Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ladies and gentlemen, we got him.

https://twitter.com/alexmeshkin/status/1464604739291783174

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

We don't know, but we will soon. I would not put any stock in computer modeling of this.

init
Jun 20, 2021

I'm curious: Are there any special guidelines for handling COIVD infections in immunocompromised people? Especially since they are both at higher risk of long term damage and apparently they can build up these new variants?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Masks mandatory on public transport and in shops again in the U.K.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

learnincurve posted:

We never should have stopped tbh but politicians do love their votes and their ££££.

It's a strange feeling when you're a bit paranoid and you actually end up being right. :confused:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

learnincurve posted:

It is odd that masks have such opposition by some. They are next to no effort to use when going out shopping and whatnot.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Just Another Lurker posted:

We never should have stopped tbh but politicians do love their votes and their ££££.

It's a strange feeling when you're a bit paranoid and you actually end up being right. :confused:
The problem is, measures that successfully reduce covid cases need to stay in place in order to keep cases low (especially with delta/maybe omicron, crappy vaccine uptake, imperfect immunity, etc). But people immediately want to relax measures once cases get low, which of course leads to a rise in cases.

This happens over and over and over and its predictability is exceeded only by how exhausting it is. People just refuse to learn this brutally obvious lesson.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It is odd that masks have such opposition by some. They are next to no effort to use when going out shopping and whatnot.

My personal belief is that they refuse masks because they want the situation to be not bad enough to require them. Some kind of projection or cargo cult immunity.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

learnincurve posted:

We're literally right on the brink of removing most mask requirements here in NSW. I expect that will change in the next week or two.

While we sailed past 90% double vaccinated, we have struggled to reach 95%. Our third dose/booster rollout is only in the early stages and it's not really being pushed with any urgency.

We could be in trouble if we take our eye off the ball (again) here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why are people saying the stocks took a dive on Friday. They are just back to what they were a few weeks ago. We're still near all time highs.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Why are people saying the stocks took a dive on Friday. They are just back to what they were a few weeks ago. We're still near all time highs.

Fearmongering, people are getting nervous about continuous all time highs and others want a nice big crash so they can buy cheap stocks. :homebrew:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Again, having masks mandatory in shops but allowing hospitality to keep on trucking is :discourse:

I mean, I'm happy that it is but lmao

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 27, 2021

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Mu Zeta posted:

yeah the stock market always does this because it turns out the most elastic substance in the universe is dead cat :V

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don’t use day-to-day swings in the stock market as a measure if anything other than how much the stock market changed today.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone remember if the stock market took a dive when the Delta varient was discovered? I think it's weird how it took a dive when the Omicron varient was discovered even though it wasnt many cases in not many places. I don't remember the stock market diving when other varients, like the lambda varient were discovered.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Before delta none of the variants really Mattered, but post delta we know they really can.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Charliegrs posted:

Does anyone remember if the stock market took a dive when the Delta varient was discovered? I think it's weird how it took a dive when the Omicron varient was discovered even though it wasnt many cases in not many places. I don't remember the stock market diving when other varients, like the lambda varient were discovered.

Delta news was around December but not much of a blip. March 2020 was the only real dive in recent memory. Could change in the coming weeks of course.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Scarodactyl posted:

Before delta none of the variants really Mattered, but post delta we know they really can.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

100 days to manufacture the first dose and then how many months of trials? This is a misleading number if its used to suggest we'll have vaccines available to the public in 100 days.

Those anti-viral were tested against existing strains. They haven't been studied at all on omnicron and we already have evidence that monoclonals are likely to be impacted by the mutations it has. You have no evidence at all to make this claim that its not going to be as severe as the initial emergence of covid, which is a weird comparison anyway since the OG strain was quite mild in comparison to what we're dealing with today with delta. We should all pray omnicron is as deadly as OG covid.

