Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I looked on Amazon (us) and couldn't find it. There's some listed for sale from Germany but the price would be absurd for what it is. I'd happily just buy a copy if I could find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

armorer posted:

Thanks, so really just two decks of cards and a bunch of dice would be sufficient to proxy everything. Is there anything else to the expansion besides the 100k cards?

the expansion is many variants you can mix and match into the game, but none require components beyond more cards or more dice.

the rules are here:

https://www.ravensburger.de/content...oulevard_EN.pdf

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
For the kids, can I suggest King of Tokyo? You roll dice and you're a giant monster fighting other giant monster, what's not to like? You could even take out the powerup cards to simplify it a bit further.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I played King of Tokyo with my nephews and they did love it. Actually, they loved it so much that playing it for hours multiple days in a row is now one of my boardgaming circles of hell.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Infinitum posted:

:chanpop:

Good thinking 99

I quite like this sort of deck box, personally. They're always out of stock most places though, annoyingly.
Are there any simple/plain ones that other people recommend, by any chance? They always come in handy, for me.

EDIT:

Llyranor posted:

I played King of Tokyo with my nephews and they did love it. Actually, they loved it so much that playing it for hours multiple days in a row is now one of my boardgaming circles of hell.

Yeah, King of Tokyo is good fun. Sadly though, I've been banned from playing it by my friend's group, so I haven't played it in well over a year! :D (I'm too lucky - it seriously pisses everyone else off)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Llyranor posted:

Hours, multiple days in row? So got through what 2 or 3 full games!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bottom Liner posted:

I have a long card case with the following in it:

Race for the Galaxy
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
The Resistance
Skull
Arboretum
The Crew
High Society
Lost Cities: Rivals
Hanabi
The Fox in the Forest
Battle Line
Battlecon
Air Land & Sea

Pretty great to keep in the car or travel with and covers a lot of bases.

found a picture of my deck box thing. it's an Arkhive from Ultra Pro. Really well made and can be found for like $25 on sale.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

For the kids, can I suggest King of Tokyo? You roll dice and you're a giant monster fighting other giant monster, what's not to like? You could even take out the powerup cards to simplify it a bit further.

Holy poo poo, the 8-year-old is obsessed with Godzilla to the point that he watches the original Japanese movies and begs his dad to go down to the arcade that has Rampage. This is the perfect find; thanks a ton!

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Xotl posted:

Holy poo poo, the 8-year-old is obsessed with Godzilla to the point that he watches the original Japanese movies and begs his dad to go down to the arcade that has Rampage. This is the perfect find; thanks a ton!

There is also a boardgame called Terror in Meeple City (previously known as Rampage)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xotl posted:

Happy to help! There is a sequel game called King of New York, but on the whole that is a tad more complicated so I'd suggest getting Tokyo.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Happy to help! There is a sequel game called King of New York, but on the whole that is a tad more complicated so I'd suggest getting Tokyo.

I was just about to say this: KoNY is just a few notches up on the complexity (and has this slight feel that all the good ideas were used in the first game) so stay with the original

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah KoNY feels like it's complicating a game that should remain simple.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Llyranor posted:

My 5yo loves KoT, I try to hide it lol.

Edit: And Machi Koro.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My niece loved King of Tokyo when she was around 7 or 8 and would play it all the time with her parents. She got remarkably good at it, which is unusual for a game that's mostly about dice rolling. I swaggered up like a guy who plays board games all the time and was the first eliminated due to hubris.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey thread, I'm looking for some helping deciding on a purchase. A friend of mine who's currently visiting Spain offered to bring me some board games from there. I decided to limit myself to four things (due to limited storage space + not wanting to spend a lot) and I've already chosen Jaipur, Patchwork and Coloretto. Here's what I have, in case there are any must-haves I should consider picking up given my tastes:

