Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Grape posted:

Either you're saying camoseven (a person with an 05 regdate) is a teen, or you're extremely confused lol.

My parents got me this account when I was 2 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I want vore Thanksgiving guy to be vore powerpoint kid all grown up.

Would explain why he's not having it with any family.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

camoseven posted:

My parents got me this account when I was 2 years old

I (45M) got my son (2) an SomethingAwful account for his birthday.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

The bigger red flag to me is the apparently huge numbers of people getting married at 18/19. My assumption is religion.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I dress up as a pumpkin and squat amongst the other pumpkins, waiting, hard as a rock. My wife wanders the rows of gourds, looking for the perfect pumpkin for her pumpkin pie. Oh, let it be me. Let her bake me and eat me with whipped cream. God, please, I'm so loving ready I'm gonna b

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I also don’t get the vore thing. At what point is he having sex???

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Upgrade posted:

The bigger red flag to me is the apparently huge numbers of people getting married at 18/19. My assumption is religion.

Disney movies and romcoms

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Upgrade posted:

It’s probably more of a socioeconomic thing. I’m from a hella religious area that is more well off and no one got married until after college.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Upgrade posted:

Or you got knocked up in highschool.

A friend in highschool had a marriage announcement the day after graduation. I didn't even know she was that close to her boyfriend. A few months later there was an announcement she gave birth, so I'm guessing that.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

mind the walrus posted:

Reminds me of all the hospital patients I've cared for who, for one reason or another, couldn't speak. I'd ask them to write down. They always acted like it was the biggest insult and indignity despite me having no judgment on their circumstances and a simple desire to know wtf they wanted. When we did get a verbally compromised patient willing to use alternate communication means, I went so so far out of my way to make sure they got anything they drat well asked for.

God drat some people are prideful morons. When I woke up in the hospital after getting shot I found my mouth was wired shut and I couldn't talk to people it took me maybe an hour before I was miming "Get me a pen and paper." I eventually learned how to talk that way after a month or so but I still used a pen and paper at times because it was hard for some people to understand me.

Hell, a day or two after I was shot a colonel came into my room with his Sergent-Major and told me if there is anything I need just ask. I thought for a couple of seconds and wrote down "Promote me." They passed that around, getting a good laugh, before the colonel said "Sure. I think you've earned it."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Ethiser posted:

It’s probably more of a socioeconomic thing. I’m from a hella religious area that is more well off and no one got married until after college.

That is the linkage between innercity and hinterlands if anything else.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
WIBTA if I tell my oldest sister her fiancé is cheating with our other sister?

quote:

Hello. I will try to make this as good as possible but English is not my first language and I’m using autocorrect so if anything is wrong I’m sorry.

So I (16f) have two older sisters: A(27) B(22).

I was walking home from school on thursday. On the way I stopped by A’s home to return a shirt I had used for halloween. (Very late I know) I was wearing headphones so I didn’t hear anything. When I went into the bedroom to put her shirt in the closet I saw my sisters fiancé (C) and my other sister B having sex on the bed. They saw me to and all of us panicked and just stood still. Then my sister started yelling and I got out of there as fast as I could and run home. My sister called me and said I couldn’t tell A anything but I told her I would. But now both B and C are calling nonstop that I should not say anything because I will ruin Christmas.

My family usually do a very big Christmas with all the grandparents and cousins and aunts/uncles etc. We could not see each other last year and this can be my grandfathers last Christmas because he is very old and sick. I don’t want to ruin things. My boyfriend says I should tell A and I feel like I should but I also don’t want to ruin Christmas and make everybody sad. WIBTA if I told my sister?

I hope everything was understandable.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Piell posted:

Wrap a present for A, put it under the tree

I side the present is a note saying you saw her fiancee having sex with your other sister

Sit back and watch the best Christmas movie ever play out live in your living room

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Piell posted:

Lot's of opportunity for an unscrupulous actor here. She could get cash, or who knows what else to keep that secret.

Or she could just go for the entertainment of watching it all burn down by telling.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

AnoHito posted:

In America, it’s Very Normal to have kids sometime in your 20s. A bunch of you are just weird olds.

