. Could this be Kate's mother finding a way to make sure he dies for life insurance? They did never show him die.

Yeah that's the immediate impression I got. She owns a clearly evil mega-security company and had a bitter argument with a man who ended up dead two hours later.

My prediction is that Lalo's a secret good guy and is trying to get close to Madam Bishop to stop whatever dark poo poo she's been doing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Gotta say, Evil Mum Theory is starting to make a lot of sense.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I assume that Mean Mom wanted to make a deal with organized crime to save the family fortune, but Cool Dad refused so she pushed him off the balcony during the attack, and did it anyway. Now Kate has to blow away both family and fortune for Justice.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Gotta say, Evil Mum Theory is starting to make a lot of sense.

There is basically no reality in which a millionaire security company heiress amassed her fortune through ethical contract negotiations and shrewd business acumen

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nameless Pete posted:

Man, it took me a minute to recognize Lalo Salamanca in a tuxedo.
I just came off of Better Call Saul S5 and it felt like I was hallucinating for a second.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

There is basically no reality in which a millionaire security company heiress amassed her fortune through ethical contract negotiations and shrewd business acumen

The app which reveals the location of literally ANYONE without sanctioning by law is incredibly tone-deaf it it's not supposed a hint of evil.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MiddleOne posted:

The app which reveals the location of literally ANYONE without sanctioning by law is incredibly tone-deaf it it's not supposed a hint of evil.

Yeah when Kate whipped that out and used it without any sort of passing comment was definitely an 'umm..' moment.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also just kind of refuse to believe that Hawkeye, both a former Avenger and a Shield Agent, would be caught dead using a civilian phone with a traceable SIM card. It’s like a totally contrived Mission: Impossible piece of sloppy writing. I would have been less offended if she used the dog as a bloodhound to track him.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

This is kinda the key. It's fair enough if people aren't enjoying the show, but a lot of the criticisms seem to be 'I'd like this way better if it was a totally different show with a different cast and story'. And whatever else this is, it's very much intended to be evoking the imagery and tone of a specific run on the comics, and introducing a specific very popular comics character in a way that has her feel consistent with the version on the page.
I've not read those comics and I'm loving this series. It's just wonderful so far. I like Kate. Can't fathom why people wouldn't aside from her being rich, which, fair, though to me it reads more like a Disney Princess flick like Little Mermaid or Brave where the privileged girl doesn't enjoy her background one bit and it's used to control her.

Really digging the Shane Black Marvel Christmas vibe being used again after it was so effective in Iron Man 3.

Here's hoping it sticks the landing. The D+ shows have been struggling with that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It probably goes without saying that the final episode of Hawkeye is going to introduce the real villain in the final act and I’m already gonna hate it lol

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

I also just kind of refuse to believe that Hawkeye, both a former Avenger and a Shield Agent, would be caught dead using a civilian phone with a traceable SIM card. It’s like a totally contrived Mission: Impossible piece of sloppy writing. I would have been less offended if she used the dog as a bloodhound to track him.

I kind of bought it. At this point Clint Barton isn't Hawkeye or an Agent of SHIELD. He is/was a dude taking his kids for Christmas in New York. He's not going to do that with spy gear and trick arrows. He's out of that life so he doesn't want to carry around any paraphernalia from it. So, he carries around a regular phone now.

Another part of it is world-weary overconfidence. He's fought Thanos. And Aliens. And robots. The Tracksuit Mafia is not something he considers to be a threat. I thought his general unspoken position when he let himself be captured was "Let me talk to your boss and settle this diplomatically. Or I'll just kill every last one of you and settle it that way."

And/or maybe Bishop Security has some really next-level tracking software that can beat "untraceable" SIM cards. Also at some point Clint's Phone does need to be usable as a phone, so it does need to be "detectable" when he's trying to call somebody or if he wants somebody (like Kate if need be) to call him. She literally has his number, so it makes sense that she can use his phone to track him.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

MiddleOne posted:

Remember when the Avengers used the magic phone tapping tool from the Dark Knight to instantly find Loki? You might not because the film definitely didn't think about it for a single second!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Bust Rodd posted:

There is also basically no reality in which Vera Farmiga is playing the "supportive, totally not suspicious" mom in a Marvel series. This ain't Linda Cardellini.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, but the counterpoint is that DUNC did the same and outperformed SS by quite a bit.

