Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Robo Reagan posted:

redditors really need a crash course on how to avoid weirdos because none of these nerds can think for themselves and realize theyre hanging out with an rear end in a top hat

I think it's more Becky is trying to find a replacement husband because she's clearly not dealt with her grief

Or she's trying to break the two up by banging him. Either one really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Woodchip posted:

GF (28) wastes incredible amounts of food and gets upset when I ask her to work on changing this. It is driving me nuts.

quote:

You're right. She was raised in a wealthy household. Her parents were wealthy but covid was a trainwreck for them and they lost most of their import/export business. Right now I also have to pay them 1000 1200 a month because I kinda felt the responsibility of helping them out since I have been dating their daughter for 8 years.
Dude... you've been dating this girl for less than a year (sorry, the 7 years of LDR - you didn't actually learn this poo poo about her so it doesn't count). Get out.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Which rom-com movie is this because it reeks of that poo poo.

I'm pretty sure it's House on Haunted Hill.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I think it's more Becky is trying to find a replacement husband because she's clearly not dealt with her grief

It's both.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah, she's definitely trying to use him as a replacement husband. I thought at first she'd told other people that he's her new boyfriend or whatever and that's why she was so mad for having her lie revealed, but that doesn't really make sense given that it was at an annual event where people already know each other. So I guess everyone knows she's lost it and is just going along with it.

Yeah, everyone deals with grief in their own way, but if your way is by being crazy and out of touch with reality, then other people should really not go along with it. These stories are always kind of sad in seeing how so many people think it's actually good to enable extremely unhealthy behavior.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cobalt-60 posted:

Those who live in glass houses...wait a minute...

Okay that is a twist I absolutely did not see coming. Well done.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yeah, she's definitely trying to use him as a replacement husband. I thought at first she'd told other people that he's her new boyfriend or whatever and that's why she was so mad for having her lie revealed, but that doesn't really make sense given that it was at an annual event where people already know each other. So I guess everyone knows she's lost it and is just going along with it.

Yeah, everyone deals with grief in their own way, but if your way is by being crazy and out of touch with reality, then other people should really not go along with it. These stories are always kind of sad in seeing how so many people think it's actually good to enable extremely unhealthy behavior.

Could also be that Becky told friend group that OP and her husband had broken up, which would explain why she tried to get OP to stay at home looking after the kids, while husband went to the party.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

wizardofloneliness posted:

This is much worse than being just out of touch with reality, she's like... trying to destroy her friend's marriage and near literally steal her man.
This is maliciously crazy.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Have an absolute poo poo-lord who's doubling down in the comments!

AITA for not paying for my girlfriend's petrol after borrowing her car?

quote:

I (28/m) scheduled a garage appointment last week, on a weekday, to have my car's original suspension installed and change to winter tires. The garage I use is in my hometown and I work in the city, about 45 minutes away. Since my girlfriend (24/f) works from her apartment (we don't live together), I told her I would be taking her car.

On the evening before the garage appointment, I drop my car off at the garage after work, have my gf come and pick me up, drop her back off at her apartment and then I go home (We live around 7 minutes from eachother). Her car had around 3/4th of the tank full left of petrol. The next day I drive the 45 minutes to work, and sit in traffic on the way back for around 1 hour 30-45 minutes and head to the garage to pay, since the garage closes at 5:00pm and it was already 4:45pm at that point. After, I pickup my gf and drive back to the garage to get my car.

As I'm walking away, my girlfriend pulls me aside and mentions how I've left her with less than a quarter of petrol and that she assumed I would at least fill it to where it was. I told her I didn't have time to stop at the gas station before paying at the garage since they closed. She mentions that I could have gone after, before picking her up. At this point I'm annoyed, because I just want to go home after working all day, so I tell her I'll fill it during the weekend when she comes over.

Over the weekend I paid for breakfast as I usually do.

On Sunday evening I mentioned that I'm going to go and put petrol in my own car and she asks about filling hers up. I told her that I wouldn't be filling hers up, since I had paid for breakfast over the weekend. She points out that she also paid for our supper on the Friday, she bought ingredients and made me the cheesecake I asked for. I told her we take turns paying, and me paying for her breakfast was also me paying for her petrol. She then brought up that this was the second time in a row that I hadn't filled the petrol in her car after taking it for work, and that she wouldn't be "allowing" me to take her car anymore when mine is in the garage. I laughed in her face and told her I would transfer her 10$ for the petrol if she was going to be so petty. I didn't transfer her any money or put any petrol in her car.

It ended up costing her 70$ to fill her tank, she did ask for the 10$ from me, but I told her if she asked again she would be paying for herself at the dinner date I planned this weekend. She says I'm an rear end in a top hat that doesn't fullfil his promises, I told her that I didn't promise her anything.

