Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

change my name posted:

Man, finding older hardware is a pain in the rear end. I’m building a midrange gaming setup for a friend off of that i5 7400 I already had and I spent like 2 hours last night trying to find a compatible mAtx or ITX motherboard that wasn’t like $150 or that would take 3 months to get here from China.

Yeah it's hard to get anything that's five generations old unless the socket was compatible with some later gen, and unless you're buying used or importing. I don't know about the quality of their consumer boards but I've got supermicro server boards from 2011 running great after I bought them used in 2016 and I've had them going 24/7 for 5 years. Here's a B250 board by them for about $80 but it does ship from china:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813183619

I've bought used motherboards on ebay in the past and the main thing seems to be to get it from someone who still has the box and is likely parting out an old system. They'll be more likely to know what they're doing. Also assemble and test it asap when you get it in case there's a problem.

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Couple of questions about returning a motherboard:

Should my Windows key remain valid if I put in a new motherboard, or will that be too much of a change for Microsoft?

This one's a bit silly: I redeemed an Outriders promo gigabyte. I still haven't got the key, and I don't really care about having it revoked, but I was a bit worried it might get me blacklisted by Gigabyte for any future support. You think I should be fine?

I have till the end of January to return it, so I'm gonna continue banging my head against it for the time being, and in the meanwhile keep my eyes peeled for more Z590 deals. I can't ask Amazon for a replacement, right (as opposed to a return)?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rexxed posted:

Yeah it's hard to get anything that's five generations old unless the socket was compatible with some later gen, and unless you're buying used or importing. I don't know about the quality of their consumer boards but I've got supermicro server boards from 2011 running great after I bought them used in 2016 and I've had them going 24/7 for 5 years. Here's a B250 board by them for about $80 but it does ship from china:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813183619

I've bought used motherboards on ebay in the past and the main thing seems to be to get it from someone who still has the box and is likely parting out an old system. They'll be more likely to know what they're doing. Also assemble and test it asap when you get it in case there's a problem.

Thankfully I got it sorted last night. I ran down the list of compatible motherboards in PCpartpicker and plugged them into Ebay one by one until I found an Asus B250 mATX board from a CONUS seller for like $75. Newegg had Seasonic 500-watt 80+ Gold SFX PSUs on sale for Black Friday for $38 yesterday so I ended up being on budget anyways.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

S.J. posted:

If you don't mind, what kind of price point is reasonable for something like that? I've been out of the loop for a while.

Google MSRP of each card and pay attention to how much you’re willing to spend over it (keep in mind MSRP of non-Nvidia FE cards is different).

A 3060Ti is a good shoot for your budget.

If you can find a 3070 or 3080 at MSRP (lol) that’s the ideal.

Pretty sure I’m going to post this every few pages now that we’re in holiday season.

Rinkles posted:

Couple of questions about returning a motherboard:

Should my Windows key remain valid if I put in a new motherboard, or will that be too much of a change for Microsoft?

This one's a bit silly: I redeemed an Outriders promo gigabyte. I still haven't got the key, and I don't really care about having it revoked, but I was a bit worried it might get me blacklisted by Gigabyte for any future support. You think I should be fine?

I have till the end of January to return it, so I'm gonna continue banging my head against it for the time being, and in the meanwhile keep my eyes peeled for more Z590 deals. I can't ask Amazon for a replacement, right (as opposed to a return)?

You are not the first person to have to return a DOA board.

You will be fine. Gigabyte will not blacklist you or any other weird poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just finished talking with Amazon support. They said that unfortunately they can't do a replacement, and that'll I have to return it. I went "Oh well, enjoy your day" to which the rep replied that actually if I order now, they'll make sure to refund the full amount of the new motherboard when I return my old one (thus keeping the old sale price).

I've had Amazon CS make promises other reps didn't want to fulfill before, so I wouldn't be surprised if things don't go entirely smoothly, but this is way more convenient for me. Also I hate that Amazon doesn't give you a transcript of your chats.

Not looking forward to undoing and redoing all the wiring, though. And I guess repasting the CPU.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

My wife got bit by the PC upgrading bug and wants to replace her GTX 970, so she can gift it to a friend. I usually look for video cards that meet a specific performance benchmark so rather than thinking in terms of upgrades, so I'm struggling to think of what I should be looking at or suggesting.

