Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Which tests is better at picking up an infection early on, rapid or PCR?

I have been periodically getting a rapid test at school (they’re free), but with Omicron and the exponential rise in MI, I’m thinking about switching that to “daily.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Gio posted:

I have been periodically getting a rapid test at school (they’re free), but with Omicron and the exponential rise in MI, I’m thinking about switching that to “daily.”

PCR

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gio posted:

PCR is much more sensitive, but daily PCR testing is almost certainly overkill unless you're in regular contact with vulnerable people.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I have an unpleasant thought that the combo of inadequate lockdown and vaccination may have had the perverse effect of reducing any selectionary pressure against virulence in favor of maximizing the go brr factor.

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 27, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

PCR is much more sensitive, but daily PCR testing is almost certainly overkill unless you're in regular contact with vulnerable people.

I get free rapid tests at school; I’m an elementary teacher. I would be getting daily rapids.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

StratGoatCom posted:

I have an unpleasant thought that the combo of inadequate lockdown and vaccination may have had the perverse effect of reducing any selectionary pressure against virulence in favor of maximizing the go brr factor.

Buddy if it came out of Tanzania especially there was no pressure it was just living its best life

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Good news, Omicron is a nothingburger.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1464622927333232640

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

A profoundly unethical call to make with her following at day 3.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Does anyone know this persons actual credentials or are they cosplaying as a “scientist”

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/kath_krueger/status/1464680537822572559?s=20

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The actual quotes are a bit more cautious than that

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/

[

quote:

b]She said, in total, about two dozen of her patients have tested positive for Covid-19 with symptoms of the new variant. They were mostly healthy men who turned up “feeling so tired”. About half of them were unvaccinated.

Dr Coetzee, who was briefing other African medical associations on Saturday, made clear her patients were all healthy and she was worried the new variant could still hit older people – with co-morbidities such as diabetes or heart disease – much harder.

“What we have to worry about now is that when older, unvaccinated people are infected with the new variant, and if they are not vaccinated, we are going to see many people with a severe [form of the] disease,” she said.

South African demographics are very different from those in the UK. Only about six per cent of the population are over the age of 65. This means that older individuals who are more vulnerable to the virus may take some time to present.

This chise character may be a good lab scientist but they seem to be pretty dang dumb otherwise, or at least in the context of public health.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Should really post that with the full context:

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1464660667546411011

Still potentially good news if true, in that it may indicate that Omicron doesn't evade vaccines the way it was feared it might, but it still may be a problem if it is significantly more transmissible, for example.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 27, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nexous posted:

Does anyone know this persons actual credentials or are they cosplaying as a “scientist”

What "actual credentials" would even matter? I'm pretty sure doom consensus is every single legitimate body is actually illegitimate and one of the most important figures in the doomer movement is a nutritionist who's biggest claim to fame was being on a Dorito's bag.

Anyone that finds out chise is a senior scientist at moderna is just going to say "heh, so what? I read 500 facebook posts so what do they know I don't?"

(and this is always the thing, people that say scary sensational things need no credential, people who say measured things from legitimate knowledge will never be credentialled enough)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What "actual credentials" would even matter? I'm pretty sure doom consensus is every single legitimate body is actually illegitimate and one of the most important figures in the doomer movement is a nutritionist who's biggest claim to fame was being on a Dorito's bag.

Anyone that finds out chise is a senior scientist at moderna is just going to say "heh, so what? I read 500 facebook posts so what do they know I don't?"

(and this is always the thing, people that say scary sensational things need no credential, people who say measured things from legitimate knowledge will never be credentialled enough)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is entirely unhelpful. If you know what their actual profession or studies are, let me know. Do not just hand wave away my question because “doomer.”

A “senior scientist” is a very broad statement. I just want to know if it’s worth giving their opinions any merit. This goes for figureheads of “both sides”

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

nexous posted:

This is entirely unhelpful. If you know what their actual profession or studies are, let me know. Do not just hand wave away my question because “doomer.”

A “senior scientist” is a very broad statement. I just want to know if it’s worth giving their opinions any merit. This goes for figureheads of “both sides”

IIRC they're a senior scientist on Moderna's vaccine development team.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

nexous posted:

A “senior scientist” is a very broad statement. I just want to know if it’s worth giving her opinions any merit. This goes for figureheads of “both sides”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/why-we-shouldnt-panic-about-the-millions-who-missed-their-second-vaccine-dose-yet

quote:

With such promising reports of protection after the first dose, why go back for the second? "Because that's not going to last forever," says Chise Broussard, a molecular biologist specializing in viral pathogenesis and host immunity at Moderna.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yes I clicked on their twitter. I’m a “senior engineer” so am I qualified to talk about building microchips? You have no idea based on my very broad job title.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well since we’re looking for subject matter experts…

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1464574729596067841

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

She claims to have a position as a “Senior Scientist (Biologist) at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health in their Molecular Microbiology Lab in Maryland”.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

So yes, Chise Broussard is qualified and is worth listening to.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nexous posted:

Yes I clicked on their twitter. I’m a “senior engineer” so am I qualified to talk about building microchips? You have no idea based on my very broad job title.

