Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
There’s a 3rd Pushmo?!? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah it’s the best one too

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There Pushmo, Crashmo and Stretchmo - they all have different mechanics, and Stretchmo's a not-actually-free-to-play game where you basically have to buy all the level packs for the average cost of a Pushmo game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

3DS era Nintendo had some weird rear end monetization schemes but they were actually pretty consumer friendly. Pokemon Picross had those purchasable gems and if you spent $30 on them they unlocked unlimited gems and prevented you from giving them more money. Could you imagine if Candy Crush did that?

$30 is pretty steep for Picross these days. I wonder how much the Picross games on DS cost when they came out.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

3DS era Nintendo had some weird rear end monetization schemes but they were actually pretty consumer friendly. Pokemon Picross had those purchasable gems and if you spent $30 on them they unlocked unlimited gems and prevented you from giving them more money. Could you imagine if Candy Crush did that?

$30 is pretty steep for Picross these days. I wonder how much the Picross games on DS cost when they came out.

Is it actually a good Picross game? I'm... not against paying that money necessarily. I just don't know how much I care about Pokémon, you know?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It was fine. Jupiter made it and I don't remember it being bad. If you got a hacked 3DS I'm sure you could find a cracked version pretty easily.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I haven't hacked mine yet. I should probably get on that one of these days.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I think you can get unlimited gems through Luma.

Hack that 3DS. It's completely risk free and games are so much better with cheats. Especially anything that eliminates the grind.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can do so much cool poo poo jailbroken, such as natively play GBA games and play hacks like the excellent Majora’s Mask one I listed above.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I just got a refurbished (seems to be working fine so far) New3DSXL with Super Mario 3D Land and loving it. I was expecting the 3D effect to feel like a gimmick but I was delighted by the first few levels. I'm actually overwhelmed by how many games there are for this handheld generation that I completely skipped the first time around.

Is there a goon-approved master list of must-haves and underrated gems?

Also, is it safe to buy games on the eShop given that it's shutting down soon? I'm worried that I'm already too late to beat the scalpers getting hold of all the existing physical stock of 3Ds games...

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
The Etrian Odyssey series is very tied to the DS/3DS hardware and awesome. Start with 4 or 5 - they're all unique experiences.

loopsheloop fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 8, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So has there actually been an announcement that Nintendo's shutting down the 3DS/Wii U eShops, or is this all premature panicking over the fact that Nintendo has chosen not to update its obsolete consoles' firmwares to support new security requirements and is going to be stopping credit card sales on the consoles themselves next year? Asking because there are a bunch more 3DS titles and even maybe one or two Wii U games (mostly Virtual Console on the Wii U admittedly) that I'd pick up if the stores truly are going permanently down sometime soon.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

So has there actually been an announcement that Nintendo's shutting down the 3DS/Wii U eShops, or is this all premature panicking over the fact that Nintendo has chosen not to update its obsolete consoles' firmwares to support new security requirements and is going to be stopping credit card sales on the consoles themselves next year? Asking because there are a bunch more 3DS titles and even maybe one or two Wii U games (mostly Virtual Console on the Wii U admittedly) that I'd pick up if the stores truly are going permanently down sometime soon.

Wait so buy things you'd have to have credit already stocked up before hitting up the store?

I may have to buy a couple things soon too then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, you can still use digital money cards or buy stuff directly on the web store, just not the 3DS itself.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

nemesis_hub posted:

Get all the Sega Ages 3D Classics if you have any interest in retro stuff. Make full use of the system.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I'm just assuming that the ending of credit card sales on the console is an omen of the end looming. I'm partly just being anxious since I'm so late to the party.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Commander Keene posted:

I wouldn't think they are going to shut them down; The eShops aren't disparate services like you might think, they're just hardware clients all pointing at the same MyNintendo network on the backend. Sony does the same thing with their consoles, it's just been around a generation longer with the PS3 and PSP (And the PSP's storefront was killed off because they literally can't reach the store anymore). Removing direct credit card sales eliminates the need to have some poor soul commit to ensuring that banking systems touching the outdated consoles can't be exploited in any way. But because you can still use your account balance, topped up through a modern safe method like your browser or current-gen console, there's no need to kill the access altogether.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wait so buy things you'd have to have credit already stocked up before hitting up the store?

