Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

doomisland posted:

It would be against the very nature of a goon to not discuss book comparisons and spoilers in a tv thread.

this is why there are new threads…so that next time we have a chance to post better…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

Also they do have those massive dogs as protection to scare people away

Also, if you've got a caravan of 200 people and the dogs start barking and you scatter, it's unlikely that a couple of bandits will get more than a few of you. So unless there's a large actual military operation to get them all, there's always going to be someone to carry on.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

buffalo all day posted:

this is why there are new threads…so that next time we have a chance to post better…
The wheel of time turns, and threads come and go

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

How are u posted:

I really really wish folks would stop posting about the dang books in this thread. There is a whole separate thread just for that.

This episode ruled.

Was great to get a finally get episode that was strong from beginning to end

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

etalian posted:

Was great to get a finally get episode that was strong from beginning to end

I really liked Perrin and Ila's scenes especially. Just excellent character building.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

buffalo all day posted:

The forum doesn't want us to get better :colbert:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rarity posted:

The forum doesn't want us to get better :colbert:

the forum wheels as the forum wills

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I didn't read the books and never will. I am not going out of my way avoiding spoilered bookstuff as most of it just makes no sense to me anyway. But it's annoying that the discussions they spring make it harder to identify the posts that actually discuss the episodes. But that's just my take on it.

So... i wasn't as high on the new episode as most of you. The beginning was really great and the depiction of male magic (madness?) as entities on their own was unique. I didn't see anything like it on the woman-channelers. The self-proclaimed Dragon still seems to be cool and good with his plans how to use his powers. Well, he killed all the kings guards i suppose and after the talk the Sedai had between them, i would have bet he planned on being taken to Mage central and destroying it from the inside. So the blue mages are spies, the green warriors and can have multiple guardians and the red are some kind of mage-police? Ok. Bit disappointed in their fighting though after all the characters always talking how one mage could take down entire armies they for now get pretty constantly owned by bumrushing savages. Did all Maegi and their cohorts falter in the field after the one got killed in the cave or was that just a weird cinematography? Also what's up with Ninnaeve? She's magic, green but so not on board with the rest of the lot but seems to be about the strongest of them all. I guess Dragon-Man is now de-magicked? Shame.
I'm a bit disappointed in the faceless enemies. They for now just come of as cheap Nazgul knockoffs. Also, if Rand isn't the chosen one, they got me good. And can they start curing sick Matt please?

For the next episode i wish for some more interesting direction instead of "let's go to the castle" and (book readers may laugh at me now) less new people to learn. All i want to say i want a little less "work" and a little more "reward" while watching or i see myself slipping. And the show definitely isn't that bad.

bou fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 27, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I definitely get why show watchers would think that the AS aren't that dangerous given that 30 charging hobos on foot managed to overwhelm several of them and their warders. Logain's "army" was pathetic- for a show that costs 7 figures per episode you'd think they could get at least a hundred extras to run around in the grass and pretend to get blown up.

We're supposed to believe this baseball team overran an entire kingdom? Lol

I did think making the king a follower of Logain was really good though. Very clear way of demonstrating the disruptive power of even fake messiahs.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 27, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I definitely get why show watchers would think that the AS aren't that dangerous given that 30 charging hobos on foot managed to overwhelm several of them and their warders. Logain's "army" was pathetic- for a show that costs 7 figures per episode you'd think they could get at least a hundred extras to run around in the grass and pretend to get blown up.