I don't understand how anyone in their 20s affords kids. My parents were in their 20s when they had me, and the same is true of nearly all my peers. But things are changing and people are delaying parenthood. It's a thing. I'm not the first to notice that people in their 20s are less likely to have kids than they used to and people in their 30s and 40s are more likely than they used to.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 27, 2021

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Affording to have kids early in life is certainly possible if you've got a big family and a job to take a lot of the financial stress out of it.

I've got a massive family so my wife and I never had to buy any clothes/furniture. Also weren't hurting for grandma's and grandpa's to watch the kids. And as much as the military sucks they do pay all the medical bills.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Piell posted:

Sister A has every right to know and should be told first chance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
OP has to come back with, no you ruined Christmas.
And when yelled at, just needs to say, you know how I am.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The few people I know in white America have had children in their 20s have adopted the Asian multigenerational family thing. Soon everyone will realize how cool it is to live with your parents!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Some years ago, my ex-friend's sister was the first of the five kids to have a baby. Her mom was thrilled, and then upset because it was 13 years since they had had a baby in the family. The youngest kid was just about 13.

Mom was so desperate for grandbabies, but threw a shitfit when the second oldest girl in the family was caught with birth control. Sex is bad, but grandbabies are good.

AITA for telling my parents that they're babying my younger brother?

quote:

I (14M) am the 3rd kid out of 6. I have 2 older half-siblings and 3 younger full-siblings. That isn't really important here though.

This whole conflict started when I was in the kitchen with my younger brother J (9M, also the youngest sibling) and he asked me to grab him a cup from the cabinet so he could get some juice. Okay, no problem, he can't reach the cabinet yet. I grab him the cup, and he gets his juice. The he tries to walk away without putting away the juice.

I stopped J and said "What are you doing? You have to put the juice back in the fridge so it stays good." and he told me to do it instead. I said "No, you're the one who got the juice, you need to be responsible and put it away."

J yelled and said I was being mean, and our Dad came in and told me to just put the drat juice away and stop causing problems.

Later in that day, I was getting ready to take J and my other sisters K and E and their friends to the park, and J asked me to put his shoes on him and tie them for him. I was honestly shocked. I told him no, and that he should know how to do that himself, he's nine years old. He told me that he never learned how to tie his shoes, so I sat hum down and tried to teach him how to do it so he doesn't have to ask people to do it for him.

He ignored me and whined to our Mom that I wasn't putting his shoes on him, and Mom yelled at me and told me to just do it.

There have been multiple instances where things like this have happened, and the rest of my siblings (ages ranging from 11-18) and I agree that J is lacking the basic skills a 9 year old needs to be a functioning person, such as basic hygiene (he can do things like shower and brush his teeth, but it's more of an issue that he doesn't know when or how often to do these things) and being able to grab himself simple things to eat (not something that would be cooked on the stove, more like a bowl of cereal or heating up leftovers in the microwave). All of us could do those things before we were 9.

I told my parents this and said that I think they're babying J. They yelled at me and said that I'm not the parent and to mind my own business. They're right, I'm not the parent, but they're not really acting like parents either. My siblings and I have had to teach him how to do basic things like pouring cereal or putting on his sheos, things that the parents should be teaching him to do. AITA for telling them that they're babying him?

Edit: I get that they may be tired after raising 5 other children together, but that's no excuse to basically throw raising the last child upon the older siblings. I'm only 5 years older than him, and my younger sisters are 2 and 4 years older. My older siblings are 7 and 9 years older than J. We can help out here and there, but we shouldn't have to teach him these things ourselves and basically parent him for our parents.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Affording to have kids early in life is certainly possible if you've got a big family and a job to take a lot of the financial stress out of it.

I've got a massive family so my wife and I never had to buy any clothes/furniture. Also weren't hurting for grandma's and grandpa's to watch the kids. And as much as the military sucks they do pay all the medical bills.

There's also a lot of wiggle room in what it means to be able to "afford" having kids, too. A lot of the difference between people that have kids early and people that have kids late (or don't have kids at all) is less about the actual economic difference and more about comfort level and willingness to say "gently caress it (bareback)" and hope that things work out somehow.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't understand how anyone in their 20s affords kids. My parents were in their 20s when they had me, and the same is true of nearly all my peers. But things are changing and people are delaying parenthood. It's a thing. I'm not the first to notice that people in their 20s are less likely to have kids than they used to and people in their 30s and 40s are more likely than they used to.