I'm pretty sure the first dose can be manufactured in like a couple of weeks time considering that I can order the gene and appropriate primers from multiple commercial vendors with 5 day delivery time. To get the appropriate RNA from that is likely a couple of days work and then I assume you basically shove that into your existing production pipeline without too much optimisation because it is really similar to previous strains. I assume the 100 day thing is with phase 1 and 2 testing included.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Salt Fish posted:

Guess what - the vaccines aren't very effective. I know because I've had 3 of them and its still not safe for me to go back to my past life, flying 4+ times a year and working in a cube farm with 500 other people. It's been 90 days since dose 3 and I'm already planning on a 4th dose in a few months.

Kinda curious -- if you think the covid vaccine (particularly the mrna type) is not "very effective", what vaccines do you think are very effective? What is the threshold?

Right now, being vaccinated against covid lowers your risk of hospitalization and death by >10x compared to the unvaccinated. Here's a recent look that does a good job of splitting up the timeline into before and after delta sections:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7037e1.htm?s_cid=mm7037e1_w

There's a lot of hand-wringing about the vaccine not working well against the delta variant, and in the tables and charts at the end you can see that the vaccine is undeniably less effective against delta. But you're still 10x less likely to have a severe (hospitalized) case and 17x less likely to die from delta than an unvaccinated person if you're under age 64. It gets worse above age 64 at "only" about 8x less likely to be hospitalized and 10x less likely to die, but I would still call that effective. I know there are a lot of bad faith flu comparisons out there, and I'm not trying to suggest any equivalence in general, but if we could get the covid death rate down by 10x through full vaccination, we would be looking at something like 80k instead of 800k deaths in the US over a ~2 year period, which really is comparable to average seasonal flu death rates. And while that's obviously still not great, it's at least a level that we were already accustomed to living with and our healthcare infrastructure can handle.

I've been trying to find a good source on whether the vaccine also lowers risk of long covid symptoms, but that's been hard to track down because there's no common definition (some look at whether symptoms persist after 6 weeks, some look at 3 months, some longer -- and not all count the same symptoms) and because it's hard to find a large enough data set to draw conclusions from since there are so few breakthrough cases in the first place, and most studies with large enough populations to find hundreds or thousands of breakthroughs aren't able to track patient data with enough detail to evaluate how often long covid symptoms arise and how severe. There's a lot of small data sets and anecdotal evidence suggesting the vaccine also provides significant protection against long covid, but it's just not something I'm comfortable putting numbers on until I can find better data.

At the moment, the long-covid stuff is the thing that concerns me in terms of personal risk as a 3x moderna shot haver in my 30s (ignoring the omicron wildcard that we don't know much about yet). I'm not worried that I would die from a breakthrough case, but I don't want a hosed up sense of smell or a year of feeling constantly winded or suffering from whatever brain fog is. I still wear a mask when I have to go out, avoid indoor gatherings as much as I can, etc. because I don't want to contribute to spreading the disease to an unvaccinated person or to someone with a weak immune system. But I no longer feel anxiety about my own health when I go the supermarket and I'm one of maybe 3 customers wearing a mask in the whole store, navigating through a sea of suburban FL chuds. And I don't feel nervous getting together with (vaccinated) friends and family anymore. There's always the risk that that will change with omicron or some other variant, and potentially very rapidly, and then I'll have to live another year of extreme social distancing, constant paranoia, and joining discords that track toilet paper restocks until a good vaccine comes out.

And really, that last part is why I still have a doomer outlook even though I do put a lot of faith in the vaccine. I just don't think we'll ever get enough people vaccinated worldwide to effectively end the pandemic, and there's no political or popular will to go back to even the half-hearted form of lockdown that we did in 2020, much less the full-level lockdown that would actually be needed simultaneously in every country. If we can't get high vax rates or do lockdowns, reaching the level of natural immunity required for true herd immunity will take at least 3-4 more years at the rate we've been going, and that's ignoring the possibility of waning immunity and variants. Another thing I've heard suggested itt that could alleviate the pandemic is that diseases naturally evolve to be less deadly as a survival mechanism because if they're too deadly they kill the host before they can spread, but I don't think that will apply well to covid. Yeah it's deadly, but it's not THAT deadly (i.e., ebola or MERS) -- it kills pretty slowly (3+ weeks) and people usually feel good enough to still go out while they're at the peak of contagiousness, so I can't really see any reason there would be selective pressure to become less deadly -- only more transmissible and/or immunity resistant. There really is no end in sight, and certainly no end that will come in the next few years. There will probably just be alternating periods of relatively lower risk followed by periods of high risk waiting for vaccines to catch up to new strains, so I would suggest trying to take advantage of the "calm" periods if you are able.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