7 Wonders Duel + Pantheon
Jaipur
Patchwork
Cartographers
Coloretto
Coup
Gloomhaven + JotL + FC
Pictomania
Sushi Go Party
Kemet
Azul
6 Nimnt
Villages of Valeria
Steampunk Rally
Codenames + Duet
Kingdomino
Little Town
Wits & Wagers

I really like tableau building, tile laying and stuff where you roll dice and then choose what to do with them. I'm open to any recommendations, preferably games are under €50 and that don't need expansions to fix any glaring issues or anything. I was considering Castles of Burgundy (Anniversary Edition) since I've been thinking about getting a middleweight euro for a while now, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Azran fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 26, 2021

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Azran posted:

Hey thread, I'm looking for some helping deciding on a purchase. A friend of mine who's currently visiting Spain offered to bring me some board games from there. I decided to limit myself to four things (due to limited storage space + not wanting to spend a lot) and I've already chosen Jaipur, Patchwork and Coloretto. Here's what I have, in case there are any must-haves I should consider picking up given my tastes:

Jaipur
Patchwork
Cartographers
Coloretto
Coup
Gloomhaven + JotL + FC
Pictomania
Sushi Go Party
Kemet
Azul
6 Nimnt
Villages of Valeria
Steampunk Rally
Codenames + Duet
Kingdomino
Little Town
Wits & Wagers

I really like tableau building, tile laying and stuff where you roll dice and then choose what to do with them. I'm open to any recommendations, preferably games are under €50 and that don't need expansions to fix any glaring issues or anything. I was considering Castles of Burgundy (Anniversary Edition) since I've been thinking about getting a middleweight euro for a while now, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Roll for the Galaxy seems like an obvious, dead-simple recommendation. Great game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Does anyone know if the band Sabaton are fash? Scribabs have followed up Armata Strigoi with a Sabaton game called A Battle Through History that sounds like fun, but I want to check before I spend money on it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

Does anyone know if the band Sabaton are fash? Scribabs have followed up Armata Strigoi with a Sabaton game called A Battle Through History that sounds like fun, but I want to check before I spend money on it.

As far as I know they're not. Mostly they're really into war motifs for their lyrics.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

Roll for the Galaxy seems like an obvious, dead-simple recommendation. Great game.

Oooh, that's a good one! Sadly from what I see on Amazon Spain it's pretty expensive (about 60 euros). Will keep an eye out though.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Steampunk Rally is probably a good second choice for your interests. Lots of good games on your list, but that is the one that immediately hits your suggested buttons

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Res Arcana is pretty much the next best thing to Race/Roll and maybe even a better choice for your likes.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 26, 2021

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Azran posted:

Jaipur
Patchwork
Cartographers
Coloretto
Coup
Gloomhaven + JotL + FC
Pictomania
Sushi Go Party
Kemet
Azul
6 Nimnt
Villages of Valeria
Steampunk Rally
Codenames + Duet
Kingdomino
Little Town
Wits & Wagers

On the lighter side I'd say Biblios, Battle Line, Decrypto are all worth checking out. Innovation I'll throw into the mix with the disclaimer that many (myself include) say to ignore the box and consider it a 2-player only game, it's chaotic and sometimes mean as hell, and it's unlike anything else you've probably ever played and you'll either love it to death or hate it with a passion.

Roll for the Galaxy is a good suggestion I'll also throw in Race for the Galaxy its cousin.

Finally Summoner Wars 2nd Edition since you seem to be enjoying 2p games with someone and it's a good step up if you like controlling hordes of factions and chucking dice.

Can't think of a great midweight Euro to recommend ATM but you really can't go wrong with Castles, though that might be a bit dated by now.

Finally I'll mention Wavelength if the main conceit sounds interesting to you and you just can't get enough of party gaming.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pvt. Parts posted:

Roll for the Galaxy is a good suggestion I'll also throw in Race for the Galaxy its cousin.