I did think making the king a follower of Logain was really good though. Very clear way of demonstrating the disruptive power of even fake messiahs.

hah, it's eight figures

so you'd think that they could get more extras

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's issue #1 that I thought about when I heard they were adapting WoT. Just trying to cast even a tenth of the named characters in the series would make it the most expensive show of all time by orders of magnitude

Jordan creating a new character: "Her name is idk, Jeanna" *throws on the enormous pile*

Judkin: "poo poo that's YET ANOTHER casting call and SAG contract and ffuuuuu"

Never mind extras even

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you need a lore explanation to justify the production reality of the scene, Logain's army was broken a few days beforehand when he was captured so the guys doing the rescue attempt aren't necessarily representative of his full followers and is just the group they could gather in the chaos afterwards.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, they definitely should have postponed production for 5 years when Covid restrictions are lifted.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

don't worry, hundreds of people we're gathering for a throwaway fight scene, the weaves of the aes sedai will protect you from the airborne virus

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Yeah, they definitely should have postponed production for 5 years when Covid restrictions are lifted.

Nah, with as ragged and random as the attack was, they could have easily maintained social distancing with a couple hundred.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
As a non-booker I still don't have any idea who the dragon reborn is. Everyone seems to be dying, so it's all up in the air. There seems to be about 6 main characters so far, so. Someone blasting magic out of nowhere isn't any indication to me who it is, because all the characters seems to have weird abilities.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Nah, with as ragged and random as the attack was, they could have easily maintained social distancing with a couple hundred.

Foundation showrunner blamed the dumb Anacreon invasion scenes on only being allowed 60 people on set (let’s set aside the fact the writing was also dumb on that). This may be the same situation, wherein the studio’s (or maybe local government’s) rules don’t have an “unless you’re able to socially distance in a forest” exception. But all those extras would have to be staged somewhere, go through wardrobe, etc., so the mere fact that one part of the set has space to socially distance doesn’t mean all of it does.

Regardless, as chaotic as the battle was, the Aes Sedai decisively won it. A single woman went down and was immediately healed, and as far as we saw no warders died; against a whole army that doesn’t seem like an unsatisfactory outcome. The chaos was definitely played up to make it clear how overwhelmed and out of her element Nynaeve was though, and to help push her into the breakthrough she makes a few minutes later.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

its HIM posted:

Foundation showrunner blamed the dumb Anacreon invasion scenes on only being allowed 60 people on set (let’s set aside the fact the writing was also dumb on that). This may be the same situation, wherein the studio’s (or maybe local government’s) rules don’t have an “unless you’re able to socially distance in a forest” exception. But all those extras would have to be staged somewhere, go through wardrobe, etc., so the mere fact that one part of the set has space to socially distance doesn’t mean all of it does.

Regardless, as chaotic as the battle was, the Aes Sedai decisively won it. A single woman went down and was immediately healed, and as far as we saw no warders died; against a whole army that doesn’t seem like an unsatisfactory outcome. The chaos was definitely played up to make it clear how overwhelmed and out of her element Nynaeve was though, and to help push her into the breakthrough she makes a few minutes later.

She was able to prevent the dread party wipe situation during the boss fight.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

bou posted:

Also what's up with Ninnaeve? She's magic, green but so not on board with the rest of the lot but seems to be about the strongest of them all.

If you mean green like the Aes Sedai faction, she isn’t an Aes Sedai, so no.

I don’t think Nynaeve really had much of an idea that she had meaningful power. She told the story of the wisdom who raised her going to the Aes Sedai for training (and being rejected), so the idea that “listening to the wind” might involve the One Power is clearly on her mind… But based on what Moiraine later says to Egwene, these untrained Wisdoms seem to use it for little more than “predicting the weather” when they could actually have far more potential (everyone was impressed with Logain’s strength and Moiraine apparently thought Egwene was even more powerful).

Up until that last moment Nynaeve was a stubborn backwoods healer determined to save her friends from a bunch of powerful forces that she doesn’t trust.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The forest battle lacked scale, but they get a pass on things like that when it's their first season. I appreciate that they tried rather than do it off-screen.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

bou posted:

So the blue mages are spies, the green warriors and can have multiple guardians and the red are some kind of mage-police?
According to Liandrin...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The mage team seemed to have really lax security for their suck and gently caress campsite like zero sentries.

I doubt the dark one big bad is panicking

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

etalian posted:

The mage team seemed to have really lax security for their suck and gently caress campsite like zero sentries.