I may have to buy a couple things soon too then.
They are literally ONLY removing the ability to use a credit card to add funds directly from a 3DS or Wii U. You can still top up using eShop cards (which add funds to your Nintendo account and can be used across devices, like the PSN, IIRC) and purchase off of Nintendo's website using a credit card (my preferred method because the eShops are kinda poo poo to browse), it's just like with Sony, they don't want to have to expend the time and effort keeping security on those old devices up to date for the minimal revenue it gets them.

At least that's how I understand it, but I've seen a couple people on here predicting doom for those eShops and was wondering if I missed something.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

nemesis_hub posted:

I just got a refurbished (seems to be working fine so far) New3DSXL with Super Mario 3D Land and loving it. I was expecting the 3D effect to feel like a gimmick but I was delighted by the first few levels. I'm actually overwhelmed by how many games there are for this handheld generation that I completely skipped the first time around.

Also, is it safe to buy games on the eShop given that it's shutting down soon? I'm worried that I'm already too late to beat the scalpers getting hold of all the existing physical stock of 3Ds games...

3D Land is the one I've played the most of - it's a great showcase for the system and the 3D effect in particular.

I have quite a few games in my backlog (kept hoovering up deals locally) that I need to play/play more of. The ones I'm most interested in:
Ocarina of Time - never played it on N64
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - not sure if I'm a Monster Hunter guy, but lots of people have sunk hundreds of hours into this. One of the titles that makes good use of the C-stick
Luigi's Mansion 2 - started this, was fun and kinda cute
MarioKart 7 - a very decent port by all accounts
New Yoshi's Island (or is it Yoshi's New Island? The title text placement drives me nuts) - only played a bit of the original on SNES
Smash Bros - haven't really played Smash since the original, don't really have anyone to play with, but maybe it's fun against CPU?

Ones I don't have:
Zelda: Majora's Mask - if you run custom firmware there is apparently a patch with a bunch of QoL improvements that make it the "definitive" version
Zelda: Link Between Worlds - have heard great things about this, probably need to just suck it up and buy it for AU$30
Terraria - played a lot of this on PC, mostly just curious how it handles on 3DS and some of the console-only items/mobs.
Captain Toad - similar to Terraria; have played it on Wii U and just want to check it out/see what the differences are like

Ones I've bounced off of:
DK Country Returns - I dunno, something about newer DK titles just doesn't work for me. I liked this one more than Tropical Freeze on Switch but not enough to keep playing past around the 30 minute mark. I went back to play the original to see if it was just rose coloured glasses and nope, still slaps.
Kirby Triple Deluxe - like most Kirby titles, just kinda easy and I got bored

Of regular DS games, I've played the hell out of Carcassone and the Simpsons game. Been meaning to try Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Spirits Tracks, as well as the Sim City ports.

Edit: forgot to mention, pick up a cheap eBay/AliExpress charging cradle. My 3DS now lives on my desk and is always fully charged and at arm's reach - I got through a fair bit of Mario 3D Land waiting for Fall Guys matches to start earlier this year.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 8, 2021

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

They are literally ONLY removing the ability to use a credit card to add funds directly from a 3DS or Wii U. You can still top up using eShop cards (which add funds to your Nintendo account and can be used across devices, like the PSN, IIRC) and purchase off of Nintendo's website using a credit card (my preferred method because the eShops are kinda poo poo to browse), it's just like with Sony, they don't want to have to expend the time and effort keeping security on those old devices up to date for the minimal revenue it gets them.

At least that's how I understand it, but I've seen a couple people on here predicting doom for those eShops and was wondering if I missed something.

