Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

A friend pointed out there are several scenes where crows (or ravens?) are extremely prominent. Swain is totally pulling strings or at least getting the lay of the land in Piltover, right?

It's just a piece of animal iconography, I think. When Ekko and Jinx fight, Jinx is shown with the image of a crow - usually considered a harbinger of bad luck and ill omens, as befits her name - and Ekko is shown with the image of a firelight, a bug with a brief life that shines exceptionally brightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
While it might be possible that they'll use crows & ravens to make a transition towards Swain later, right now it's heavily tied into Jinx's iconography.

There's the Ekko vs. Jinx fight mentioned before, but there are a few more places. The Jinx chair at the end is decorated with crow feathers and at the end of episode 5, when Jinx is working through the Hextech research notes she is also using crow feathers as bookmarks. I'm also pretty sure that the crows & ravens only appear in scenes with Jinx in it, if it was meant to foreshadow Swain being involved in events you'd assume they'd be around the other characters more, especially Mel and her mother.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I finished my rewatch of the show yesterday, and can confirm I really did enjoy it even more the second time around. I also really appreciated some of the subtle plot things I missed the first time, probably due to not paying as much attention while watching with my partner.

My partner got a bit offended at the idea that this is one of the best TV shows I've seen - xe feels that fantasy is inherently too cartoony and contrived to bear serious plots, and fantasy shows should be about cool fights and monsters instead. So basically, it can't be compared to the best plot-driven shows because it's fantasy, but also can't compare to the best fantasy shows because there's too much boring politics between the mage fights.

This caused me some thoughts about the plot, which I now freely gift to you.

The A plot is the story about two sisters who end up on seperate sides of a cops-vs-robbers conflict, trying to reconcile despite their differences. This is basically a completely stock TV plot that would work without any fantasy elements at all. It is a bit exaggerated: Jinx gets away with killing a lot more people than in most stories of this sort - but more restrained than many fantasy stories, where killing 30+ people, mostly faceless mooks, is rookie numbers.

The B plot is young techbro Jayce getting drawn into politics and immediately letting himself be manipulated, not getting a clue about anything and ultimately becoming a lovely bigot against the very people he has to thank for his success. I really love this story, it's very well constructed and you can see every problem coming a mile away, but the characters are so well developed that you can't really blame them for stumbling right into every trap. I also like that the evil seductress lobbyist is actually a pretty well-rounded character who has some genuine feelings and a conscience. This plot doesn't have too many contrivances, except at the very end where "turns out you can't solve the contradictions of :capitalism: with either state violence or contracts" is compressed into two action scenes and some talk about daughters.

Then there's the subplot of Viktor and Mad Science Gone Too Far, which is the only plot that really couldn't work outside a high fantasy setting. The McGuffin that can potentially cure all disease but actually makes you evil is just too unrealistic. I guess this type of thing has traditionally been a metaphor for nuclear power, but even that doesn't really fit. Personally I think it's pretty neat that fantasy can condense the "progress / people messed up by progress" dichotomy into one character like this, but admittedly it is a very constructed situation. This is also the one story that doesn't really resolve in a satisfying way, though that might just be because it's not over. I personally still loved it, because I enjoy Mad Science stories in general and this one was particularly well integrated as the underbelly of the Jayce techbro plot (it does get some points deducted for the fridging of Sky the assistant). But it's certainly pulpy.

All in all, I stand by my "good show" opinion. The fantasy elements function a bit like a thought experiment, where you can play out some scenarios without having to account for all real world complications. And Arcane arguably does a better job pointing out the various internal and external factors that make characters do what they do than other shows. Even corrupt murdercop Marcus, who would be a really easy target, gets some humanizing moments. Contrasted with other prestige shows like Chernobyl, where the government agents are all evil pigs who love to cause suffering for its own sake, Arcane is a very humanist show.

Maybe it's actually a bit of a shame that the story writers here are wasted on a bunch of video game backstories, but at least they seem to love it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

1stGear posted:

Sevika seems like the easiest fit for a champion. Her second fight with Vi in particular seemed like an ability showcase.

I could see that, but while Sevika was an alright minor antagonist with a neat design, I don't think she had a very good showing for playable champion

First, she lost both fights (sure she stabbed Vi in the first one but that was for character reasons, not fight good reasons). And not even against Vi in her prime from the game! This is teenage Vi, one time without her big gloves and it was only Vi's second time using them on the rematch.

Second is Sevika was a big dick all around. Just kind of a lovely thug/bully, the only admirable/redeeming thing was not betraying Silco.

So I mean, this is all fine for a tv show character, but for a playable character who Riot would want players to choose and buy skins for? Having evil characters (ie. Singed) is fine, as long as they're cool and badass and maybe interesting, of which Sevika was... not so much. Maybe this could change in S2?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mazerunner posted:

as they're cool and badass and maybe interesting, of which Sevika was... not so much.

I agree that Sevika probably won't happen as a champion but what lmao. Sevika is cool as hell

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Sevika got her arm blown off protecting Silko from a mini magic nuke. Seems pretty badass to me.

She’s basically the stand in for every Zaunite looking for action against Pitover which is why the Betrayal!? scene is so important. It’s a tacit approval of Silko by a significant chunk of Zaun’s population.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
She's a cool tough lady with a sword arm, nobody cares if she's mean

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

1stGear posted:

Silco is the central antagonist, but Arcane is very much a series of tragedies that were completely avoidable, except they weren't. The interesting thing about Silco is that he does truly believe in his revolution, far more than the other chembarons in Act 3. I wish there had been a little more about his and Vander's failed attempt to give context as to what exactly went down and what happened between them.

That's the recurring thing I see people have the biggest problem with, being we have to fill in the blanks on our own for a lot of things. Personally I get it, even Arcane only had so many episodes even with Riot Money and I think it's to the shows credit that said blanks are all easy to fill in.

Vermain posted:

It's just a piece of animal iconography, I think. When Ekko and Jinx fight, Jinx is shown with the image of a crow - usually considered a harbinger of bad luck and ill omens, as befits her name - and Ekko is shown with the image of a firelight, a bug with a brief life that shines exceptionally brightly.

Right. Crows also represent a symbol of change, which, you know, Jinx.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 27, 2021

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

pidan posted:

This caused me some thoughts about the plot, which I now freely gift to you.

This post made me realized how much, in broad strokes, the Vi/Powder/Jinx storyline lines up with, like, season 1 of CW's Batwoman show. Sisters separated by tragedy; years later, Powder/Beth develops a new identity (Jinx/Alice)and has killed varying numbers of people and feels very left-behind by Vi/Kate, who punches a lot of dudes and tries to get back the pre-tragedy sister she remembers. And there's a cop fling/possible-girlfriend (Caitlyn/Sophie) also trying to stop all the murders/thefts/etc.

It probably wouldn't be too contested to say that Arcane does this story and these characters way better than Batwoman.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
If they're going to add someone from the villain side of the show to the game it should be Silco himself throwing out shimmer-buffs as a "hey you, go fight for me so I can keep my hands clean" support rear end in a top hat.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pidan posted:

My partner got a bit offended at the idea that this is one of the best TV shows I've seen - xe feels that fantasy is inherently too cartoony and contrived to bear serious plots, and fantasy shows should be about cool fights and monsters instead.

Runeterra is uniquely situated as a fantasy setting because of, surprisingly enough, the format of League as a product. The vignette style of writing it necessarily had to embrace to accommodate the large number of champions being added (especially at the breakneck pace they once had), along with the huge number of individual artists and writers touching it at some point or another, has led to it being this big ol' gumbo of aesthetics and genres. It's still got trace elements of the Tolkien DNA most modern genre fantasy inherited, but it's also carrying elements of steampunk, shonen manga, detective fiction, wuxia, pirate fiction, classical mythology, bildungsroman, and a half-dozen other influences. It's able to defy standard genre conventions in a way that your average swords-and-sorcery fantasy world either couldn't or wouldn't, and that gives it the ability to tell stories that can handle a huge variety of subject matter without it coming across as shoehorned in or silly. Geralt taking a detour in the Witcher world to find out about modern class conflict and police brutality would feel really loving weird, but it's a perfectly natural fit for a setting with international trade and chemical industry.

What makes Arcane's writing work is that it has a core thematic interrogative - "What are you willing to pay for progress?" - that every character's arc is centered around, and what the setting itself resonates with. Zaun is, ultimately, the price of Piltover's progress: the sick and dying in the fissures, and the bodies of the revolutionaries on the bridge, are the price they've set for having their gleaming city on the hill. For the characters and the plot, the twist that makes the show work so well is that almost no one is ultimately willing to keep paying up when the stakes get too high. Jayce's dream of a better, united world are paid for by his ideals, and he eventually slams on the brakes when the human cost gets too high. Viktor is so desperate to live and gain a "normal" body that he risks total annihilation, and the sacrifice of Sky to save him is where he draws the line. Caitlyn puts her career and her life on the line to try and solve the case and unmask Silco for who he really is, but when confronted by the Council's stonewalling and the need to push even further, she doesn't raise her voice to support Jayce and lets Vi leave without trying to stop her. Mel practices the cold-blooded power politics her mother taught her with ruthless efficiency until the point of war is reached, and, realizing she can't stomach becoming like the mother she loathes, she backs down and votes for peace. Silco sanctions truly monstrous actions in the name of advancing his cause, but, just like his brother, is ultimately undone at the last moment by the one thing he loves more than Zaun. Vi pushes herself harder and further, over and over, willing to kill and die to get back her sister, and when all she has to do to have Powder back is pull the trigger and end the life of the one person who's shown her grace, kindness, and the possibility of something different, she can't do it.

What makes the first season a tragedy, and what makes it such an effective emotional gutpunch, is that Jinx is the only one who's able to push further. Everyone else has folded in horror at the cost of what they'll have to do to have their progress, but she's chosen to become the horror. She kills the scared, uncertain girl she was at the dinner table and wholeheartedly embraces her father's desire to make topside pay back in blood every cent they took from Zaun to pay for their progress. It's only so emotionally resonant because everyone else in the story was pushed to the brink and stepped back. That's drat good storytelling.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 27, 2021

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Vermain posted:

What makes Arcane's writing work is that it has a core thematic interrogative - "What are you willing to pay for progress?" - that every character's arc is centered around, and what the setting itself resonates with. Zaun is, ultimately, the price of Piltover's progress: the sick and dying in the fissures, and the bodies of the revolutionaries on the bridge, are the price they've set for having their gleaming city on the hill. For the characters and the plot, the twist that makes the show work so well is that almost no one is ultimately willing to keep paying up when the stakes get too high. Jayce's dream of a better, united world are paid for by his ideals, and he eventually slams on the brakes when the human cost gets too high. Viktor is so desperate to live and gain a "normal" body that he risks total annihilation, and the sacrifice of Sky to save him is where he draws the line. Caitlyn puts her career and her life on the line to try and solve the case and unmask Silco for who he really is, but when confronted by the Council's stonewalling and the need to push even further, she doesn't raise her voice to support Jayce and lets Vi leave without trying to stop her. Mel practices the cold-blooded power politics her mother taught her with ruthless efficiency until the point of war is reached, and, realizing she can't stomach becoming like the mother she loathes, she backs down and votes for peace. Silco sanctions truly monstrous actions in the name of advancing his cause, but, just like his brother, is ultimately undone at the last moment by the one thing he loves more than Zaun. Vi pushes herself harder and further, over and over, willing to kill and die to get back her sister, and when all she has to do to have Powder back is pull the trigger and end the life of the one person who's shown her grace, kindness, and the possibility of something different, she can't do it.

What makes the first season a tragedy, and what makes it such an effective emotional gutpunch, is that Jinx is the only one who's able to push further. Everyone else has folded in horror at the cost of what they'll have to do to have their progress, but she's chosen to become the horror. She kills the scared, uncertain girl she was at the dinner table and wholeheartedly embraces her father's desire to make topside pay back in blood every cent they took from Zaun to pay for their progress. It's only so emotionally resonant because everyone else in the story was pushed to the brink and stepped back. That's drat good storytelling.

There's probably a throughline to draw from Jinx going no-limits in the final 10 minutes of the season, and Singed's involvement in that. He's the only other major or semi-major character who appears to have no line he won't cross in the advancement of his goals. I'd wonder if Jinx could have been pulled back from the brink - by either herself or Vi/Silco - if not for Singed pumping her full of shimmer, in effect removing definitely her physical limits (she's able to wear the offline atlas gauntlets with apparently no issue) and possibly any remaining mental ones. It's probably more tragic and/or a better story if she'd still make that same choice at the end even if she hadn't been shimmer'd, since Viktor also had a connection with Singed but still pulled back after Sky's death.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

xeria posted:

There's probably a throughline to draw from Jinx going no-limits in the final 10 minutes of the season, and Singed's involvement in that. He's the only other major or semi-major character who appears to have no line he won't cross in the advancement of his goals. I'd wonder if Jinx could have been pulled back from the brink - by either herself or Vi/Silco - if not for Singed pumping her full of shimmer, in effect removing definitely her physical limits (she's able to wear the offline atlas gauntlets with apparently no issue) and possibly any remaining mental ones. It's probably more tragic and/or a better story if she'd still make that same choice at the end even if she hadn't been shimmer'd, since Viktor also had a connection with Singed but still pulled back after Sky's death.