Seconding both, and New Frontiers, its boardgamey cousin, is also fantastic.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Azran posted:

Jaipur
Patchwork
Cartographers
Coloretto
Coup
Gloomhaven + JotL + FC
Pictomania
Sushi Go Party
Kemet
Azul
6 Nimnt
Villages of Valeria
Steampunk Rally
Codenames + Duet
Kingdomino
Little Town
Wits & Wagers

Haven't seen them mentioned them in a while and not sure if they're still in print but I'd recommend Suburbia and The Flow of History.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bellmaker posted:

Haven't seen them mentioned them in a while and not sure if they're still in print but I'd recommend Suburbia and The Flow of History.

Didn't Suburbia just get a fancy re-print with updated art and everything? I really love it. Might as well shill Castles of Mad King Ludwig while on the subject. Truly a cozy experience building your wacky castles.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, everybody. You're the best :)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Jedit posted:

No. I can only imagine what some of their fans are like, since they deal with a lot of nationalistic events and the world wars. But they've stated they're only history buffs. They've done songs about German U-boats, Soviet tank victories, Polish volunteers in the RAF and 17th century swedish conquests.

Without understanding the mechanics, it does look cool and concept sounds fun.

Speaking of the Race for the Galaxy family, how is Beta Colony?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Speaking of the Race for the Galaxy family, how is Beta Colony?

It's not a Lehman design, so I don't think it's in the family.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

No. I can only imagine what some of their fans are like, since they deal with a lot of nationalistic events and the world wars. But they've stated they're only history buffs. They've done songs about German U-boats, Soviet tank victories, Polish volunteers in the RAF and 17th century swedish conquests.

Without understanding the mechanics, it does look cool and concept sounds fun.

I'm willing to believe that, as Par Sundstrom from the band is credited as a co-designer. One of the cards I know to exist is the Tru'ng Sisters, who were military rulers of Vietnam in the 1st century CE, so I'm guessing his contribution was naming the card pool. And including the Tru'ngs doesn't sound like something your typical fash would do.

The concept is never going to be as hilariously outlandish as Armata Strigoi, but I do like the idea of a deckbuilder where you can steal cards from other players but they can make tactical withdrawals to make attacking them harder or less profitable. Unfortunately the first run is sold out so it'll be January before I can get a copy.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bottom Liner posted:

It... doesn't look like anyone designed it at all.

:wtc:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

gschmidl posted:

It... doesn't look like anyone designed it at all.

:wtc:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh wow, I must have gotten it mixed up somehow. In my mind I had seen images on bgg with the iconography from RftG and read on Rio Grande Games how it took place in the same universe.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That seems like an insult to Ian O'Toole, who knows what a circle is.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nothing much, what's a lacerda with you?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh speaking of, there is a new Lacerda/O'Toole/Eagle game up on KS atm with 3 weeks to go (if peeps were not aware)

Weather Machine

This is a pretty good watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuN64CHvLg

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Any good boardgames for two on mobile?
Squire for hire looks neat

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hi! I’m looking for a recommendation for a complicated co-op board game. Like something between Gloomhaven and Pandemic, for 2 players mainly. We like engine building games and automata modes as well.

I guess I also found in various lists these games:

Forbidden Island
Robinson Crusoe
TIME stories
The Captain is Dead
Under Falling Skies (not sure how this is co-op but people say it’s fun)

Any of those that are particularly complex and interesting?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Hi! I’m looking for a recommendation for a complicated co-op board game. Like something between Gloomhaven and Pandemic, for 2 players mainly. We like engine building games and automata modes as well.

Forbidden Island
Robinson Crusoe
TIME stories
The Captain is Dead

I can't speak to your list but Spirit Island is very much "something between Gloomhaven and Pandemic".

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

tuyop posted:

Any solo game is coop if you discuss decisions together. Or split the work/decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

tuyop posted:

Forbidden Island
Robinson Crusoe
TIME stories
The Captain is Dead

TIME Stories is modular (white arc: one story comes with the base game, more are extra; blue arc: each is standalone, I think) and is more or less a CYOA.