Yeah, that's how it's been in Europe for a couple of years already, due to EU regulations. It's completely effortless to just use the web store instead (or get eShop gift cards I guess).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can also just top up your wallet on the switch eshop

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

You can also just top up your wallet on the switch eshop

At this point I'd probably just get OoT, LBW, and DKC Returns. I also want to try those NES Remix games. They look fun but are always at full price amazingly enough. And maybe Wooly World. I keep chasing that Yoshi's Island high, and no Yoshi game has come close to that. I hear Wooly World isn't half bad though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got a Japanese 3DSLL and I'm way too lazy to figure out how to get eShop working on it, if possible at all. Guess I should have just picked up a NA XL like a normal person.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Random question that people may or may not know the answer to:

Where does the 3DS store Virtual Console game saves, and what format are they stored in?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh shoot they're going to stop letting use credit cards on the console eShop client? I don't actually know how to buy stuff on the actual eShop website, I should probably figure that out. Then again I have so much stuff on this console that I haven't beaten, why do I need to buy anything new :v:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You could still buy and redeem gift card codes, I believe.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, and the actual Nintendo website is so much easier to browse and purchase things on that I've been using it for quite a while in preference to using the individual console eShops.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I use DekuDeals to track when things I want are on sale. I don’t think it works for 3DS though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Any hidden gems that people may have missed? Eshop only stuff? Other than pocket card jockey which, as we all know, is the GOAT.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SeANMcBAY posted:

I use DekuDeals to track when things I want are on sale. I don’t think it works for 3DS though.
PSPrices.com does, though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Annath posted:

Random question that people may or may not know the answer to:

Where does the 3DS store Virtual Console game saves, and what format are they stored in?

I don't imagine it's any different than most retail games, e.g. just a save file you can grab/modify using FBI

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC Virtual Console save files are stored the same location logic as normal retail game save files (ie. in their own directory corresponding to the game's internal ID). There are three separate files in the directory; one for the emulator settings, one for the game's simulated SRAM, and one for the VC save states (the one manual Restore Point and the one automatically created when you shut down the game). If you're just looking to manually back up your saves, Checkpoint and (IIRC) JKSM will both work just fine without any fiddling. If you're looking to modify or insert save files you need to remember that the VC emulator will always load that "end of session" Restore Point if one exists, which complicates things.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just noticed 3DS batteries of various sizes are back on the NA Nintendo shop, if anyone needed one.

Been playing Ridge Racer 3D a lot lately. I wish it was 60fps but I still think it's my favorite in the series. The car handling feels great.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Nintendo doesnt put their own 3DS games on sale anymore on the eShop, they used to for Black Friday and around E3 but it's been like 2 or 3 years now since the last time they put their own stuff on sale on the eShop for those sales. Capcom and like Square Enix still do from time to time.

I would buy some of those Nintendo games digitally, but not for full price. I don't know why they don't, would they really keep them for porting/re-mastering in the future? On a system without a dual screen? I doubt it but who knows.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's probably just deemed "not worth the time" to put games that old from a dead console on sale any more.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I was using my 3ds and the charger just fine one night. The next day when I plugged it in it wasn't charging any more. It hasn't been yanked around or anything and the port feels secure with just the normal amount of wiggle.

Do the chargers just go kaput? I have a spare at home but I am away at the moment so don't have a spare. I might just go to a local game store to check it.

Is there anything I can do to try to get this up and running?

It's so strange, it was charging. I unplugged, when I plugged again, it wouldn't charge.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Waltzing Along posted:

I was using my 3ds and the charger just fine one night. The next day when I plugged it in it wasn't charging any more. It hasn't been yanked around or anything and the port feels secure with just the normal amount of wiggle.

Do the chargers just go kaput? I have a spare at home but I am away at the moment so don't have a spare. I might just go to a local game store to check it.

Is there anything I can do to try to get this up and running?

It's so strange, it was charging. I unplugged, when I plugged again, it wouldn't charge.

Chargers do just go kaput, but more likely it's the port.

Which model do you have, exactly? If the 3DS itself is broken, it depends on your model for options.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
n3ds XL. The port looks fine. Nothing bent. And if I manipulate the charger it doesn't do anything. So I kind of doubt it's the port as that would just be a connection issue.

I guess it's possible it got shorted out somehow.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do you have a DSi somewhere you can test the charger with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

hatty posted:

Do you have a DSi somewhere you can test the charger with?

I am away from home and my other chargers/devices.

But yes, at home I have all sorts of chargers and systems I can use to check. But I don't have a dock, which would be nice right now.