I'm pretty sure the first dose can be manufactured in like a couple of weeks time considering that I can order the gene and appropriate primers from multiple commercial vendors with 5 day delivery time. To get the appropriate RNA from that is likely a couple of days work and then I assume you basically shove that into your existing production pipeline without too much optimisation because it is really similar to previous strains. I assume the 100 day thing is with phase 1 and 2 testing included.

IIRC Pfizer's recent update was a candidate booster in 6 weeks out of the 100 day total.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
As I said in July, possibly earning my my :krad: custom title,

Platystemon posted:

Is there a numerical standard of ‘highly protective’ with which I am unfamiliar, or is it all relative?

I say this because relative to other vaccines in widespread use, Pfizer’s vaccine does not, versus Delta, appear to place higher than the median. It’s more protective than the flu and perhaps tuberculosis vaccines, about level with the measles and rubella vaccines, and worse than the chickenpox, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, polio, and smallpox vaccines.

It turns out that a lot of the effect we were seeing was not due to Delta, but due to waning antibody levels, but to be fair to all the other vaccines, we measured their efficacy years out.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Blitter posted:

There are plenty of SME with no obvious axes to grind, and a well established professional reputation on Twitter.

So, how about some background about what we currently do know and what we do not, with some "scorching hot takes" to back things up from twitter:

I believe the cautionary principle in matters of public health is the priority and if you want to write that off as "fearmongering" I suggest you look at the per capita deathcount in your own country and think about how some prior less cautious decisions, and over-estimations have killed hundreds of thousands unnecessarily. There is an opportunity to learn from that, and seriously gently caress you for pushing back on well warranted caution.

Honestly you seem more interested in being an rear end in a top hat to Snowglobe and shouting down people who disagree with your particular take on how best to "engage with actual science and data" and it's loving tedious and of no value at all (except in the D&D thread/shitlib hugbox where it is de rigueur).

Yes, there is also good information on twitter. Your post is a good summary of what's known and I don't disagree with any of your post . I also don't think I've been pushing back against caution. What I'm pushing back against is posting about how vaccines are now useless or whatever, we literally do not know how effective vaccines are or other info about Omicron (severity of disease, R, etc) and won't for a little while. I'm not blowing off Omicron as a flash in the pan or telling anyone to reduce their level of caution.

Also I probably came in a little hot toward Snowglobe so apologize for that.

Okay I managed to grab the full text of the Japanese Times and looked at a few other outlets reporting on this.

The Japan Times posted:

“No genome data exists, so it’s just a hypothesis, but because it has disappeared, it will never see the light of day again,” he said.
It's one part of an explanation for why Delta rapidly disappeared in Japan, they also have very high vaccination rates and good compliance to masking and social distancing. They apparently don't have sequences to actually check whether Delta in Japan accumulated errors in its proofreading, so we can't know for sure.

It seems plausible-ish? The big hole in the hypothesis is if some of the Delta lineage in Japan acquired mutations in its proofreading mechanism that impaired its ability to replicate... how does the impaired virus outcompete vanilla Delta to drive it to extinction? I guess you could come up with a scenario where vaccines, masking, social distancing were driving cases down and by sheer luck there were a few super-spreader events with the impaired virus that helped it out-spread regular Delta.

I looked at a few other articles on this and several of them are making the dangerous extrapolation of going "hey this might happen elsewhere, maybe Delta will just mutate itself into extinction" which is pretty obviously lol. Maybe you could replicate what happened in Japan in other places but that requires high vaccination, good adherence to other NPIs to get case levels very low, and lots of luck. A couple articles were bordering on wishful thinking and the tone was almost "hey maybe Delta will just disappear!"

