Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

My personal belief is that they refuse masks because they want the situation to be not bad enough to require them. Some kind of projection or cargo cult immunity.

people refuse masks because they think it makes them a pussy and/or they genuinely believe covid is a disease that wont negatively impact them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

gay picnic defence posted:

It's also worth noting that despite the massive explosion of cases in South Africa they don't have many (any? - sources vary) vaccinated people in hospital. If omicron was able to effortlessly bypass immunity from vaccination you would expect to see vaccinated people making up 30% or so of hospitalisations.
Do we know the breakdown of vaccinated vs not in the South African hospitals? All I heard was “most patients are unvaccinated,” which is not exactly surprising given that most people, period, are unvaccinated in that population.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DickParasite posted:

Anyone who votes Democrat.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

According to Urban Dictionary:

Okay, thanks.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Salt Fish posted:

What is mediocre about them? They wear off after 4-5 months, with the original 2 dose pfizer/moderna offering 0% protection against infection by 6 months.
Where are you getting that number? The VA study had one dose of JnJ at near zeo, but pfizer and moderna were still around 50% against infection at 6 months.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Gio posted:

people refuse masks because they think it makes them a pussy and/or they genuinely believe covid is a disease that wont negatively impact them

In my experience it’s that the lardy red faced gammon smelling of hamburgers and diabetes won’t wear the mask because he genuinely thinks he’s god’s gift to women, he does not like anyone else wearing masks because he can’t see their face when he is rude to them.

The lady equivalent is Karen for the same reason.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Scarodactyl posted:

Where are you getting that number? The VA study had one dose of JnJ at near zeo, but pfizer and moderna were still around 50% against infection at 6 months.

gently caress if I know where I got, my rear end probably. Here is a Eric Ding tweet about it being 16% at 6 months, close enough.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1418669725404602370

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Hoping this is what it turns out to be

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/south-african-doctor-raised-alarm-omicron-variant-says-symptoms/

"South African doctor who raised alarm about omicron variant says symptoms are ‘unusual but mild’

Dr Angelique Coetzee noticed otherwise healthy patients showing unusual symptoms and worries how the new variant might hurt the elderly"

I mean, hopefully not the elderly, but the mild part

Yeah, unfortunately an individual doctor isn't really in a position to gauge the overall distribution of severity of a variant. If it's causing "mild" symptoms severe enough to warrant a doctor visit in people who would otherwise not have had symptoms at all then it could easily be more severe overall. Or maybe not! All they can say is that they're seeing some different symptoms in otherwise "mild" cases and that it's not so different in overall severity that it's immediately obvious.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Unusual symptoms is pretty interesting.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Scarodactyl posted:

It's people reading preprints that aren't verified and heavily skewed Twitter threads much like the one idiot that said omicron has an r value of 32, making it more infectious then the loving measles virus, a true airborne infective agent that being in the same building as someone that had it can cause infections.

It's dumbasses, dumbasses all the way down.

Back to work and by loving god it's all unvaccinated fuckers that are on vents dying. My hospital will lose 25 percent of the nurses after this hell week and my last day is the 12th, leaving for a system that doesn't just gently caress everyone over every day because they have to keep filling every bed, even if the ratios became absolutely unsafe. Or you have 3 paralyzed vented covid patients to one nurse which is insanely unsafe.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Pretty colours and everything but what the hell does the “adjusted for age and….” bit mean because I wanna see that chuffing data separated out thanks.

I mean, no poo poo my 94 year old nana will probably have zero after 6 months, but would a healthy 19 year old?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Salt Fish posted:

gently caress if I know where I got, my rear end probably. Here is a Eric Ding tweet about it being 16% at 6 months, close enough.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1418669725404602370

Haven't we determined in this thread that this dude is pure hyperbole?

I don't know anything about him though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

I know the preprint of the Qatar study had protection v. Delta infection dropping to 0 after 5 months, but I'm inclined to be skeptical that it's that low because there's enough other studies with varying methodology that are closer to 50%. The final published paper also ended up with 22.5% protection after 5 months by combining all variants and maybe some other methodological tweaks (I haven't compared them closely).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Interesting. Maybe the VA study ended up being overly optimistic, though their sample size and methodology seemed really solid (to me, a geologist).

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Dumb post, ignore.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

Interesting. Maybe the VA study ended up being overly optimistic, though their sample size and methodology seemed really solid (to me, a geologist).