Dunc was basically a foreign fillm right? It was released overseas like a normal movie before it got the simultanious release.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Mom runs a PMC firm, and her daughter got to hack a super hero's phone because of it.
Of course she's some sort of villain. And that it was obvious to everyone but Kate should be a plot point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Dunc was basically a foreign fillm right? It was released overseas like a normal movie before it got the simultanious release.

I thought that was only in Venice for the film festival.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Everyone posted:

I kind of bought it. At this point Clint Barton isn't Hawkeye or an Agent of SHIELD. He is/was a dude taking his kids for Christmas in New York. He's not going to do that with spy gear and trick arrows. He's out of that life so he doesn't want to carry around any paraphernalia from it. So, he carries around a regular phone now.

Another part of it is world-weary overconfidence. He's fought Thanos. And Aliens. And robots. The Tracksuit Mafia is not something he considers to be a threat. I thought his general unspoken position when he let himself be captured was "Let me talk to your boss and settle this diplomatically. Or I'll just kill every last one of you and settle it that way."

And/or maybe Bishop Security has some really next-level tracking software that can beat "untraceable" SIM cards. Also at some point Clint's Phone does need to be usable as a phone, so it does need to be "detectable" when he's trying to call somebody or if he wants somebody (like Kate if need be) to call him. She literally has his number, so it makes sense that she can use his phone to track him.

Also Clint literally had a flip phone. He's not someone who's that tech savvy. He probably doesn't even think about this stuff. Clint seems less a spy and more an assassin. All the skills we've seen him use are directly connected to him getting into place for the perfect shot. Nat was clearly the one that was the spy.

But yea, its glaringly obvious that somethings not right with Mom Bishop, that her company isn't on the up and up, and you're meant to think that. Plus her outfit at the Gala was totally a supervillain outfit. It made me think of, oh whats that villains name? Its not the hood, but its a woman who dresses all in red?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

all's I know is that something better happen, and fast!

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. I find the accusations of cheapness weird because if you want cheap shoot in Georgia or Toronto. Shooting onsite in NYC is not cheap.Its a union town

I’ve only watched the first episode, but the action is pretty awful. The stunt work itself seems fine, but none of it connects into anything interesting. This is a real problem because the amount of time spent on it suggests this is an action show. It’s like a musical with broadway production values and amateur singers.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 27, 2021

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is the next episode in a week or two weeks?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Mage_Boy posted:

With all the hints leading to the new step-father being the villain, overall started to look at Kate's mother instead. Now I'm wondering: we saw the mother and father arguing over money and then the alien attack happens and we know the father is dead from the funeral. Could this be Kate's mother finding a way to make sure he dies for life insurance? They did never show him die.

The fiance is Swordsman, the guy who trained Clint, right?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

10 Beers posted:

The fiance is Swordsman, the guy who trained Clint, right?

That's my guess. The MCU version, anyway. Given the weapon talent and the relationship to (a)/Hawkeye?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AJA posted:

That's my guess. The MCU version, anyway. Given the weapon talent and the relationship to (a)/Hawkeye?

I don't know that it'll be the same relationship at the least, since Renner is 50 while Tony Dalton is 46 and their characters reflect that rough age; so him having trained Renner's character would be slightly weird. They might be contemporaries or allies, rather than one having taught the other.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is the next episode in a week or two weeks?

It's listed as December 1st

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

tsob posted:

I don't know that it'll be the same relationship at the least, since Renner is 50 while Tony Dalton is 46 and their characters reflect that rough age; so him having trained Renner's character would be slightly weird. They might be contemporaries or allies, rather than one having taught the other.

No, not the same at all (and also, hopefully no giant fin on his head!). And while the comics version was instrumental in Barton/Hawkeye's origin, this one may do the same for Kate/Hawkeye.

And, who knows. Maybe the mom turns out to be The Swordsman, instead! :aaa:

...or they're Mephisto, whatever, you never know

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The writers will be idiots if they don't at least make a reference to someone being Mephisto in the next season of what if.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zil posted:

The writers will be idiots if they don't at least make a reference to someone being Mephisto in the next season of what if.

By then Mephisto will have already been in No Way Home so they won't need to. :hai: