Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dutymode posted:

Yes - trying to temporarily reduce reach to bars while on the indoor trainer. I was imagining some sort of bar that'll clamp to the handlebars like that, and that's as close as my googling could find. I was being vague, the issue is my wife is getting very pregnant, and it's getting hard to lean over that far.

I gotcha now.

You’re on the right track if you want a temporary solution. You could do something like that but an actual handlebar with grips https://www.rei.com/product/203178/shotgun-handlebar or an adjustable stem might work if the primary concern is the height and not the reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I gotcha now.

You’re on the right track if you want a temporary solution. You could do something like that but an actual handlebar with grips https://www.rei.com/product/203178/shotgun-handlebar or an adjustable stem might work if the primary concern is the height and not the reach.

Sweet, that might be exactly what I'm looking for!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Hell, if it's just on the trainer and you don't move the front wheel, have a positive stem pointed towards you

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I updated my iPad to iPad OS 15.1 , and now Zwift can’t pair with any of my BLE devices. I’ve rebooted , and re-installed the app. They show up in the Kinetic or Cateye apps.

Is there something else I should check? I was going to try companion but there’s no “settings” on the pairing screen to switch that in Zwift either.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am having some problems with my bike cadence measurement, its laggy as gently caress and its frustrating. Its a cheap chinese ant+ cadence measurement and the only solution i have found is "you have too much electronic poo poo around your bike dummy!"

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I am having some problems with my bike cadence measurement, its laggy as gently caress and its frustrating. Its a cheap chinese ant+ cadence measurement and the only solution i have found is "you have too much electronic poo poo around your bike dummy!"

Time to get a power meter. Those measure cadence.

Real answer: Does it have a battery? Have you tried replacing it?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Partycat posted:

I updated my iPad to iPad OS 15.1 , and now Zwift can’t pair with any of my BLE devices. I’ve rebooted , and re-installed the app. They show up in the Kinetic or Cateye apps.

Is there something else I should check? I was going to try companion but there’s no “settings” on the pairing screen to switch that in Zwift either.

Is there a new option in Bluetooth settings on iOS to allow new connections?

Do the devices show up in there OK?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I didn’t see any new settings. BT is allowed in the app settings and I hadn’t changed it. The BTLE things don’t seem to ever show up in the system Bluetooth list, but I don’t think they should .

If I open the kinetic app my inride and cateye hrm all show up right away. Ill try rebooting all my electronics in case they paired to something somewhere that’s goofing up Zwift.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Partycat posted:

I didn’t see any new settings. BT is allowed in the app settings and I hadn’t changed it. The BTLE things don’t seem to ever show up in the system Bluetooth list, but I don’t think they should .

If I open the kinetic app my inride and cateye hrm all show up right away. Ill try rebooting all my electronics in case they paired to something somewhere that’s goofing up Zwift.

Have you tried quitting both those apps instead of leaving them in the background?

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Maybe I do actually want e-connectivity stuff. I understand there's some adapters that let you turn your dumb trainer into a pseudos-smart trainer; are they worth hassling with? I don't see how they can figure out wattage without having some way to measure load but maybe they're more clever than I am.

I use the kinetic rock and roll trainer (bike sways left and right) with the extra flywheel and their $50 inride sensor which connects to zwift on an old ipad. I ride with a power meter all the time outside and I find for the most part the power curve is relatively accurate. You just can't immediately spin up to 800 watts, but you can stop pedaling and still be 'pedaling' :).

This setup has a nice feel and is definitely cheaper than going full smart trainer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I would die of a heat stroke during anything harder than tempo with that dinky fan setup.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Get a trainer mat or something like that too

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

I would die of a heat stroke during anything harder than tempo with that dinky fan setup.

2 Lasko blowers and one 18" air circulator minimum. Also leaving the garage door open even though it's 11C out.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I did a ramp test yesterday with a tower fan on a chair in front of me. Don't think it affected the measurement but I definitely need something more powerful if I'm going to be training indoors more through the winter.

Gonna get zwift too, trainerroad is nice but in the end I'm not interested in hardcore training for racing and it's boring otherwise.

Also my FTP/kg is up to 3 now, nothing amazing but a big improvement over the last couple of years of long term injury when it was less than 2.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Heliosicle posted:

Gonna get zwift too, trainerroad is nice but in the end I'm not interested in hardcore training for racing and it's boring otherwise.

Gamification does help for some people, but I find watching a film while doing trainerroad is just as good.

And the Zwift interface / graphics are offensively bad.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

wooger posted:

Gamification does help for some people, but I find watching a film while doing trainerroad is just as good.

There’s no chance I’m able to focus on a movie when I’m doing hard TR intervals. Endurance stuff, sure.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Have you tried quitting both those apps instead of leaving them in the background?

I had. This time I removed Zwift from the iPad, rebooted it, and my iPhone in case in my goofing I'd connected something inadvertently.
Re-installed Zwift, and this time I was able to re-add the devices.

Sort of disappointed that I missed out on a Thanksgiving day ride, as the time I had was taken up playing with the devices, but we're back to rocking and rolling!

Thanks for the suggestions!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

Grats on not enjoying the film and not nailing your workouts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nailed a .86 90 minute workout today and it felt loving good. Gonna be a big fat crit boy come April.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Is there a recommended guide on adjusting your bike/trainer to respond to aches/pains that become more obvious with it being stationary?

So far I've been going with trying to reduce pressure points by adjusting things opposite the ache, like angling the seat down more or moving the cleats on my shoes. I'm wondering if I'm missing a broader fit issue by playing with that.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Partycat posted:

Is there a recommended guide on adjusting your bike/trainer to respond to aches/pains that become more obvious with it being stationary?