Tl;dr - like the title says, I borrowed my girlfriends car while mine was in the garage and didn't fill it up with petrol after, even though I had used the majority of the tank. She nagged me about it but I stood firm and didn't pay since I paid for breakfast over the weekend as I usually do.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Evil Willow posted:

Have an absolute poo poo-lord who's doubling down in the comments!

AITA for not paying for my girlfriend's petrol after borrowing her car?

How do you tell someone you are gonna fill the tank later but never do?!?!? Prime rear end in a top hat

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I love how frequently, "I didn't want to deal with being called on being an rear end in a top hat because I worked all day," shows up in these stories. Doesn't matter how his gf feels about him taking advantage of her, because he's tired from working (she also worked but because she works from home it obviously doesn't count).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Edit: wrong thread

zombienietzsche
Dec 9, 2003

PancakeTransmission posted:

food wasting etc

Dude... you've been dating this girl for less than a year (sorry, the 7 years of LDR - you didn't actually learn this poo poo about her so it doesn't count). Get out.

All day I've been thinking about this, how if the home cooking is a little oversalted she'll just order takeout/delivery instead. I know she's fishing for any excuse to not eat the food, but I like to imagine this dude dumping so much salt into his cooking that your typical takeout seems the paragon of restraint.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

quote:

, I told her I would be taking her car.

Maybe I’m just sensitive about this sort of thing but told instead of ask or agreed really sticks out to me here.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Maybe I’m just sensitive about this sort of thing but told instead of ask or agreed really sticks out to me here.

Oh you're not.

quote:

She's my girlfriend, therefore I can use her car when I need. Especially since she works from home and doesn't need it!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for calling my stepdad "pathetic" and my mother "spineless" during Thanksgiving dinner?

quote:

I'm [19F] and using a throwaway because my siblings use reddit

I know it sounds bad, but here's the gist:

I've got 2 siblings [15F] [17M] and while I lived in mom and stepdad's household (currently at University) I was tasked with most chores (washing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning, running errands, you name it) while my siblings had none. Their reasoning? "You're older." I protested this many times, telling them my siblings were old enough to also share the chores, but step dad always shouted me down and called me ungrateful after he "put a roof over my head and fed me". That's been a line he's thrown at me endlessly.

My siblings have been given anything they want (allowance, gifts, electronics) but if I asked for something, I was told I didn't need it. That's why I started babysitting at 12 so I could buy my own goods. I've worked since. They stopped buying me basic goods (like sanitary products) as soon as I started working.

I'm at University on a full scholarship because I knew early on I'd be on my own on this front. I worked my rear end off to get into my top choice. I love it there. I feel free and in control of my life.

The issue came during dinner. Mom, stepdad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were there. I was talking to an aunt who'd congratulated me on getting into my university and step dad says loudly: "trashafgiving thinks her fancy college makes her better than everyone else as usual."

I can't explain what was different this time, but I snapped. I told him he was pathetic for picking on me all my life when all I'd done was try to be a good kid. And I told my mom she was spineless for letting him treat me this way. And I left. Which felt like the right thing to do at the time. I slept at a friend's and got a train back University the next day.

My mother has since called me distraught, like full on sobbing, saying I was being over dramatic and that I humiliated them. She says that I'm ungrateful because "look at how well you're doing. That's because of us".

And I just don't know. I feel bad she's this hurt. People have it worse. I am doing well. I have a family to come home to. I just don't know. Am I being dramatic? Am I the AH?

*Update:

I can't tell you how validating these comments have been. I never talk about my family IRL because deep down I think I feel ashamed of how my family treats me. So this has been helpful, really. I don't have it in me yet to tell them what I need to tell them outright, but I do have it in me to go no contact. They don't fund any part of my life so the only thing they can hold over me is themselves. I'm writing an email now to let them know not to contact me and that I won't be contacting them until I'm ready to communicate.

Brother texted "mom wont stop crying hope ur happy". Sister texted "this sucks" ...so there's that. I love my younger siblings, but I'm going no contact with them as well before I figure out what I want.

Thanks for the support.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

zombienietzsche posted:

All day I've been thinking about this, how if the home cooking is a little oversalted she'll just order takeout/delivery instead. I know she's fishing for any excuse to not eat the food, but I like to imagine this dude dumping so much salt into his cooking that your typical takeout seems the paragon of restraint.

I'm sure it's just an excuse and not grounded in any reality.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Don’t know about you
But I am uuuun CHIEN!