Most of the 20-somethings that I know who have kids and are managing pretty well are also getting a shitload of help from their parents.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for Only Spoiling Myself?

quote:

First time poster, so please bare with me. My parents adored my older sister L. I was the oops baby they had later in life. Growing up, I was well aware that my older sister and was the star of the show. I wasn't abused--just ignored. Ex. Sister had huge party every year, and the one year I wanted one (16th birthday), my parents basically let her take over and it ended up being all about her. I always felt second best. When it was time for college, my folks told me I was on my own as my L switched majors so they had to spend more money on her degree. It was up to me to figure it out. Luckily I had the grades. I applied for grants/scholarships and left 2 days after HS graduation. I've been LC since.

Through hard work, counseling, and good friends, I'm pretty happy with the person I am today. I own my own home, my retirement plan is sound, so I enjoy spoiling myself (nice car, vacations with friends). I often post our adventures on social media. (This is important).

After 7 years of not speaking (cards at Christmas), my mom reached out and invited me to Thanksgiving. I went more out of curiosity than hopes of reconciliation (but I had an open mind). When I arrived, L was there. That degree never happened. (She's currently posting stuff on Tic Toc waiting become a viral star). In the meantime she's living at home.

After dinner, my mom mentioned that she started following me on FB and saw what a nice life I had. L made the comment that 'it must be nice to have money to throw away and ignore your familial responsibilities.' My mom co-signed this nonsense stating that since I was doing so well, I should be helping out especially since she and Dad are close to retirement age. The house needs work, and L could use a little help because family helps family. I should start pitching in to ease the burden.

Here's where I might be the rear end in a top hat: I told Mom that she and Dad bet on the wrong horse. And that I don't owe her, him, or my delusional sibling a drat thing. I left and blocked them. AITA for not even considering helping out since I have a healthy amount of disposable income? AITA further for thinking the invite was nothing more than the opening salvo to get money?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

yet somehow the laundry list of people being poisoned or secretly fed food they avoid/allergic to flew past your head to make this massively stupid post

very likely the girlfriend doesn't want to eat the "old lady's" food because she doesn't trust her. get that "decorum" poo poo out of here old people don't automatically deserve everyone catering to them just because it's a holiday.

From a few pages back but in this particular case the old people were literally doing the catering lol

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

https://twitter.com/phenibrah/status/1464459075467448323

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Do millennials even want to go to strip clubs? My circle is a bit nerdier than most, so my sample may be skewed.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Evil Willow posted:

I support this OP

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for threatening to leave a road trip early knowing it will mean none of us get any money?

quote:

Every year when we were kids our family would go on a road trip through Europe for the summer, until our parents divorced. Towards the end of my parents’ marriage my dad changed… a lot. I was the only one who stayed in contact with him, out of his three children, but I cut him off over two years ago because he took my ex-fiancé’s side over mine when we broke up.

My older sister reached out to my dad as she had been going through some financial hardships and he is the only one who could help her. He told her he would help, but only if she could convince me, my brother and my mum to go on one last family road trip. My dad likes playing games and he promised all of us would receive money, not just my sister, if we saw the trip through to the end. I only agreed because my sister really does need his help.

The trip has been weird and awkward from the start. My parents seem to be reconnecting which has made my brother very angry. My sister seems to be completely team dad now which is something I never thought would happen in a million years. I’ve been mostly trying to keep to myself as much as possible which is hard when you’re stuck in a car with everyone.

However, yesterday I threatened to leave the trip and everyone is still mad at me over it. My dad kept bringing up how someone else was going to join us at our next stop and that it would be a nice surprise. I felt sick the entire drive and my gut was telling me I wouldn’t like who was there. We arrive, and the surprise guest turns out to be my ex-fiancé.

My reaction wasn’t good at all. I yelled at my dad, I yelled at my ex, I yelled at my siblings and mum. I threatened to leave the trip and called my dad and ex some awful names. My dad made it very clear that if I leave nobody gets the money. I was so mad that I would’ve just up and left there and then regardless, but my sister convinced me to calm down and sleep on it.