I'm guessing a GTX 1070 Ti or a GTX 1660 Super would be reasonably priced upgrades, but I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right quality or price range to have a noticeable performance improvement. Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.

A card that can support 4k video playback is what she wants most I think.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
prolly like a 2060 super or something? everythings equally loving impossible to buy. can a 970 not do 4k video? that suprises me a lot.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

LLSix posted:

My wife got bit by the PC upgrading bug and wants to replace her GTX 970, so she can gift it to a friend. I usually look for video cards that meet a specific performance benchmark so rather than thinking in terms of upgrades, so I'm struggling to think of what I should be looking at or suggesting.

I'm guessing a GTX 1070 Ti or a GTX 1660 Super would be reasonably priced upgrades, but I'm not sure if I'm looking in the right quality or price range to have a noticeable performance improvement. Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.

A card that can support 4k video playback is what she wants most I think.

There’s not enough info to go here, but a 970 > 1070 Ti or 1660 Super isn’t a huge upgrade, and the GPU market is hosed. Even for used cards. Read the last page or two of the thread for some pain.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think at pre-COVID prices a 1660 Super wouldn't be a totally unreasonable upgrade (plus it gets you FreeSync support), but you're not gonna find one short of a friend helping you out, unfortunately.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If these were normal times, you'd be able to find used 1660 Supers left and right for like $120 or so right now. Instead they're like $450 "msrp" at retail, 2x their original msrp, and cost even more from the scalpers. It's hosed.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

LLSix posted:

My wife got bit by the PC upgrading bug and wants to replace her GTX 970, so she can gift it to a friend.

Laugh maniacally at her for an uncomfortable amount of time to try to represent the absurdity of her request right now

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
What's hot in the world of AMD motherboards these days? My piece of dog poo poo Intel based EVGA mobo died after only 3 years (gently caress EVGA, piece of poo poo cuntholes that don't honor warranties or their own terms of service).

I'm looking to get the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU. This is primarily gonna be a gaming rig.

I've been looking at ASUS motherboards, as I've generally had pretty good luck with them, however there are so many loving motherboards supporting the Ryzen 9 that I have no idea where to begin :psyduck:. MSI seems cool too. Happy to try literally any brand except the fuckholes of EVGA. I don't need any flashy lights and poo poo, my PC case is a big windowless black box. It doesn't need Wi-Fi. I just want something that'll last more than 3 loving years.

On a sidenote, anyone want to buy a used Intel 9700K? Still runs great! Just needs a stable motherboard to call home! lol

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

pliable posted:

(gently caress EVGA, piece of poo poo cuntholes that don't honor warranties or their own terms of service).

Uh, I’ve literally never heard anyone poo poo on EVGAs warranty. I don’t think you’re liable to find anything better.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

DamnGlitch posted:

Uh, I’ve literally never heard anyone poo poo on EVGAs warranty. I don’t think you’re liable to find anything better.

And now you have! I absolutely refuse to buy from them ever again. I had an EVGA GTX 570 that completely died on me 10 days after the warranty expired. EVGA refused to do poo poo about it. I bought this EVGA motherboard with the loving 10 year extended warranty to not have to worry about this poo poo, and they refuse to service or replace it because the CPU pins got bent in transit (despite wrapping the poo poo out of it with bubble wrap). In their own terms of service they say if they can't repair the motherboard, they'll replace it with a refurbished equivalent or better. And they completely refuse, now

I'm extremely loving pissed about it obvs lol

pliable fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 28, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pliable posted:

I'm looking to get the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU. This is primarily gonna be a gaming rig.

Intel's newest CPUs that came out earlier this month beat out everything but the 5950X in most use cases, including gaming (and it beats the 5950X in that too). The 12600K is the sensible midrange pick that will get you more than enough performance, the 12700K is the overkill pick (here's a review that benchmarks all of these CPUs). The motherboard to pair it with would be the MSI Pro Z690-A.