Like what credentials would matter? If they were the head of the cdc wouldn’t the response just be “lol cdc”?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like what credentials would matter? If they were the head of the cdc wouldn’t the response just be “lol cdc”?

Idk “a molecular biologist specializing in viral pathogenesis and host immunity at Moderna.” seems like it matters to me. I don’t know poo poo about biology and viruses so knowing who does is helpful

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, it certainly is true that "senior scientist" is not sufficient to describe someone's credentials. Just like "epidemiologist" doesn't say much — Eric Feigl-Ding, for example, is an epidemiologist whose focus is nutrition, and is absolutely unqualified to discuss and interpret anything pandemic-related.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nexous posted:

Idk “a molecular biologist specializing in viral pathogenesis and host immunity at Moderna.” seems like it matters to me. I don’t know poo poo about biology and viruses so knowing who does is helpful

Yeah, but they say positive things!wouldn't you rather follow a transphobic computer programmer that says we are all doomed? Or a Doritos bag man?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

You can read the story I posted for more context on the person being quoted by Chise. Their first tweet was pretty misleading.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I mean, it certainly is true that "senior scientist" is not sufficient to describe someone's credentials. Just like "epidemiologist" doesn't say much — Eric Feigl-Ding, for example, is an epidemiologist whose focus is nutrition, and is absolutely unqualified to discuss and interpret anything pandemic-related.

He does seem like he’s gotten addicted to first posting bad news for the attention without vetting any of it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

brugroffil posted:

You can read the story I posted for more context on the person being quoted by Chise. Their first tweet was pretty misleading.

You’d know more than they would, I’m sure

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

nexous posted:

He does seem like he’s gotten addicted to first posting bad news for the attention without vetting any of it.

Yes, he does it for attention. He went from 2000 Twitter followers in late 2019 to over 600k today. Doomers are attracted to his tweets like moths to a flame, and various media outlets have also been signal-boosting him because it helps write panic headlines and generate clicks.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You’d know more than they would, I’m sure

What a weird post. Did you see the story I posted with more context on the quote from the person who actually made the quote?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, but they say positive things!wouldn't you rather follow a transphobic computer programmer that says we are all doomed? Or a Doritos bag man?

If I described the man who raised the alarm as an “extremely crazy twitter person”, and then two days passed and every authority on the planet treated it as the most serious development since March of 2020, I would never mention the incident again and hope that no one else remembered it.

You do you, though.

Like, look, maybe the guy didn’t have any business raising the alarm, because he didn’t go to Eton, but the fact is that it was an alarm correctly sounded.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I'd trust someone who actually did epidemiology over someone whose skills are in the mating habits of proteins on this subject. Vaccine design is one thing, epidemiology and the possible evolution of something in the wild is very much another. His credentials are likely less removed, even if he's outside the range of experise.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I do think it's funny that people still toss around "doomer" as a pejorative as we close in on 1M dead Americans in less than two years with no real sign of slowing down in the near future.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

brugroffil posted:

I do think it's funny that people still toss around "doomer" as a pejorative as we close in on 1M dead Americans in less than two years with no real sign of slowing down in the near future.

Yeah, it's been a rich ground for grifters, just like every other plague in history.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I dunno the track record of the people who say "hmm this still seems bad" is doing a lot better than the "masks off, you mentally ill caver doomers!"

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Her bosses are long overdue for telling Chise to stick to her job, but :capitalism:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

brugroffil posted:

I dunno the track record of the people who say "hmm this still seems bad" is doing a lot better than the "masks off, you mentally ill caver doomers!"

"stuff seems bad, better turn away from experts and follow these guys that promise me secret knowledge and trick me with cold reading tricks of wildly guessing extreme outcomes a hundred at a time"

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why do you call him a computer programmer? He's a geneticist with a PhD in genetics

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I still don’t know which twitter personality is Doritos bag man, but I do like Doritos.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nexous posted:

I still don’t know which twitter personality is Doritos bag man, but I do like Doritos.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/994634867248979969

Unironically, good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Yeah that doesn’t seem like a good reason to criticize someone. He has actual faults with his posting so maybe start with those instead of the time he was recognized for doing good.