Now my dad keeps mentioning how he may have to reconsider helping any of us after I was so rude to him. He wants me to apologise to him and to my ex, specifically for causing a scene and threatening to leave. So far, I’ve refused and now my siblings are both turning on me.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Just in case anybody doesn't click through to the original tweet, the best part is the pinned response which got multiple 'awards':

quote:

I'm seeing many bigoted comments down there so I just want to make this clear: any hate towards moderators will result in a permanent ban from this subreddit with no warning. This includes, but is not limited to, calling moderation a "fake job" or saying that we "do it for free". Moderation is one of the most useful jobs to society.
How dare you people think that "moderating subreddits" is not equivalent to a job that actually brings in money! Clearly OP needs to shut up and pay for everything since this man is doing hero's work.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MagusofStars posted:

Just in case anybody doesn't click through to the original tweet, the best part is the pinned response which got multiple 'awards':

How dare you people think that "moderating subreddits" is not equivalent to a job that actually brings in money! Clearly OP needs to shut up and pay for everything since this man is doing hero's work.

"BIGOTED" commends, gently caress this person hard

also wtf, they DO do it for free. Are you admitting you get paid or something? How's that "bigoted"??

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 27, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hughlander posted:

AITA for threatening to leave a road trip early knowing it will mean none of us get any money?

This story is already pretty crazy before the addition of the ex-fiance which turns it gold

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Every year when we were kids our family would go on a road trip through Europe for the summer, until our parents divorced.

Wow, how many times did they get divorced? How long before they remarried each time? Was it just in time for each trip again?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

This story is already pretty crazy before the addition of the ex-fiance which turns it gold

Which rom-com movie is this because it reeks of that poo poo.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Hughlander posted:

This Rat Race sequel sucks.

I hope she left because there’s no way she’s actually going to get any money, or at least not any without several huge strings attached.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Which rom-com movie is this because it reeks of that poo poo.

I feel more like he's doing it to antagonize them into what they're doing. "Oh, I WOULD have given you money, but your sibling hosed it up for you!" Now he gets his sick, lovely fun and the rest of the family is at each other's throats. And he can do it again in the future, make some stupid promise that he knows the desperate will jump at and then gently caress with them.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Evil Willow posted:

Chase that paper op and spoil yourself rotten

When you gamble sometimes you lose and in this case they clearly bet on the wrong horse

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for kissing my husband at a friend's event?

quote:

I (F37) and my husband (M42) attended my friend Becky's (F36) annual barbeque last weekend. Becky and I have been close friends since college. I met my husband shortly after graduating and while him and Becky have never been very close, such as hanging out without me, they have always been friendly toward one another and we've all hung out together on numerous occasions. Becky recently lost her husband due to a medical issue and we've all been devastated.

This year Becky texted me the day before her event and told me that she was making this years occasion a child-free one and that meant I couldn't bring my three year old and that she understood if I couldn't make it. I bit my tongue in an effort to be respectful and thanked her for letting me know and told her I indeed wouldn't be able to make it. She responded by saying she was looking forward to seeing my husband at dinner though. I saw no issue with this and sent her a thumbs up.

The next morning was the day of Becky's event and my MIL luckily agreed to babysit our toddler. We thanked MIL and headed over to Becky's with food, gifts, and no children in toe.

As we walked in Becky greeted my husband with a hug and an excited hellooooooo and then me with a sort of surprised look on her face. She didn't say much to me and went into her living room with everybody else. I went to put down the food on the counter while she introduced everybody to my husband and referred to him as "dear" (my husband told me this later on in the evening). I walked into the room and she gave me no mind since she was deep in a conversation with a friend of hers.

Some time into the party, Becky and my husband were both standing at the patio door and she had her arm around his waist. He spotted and looked at me with a "help me" glare so I made my way over thinking she had one too many. I gave him a kiss as he separated from her grasp. Becky looked at the both of us and then back at the others at the party with a shocked expression and then ran back into the house crying. She ran into the bedroom and locked the room and screamed at me to leave through the door. I tried asking her what had upset her and why she wanted us to leave numerous times. She refused to answer me and just kept crying. So, we left and on the way out received some pretty dirty looks from the other party-goers.

Later, I received texts from several mutual friends who scolded me for PDA and how Becky was so upset that I had made her party look "tacky" and that I was rubbing it in her face that she was a widow. I was so shocked and hurt to hear this and mentioned that every other couple at the event was also being relatively affectionate and that despite my husband and I not being ones to commit PDA in public, I had given him a side hug and a peck kiss, and that was all. Anyways, I am at a loss at what I should do. I feel like I hurt a close friend but I'm not sure how and what I can do to fix it. Reddit help! AITA???