If you really want to go AMD for some reason, then just get a solid B550 board, like the Asus ROG Strix B550-F.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Intel's newest CPUs that came out earlier this month beat out everything but the 5950X in most use cases, including gaming (and it beats the 5950X in that too). The 12600K is the sensible midrange pick that will get you more than enough performance, the 12700K is the overkill pick (here's a review that benchmarks all of these CPUs). The motherboard to pair it with would be the MSI Pro Z690-A.

If you really want to go AMD for some reason, then just get a solid B550 board, like the Asus ROG Strix B550-F.

Hmmmm :thunk:. Intel is back on top now, eh? Honestly I didn't know, I thought AMD was still king, hence me wanting to go with them. Thank you much for this, I'll def take a look more!

EDIT: Is there a problem with the KF CPUs? I know the KF models just lack graphics (which I don't need, I have a discrete graphics card). Seems like it's $30 cheaper too than the regular K?

pliable fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 28, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pliable posted:

Hmmmm :thunk:. Intel is back on top now, eh? Honestly I didn't know, I thought AMD was still king, hence me wanting to go with them. Thank you much for this, I'll def take a look more!

EDIT: Is there a problem with the KF CPUs? I know the KF models just lack graphics (which I don't need, I have a discrete graphics card). Seems like it's $30 cheaper too than the regular K?

The 12600KF is showing up as $30 more than the regular K and the 12700KF is the same as the K at B&H Photo for me. There's no difference between K and KF outside of the integrated graphics, so you should just go with whichever one's cheaper. And if they're the same, then maybe default to the K just in case something ever happens to your GPU and you need a backup video source. edit: And the 12600K is $5 cheaper at newegg. (I didn't check with them first because stock has been low there)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sorry everyone - I know what the MSRPs on the cards are supposed to be, I'm just not gonna hang on to any hope of getting a price that's less than double that for just about anything I'm looking at.

At any rate, what about the rest of the setup they have linked? I assume that's all fine, and I can just buy that and wait to jump on a deal on a card in the mean time if so.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 28, 2021

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

And if they're the same, then maybe default to the K just in case something ever happens to your GPU and you need a backup video source.

poo poo honestly, that's genius, I didn't think of that lol. The K is $5 cheaper than the KF it looks like on Amazon too lol. Aight I'll just get the K then, you convinced me to stick with Intel! Thank you much, much appreciated <3

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

The motherboard to pair it with would be the MSI Pro Z690-A.

Why is this the motherboard to pair it with?

EDIT: Oops post instead of edit lol

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

pliable posted:

Why is this the motherboard to pair it with?

EDIT: Oops post instead of edit lol

It seems to be reasonably priced for a Z690 board, and supports DDR4 (DDR5 is largely unavailable and what is out there is being scalped price-wise) and MSI is a decent brand.

Reasons not to get it would be desire for onboard wifi/bluetooth, or wanting to get a smaller form factor like mATX or ITX.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The KFs have MSRPs like 20 or 30 bucks cheaper than the Ks but the Ks are on big discounts because of ~*~Black Friday~*~ and the KFs aren't on as big a discount for some reason

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Korwen posted:

It seems to be reasonably priced for a Z690 board, and supports DDR4 (DDR5 is largely unavailable and what is out there is being scalped price-wise) and MSI is a decent brand.

Reasons not to get it would be desire for onboard wifi/bluetooth, or wanting to get a smaller form factor like mATX or ITX.

Yup, sounds like the perfect board for me! Thank you and to the Doc of Video Games :)

So uh, what about CPU coolers? I just got a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo v2, but it looks like I would need some sort of mounting kit? And it looks like a lot of regular CPU coolers don't support LGA 1700 natively? Any recs would be great, thank you!