It's possible that Qatar and Israel might be biased low because they couldn't adjust for commorbidites / serious health conditions and those folks would be overrepresented in early vaccinations. It's tough to tell! As far as preventing infections go, 50% is great either - enough to lower attack rates a bit with very high uptake, but certainly not enough quash epidemics without additional measures.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Why aren't there videos of these choking wards? I think people don't think Covid is bad because they can't see it. It should be shoved down their throats at every turn. Pictures and video.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Why aren't there videos of these choking wards? I think people don't think Covid is bad because they can't see it. It should be shoved down their throats at every turn. Pictures and video.

Agreed, but even if all network and cable news stations showed a half hour video of COVID ICUs every night, the balkanization of information into little social media internet ecosystems means that antivax types would never watch or see it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Re the report of mild disease out of South Africa:

https://twitter.com/alexmeshkin/status/1464737318296862720

I’m leaving Meshkin’s remark on the embed because his lab is waiting on confirmation for the first Omicron case in the United States, so he’s worth watching.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why would that doctor think a particular case was likely to be omicron?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

smackfu posted:

Probably they were either sequenced or this was after omicron had taken over the region.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zwabu posted:

Agreed, but even if all network and cable news stations showed a half hour video of COVID ICUs every night, the balkanization of information into little social media internet ecosystems means that antivax types would never watch or see it.

There's a bunch of regular people who don't care about anything very much that could be brought aboard, though. My mom is one of those indecisive people who don't think politics even matters (yes, I know), but I think she only got vaccinated because she works in healthcare. Now my uncle is mostly better and my aunt is receiving monoclonal antibodies or whatever, because they were afraid of the long term effects of the vaccine.

These are the people who need to be scared.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

smackfu posted:

PCR proxy. It was discovered that when you run a PCR test on someone who's positive for Omicron, one of the primers you'd normally get a hit on doesn't. A PCR test checks for several different chunks of genetic sequence just to be sure it's not a false positive. This also happened for an earlier variant (alpha or beta I think, I forget)

They found PCR tests with that dropout and are doing a full sequence to double-check if any are Omicron It's possible it could be an earlier variant or a lab error, you wanna be drat sure before announcing the first case of Omicron in the US.

edit: here's the tweet

https://twitter.com/alexmeshkin/status/1464604739291783174

I think that guy runs a PCR lab, the s-gene dropouts are potential Omicron cases. They're going to sequence them to see if any of the s-gene dropouts are Omicron.

\/\/\/\/\/ oh were there reports of Omicron-like unusual symptoms along with the above?

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 28, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

They noticed the sudden appearance of different symptoms--severe fatigue without loss of smell in particular--and are assuming that it's from the new variant. Great if it's less deadly, but I'm still ready to duck and cover as needed.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

learnincurve posted:

In my experience it’s that the lardy red faced gammon smelling of hamburgers and diabetes won’t wear the mask because he genuinely thinks he’s god’s gift to women, he does not like anyone else wearing masks because he can’t see their face when he is rude to them.

The lady equivalent is Karen for the same reason.

I've been really enjoying wearing a mask and not smelling people as much as I normally would. Supermarket today was 20% (mostly olds) wearing masks, and the rest exhibiting a really nasty cough and arguing loudly in the aisles. Some dude belched straight in my face too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fritz the Horse posted:

I think that guy runs a PCR lab, the s-gene dropouts are potential Omicron cases. They're going to sequence them to see if any of the s-gene dropouts are Omicron.

Someone in the C‐SPAM thread quoting some charts showing that S‐gene dropout has a background rate of maybe one a day in the U.S., in whatever data subset they had access to.

e: Outbreak.info has this data now and it’s more like a few dozen.

I would look it up for specifics, except that they don’t really matter. Point is, if someone is trying to find the first Omicron case in the U.S., chances are decent that any particular sample showing S‐gene drop out will not be it. If, however, Omicron really catches on, it will quickly swamp this background noise. If labs start seeing hundreds per day, the vast majority of them will be Omicron.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 28, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
speculation: if Omicron does indeed cause notably different symptoms (less common or no loss of smell for example), would that suggest the Omicron spike protein has mutated enough that it binds differently to ACE2? so if there's no loss of smell, does that imply it's not as good at infecting the sensory/nerve cells that cause loss of smell/taste, but might be better at binding other cells which leads to the severe fatigue?

