Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

If it's true that the Briscoes have grown up and gotten past their prior bigotries, I wouldn't object to them being in AEW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

If it's true that the Briscoes have grown up and gotten past their prior bigotries, I wouldn't object to them being in AEW.

That’s where I’m at. They’ve done some nasty stuff in the past but from all the reports, they’ve spent multiple years getting better and trying to make up for their homophobic past. If they’re legit, I’m here for a Briscoes Redemption arc.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

send em to MLW with davey richards tbh

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Hell yes.

Lariat Tubman everyone.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

That’s where I’m at. They’ve done some nasty stuff in the past but from all the reports, they’ve spent multiple years getting better and trying to make up for their homophobic past. If they’re legit, I’m here for a Briscoes Redemption arc.
Mark was someone doing lovely takes on twitter about Charlottesville during the Unite the Rite Rally and never really apologized for it

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

send em to MLW with davey richards tbh

Davey should also be on Dynamite

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Trish Adora is maybe a top three signing AEW could make from the current crop of free agents. Willow is cool too

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CombineThresher posted:

Hack same. Someone in another thread mentioned that Jay Briscoe has done a lot of reflection on his comments and is making an effort to be a better person, so if that's the case, then yeah, I'm all for it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Partial Impact Wrestling taping results:

quote:

Decay defeated The Influence (Tenille Dashwood and Madison Rayne) & Knockouts Tag Team Champions The IInspiration in a three-way
Lady Frost defeated Kimber Lee
Matt Cardona did an in-ring promo which brought out Impact World Champion Moose. He gave Cardona credit, but called him "Mid-card Matt." The two came to blows and W. Morrissey came out to help Moose out. That brought out Eddie Edwards to run them off.
Chris Sabin defeated Matthew Rehwoldt. Deonna Purrazzo (who was out with Rehwoldt) and Knockouts Champion Mickie James had a pull apart brawl.
Jonah defeated Jai Vidal
Chris Bey defeated Fallah Bahh
Matt Cardona & Eddie Edwards defeated Impact World Champion Moose & W. Morrissey. Morrissey turned on Moose after the match.
Rohit Raju and Lawrence D (formerly Larry D) wrestled to a no contest. Josh Alexander came out and beat up both men before calling out Jonah for Hard to Kill.
FinJuice defeated VSK & Zicky Dice
Eric Young defeated Rhino in a street fight
Heath, Rhino, Rich Swann and Willie Mack defeated Violent by Design and Tag Team Champions The Good Brothers
Knockouts Tag Team Champions The IInspiration, Tenille Dashwood and Madison Rayne vs. Decay (Rosemary, Black Taurus, Crazzy Steve and Havok) -- result unknown
Chris Sabin and Knockouts Champion Mickie James vs. Deonna Purrazzo & Matthew Rehwoldt -- result unknown

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xbilkis posted:

Trish Adora is maybe a top three signing AEW could make from the current crop of free agents. Willow is cool too

I like Logan Laroux, too, but he's Wish MJF.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I like Logan Laroux, too, but he's Wish MJF.

I know I keep floating this idea but "MJF'S cousin" is one I think has legs

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The stalling on Josh Alexander getting another title shot seems kind of transparent right now because his contract is up in February.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Wasn't he akin to Speedball in terms of getting tangled up in VISA stuff?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Friday's AEW Rampage Results

Orange Cassidy & Wheeler YUTA vs. Adam Cole & Bobby Fish
Winner: ]Cole/Fish win the match with Fish pinning Wheeler IIRC. They got about 12 minutes, probably the best match of the night on Rampage.

Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D. vs. Riho (If Riho wins, she gets a shot at the AEW Women's World Championship)
Winner: Riho wins with a roll-up, so she's getting a future title shot. Pretty good match, went around 10 minutes. Crowd was kind of quiet at times, but would get bursts of energy. They were struggling to get behind Riho and clearly more into Britt. I think Riho not really having any momentum going into this match and its sudden announcement didn't help. Still was a good match though

Eddie Kingston vs. Daniel Garcia
Winner: Eddie gets the win with his spinning back hand move. Went about 15 minutes. Post-match had 2point0 do a beat down on Eddie until Jericho came in to make the save since he had that interaction with 2point0 on Dynamite. I felt like it was just alright, but the tag should have main evented. Maybe because Eddie was selling a leg injury for a good part of the match which slowed it down. Feel like they just keep giving us Kingston last to close out the shows recently to send the crowd home happy.

mod edit: no spoiler tags in the spoilers thread.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 25, 2021

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Kingston has been selling a leg injury since the day he was born.

As far as Riho goes she has the natural babyface charisma to get people behind her in any match that's not against someone more popular than she is which is just Britt and Thunder Rosa but those two are more over than most of the roster is so it's barely a fair comparison

I hate to say it but with all the Joshi wrestlers coming around they might need an Abrahantes type hype man behind the Joshi on occasions (especially the ones who don't feel comfortable cutting promos in front of live crowds that much). Maybe since Nakazawa's not doing much he can fill that roll and still be a goon. It's either that or when Joshi start rolling in more often have Excalibur brush up on his history and be their historian/hype man on commentary like Tenay was for Luchadores in WCW

Tampa Bae fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 26, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Isn't Nakamura the IC champion or did he get released/his contract ran out?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I ASSUME they means Nakazawa.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh right I forgot about him lmao

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Wouldn’t an association would Nakazawa paint the Joshis as heels straight off which some may not want?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

TV Zombie posted:

Wouldn’t an association would Nakazawa paint the Joshis as heels straight off which some may not want?
He was almost always just Kenny's friend/goon just like Cutler, he doesn't have to be a heel. He could also do his baby oil shtick that just has it backfires all the time or just goofy interactions between he and Vicky

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Add another entry to the list of reasons to hire Baliyan Akki.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I hate these "challenger beats the champion to earn a title shot" matches AEW seems to love.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tbf I do get the logic behind it in AEW specifically. If you're someone who isn't ranked #1 but you want a shot at the belt (for example, if you're Bryan Danielson and the champion is Kenny Omega), the quickest way to get that title shot is to beat the champ and shoot straight to the #1 contendership.