So far I've been going with trying to reduce pressure points by adjusting things opposite the ache, like angling the seat down more or moving the cleats on my shoes. I'm wondering if I'm missing a broader fit issue by playing with that.

In general you shouldn't be angling the saddle down more than a couple degrees unless you have a serious saddle-bar drop and really good hip flexibility/rotation. We don't really have enough to go off of, but in general sitbone pressure point issues are the result of too high of a saddle position, the wrong saddle, or perhaps even you've been sitting on saddles wrong this whole time.

If you are suffering from discomfort on one side of your bum in particular, that is a pretty strong indicator that your saddle is too high.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Yeah I'd be hesitant to mess with stuff like cleats too much if things worked fine on the road, you can quickly lose a sense of what felt normal and unless you take pictures/measurements of everything you might lose your old fit.

With my fit sorted then I feel comfortable in either situation, I just have to stand up every so often on the trainer and remember to keep things relaxed since there are fewer distractions and I'm more aware of how everything feels. Indoor cycling does highlight imbalances in my body more since I move around less, I've had to work on those outside cycling though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Also absolutely get out of the saddle more often when on the trainer. I spend 99% of my time in the saddle on most outdoor rides, but I find I get out of the saddle quite often indoors, even if just for a few seconds at a time.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

There’s no chance I’m able to focus on a movie when I’m doing hard TR intervals. Endurance stuff, sure.
When adaptive training wants to know how my workout felt this is literally the metric I use between "hard" and "very hard". Did I have to pause my movie? Must have been a "very hard" kind of day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

When adaptive training wants to know how my workout felt this is literally the metric I use between "hard" and "very hard". Did I have to pause my movie? Must have been a "very hard" kind of day.

I had to turn it off because it was constantly trying to downgrade my future workouts. I don’t think I ever rated anything more painful than “hard” either.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I have one of the really cheap kind of trainers and I can never get good contact with my wheel so I've been doing some shopping and found this high end trainer for stupid cheap:

https://www.dedhambike.com/product/tacx-neo-2t-smart-369647-1.htm?variations=3713636&keyword_session_id=vt~adwords|kt~|mt~|ta~382721098032&_vsrefdom=wordstream&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzfuNBhCGARIsAD1nu-_qrDgqQ8R1Gn1NTzbbiqpCrGGkQNCiDPiM5UB5nOGS_t6Si4p2iBIaAtdUEALw_wcB

It is by all appearances the legitimate site of a real bike shop. But everything about this price for this item is screaming "scam" to me.

Should I risk it with a credit card?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's almost certainly a typo of $1299 and your order will get cancelled but worth a shot

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Looks like they already corrected the price online. I guess now all I do is wait for a cancellation e-mail or a shipping notice. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Oh fun. I just refreshed the page again and now it says, "This manufacturer currently prefers that we only sell this item in our retail store. Please visit us soon." 5 minutes ago you could at least still place an order.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Finally pulled the trigger on the kickr core during a Black Friday sale. 600 EUR new was too tempting to pass up. Got the biggest fans I could find on Amazon and they are doing a fine job, definitely worth it.

Currently trying out Zwift, but I’m not sure it’s for me. My screen setup isn’t the most immersive and I didn’t get much out of the MMO aspect that I’ve seen so far.

Any suggestions for apps with high intensity, spin class style workouts? I mostly want to work hard and blast embarrassing hardstyle music while doing it.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

Serendipitaet posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on the kickr core during a Black Friday sale. 600 EUR new was too tempting to pass up. Got the biggest fans I could find on Amazon and they are doing a fine job, definitely worth it.

Currently trying out Zwift, but I’m not sure it’s for me. My screen setup isn’t the most immersive and I didn’t get much out of the MMO aspect that I’ve seen so far.

Any suggestions for apps with high intensity, spin class style workouts? I mostly want to work hard and blast embarrassing hardstyle music while doing it.

TrainerRoad is the classic if all you want is interval workouts and no fancy visuals. I use it 5x a week and love it, even though some say it's a little pricey for what it is.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

DJ Burette posted:

TrainerRoad is the classic if all you want is interval workouts and no fancy visuals. I use it 5x a week and love it, even though some say it's a little pricey for what it is.
This is the route that I go with as well. If you wanted something more "spin" oriented then I think some folks in here and recommended the Peloton app before. I think that's right; Not positive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wahoo SYSTM has a trial and it may be more up your alley if staring at a graph isn’t your jam.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
drat, as expected my Tacx order was cancelled.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Serendipitaet posted:

Have you used the event module yet? Join the EVO or 3R structured morning rides.

Zwift has a plethora of options for everyone. Some people just like to ride alone and replicate their solo outdoors experience. There's also organized social group rides, training group rides, group workouts, races, solo workouts, etc.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah, everyone thinks riding around the world is the long term attraction of Zwift when actually it's the ability to race people in that world that keeps bringing me back.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Vando posted:

Yeah, everyone thinks riding around the world is the long term attraction of Zwift when actually it's the ability to race people in that world that keeps bringing me back.

:hmmyes:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

drat, as expected my Tacx order was cancelled.

Can’t imagine a shop would be willing to lose their rear end on selling a trainer way under their cost.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
This probably explains the rhythmic thumping noise & feeling that's been getting slowly (and then suddenly) worse over the last couple weeks. Also explains the two mysterious flat tires in the last few days.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Too many watts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Too many watts

Even the top end DD trainers can only handle ~2,300 of my watts, I’ve taken to using a water wheel for a flywheel