I guess what I'm asking is, would significantly different symptoms imply that Omicron spike has mutated enough that it's binding quite differently to ACE2 receptors?

Platystemon posted:

Someone in the C‐SPAM thread quoting some charts showing that S‐gene dropout has a background rate of maybe one a day in the U.S., in whatever data subset they had access to.

I would look it up for specifics, except that they don’t really matter. Point is, if someone is trying to find the first Omicron case in the U.S., chances are decent that any particular sample showing S‐gene drop out will not be it. If, however, Omicron really catches on, it will quickly swamp this background noise. If labs start seeing hundreds per day, the vast majority of them will be Omicron.

okay that makes sense. Low steady numbers of s dropouts are to be expected, but if we get reports of a surge of s-gene dropouts in a given area/timeframe, grab yer butts. Still a very useful proxy

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Fritz the Horse posted:

speculation: if Omicron does indeed cause notably different symptoms (less common or no loss of smell for example), would that suggest the Omicron spike protein has mutated enough that it binds differently to ACE2? so if there's no loss of smell, does that imply it's not as good at infecting the sensory/nerve cells that cause loss of smell/taste, but might be better at binding other cells which leads to the severe fatigue?

I guess what I'm asking is, would significantly different symptoms imply that Omicron spike has mutated enough that it's binding quite differently to ACE2 receptors?

Probably. It's been widely reported that delta causes different symptoms to covid classic too. Covid classic was more of a dry cough early in the disease whereas delta tends to cause a runny nose as the most common symptom. It would seem reasonable for something with some significant mutations like omicron to cause different symptoms compared to other strains.

What will be interesting to watch is the severity of the symptoms and it's tendency to cause long covid.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Older relative is gonna die of COVID. Morbidly obese and a smoker - in the ICU and not expected to leave. Unvaccinated of course. And the rest of his family refusing to get vaccinated still. I feel very owned as a lib! Definitely worth their lives lol.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Probably so but they're still not bothering to do it for the crowd that could be swayed. And if the issue has to do with getting permission from the patient and the hospital workers then they're not bothering to ask, because I can guarantee you there would be a lot of people like that Tiktok lady who would be willing to have their face on CNN showing what they're going through. I suspect there's something else going on and the media doesn't want to show ill people for whatever reason.

For the entirety of 2020 the only ICU footage I ever saw was the same 30 seconds. Since then there's been a couple more specials and segments but nothing like ongoing coverage of what's happening in hospitals.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 28, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Upgrade posted:

Older relative is gonna die of COVID. Morbidly obese and a smoker - in the ICU and not expected to leave. Unvaccinated of course. And the rest of his family refusing to get vaccinated still. I feel very owned as a lib! Definitely worth their lives lol.

Sorry man. Our family's thanksgiving plan fell apart because of one uncle that refused vaccination. It was going to be over a dozen people in one house so a little risky, so I'm honestly glad my uncle is an rear end in a top hat that ruined the plans.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Here's a hot take y'all

Comicron 2022

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

canyoneer posted:

My sister is a nurse at a VA hospital and boy is she tired of watching hundreds of men the exact age as our dad dying in the ICU over the last 18 months. Doesn't feel great!

Emergency medicine is going to take years to recover from the attrition

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

brugroffil posted:

Emergency medicine is going to take years to recover from the attrition

Aunt is a nurse too, and left the hospital last year because it was so miserable. Now she's working in a dialysis clinic, but still short staffed so she's putting in 60 hours/week.
She had a friend who was at an annual eye exam and was told there so much pressure behind her eye that she needs to go to a hospital immediately.
Waited at the ER for 18 hours and then was told they still don't know when she'll be seen. She called the other hospitals in town and went to another one that sounded promising, and then waited 12 hours in the ER intake room before she got seen.
It's a disaster

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Indeed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Same

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Powerful

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It was my first quote ≠ edit.

:ms:

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Salt Fish posted:

the original 2 dose pfizer/moderna offering 0% protection against infection by 6 months

Post something to back this up, or admit it's just invented.

Salt Fish posted:

Here is a Eric Ding tweet

No, dig up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

tagesschau posted:

Post something to back this up, or admit it's just invented.

No, dig up.

Make me bitch I'll cut you