I think it's incredibly important that Jinx be fully in her right mind when she sits in the chair and I think the visuals support that. She's not hearing voices, her eyes aren't flaring bright purple, no one is pressuring her. She has resolved the crisis within herself and is now in total control.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

1stGear posted:

I think it's incredibly important that Jinx be fully in her right mind when she sits in the chair and I think the visuals support that. She's not hearing voices, her eyes aren't flaring bright purple, no one is pressuring her. She has resolved the crisis within herself and is now in total control.

It's also decidedly not a consequence of the Shimmer, because she doesn't act at all differently from how she's been post-timeskip. What Singed does is narratively important: he gives her complete physical autonomy in the scene. There's no one at that table who can beat her in a straight-up fight, so it becomes a proper battle of wills over who she's going to become.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

1stGear posted:

Yeah, her making this choice with a relatively clear mind is important and lesser shows would have probably danced around her being at least questionably under shimmer's influence in the moment, whether because "oh no corruption" storytelling, a need to draw out "can she still be saved??" as a narrative, etc. Singed, as really the only other character in the show who operates without any care for the cost/consequences of anything he wants, helps put her in the best position to make that choice (by, like Vermain said, giving her physical autonomy) but it's still clearly her choice.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Vermain posted:

It's also decidedly not a consequence of the Shimmer, because she doesn't act at all differently from how she's been post-timeskip. What Singed does is narratively important: he gives her complete physical autonomy in the scene. There's no one at that table who can beat her in a straight-up fight, so it becomes a proper battle of wills over who she's going to become.

I interpreted the relevance of what Singed does differently: In the last act, all the characters discover that the things they've been striving for won't work out as planned. Caitlyn fails to retrieve the gemstone, Vi fails to get Powder back, Viktor fails to cure himself and Jayce fails to find a workable solution for the political conflict. In every case, the circumstances just don't allow for their intentions. In the case of Jinx, she takes the most extreme step of blowing herself up with a bomb, but the system doesn't allow her to die. So like all the others, she goes back to her assigned role, and completes the destruction she inevitably was set up to create.

But that seems to be pretty much exactly the opposite of the interpretation other goons have posted, so maybe I'm the weird one reading historical materialism into a character driven story.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pidan posted:

I interpreted the relevance of what Singed does differently: In the last act, all the characters discover that the things they've been striving for won't work out as planned. Caitlyn fails to retrieve the gemstone, Vi fails to get Powder back, Viktor fails to cure himself and Jayce fails to find a workable solution for the political conflict. In every case, the circumstances just don't allow for their intentions. In the case of Jinx, she takes the most extreme step of blowing herself up with a bomb, but the system doesn't allow her to die. So like all the others, she goes back to her assigned role, and completes the destruction she inevitably was set up to create.

But that seems to be pretty much exactly the opposite of the interpretation other goons have posted, so maybe I'm the weird one reading historical materialism into a character driven story.

I view her pulling out the grenade as an indicator of her willingness to die rather than fail. It's already pretty well established by that point how much the thought of being seen as a failure gnaws away at her.

I don't think giving a historical materialist reading of Arcane is especially wrong or weird - material concerns are given a genuinely unusual level of focus for a fantasy story, with Silco being explicitly motivated by Zaun having control over its own economic destiny - but materialism is, ultimately, a guide railing and not a track. Material circumstances led Jinx to her inflection point at the end of the story, but she still has a choice to make: to return to benighted ignorance as Powder and renounce the political struggle she's been mired in, or to fully embrace Jinx and the ideals that Silco kindled in her. Firing the rocket at the Council at the end is an explicitly political act, and a direct repudiation of her sister, the person who once threatened to go fight the Enforcers all by herself, and who's now about a sunset and some soft violin music away from taking one to bed.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 27, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

See what happens when you date a cop. :colbert:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

She got transferred off the police force though right? And on to the counsel’s general staff.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

She got transferred off the police force though right? And on to the counsel’s general staff.