There was also this bit in the Japan Times article which wasn't in the other articles. I've never heard of this before:

The Japan Times posted:

Studies have shown that more people in Asia have a defense enzyme called APOBEC3A that attacks RNA viruses, including the SARS-CoV-2 virus that causes COVID-19, when compared to people in Europe and Africa.
So the researchers from the National Institute of Genetics and Niigata University set out to discover how the APOBEC3A protein affects the nsp14 protein and whether it can inhibit the activity of the coronavirus. The team conducted an analysis of the genetic diversity data for the alpha and delta variants from infected clinical specimens in Japan from June to October.
It sounds like part of the researchers' theory is this APOBEC3A enzyme (more common in people Asia, they say) might inhibit SARS-CoV-2 replication.

edit: I haven't come across the APOBEC3A stuff before so idk how significant it is. My gut reaction is it feels like weird :biotruths: stuff but I'm gonna read up on it a little.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 27, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Inept posted:

lol glad the threadworld is rapidly warping toward doom again

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

nexous posted:

They said they could produce and ship an updated vaccine in as little as 100 days.

That says nothing about trials and approval.

It'll be interesting to see if any vaccine they develop for new strains will actually work for anyone already vaccinated:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_antigenic_sin

quote:

Original antigenic sin, also known as antigenic imprinting or the Hoskins effect,[1] refers to the propensity of the body's immune system to preferentially utilize immunological memory based on a previous infection when a second slightly different version of that foreign pathogen (e.g. a virus or bacterium) is encountered.

End of doompost.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Variants don't require the same level of trials that the original vaccine did. Just a small trial to test it.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Yo dudes we still can’t vaccinate some children and you’re talking about how fast we can get a new vaccine out

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do not procrastinate on your boosters like my wife and I who are currently marveling at how weird it is not to be able to smell anything.

:guillotine:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mu Zeta posted:

I've noticed this too, news saying "BOY WHAT A BLOODBATH", and uhhh, I guess there was a dip?

I understand anxiety and fear sell, but jeez

Anyway, back to my regular Covid Anxiety, boy will Omicron be THE ONE ????

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

nexous posted:

Yo dudes we still can’t vaccinate some children and you’re talking about how fast we can get a new vaccine out

Totally right. We should hold off developing any variant-specific boosters until every child on Earth has had a jab, regardless if the new variant renders it useless.

Lol no.

e:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I understand anxiety and fear sell, but jeez

The media requires unceasing catastrophes to drive engagement.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 27, 2021

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bad Purchase posted:

Kinda curious -- if you think the covid vaccine (particularly the mrna type) is not "very effective", what vaccines do you think are very effective? What is the threshold?

Right now, being vaccinated against covid lowers your risk of hospitalization and death by >10x compared to the unvaccinated. Here's a recent look that does a good job of splitting up the timeline into before and after delta sections:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7037e1.htm?s_cid=mm7037e1_w

There's a lot of hand-wringing about the vaccine not working well against the delta variant, and in the tables and charts at the end you can see that the vaccine is undeniably less effective against delta. But you're still 10x less likely to have a severe (hospitalized) case and 17x less likely to die from delta than an unvaccinated person if you're under age 64.

[...]

If we can't get high vax rates or do lockdowns, reaching the level of natural immunity required for true herd immunity will take at least 3-4 more years at the rate we've been going, and that's ignoring the possibility of waning immunity and variants.

I believe that the vaccines are currently the best tool that an individual has to protect themselves. I've had 3 of them, and I had a booster before 99.99% of people because I'm convinced that they're very beneficial and reduce your risk of dying from covid.

What is mediocre about them? They wear off after 4-5 months, with the original 2 dose pfizer/moderna offering 0% protection against infection by 6 months. That study you provided was from April to July - it couldn't observe this happening because the general public were finally getting vaccinated in April. They also provide partial protection. Right now in King County 38% of covid deaths during the last 30 days were fully vaccinated.