Shear Modulus posted:

The KFs have MSRPs like 20 or 30 bucks cheaper than the Ks but the Ks are on big discounts because of ~*~Black Friday~*~ and the KFs aren't on as big a discount for some reason

Yeah I was referring to the MSRP being $20-30 cheaper. For a while, I was watching a 9900K and KF, and for some reason, the KF was always priced a little bit more than K. So I'm not even sure if it's limited to the blackest of Fridays, lol

pliable fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 28, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ah, yeah, the cooler mounting situation is weird. I keep forgetting about that. Most coolers will need new mounting hardware. Here's Cooler Master's LGA1700 compatibility site: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/pages/cooling/all-coolers-ready-for-intel-alder-lake-lga1700-cpu/

Looks like you'll need this kit to mount the 212 Evo v2 on LGA1700, though unfortunately it looks like you could be waiting a week for it to arrive. The Hyper 212 should be good enough for a 12600K if that's the one you're going with.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ah, yeah, the cooler mounting situation is weird. I keep forgetting about that. Most coolers will need new mounting hardware. Here's Cooler Master's LGA1700 compatibility site: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/pages/cooling/all-coolers-ready-for-intel-alder-lake-lga1700-cpu/

Looks like you'll need this kit to mount the 212 Evo v2 on LGA1700, though unfortunately it looks like you could be waiting a week for it to arrive. The Hyper 212 should be good enough for a 12600K if that's the one you're going with.

Thank you again 🙏🏼. poo poo, are AIO coolers worth it these days? I'm not gonna be overclocking poo poo, never had an interest in doing it. I've also got 3 120mm fans on the front of the PC and 1 120mm pulling air through the back. But if AIO actually helps with CPU performance, maybe I get one?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
depends on the cooler, I have a longpost written somewhere, sec

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CoolCab posted:

two kinds - all in ones or AIOs. water gets sealed in at the factory, has the pump and entire loop sealed and in one (this the name). very easy, comparatively. less risk except in case of catastrophic failure. honestly more like a split level air cooler. won't last forever too, and as soon as any component fails the unit is dead.

then there is a traditional open loop. you install a pump and series of tubes (hard or soft) and a coldplate and a radiator all the bends etc and physically fill the fucker up/drain it. more difficult, more expensive (fixtures are loving expensive) MANY MANY MAGNITUDES MORE RISKY. coolest looking. biggest pain in the rear end by a lot, upkeep sucks.

but more broadly that's the rub; they don't perform much better if at all than high end air coolers unless you are extreme overclocking (and tbh even then). they cost much more and don't last as long, but they look cooler and in theory could be quieter, since you can put more/bigger fans on your rad and more/bigger fans for the same load is quieter, although you introduce pump gurgle.

efb

you'll get some performance uplift but definitely not a ton more than a decent air cooler like you have

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
At this point my pipe dream is that they will release a 4000-series GPU and I can finally get a 3070...
:ohdear:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

At this point my pipe dream is that they will release a 4000-series GPU and I can finally get a 3070...
:ohdear:

Lol

pliable posted:

And now you have! I absolutely refuse to buy from them ever again. I had an EVGA GTX 570 that completely died on me 10 days after the warranty expired. EVGA refused to do poo poo about it. I bought this EVGA motherboard with the loving 10 year extended warranty to not have to worry about this poo poo, and they refuse to service or replace it because the CPU pins got bent in transit (despite wrapping the poo poo out of it with bubble wrap). In their own terms of service they say if they can't repair the motherboard, they'll replace it with a refurbished equivalent or better. And they completely refuse, now

I'm extremely loving pissed about it obvs lol

I mean I agree you’re the only one I’ve heard bitching about EVGA warranty support.

Before blowing up your whole build you might want to be more aggressive (or nicer if you’ve been a dick) and attempt to talk to a supervisor/customer relations. If that fails, posting at EVGA on twitter publicly has a good chance of working.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

you'll get some performance uplift but definitely not a ton more than a decent air cooler like you have

Okay so it's p much the same how it was decades ago lol. Yeah I'll stick with the air cooler, thank you!

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Lol

I mean I agree you’re the only one I’ve heard bitching about EVGA warranty support.

Before blowing up your whole build you might want to be more aggressive (or nicer if you’ve been a dick) and attempt to talk to a supervisor/customer relations. If that fails, posting at EVGA on twitter publicly has a good chance of working.

I called them and talked to them. The service rep was a dick. I was being as polite as I can be. I kept asking "please, is there anything I can do? I'd be willing to pay extra too" and the dude, for all intents and purposes, told me to gently caress off. We even got into an argument about the packing of the motherboard, and he accused me of twisting my story and poo poo. That interaction alone really turned me the gently caress off from them. Coupled with the fact that this piece of poo poo mobo died within 3 years (not 2 my bad), just, gently caress EVGA.