She turned that down, I think for the duration of the last 6 episodes she was basically your pick of a loose cannon, off the force, handing in her badge and her gun, etc.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Either way, I'm alright with Caitlyn as a character so far. It's vanishingly rare in any media, much less an animated series, to have a police officer that both knows and outright states that crime is a structural, systemic problem that material circumstances push people towards, and not just some nebulous evil thing that Bad Guys do. That already gives me the confidence that they'll continue to write her in a way that's cognizant of the fact that the last two years of the real world happened, and that writing in plain ol' Sheriff Caitlyn doing her cop job isn't gonna cut it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah Caitlyn isn't technically an enforcer when everyone is complaining about Vi bringing around an Enforcer but she is a former enforcer who wants to get her job back so I suppose it's not different enough to matter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are the women's police uniforms being busty and pantsless a video game thing? That was pretty cringy. Show rocked otherwise tho.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

withak posted:

Are the women's police uniforms being busty and pantsless a video game thing? That was pretty cringy. Show rocked otherwise tho.

I think the actual enforcer outfits are relatively gender neutral, it's what e.g. Greyson and Marcus wear. Caitlyn has a different uniform because her family makes sure she only gets ceremonial jobs, e.g. at the Progress Day pavillon. I don't really have any explanation for the corset / thigh highs outfit she wears on her adventure to the undercity, but all three female leads have been de-sexified compared to their pre-show in-game designs:

It's also kind of weird that Jayce apparently spends the whole timeskip pining after teenage Cait, before being poached by councilor Medarda.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

withak posted:

Female police officers wearing modest knee-length skirts as part of their uniform is pretty common historically, at least in Western policing. Hell, I grew up watching episodes of Rowan Atkinson's The Thin Blue Line in the 90s, and both Maggie and Patricia still wore one then.

pidan posted:

I don't really have any explanation for the corset / thigh highs outfit she wears on her adventure to the undercity

I completely missed it on my first time through, too, but it's an outfit Vi snags from the companion of the same dude she pulled her jacket from and tosses it to Cait to help her blend in before they visit the food stand.

pidan posted:

It's also kind of weird that Jayce apparently spends the whole timeskip pining after teenage Cait, before being poached by councilor Medarda.

I didn't really get that vibe from him. He brings her flowers when she's injured, but, judging by the gigantic stack of flowers at her door (which, in a great moment of visual comedy, is actually even larger later), it's a pretty common gesture.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pidan posted:

I think the actual enforcer outfits are relatively gender neutral, it's what e.g. Greyson and Marcus wear. Caitlyn has a different uniform because her family makes sure she only gets ceremonial jobs, e.g. at the Progress Day pavillon.

Not just her I guess :lol:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Vermain posted:

Female police officers wearing modest knee-length skirts as part of their uniform is pretty common historically, at least in Western policing. Hell, I grew up watching episodes of Rowan Atkinson's The Thin Blue Line in the 90s, and both Maggie and Patricia still wore one then.

I completely missed it on my first time through, too, but it's an outfit Vi snags from the companion of the same dude she pulled her jacket from and tosses it to Cait to help her blend in before they visit the food stand.

I didn't really get that vibe from him. He brings her flowers when she's injured, but, judging by the gigantic stack of flowers at her door (which, in a great moment of visual comedy, is actually even larger later), it's a pretty common gesture.

Her casually tossing his flowers on the floor is also a neat little way to accentuate she doesn't see him as anything but a friend or brother figure.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Vermain posted:

Ok, I totally missed that. Something to look forward to on the next rewatch.

quote:

The flowers aren't the only thing, he sneaks out of an official function to tease her about her job, tries to make her his secretary, and has some long dialogue while she's in her nightgown. It's just a strangely flirty vibe overall. But it doesn't go anywhere and is really not relevant to the plot, so probably just meant to show he's a charming guy.

DekeThornton posted:

Her casually tossing his flowers on the floor is also a neat little way to accentuate she doesn't see him as anything but a friend or brother figure.

Yup, it's fun, and also she's a lesbian.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

pidan posted:

The flowers aren't the only thing, he sneaks out of an official function to tease her about her job, tries to make her his secretary, and has some long dialogue while she's in her nightgown. It's just a strangely flirty vibe overall. But it doesn't go anywhere and is really not relevant to the plot, so probably just meant to show he's a charming guy.