It makes a lot less sense in a company like WWE, where wins and losses don't matter and title shots are handed out on a whim. I specifically understand why you'd do it in AEW tho.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It even makes sense here because everyone else of note is tied up in the TBS title race.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Lamuella posted:

Add another entry to the list of reasons to hire Baliyan Akki.

Have Akki replace JR on the desk

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Venomous posted:

Tbf I do get the logic behind it in AEW specifically. If you're someone who isn't ranked #1 but you want a shot at the belt (for example, if you're Bryan Danielson and the champion is Kenny Omega), the quickest way to get that title shot is to beat the champ and shoot straight to the #1 contendership.

It makes a lot less sense in a company like WWE, where wins and losses don't matter and title shots are handed out on a whim. I specifically understand why you'd do it in AEW tho.

The challenger’s also only won once prior to this time. I’ll take it being expressly stated as the stipulation of the match over WWE’s “X has pinned the champion, could they be in line for a title shot!?l

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Venomous posted:

I agree with this, but at the same time I agree with Kosmo. If the champ loses a singles match to a challenger, it should be for the belt. If a challenger pins or submits the champ in a tag/trios match, it should earn them contendership IMO

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think I’m cool with a champ occasionally losing a non-title match as long as it’s a heel who’s leaned heavy on cheating. At this point in her title reign, it feels right to establish that Britt is at a level where she’s capable of losing to a past champ if her goons aren’t in the mix. (The match itself was kind of eh; I’m hoping it either comes across better on TV or they build some good heat for round two)

Kenny getting pinned by Christian because of interference gone awry and the Bucks getting pinned by Penta/Eddie after a ton of Bucks interference wins were similar spiritually, give the audience a reprieve from heel dominance and mark a turning point that you’re getting close to the end of a championship run. In general, it’s probably safer/cleaner to do more tag matches to set up a 1v1 title shot if you wanna pin the champ, but as long as they don’t go overboard I’m alright with their approach too.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I feel like they could have made Riho the Challenger even without needing to pin Britt. She didn't lose the rumble and is the only top 4 ranked woman not still in the TBS championship tourney.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ehhh, you could explain it away but it's not really fair. She didn't legitimately lose the CBR but she didn't win it either.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I think non-title matches are fine in the right context.

If title matches are always announced ahead of time, rather than doing the deal where the authority figure spontaneously tells the champ they are defending the belt right now, you have the cover that the champ always has time to prepare to be at their best for their title defenses. That way the champ can still have lower stakes tune up matches and face people other than the number one contender. The champ could take the match lightly, but they risk losing and then having to face that person in a title match. It also means a new champion beat the former champ at their best and didn't just catch them on an off day and got lucky.

beepo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 26, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Non title matches are fine and exist in other combat sports so I've never been bothered by them. If you regularly have the champion lose them to set up title matches then it is just lame and predictable booking.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Yeah I don't actually have a problem with it. And Riho is ranked highly enough but not in the #1 slot that it makes sense to do an Eliminator against the champ to see if she's earned the opportunity.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am fine with Riho because she was a former champion who had lost the title between and there were two other title reigns between her and Britt.

She is “on the same level as Britt” but she is not #1 contender. As a former champion, it does not devalue either person to 1) give Riho this shot and 2) have Britt lose (especially if this is connected with the Hayter match from Wednesday).

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I am not a fan of a champ especially the top belt of a company wrestle in non title single matches. If they want to do tag or trios that's fine but when the champ steps into the ring, it should be for the belt which makes it must see tv.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SundayMoney posted:

I am not a fan of a champ especially the top belt of a company wrestle in non title single matches. If they want to do tag or trios that's fine but when the champ steps into the ring, it should be for the belt which makes it must see tv.

So that Danielson-Omega match at Grand Slam was bad booking?

I think the reflex to “challenger pins champ in non-title match for title shot” is influenced by WWE using that booking on an almost monthly basis and running it into the ground. I get it, but also think AEW does a much better job with similar situations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

So that Danielson-Omega match at Grand Slam was bad booking?

I think the reflex to “challenger pins champ in non-title match for title shot” is influenced by WWE using that booking on an almost monthly basis and running it into the ground. I get it, but also think AEW does a much better job with similar situations.

I've said it before, but there is a lot of stuff that people are conditioned to think is bad booking because WWE have consistently done it badly.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Strawberry Panda posted:

I feel like they could have made Riho the Challenger even without needing to pin Britt. She didn't lose the rumble and is the only top 4 ranked woman not still in the TBS championship tourney.

was she even in the TBS tournament? because if not being in it gets you a one on one with the champ because every other challenger is busy with the tournament, wow

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Nope she wasn’t in the tournament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

She wasn't in the tournament but went up to #4 ranked while the tournament was going on.