Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Runcible Cat posted:

Andy Serkis' reading of it was a great disappointment; dude is an amazing physical actor but he really doesn't get the rhythm of the prose at all. The Hobbit is written to be read out loud, but... he just can't.

That reminds me that I really need to relisten to the BBC audio plays of TH and LotR (with Ian Holm as Frodo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Runcible Cat posted:

Andy Serkis' reading of it was a great disappointment; dude is an amazing physical actor but he really doesn't get the rhythm of the prose at all. The Hobbit is written to be read out loud, but... he just can't.

That's too bad, his screwtape letters is pretty good but maybe that one plays more to his silly voices strengths

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Zopotantor posted:

That reminds me that I really need to relisten to the BBC audio plays of TH and LotR (with Ian Holm as Frodo).

I tried to poke into them last year but wasn't digging the tone. Felt too goofy. I should give em a second shot.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zopotantor posted:

Ah, memories. I listened to these years ago on CD when I had a corneal abrasion and had to sit with my eyes closed in the dark for most of two days. They made a lovely time less lovely. And it made it really weird to see Ian Holm as Bilbo when the PJ movies came out.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, when he read the hobbit aloud online for charity last year I was distinctly underwhelmed by his delivery.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Is it worth reading the children of hurin if I’ve already read the version in unfinished tales? Is there like, substantially more content there or is it just unfinished tales+published Silmarillion?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ogmius815 posted:

Is it worth reading the children of hurin if I’ve already read the version in unfinished tales? Is there like, substantially more content there or is it just unfinished tales+published Silmarillion?

It's just Unfinished Tales + bits and pieces from elsewhere in the legendarium to fill in the gaps at the end, published as a standalone book.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
It's always worth reading Children of Hurin imo. I've read it once a year for the past 13 years just about. :v:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Why is children of hurin in the book titled unfinished tales when the story is finished? Checkmate Liberals.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ogmius815 posted:

absolutely

it's basically a proper novel written from the notes published earlier

and if you're into audiobooks, it's read by christopher lee

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Flakey posted:

It's always worth reading Children of Hurin imo. I've read it once a year for the past 13 years just about. :v:

I read it earlier this year. It's a pretty cool read.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I re-read CoH again earlier this year, for the first time in probably 5-6 years. It's a great book, though it can be heavy going in the first couple of chapters since it throws a lot of names at you (both people and places).

I can't speak to how different it is from the Unfinished Tales version, as I've never read that one.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Is there like a chart that shows the differences between the different published versions of Hurin’s Kids?

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Hurin’s Kids

Round Trip
Ring King

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Jewellery Wars

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

indiscriminately posted:

King of the Ring

I was so pumped when Bret The Hitman Hart put the Sharpshooter on Sauron to win the 1993 tournament

The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.vulture.com/2021/11/the-beatles-lord-of-the-rings-movie-that-could-have-been.html

quote:

While doing press for his Disney+ Beatles docuseries Get Back, LOTR impresario Peter Jackson explained to the BBC that the Beatles really wanted to make a Lord of the Rings movie, but were stymied by the series’ author J.R.R. Tolkien. “I’ve been scraping together little pieces of information. I’ve been interrogating Paul about it. Ringo doesn’t remember much,” he said. According to Jackson, the Beatles were introduced to Middle Earth by the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who gave copies of The Lord of the Rings to every member of the band (except Ringo, for some reason). 3/4 of the Beatles read the book while studying meditation in India, then pursued the film rights via Apple film producer Denis O’Dell.

Had the Beatles gotten the rights, the rumored casting would have been absolutely unhinged. Paul would have been Frodo, Ringo would have played potato-loving Samwise Gamgee, and the uber-mystical George would have been a natural fit for Gandalf. And John …John would have played Gollum.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 1, 2021

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Wow dodged a loving bullet there eh?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Flakey posted:

Wow dodged a loving bullet there eh?

What? That would have ruled

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tolkien's Middle-Earth: except Ringo, for some reason

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was illiterate iirc.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Yoko as Galadriel or bust

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
*sighs* Maureen Cox dancin'!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
https://twitter.com/FriendlyGrond/status/1465709795256594445

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
A bit off topic, but I'm running a GURPs game set in Middle Earth and have lost a player. If you like Lord of the Rings and Isekai stories, PM me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay I've decided to move on from my years long hatred of the movies for depicting the Pelennor Girls as a flat, featureless plain, and start a new chapter in my life of hating the movies for their depiction of the scene where Gandalf wakes up Theoden.

What the gently caress?? This changes things in so many awful ways. Why was this a smart choice? Why do people like these movies?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Okay I've decided to move on from my years long hatred of the movies for depicting the Pelennor Girls as a flat, featureless plain,

Hate that look, too. Wish they all could be California Girls, amiright? :wiggle:

:D :D

AJA fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 17, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Okay I've decided to move on from my years long hatred of the movies for depicting the Pelennor Girls as a flat, featureless plain, and start a new chapter in my life of hating the movies for their depiction of the scene where Gandalf wakes up Theoden.

What the gently caress?? This changes things in so many awful ways. Why was this a smart choice? Why do people like these movies?

no idea. the movies are dumb

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The movies are cool. They're just very different from the books. The books are better in most ways, but the movies have different goals.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The movies own, actually

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The books own
The movies own
Deal with it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don't ask me, I only like the music. And the actors were good with what they were given. Oh what I wouldn't give for Christopher Lee to have played Saruman with half the depth he had in the books... Still my fave Tolkien villain.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

galagazombie posted:

The books own
The movies own
Deal with it.

This person gets it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

galagazombie posted:

The books own
The movies own
Deal with it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

Don't ask me, I only like the music. And the actors were good with what they were given. Oh what I wouldn't give for Christopher Lee to have played Saruman with half the depth he had in the books... Still my fave Tolkien villain.

Do those movies ever stop playing the damned music? I swear they lean on their soundtrack even harder than Star Wars. I'm not sure there's more than like 5 minutes of film where there isn't music playing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of all the complaints I've heard about the movies, this is the first time I've heard that one.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

Really? The over-the-top heroic music bursts ruin a lot of scenes for me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s widely considered one of the best movie scores lamo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Star Wars needs that big Korngoldy score blaring away or everything it tried to do would pretty much fall flat. That guy who does the overdub youtube videos of Star Wars characters saying/singing weird poo poo did a version of the throne room scene from the end of A New Hope without music. It’s taking the piss obviously but it’s also very instructive of the way Williams’ score props up the movies. And the way they wrote the LOTR movies, they were right to do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The hobbit leitmotif is like … perfect