AITA for wanting my boyfriend to make clear our daughter's name was his idea?

quote:

My (24F) boyfriend (26M) an I had a baby girl a few months ago. Everyone, both on my family and his, were afraid that I was going to choose a weird name for the baby. I didn't want to create drama around that and didn't want to became one of those people so I basically delegate the name issue to my boyfriend. I thought he was going to want a "normal" name but he end up also preferring an unusual one, Andalusia.

He asked me if I like it and I said yes. I think the name is beautiful. The issue is that when other people on our families knew about the name, they thought that it was my idea and don't believe me when I told them it that was my boyfriend's. I asked him to start telling people directly that it was his choice. He didn't like that because he says I shouldn't be "ashamed" of our daughter's name. I told him that wasn't the point. I think that my complain is logical, I shouldn't have to tolerate all the criticism for something that wasn't my choice, even if I totally agree with the choice itself.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dude even said in the comments that if she did to him what he does to her, he'd break up with her for it. Seems like an awesome guy to keep around! /s

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

They're very pretty horses. OP's child already getting a head start on crazy.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
If you want your kid to have a normal name you could just name them one of those? Like maybe this is the time to start taking responsibility for things?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not letting my pregnant niece get into my pickles?

quote:

First, my niece (i'm her aunt), we'll call Kay is pregnant. She and I are the major dill pickle eaters in our family. I would sometimes buy a higher priced brand as a treat for myself especially if I've had a bad week.

the last 2 jars I've bought she took and ate most of the jar! Like I'd only gotten a couple of pickles and she'd find my jar and just eat the rest with no thought to the fact they were MY PICKLES! She never offered to pay me for them or even asked me, She asks my mom if she can have some and even my mom is shocked when she sits there and cleans the jar, juice and all (I like the juice too so I don't judge) and my mom has apologized to me multiple times because I would buy those and, like I said, I treat myself with a pricier jar.

I work like a dog so that my elderly mother doesn't overwork herself trying to prepare for thanksgiving and as a "thank you for everything" she bought me a 2 quart jar of pickles. She knows that once the leftovers are gone I'll veg out on the couch with a jar of dills. My niece wanted pickles and asked if we had some, I told her we had hamburger pickles and she flat out whined "I don't want those". next thing I know she's hunting through our pantry and finds my jar.

Kay: what are these for?

Me: those are mine

kay: what for?

Me: Those. Are. MINE.

I could tell she wasn't happy I wouldn't let her have any but I have little doubt by the time she left half that jar would have been gone and that just can't be healthy for her or the baby and again they're MY PICKLES! she's been obnoxious about the whole 'it's for the baby' spiel, which frankly, I don't buy. Not for a whole jar of pickles or a 2 quart jar of pickles.

so, AITA for not letting my pregnant Niece tear through my "thank you" gift from my mother?

edit: i failed to mention she's on baby no. 2

edit 2: I have mental handicaps and live at home with my mom. I don't have a car, I have a limited income, and she comes around (imo) for the free babysitting cuz she'll only stick around until close to time for her partner to get off work, we get stuck with her and her wailing 2 yo for up to 8 HOURS and frankly, yes, I am severely annoyed with her.

update: I guess this was the turning point where she realized I wouldn't roll over for her anymore. she came in with her own pickles and asked if she could keep them in our fridge for when she visits. they were Vlassic baby dills, A kind I don't really buy so there is no way I'll confuse them for my Claussen (aside from the packaging) She has now said that she realized how rude it was to ask me about the jar after I confirmed ownership and has agreed to keep a jar of her own around our house. Pickles keep so even if she doesn't visit for a week they won't go bad.

Progress ;)

r/relationships: no thought to the fact they were MY PICKLES!

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not letting my pregnant niece get into my pickles?

r/relationships: no thought to the fact they were MY PICKLES!

man, i'd throw hands if someone took my pickles

I guess to be fair, it seems like this is the first time she's actually said something about it to the niece.

but all that sodium can't be great for pregnats?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

She better not have busted open that box of olives

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
Claussen loving slaps, I'd have some choice words if someone ate all mine too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for making a joke about riding my gf in front of her family because her brother was being rude to me?

quote:

My gf is significantly taller than me as she is about 6’1 and I’m barely 5’6. I really love her and everything but she comes from a family of pretty tall people and her little brother tried giving me poo poo. So I met her family for the first time the other day. Her dad is like 6’2 while the mom is 5’10. Two older brothers are like 6’3 and 6’2 while the younger brother is 6’0 and has a older 6’0 sister. All kinda skinny af to, look like a box of pencils. I got broomsticks thicker than that family. But yeah they are pretty tall compared to me but mostly pretty nice and fun to talk to. Eventually they call down her youngest brother to meet me. He’s a bit of a dickhead unlike the rest of the family and the first thing he does when he meets me is laugh and say no way. I try to play it off but he kept going and asked me if his sister gives me piggy back rides.