I doubt the dark one big bad is panicking

Kerene set up wards, which triggered and gave them warning that Logain's followers had found them.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

They way I understood was that the Aes Sedai were all exhausted trying to keep the shield up on Logain, so that's why they weren't able to completely wipe the floor with the Dragon's army.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

canepazzo posted:

They way I understood was that the Aes Sedai were all exhausted trying to keep the shield up on Logain, so that's why they weren't able to completely wipe the floor with the Dragon's army.

that actually literally is part of it, the handful of exceptionally strong aes sedai were on shield duty for logain because the others weren't powerful enough to handle it, and 2 of them immediately got blasted by logain the moment the camp got attacked so they were kind of immediately out of commission briefly

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I can definitely see how Nynaeve's coat would cause confusion with the colour-coded Aes Sedai, but drat if it does not look like the comfiest coat in the series.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pleads posted:

I can definitely see how Nynaeve's coat would cause confusion with the colour-coded Aes Sedai, but drat if it does not look like the comfiest coat in the series.

now that’s wisdom

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Rand coat supremacy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
They're both good coats.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
This season is just a subliminal advertisement for comfy wool clothes this winter.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the two rivers wool council's advertising strategy is working

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I Am Fowl posted:

They're both good coats.

This is Egwene coat erasure

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The coats are 100% my wife's favorite part of the show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Don't worry; if this is even half the success Amazon wants, you'll be able to buy really expensive replicas of both for several hundred dollars direct through the app by Christmas. And knock offs that look 75% accurate while being 10% of the price within a few months of that. That aside, I just noticed when looking at X-Ray earlier that there aren't just bonus animations and episode trivia, but also character bios. Which don't have a lot of new info, but there is some small bits there regardless. I found Liandrin's particularly interesting, just because it somewhat explains her demeanor:

Amazon Prime X-Ray posted:

Liandrin Guirale

Actress: Kate Fleetwood

Nationality: Taraboner
Talent: Channeling

Liandrin Sedai is an Aes Sedai of the Red Ajah. She grew up poor in Tarabon, but learned to imitate the mannerisms of the wealthy elite, to cover her low status. She joined the White Tower later than most girls, but was a quick learner. Liandrin is known for her dedication to her mission of hunting down male channelers and bringing them to the Tower to be gentled. She abhors the company of men, keeping no Warders, as is common for Red sisters.

There's also a little bit of background on Logain, Moiraine and Thom that isn't really a spoiler, since the show obviously doesn't mind you knowing it at this point in the story (or since episode one in Moiraine's case), but hasn't been mentioned yet, so some people may want to avoid just because it hasn't been in the show yet. Nothing particularly noteworthy or anything; just cities they're from and other minor details like that. It also explicitly confirms that Alanna, Ihvon and Maksim are a throuple.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

tsob posted:

It also explicitly confirms that Alanna, Ihvon and Maksim are a throuple.

Let's be fair, this was confirmed already. I saw the way those boys were canoodling!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There were clearly booty calls ending the campfire banter.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

bou posted:

I didn't read the books and never will. I am not going out of my way avoiding spoilered bookstuff as most of it just makes no sense to me anyway. But it's annoying that the discussions they spring make it harder to identify the posts that actually discuss the episodes. But that's just my take on it.

So... i wasn't as high on the new episode as most of you. The beginning was really great and the depiction of male magic (madness?) as entities on their own was unique. I didn't see anything like it on the woman-channelers. The self-proclaimed Dragon still seems to be cool and good with his plans how to use his powers. Well, he killed all the kings guards i suppose and after the talk the Sedai had between them, i would have bet he planned on being taken to Mage central and destroying it from the inside. So the blue mages are spies, the green warriors and can have multiple guardians and the red are some kind of mage-police? Ok. Bit disappointed in their fighting though after all the characters always talking how one mage could take down entire armies they for now get pretty constantly owned by bumrushing savages. Did all Maegi and their cohorts falter in the field after the one got killed in the cave or was that just a weird cinematography? Also what's up with Ninnaeve? She's magic, green but so not on board with the rest of the lot but seems to be about the strongest of them all. I guess Dragon-Man is now de-magicked? Shame.
I'm a bit disappointed in the faceless enemies. They for now just come of as cheap Nazgul knockoffs. Also, if Rand isn't the chosen one, they got me good. And can they start curing sick Matt please?