I already blasted them on twitter and told them to gently caress off lol. I'm done with them, I'll be getting ASUS or MSI or maybe even ASRock from now on

pliable fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 28, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

pliable posted:

Thank you again 🙏🏼. poo poo, are AIO coolers worth it these days? I'm not gonna be overclocking poo poo, never had an interest in doing it. I've also got 3 120mm fans on the front of the PC and 1 120mm pulling air through the back. But if AIO actually helps with CPU performance, maybe I get one?

90% of the time, people go with AIOs for the looks. From what I can tell, the 12600K's cooling demands are very similar to your old 8700K, with both CPUs drawing around 120W at max load. If you were happy with the 212 with that CPU, then it should do just fine with the 12600K as well. If you want more efficient cooling with less noise than the Hyper 212 will generate however, then there are relatively inexpensive air coolers that can get the job done just as quietly as AIOs, such as the Scythe Fuma 2 (LGA1700 mounting bracket required). This thing is seriously good and whisper quiet. It only falls behind higher-end coolers once the CPU power draw gets up to the upper 100s in watts (such as with a 12700K). At that point, AIOs start making more sense, especially if you want to do overclocking. There are high-end $100+ air coolers that are fairly competitive at that range though, such as the Noctua NH-D15, Deepcool Assassin III, or Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4. And then at 12900K levels (240W stock max power draw), those three can prevent thermal throttling with very good case airflow, but even then that CPU is gonna get toasty, and with bad airflow it might start throttling. At that point, you'll really want a bigass 360mm AIO.

So TL;DR: You're probably good. I don't think your performance will be harmed if the 212 managed to keep the 8700K cool fine. Only go with a bigger cooler if you're interested in reducing noise (which is a valid concern imo).

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

So TL;DR: You're probably good. I don't think your performance will be harmed if the 212 managed to keep the 8700K cool fine. Only go with a bigger cooler if you're interested in reducing noise (which is a valid concern imo).

Yeah with my 9700K it seemed to work just fine. Noise isn’t too much of an issue, I’m used to idle fan noises and poo poo.

I’ll probably just grab the LGA1700 mounting kit and call it a day! Thank you all again ❤️❤️❤️

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Are there any more systematic approaches to making a CPU fan curve, or should I just go by hand and ear? I don't want to end up with excessive (or any) throttling, but I'm not sure how to analyze the thermals. Some kind of stress test while monitoring HWiNFO?

Right now, anytime the temps touch ~55C the fan goes into vacuum mode, if only for 2 or 3 seconds. The BIOS' silent mode is an improvement over the default, but still not great.

And a related question, I was going to ask this before but I forgot, and this'll be relevant again because I'm going to be swapping mobos. Any tips for making sure the mounting pressure is right? I switched screws every few turns of the screwdriver, but by the end I wasn't confident how equal they were. And I was worried about going too far. I stopped just after the resistance noticeably increased (I hope that wasn't too far).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 28, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Are there any more systematic approaches to making a CPU fan curve, or should I just go by hand and ear? I don't want to end up with excessive (or any) throttling, but I'm not sure how to analyze the thermals. Some kind of stress test while monitoring HWiNFO?

Right now, anytime the temps touch ~55C the fan goes into vacuum mode, if only for 2 or 3 seconds. The BIOS' silent mode is an improvement over the default, but still not great.

And a related question, I was going to ask this before but I forgot, and this'll be relevant again because I'm going to be swapping mobos. Any tips for making sure the mounting pressure is right? I switched screws every few turns of the screwdriver, but by the end I wasn't confident how equal they were. And I was worried about going too far. I stopped just after the resistance noticeably increased (I hope that wasn't too far).