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

wizardofloneliness posted:

This Rat Race sequel sucks.

I hope she left because there’s no way she’s actually going to get any money, or at least not any without several huge strings attached.

Sorry kiddos, I blew the rest of my fortune on this trip

Got any spare change for the bus ride home from the airport?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for kissing my husband at a friend's event?

redditors really need a crash course on how to avoid weirdos because none of these nerds can think for themselves and realize theyre hanging out with an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

quote:

AITA for asking my sister to contribute half the expenses of maintaining my mom's house?

My mother only has one asset, Her house. She doesn't have enough savings to bank roll her retirement. My wife and I pay for it. My wife is a doctor, so she makes great money and we can afford to take care of her. We have been sending her about 2K a month for 5 years now, we also take care of any incidental/ Emergency expenses. we have also all major house repairs and I have never asked for my sister to contribute as she is not as well off as we are.

My mom wanted to get her finances in order and she asked me to help. She talked about wanting to get her will written. She said she wanted to give the house to my sister. She has no other asset of note and it would mean than my sister gets almost 90% of her assets. I have always know that mom would skew the inheritance more towards her and I didn't mind that. I thought I could my sister by helping her. my sister needs it more and we are already doing so well.

I am really upset by this. I know it is greedy to be focused on the house but It makes me feel horrible. I am the one who is always with her when she is sick and she practically cuts me off the will. My sister isn't struggling herself. She is comfortably middle class, if she was really struggling I would have understood it.

This was about a month ago, The house needs some repairs again and my mom asked me to pay for it. I called my sister and told her that I want her to contribute for half the expenses. I know it is petty but I don't get why I should pay for a house which I will never get.

She talked to mom and she is upset with me for asking my sister for money and she thinks it is very petty and greedy of me to ask for money from someone who doesn't make as much as we do when we could afford it.

I do feel like an rear end in a top hat, I can understand why she is doing it and if I think about it rationally. I can see why she would want to give the house to my sister but I still feel horrible about it. She also feels that I a being a horrible sister by forcing her to pay for stuff and just dropping it on her head.

Comments by OP

My mother told me she talked about the house with her [OP's sister] when we were discussing the will.

My wife doesn't care that we are supporting my mother. She has talked about giving more money a lot but I have shot it down. You are reaching a lot in your comment but considering you are an anti-vaxxer, I understand you are used to talking out of your rear end. Also her wife not his wife.

My mom won't sell the house for sentimental reasons. It is in a good area and she could sell it for 1-1.2 million and they buy something smaller but still nicer for 600K and live off the rest. I have suggested this to her but she doesn't want to do it.My wife's parents disowned her when she came out so, they aren't in the picture.

Yeah, I think we were fine paying for it. The strange thing is that my sister has never lived in that house. Dad bought it when I was 15, My sister had gone to college by then. The house is the last thing my dad did before he passed away. I understand why mom wants to hold on to it but it makes sense to sell it now. I really need to have a conversation with both of them to sort this out.

Update

I was feeling a massive amount of guilt for my actions but most commenters supported me. I talked to my mother about how much money we have spent on her and how much more we were planning to spend on her. She didn't budge at all. I was incredibly frustrated and we ended up having a yelling match. She said she wanted her money to go to her real grandchildren and not to our children, who are adopted. It broke my heart. My children adore their grandma.

They think the world of her. I have never noticed any favoritism in her behavior either. She always doted on them. I don't know where this is coming from. She then explained that the house was my father's hard earned money and she couldn't really give that money to people he didn't approve of. She told me he would have wanted to this money to go to my sister and her biological children not to children who didn't even look like him. I don't understand how she could pretend to love my children for a decade! I was fooled by it. Everyone was fooled by it. I can't even process it.

We have stopped funding her retirement. She will have to sell the house. I talked to my sister, She cried when I told her what my mother had told me. She said she would handle buying our mother a new home. I haven't visited her in a month and I am not planning to visit for a long time.

ETA : Thank you for the kind comments. Yes, My wife did say it could be dementia. my sister is planning on getting her a wellness check soon. I am trying not to think about it.

Those who live in glass houses...wait a minute...