For the next episode i wish for some more interesting direction instead of "let's go to the castle" and (book readers may laugh at me now) less new people to learn. All i want to say i want a little less "work" and a little more "reward" while watching or i see myself slipping. And the show definitely isn't that bad.

The Red is specifically male-mage police because male channelers go insane due to the male half of the one power being tainted. I only remember one Red sister getting killed by Logain's army, the one Green that stayed behind cleaned up. Since Red sisters focus on capturing male channelers they aren't as trained against traditional arms as the Green are and they mention that the sisters are drained from having to take turns shielding Logain. You're gonna get a lot of proper nouns thrown at you, but I think the tv people are doing a good job so far so they'll figure out how to handle that I imagine.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

bou posted:

Bit disappointed in their fighting though after all the characters always talking how one mage could take down entire armies they for now get pretty constantly owned by bumrushing savages. Did all Maegi and their cohorts falter in the field after the one got killed in the cave or was that just a weird cinematography?

I don't recall them saying one Aes Sedai could defeat an entire army; just that no army could get through 7 full Sisters. Which they couldn't. They didn't even get through 4 really, because Kerene and Liandrin were inside the cave guarding Logain, and Moiraine immediately leaves to go talk to Logain knowing that he'll have escaped his shielding. So there are only 4 Aes Sedai in the field. Alanna's last attack also seemed to basically destroy whatever was left of them, because no-one who comes into the cave afterward is bothered about anyone chasing them.

Also, it's not so much weird cinematography as meant to indicate that Stepin specifically, Kerene's Warder, felt her death. No-one else felt it, and even in the cave, Moiraine and Liandrin continue on after seeing her die. Liandrin is angry, and nearly burns herself out trying to suppress Logain, hence Moiraine's warning that Liandrin is drawing too much power, and why there was yellow light starting to glow under her skin before the other Aes Sedai arrive to support them. They don't actually stop trying to shield him though, or even lose a beat in the effort.

Reik posted:

The Red is specifically male-mage police because male channelers go insane due to the male half of the one power being tainted. I only remember one Red sister getting killed by Logain's army, the one Green that stayed behind cleaned up. Since Red sisters focus on capturing male channelers they aren't as trained against traditional arms as the Green are and they mention that the sisters are drained from having to take turns shielding Logain. You're gonna get a lot of proper nouns thrown at you, but I think the tv people are doing a good job so far so they'll figure out how to handle that I imagine.

The show seems to have re-jiggered the Red Ajah a little so that they're also rules sticklers and the Ajah concentrating on enforcing the Tower's laws within the Aes Sedai going off the trivia. I believe there might be another slight difference to in that I think the books specify that Reds never take Warders, while the show notes just seem to imply it's unusual but not actually forbidden or anything. That said, the one Red Sister that's hit by two arrows is healed by another Green Aes Sedai a moment later, so no Aes Sedai actually die and they all convene to make a circle and Gentle Logain at the end.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 27, 2021

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Moiraine's channeling has big "i'm so cool" energy that none of the other channeling seems to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

tsob posted:

I don't recall them saying one Aes Sedai could defeat an entire army; just that no army could get through 7 full Sisters.

I really wish there was somewhere that showed the faces and names of the TV cast instead of poorly drawn fan art that looks completely terrible.

Ep 5.
When Moiraine arrived at the camp she mentioned to the woman who healed her why she was so weak after a simple healing spell, because she has defeated entire armies by herself. When that was mentioned I pretty much thought they were walking nukes on the battlefield at that point.