Its all relative of course. You could say "we didn't even know if it was possible to make a coronavirus vaccine in March 2020!" and yeah, by that metric the vaccines are great. But in terms of people going out to eat indoors, going to the gym again, getting on airplanes - the vaccine is not an excellent solution that supports those activities. In the context of imagining that you're safe from a new variant with 50 mutations on the spike, forget about it.

Everyone should go get vaccinated, not just twice, not just 3 times but probably every 5 months until the next generation of vaccines becomes available because - as a tool to stop the pandemic - these current vaccines aren't going to cut it. They're great in a context of reduce risk, but they are not great in a context of making the world exactly like it was in 2019.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

DickParasite posted:

Totally right. We should hold off developing any variant-specific boosters until every child on Earth has had a jab, regardless if the new variant renders it useless.

Lol no.

Idk what post you read but it couldn’t have been mine because that is in no way what I said.

They will not rubber stamp approval for something they haven’t approved for <5 and barely approved for 5-12. We barely got boosters for all. And yet we’re discussing the possibility of a new vaccine in arms in 100 days?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Delta news was around December but not much of a blip. March 2020 was the only real dive in recent memory. Could change in the coming weeks of course.

It's because it was Big News that happened on a Friday afternoon so a lot of traders unwound positions and hedged against a fall in prices in out-of-hours business so they didn't get a nasty shock on Monday morning. The actual content of the Big News is irrelevant in these days of algorithmic trading and stock prices being completely divorced from the actual underlying companies or wider economy.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hoping this is what it turns out to be

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/

"South African doctor who raised alarm about omicron variant says symptoms are ‘unusual but mild’

Dr Angelique Coetzee noticed otherwise healthy patients showing unusual symptoms and worries how the new variant might hurt the elderly"

I mean, hopefully not the elderly, but the mild part

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Could someone translate what the hell "shitlib" means? I avoid CSPAM and D&D because I already have enough brainworms, thanks, but Blitter's pro-Twitter rant made me curious what the gently caress the term is even supposed to mean. Beyond "my posting enemies," of course.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Could someone translate what the hell "shitlib" means? I avoid CSPAM and D&D because I already have enough brainworms, thanks, but Blitter's pro-Twitter rant made me curious what the gently caress the term is even supposed to mean. Beyond "my posting enemies," of course.

Anyone who votes Democrat.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

According to Urban Dictionary:

quote:

Portmanteau comprising the words “poo poo” and “lib.” Used in leftist political discourse as a perjorative, mocking the spinelessness, stupidly, hypocrisy, and willful ignorance of American liberals.

“Vote blue no matter who! You’re probably a russian bot trying to get Trump re-elected.”

“Nope, I’m just not a shitlib like you. Hit the phones.”

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mu Zeta posted:

Because it's something the doomposters can grab at show how totally and irretrievably hosed we apparently are right now.

It's also worth noting that despite the massive explosion of cases in South Africa they don't have many (any? - sources vary) vaccinated people in hospital. If omicron was able to effortlessly bypass immunity from vaccination you would expect to see vaccinated people making up 30% or so of hospitalisations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hoping this is what it turns out to be

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/

"South African doctor who raised alarm about omicron variant says symptoms are ‘unusual but mild’

Dr Angelique Coetzee noticed otherwise healthy patients showing unusual symptoms and worries how the new variant might hurt the elderly"

I mean, hopefully not the elderly, but the mild part
”Mild” would be great if true, but of course the sample size is small right now. The things that seem especially concerning are the number and character of the mutations in the spike protein, plus the high prevalence of Omicron in Guateng province and elsewhere. That suggests transmissibility that meets or exceeds Delta’s, plus the possibility of significantly reduced vaccine efficacy. Perhaps just against infection and less against disease severity, but who knows/

It will take some time to see how all this shakes out. In the meantime, extra caution seems wise. The fact that Capital and major governments seem scared is uh, not awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My sister is a nurse at a VA hospital and boy is she tired of watching hundreds of men the exact age as our dad dying in the ICU over the last 18 months. Doesn't feel great!