Using a windows program to do fan curves is usually much easier than using your system BIOS since you can do it in real time while under load and see how your system reacts. I would download Argus Monitor, use it to create a custom fan curve, and then test that fan curve against some game benchmarks and maybe Prime95. I would make a fan curve that allows the CPU to reach into the 60s or maybe even the low-to-mid 70s during high loads if it means I don't have to hear the fan much. In your case, the motherboard is expecting a normal cooler where heavily ramping up the fans at 55C is maybe a bit aggressive but fairly normal and not too outrageously loud. It is not aware that you have a loving A500 screaming its head off. How I would go about this is finding the highest fan speed that I consider either inaudible or quiet enough that I easily forget about it, and then make that speed the baseline idle speed. Then I would find the loudest fan setting that I'm comfortable with and make that the ceiling (with most coolers this would be 100%, but definitely not with an A500, which for me would be maybe 65% lmao). I would then start the ramp-up at around 40C and make it top off at the ceiling at around 75C, with maybe an additional emergency fan ramp at around 85C. You can do either an curving ramp with a gentle start or a straight ramp. The gentle ramp may be quieter at moderate loads but will get louder more suddenly at high loads, while the straight ramp will have a more consistent noise increase that may be less jarring. Once you get something you're happy with, mark down the values you're using and transfer it over to your BIOS so you don't have to use Argus (it only has a 30-day trial)

This is how I approach a Ryzen CPU. Intel may have different characteristics. This is how I do PWM case fans too, though I make the curve more aggressive for the GPU's benefit since the CPU almost never reaches the top of the fan curve when gaming.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 28, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks, exactly what I was hoping for.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Been thinking about building a PC again as mine is loud and pushing 7 years, probably 10 for some parts. Is there a way to get GPUs for near-MSRP in Canada provided I'm willing to wait? Newegg Shuffle doesn't seem to exist here, unless I missed something.

Also: Does anyone have any idea when DDR5 will be available? My current PC is functional, so I don't mind waiting if it'll be possible to pick up the next generation of RAM in early 2022 or something.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Came across this NZXT system that is a little better than the Omen system that got posted a few days ago:
https://nzxt.com/product/streaming-plus-pc

Seems decent; it's discounted to $1800 in-cart with a RTX 3070 Ti. I know nothing about the case but the system does have a liquid cooler

Built out in PCPP without the GPU:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($340.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken M22 Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: NZXT N7 B550 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power Gaming 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $934.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-11-28 04:03 EST-0500

The RAM, Power Supply, and Storage are hand-waved, I just picked the lowest-cost equivalent-ish part. So roughly $900 for the 3070 Ti. The case is a little funny looking but doesn't seem to be completely proprietary

Toms Hardware reviewed this specific product, giving it 3 stars. But its cons list is stuff like "No streaming-specific features" (lol who gives a poo poo). The product in their hands also had a bunch of different internals
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nzxt-streaming-plus

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 28, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The H510 is a good case that's worth $70 or so. Not the best airflow and I'd rather get the Corsair but it's not bad.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Turned on new PC this morning and ethernet stopped working completely. For anyone having similar issues these helped me

Reddit posted:

Intel and board partners have been pretty miserable at distributing info about the potential "fix" for this, so here is what intel claims should help prevent the constant link disconnects and poor performance:
  • download 1.45 firmware and 1.0.1.4 driver (it's the same FW/Driver for every i225V): https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/04LAN/I225V_Intel_Gigabit_Ethernet_Driver_V1.0.1.4_WIN10_64-bit.zip
  • uninstall any old i225v drivers
  • run the firmware install in admin mode
  • shut down, unplug computer for a bit like a hard router reboot, turn it back on and install 1.0.1.4 driver
  • go to the your adapter driver settings, disable power saving features, manually set speed and duplex instead of auto negotiation (intel claims 2.5gb negotiation with certain routers can cause this problem so might want to set to 1gb to see if it works first)
  • stay on the 1.0.1.4 driver, newer drivers can break the fix

ASUS ROG b-550f btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

LLSix posted:

My wife got bit by the PC upgrading bug
You can pick up a moderately more powerful 1070 or 1660 for 400-500 dollars right now which would obviously be overpriced but not ludicrously so, though the way you describe her interest makes me think getting price gouged for a moderately more powerful card isn't really what she'll be happy with. Unless she has a specific benchmark in mind I'd say wait. Word is there's going to be an msrp best buy nvidia drop at 12 pm edt the 29th.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 28, 2021