FWIW, I never got that vibe from him. Jayce came across as more brotherly than anything else in his interactions with Caitlyn.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

pidan posted:

I think the actual enforcer outfits are relatively gender neutral, it's what e.g. Greyson and Marcus wear. Caitlyn has a different uniform because her family makes sure she only gets ceremonial jobs, e.g. at the Progress Day pavillon. I don't really have any explanation for the corset / thigh highs outfit she wears on her adventure to the undercity, but all three female leads have been de-sexified compared to their pre-show in-game designs:

Caitlyn just got a minor redesign in-game as well. I wonder if they'll do something similar with the rest of the Arcane characters.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Warden posted:

FWIW, I never got that vibe from him. Jayce came across as more brotherly than anything else in his interactions with Caitlyn.

Yeah, her parents were his patrons at the beginning of the show so schmoozing is probably mandatory.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jayce probably knows Cait is gay.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

teagone posted:

Jayce probably knows Cait is gay.

In line with the rest of the writing, I get the impression it's not something you'd have much reason to hide in Runeterra. The brothel scene always felt more like Cait being blindsided by Vi's total lack of subtlety or tact, and not her having a sudden gay awakening, especially considering how easily and amicably she's chatting to the female patron afterwards.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

withak posted:

Not just her I guess :lol:

that's still a ceremonial dress though as the regular uniform is seen throughout the series and is gender neutral

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Llamadeus posted:

Caitlyn just got a minor redesign in-game as well. I wonder if they'll do something similar with the rest of the Arcane characters.

They're already doing Arcane skin variants, so probably not full redesigns.

Vermain posted:

In line with the rest of the writing, I get the impression it's not something you'd have much reason to hide in Runeterra. The brothel scene always felt more like Cait being blindsided by Vi's total lack of subtlety or tact, and not her having a sudden gay awakening, especially considering how easily and amicably she's chatting to the female patron afterwards.

Yeah. It's much more 'wait, she thinks I'm cute?' than 'I just realized I am for ladies!' The writer of the episode said they went around and around if Runeterra even has terms for it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cait needed the update the most desperately out of all of them, because the combination of an ancient model and her steampunk Halloween costume was a terribly ill fit for someone who's supposed to be the self-serious chief of police. Vi and Jinx's base models still hold up well, and though their designs are the older cheesecake stuff Riot's steadily been moving away from, they at least fit the characters better than Cait's.

For what it's worth, Vi's my third most played champion and I've headcanoned her Arcane skin as her default appearance. It's just so drat clean compared to the overdesigned base skin.

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Vermain posted:

What makes Arcane's writing work is that it has a core thematic interrogative - "What are you willing to pay for progress?" - that every character's arc is centered around, and what the setting itself resonates with.

This is a super cool take that I like a lot. Conversely you have the figures of Vander and Heimerdinger, who are more than willing to pump the breaks on progress because of first hand experience of the damage the quick way can cause. Of course the harm of lack of progress is stagnation and real people suffer why they wait for 'The right time." Both face consequences: Vander in letting a powder keg simmer under his butt, and Heimerdinger in being ousted by his more eager juniors and having to come to terms with the suffering of thousands under his watch while he dawdled in his ivory tower for hundreds of years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vermain posted:

For what it's worth, Vi's my third most played champion and I've headcanoned her Arcane skin as her default appearance. It's just so drat clean compared to the overdesigned base skin.

Yeah. Vi's original skin always confused me a little. I never got quite the asymmetrical purple frill on one hip.

At the risk of getting into the LoL weeds, is Vi hard to learn? Because I've been trying to play Jinx some and she's fun and, even more handily, kind of intuitive for me.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Vi's original skin always confused me a little. I never got quite the asymmetrical purple frill on one hip.

At the risk of getting into the LoL weeds, is Vi hard to learn? Because I've been trying to play Jinx some and she's fun and, even more handily, kind of intuitive for me.

Only as hard as jungling in general is really. As far as Junglers go she's got a super safe and easily fast first clear so it's not too bad

Secretly, Vi mid is actually pretty good into some match ups. And at the very least super fun to play since you can lock down the enemy mid laner so hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

At the risk of getting into the LoL weeds, is Vi hard to learn?

She's a really easy champion to pick up, since she's only got a single point of true mechanical complexity (being able to hit her Q). The rest is all about having the game knowledge to know if going in is gonna get you killed or not, but that's something you learn over time and is pretty broadly applicable to most champions.