I tell him”I only ride your sister one way and it’s not piggy.” in front of her whole family. Mixed reaction as her older brothers laughed while her sister and younger brother looked grossed out. Dad stayed awkwardly silent while the mom awkwardly laughed and said everyone should hurry to the dinner table before food got cold. My gf and I hang back and she asks me why I would say that in front of her entire family. I told her it was too good of a joke to pass up and I kinda just instinctively said it. She groaned and we went to the table for dinner. All was good.

Next day though my gf told me her parents started telling her they didn’t think my joke was cool and they felt awkward all night so she wants me to apologize to them. I argue with her for a bit about it but reluctantly agree to to just get over this. I don’t think what I did was an rear end in a top hat move though. They should be the ones embarrassed for raising a rude don like that. Who is the rear end in a top hat?

Needless to say, he's not accepting the verdict.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
That dude should team up with the "shows up to gfs parents house wearing a shirt with a naked picture of her printed on it" guy to teach best boyfriend ever classes

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We have a more local company called "Wickles" that make pickles and pickled okra, but spicy. I'd start a fight over those things.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Girlfriend Stole My Pokemon While I Was At Work

quote:

Relatively speaking, this isn’t that big a deal. So my girlfriend and I both bought the newly remastered Pokemon’s, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. I bought it a couple days before her. Me buying it is what inspired her to find her switch and buy it as well (although she had expressed interest prior so it’s not like the only reason she got it was because of me). Anyway, she was asking me to trade her some of my Pokémon from a region she hadn’t gotten to yet. I suppose I was being unnecessarily stubborn as I insisted that she wait until getting to those regions to get those Pokémon because there’s a reason the game makers don’t allow you to get them sooner. I still offered to trade to help her evolve some of her current guys but she refused.

Yesterday I went into work. When I got home, she wasn’t there (at a friends house). I decide to play a bit. I find my switch on my bed, not in the tv connector where I left it. Upon getting on I notice my starting roster is all weird. I immediately suspect what happened but go to a poke center to be sure. She cleared me out. She only left me with my starting Pokémon (I assume either because I nicknamed it it “cumrag” or because she also started with Turtwig) and like a million bidoofs and budews (likely filler Pokémon she used to initiate the trades.

I text her and try calling but she doesn’t reply. I find her switch but she put on a parents lock that only she know the code to so I can’t get in. Eventually at like 1am she gets home while I’m playing Xbox and immediately gets in the shower before I realize she was there. I wait for her to get out and when she does she tries to gon straight to sleep. I don’t let her and tell her to give me my Pokémon back. She says I should have traded with her and she’ll give them back if I let her keep just a few. It feels so weird having Pokémon held for ransom. Anyway, should I leave her?

Edit: For context, we’re in our mid 20s

help reddit im dating somebody from team rocket

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mx. posted:

help reddit im dating somebody from team rocket

lmao

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Please tell me what was ai generated and not a real human sat down to write that to ask what they should do.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blight rhino posted:

man, i'd throw hands if someone took my pickles

I guess to be fair, it seems like this is the first time she's actually said something about it to the niece.

but all that sodium can't be great for pregnats?

Sudden cravings for pickles is a pretty standard pregnancy trope. Little bugger probably needs a lot of salt for something important.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He really doubles down in the comments, it's pretty gross. It's so rude and disrespectful that I want to believe it's fake, but I know there are lots of lovely people out there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sorry you chose turtwig, this is what you deserve.

Real truth though; just sever. It sounds petty but its a calculated betrayal of your communal trust to obtain assets for her exclusive use. If it were pretty much anything else from priceless momentos, money, or salt shakers everyone would be saying the same thing

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Mx. posted:

Edit: For context, we’re in our mid 20s
IQ? Sure, I’d buy that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Zil posted:

Please tell me what was ai generated and not a real human sat down to write that to ask what they should do.

I don't think it's at all unreasonable to ask about what to do, it's an insane situation to be in so basically any reaction to it is gonna also feel insane.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

two rules if you want to be in my life

1) don't touch my Pokemon
2) don't touch my pickles

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Picklechu

Edit: whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
you can tell its rage bait if you have ever played pokemon seriously, because if he was really that into pokemons he wouldn't care about that poo poo. he'd just be trying to beat the game in 5 hours so he could transfer his farm of dittoes off Home and get back to breeding 5 and 6 iv competition mons to mash nerds online. and thats just one of many ways you can tell that. another is that its loving ridiculous

e: but i got some wickles in the fridge (cuc. and okra) and im about to get down