Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Devorum posted:

I'll rewatch the Oaths scene, but Hawking's siege of the Tower was FY 974-994. That's about 1,150 years prior to the start of the series, 998 NE.

Well crap. I think *my* wires got crossed. I went and looked at the trivia and there isn’t a reference to how long the Oaths have been a thing. But I didn’t think I was drawing knowledge from the books, so it must have been something said on the show, then.

Regardless, if the Tower has stood for 3000 years that is longer than 2000 years so the dialogue is all technically true. The best kind of true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tsob posted:

The really baffling thing to me is that the X-Ray feature is available when viewing shows through the website, but not the dedicated app.

I watch through the dedicated app, and I get a pop-up with the current X-Ray information and a button linking me to the Bonus Content every time I mouse over the window.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CainFortea posted:

They're all tacticians, they know how effective the pincer attack is.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

AngryBooch posted:

So did my boy Mat pick up a cursed sentient dagger and fail his will save or what? Has he actually channeled anything and I'm forgetting?

he's vomiting because he's pragnet

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I waited my entire life for this show and it was worth the wait.

gently caress, Liadrin is more of human being in a handful of minutes of TV than she was in 14 books. I don't even really need to go into more detail beyond that to convey my glee. I love everything they're getting exactly right and I love every change. This must be what Lord of the Rings fans felt like after walking out of Fellowship.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sanguinia posted:

gently caress, Liadrin is more of human being in a handful of minutes of TV than she was in 14 books. I don't even really need to go into more detail beyond that to convey my glee. I love everything they're getting exactly right and I love every change. This must be what Lord of the Rings fans felt like after walking out of Fellowship.

Yeah, more or less. Was the movie *exactly* the book? No, of course not! Was it as faithful an adaptation as anyone could possibly have hoped for? Yeeeep.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, more or less. Was the movie *exactly* the book? No, of course not! Was it as faithful an adaptation as anyone could possibly have hoped for? Yeeeep.

Again, why are book readers posting here instead of the spoilers thread and comparing the books to the show?

E: it's not this post specifically but I noticed it happening alot when catching up

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shageletic posted:

Again, why are book readers posting here instead of the spoilers thread and comparing the books to the show?

E: it's not this post specifically but I noticed it happening alot when catching up

I don't know why you're surprised when this happens literally every time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why didn't rand and thom take mat to the nearest cvs pharmacy to get some antibiotics

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I was specifically talking about Lord of the Rings and its movie, and thought that would be a fine thing to post here??

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

I don't know why you're surprised when this happens literally every time

Lol fair enough. It's just so odd.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

silvergoose posted:

I was specifically talking about Lord of the Rings and its movie, and thought that would be a fine thing to post here??

I think the question was more like “why is this thread not a non-book-readers-only zone, the other thread talks about the show too”

And my answer is “I have nothing better to do than follow two threads and compartmentalize my reactions”

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh.

Yes, same. The amount I want to talk about the show exceeds one threads-worth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The castle in the opening of ep 4. is Segovia Castle in Spain:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The Segovia castle is really impressive to see in person. Yet another medieval fortification that sort of grew from reasonable defensive structure to grand Disney palace over a few hundred years of renovations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sanguinia posted:

Does it grow into more than this? Like, I think it's fine, pretty good even, this last episode was the best it's been so far. But I have trouble believing people would become zealous fans of this; it's just a bit too bland and joyless compared to something like the LOTR adaptations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Does it grow into more than this? Like, I think it's fine, pretty good even, this last episode was the best it's been so far. But I have trouble believing people would become zealous fans of this; it's just a bit too bland and joyless compared to something like the LOTR adaptations.

No, it's awful and everyone who loves the books has inferior taste compared to you. I'm just glad we all know it now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

No, it's awful and everyone who loves the books has inferior taste compared to you. I'm just glad we all know it now.

Weird response but okay

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think the show is doing a great job with what it has to work with and it bears constant repeating that the first book's content is like night and day compared to the general vibe of literally the other 13 books + the prequel novel. if you're not really into what's going on right now then sure, but i would say to at least give it to the end of the season since it's working in some later stuff. beyond that, don't force yourself to watch if you don't like it. there's a multitude of reasons why this series has sold an absolute fuckload over the decades and most of that discussion is not fit for this thread.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hakkesshu posted:

Perhaps 4 episodes that cover half a book of a 14 book series are not fully representative of the material :thunkher:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know why everyone assumes I don't like it when I said I think it's pretty good. I would just like to hear more about what it becomes.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Hakkesshu posted:

If the show continues to up in quality at this rate then yeah its going to be pretty loving great. LOTR goes right out the window pretty quickly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hakkesshu posted:

If the show improves on track at the same rate that the books do, yes. I don't think it's really a spoiler to say this, but the first book is mostly just setting the baseline so that the author can start mixing things up and getting interesting with it in the later books.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know why everyone assumes I don't like it when I said I think it's pretty good. I would just like to hear more about what it becomes.

it's all spoilers.

suffice to say, the books stop being heavily Fellowship of the Rings very quickly and become their own thing with a much broader stew of influences

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Hakkesshu posted:

It’s hard to answer this question about what happens in later books in a non spoiler thread! Best I can do is echo JJ and say that after this book there’s basically no similarity to LOTR.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's not that I want spoilers, just more general information about how the narrative evolves and what sort of themes and parallels it starts addressing. But I guess I'll look elsewhere if people are afraid of being spoiled.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hakkesshu posted:

The WoT's had a pretty poor reputation online for a while, and though I think that's turned around some lately some fans are still hyperdefensive.

I'm sure they'll chill out.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's not that I want spoilers, just more general information about how the narrative evolves and what sort of themes and parallels it starts addressing. But I guess I'll look elsewhere if people are afraid of being spoiled.

I'll pm you

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hakkesshu posted:

Hrm.

Trying to walk the line on spoilers --

What I think I can say is that WoT sortof falls halfway between LotR and GoT thematically. The author attempts to deal "realistically" with how all the characters -- both protagonists and antagonists -- would deal with a stock fantasy "dark lord is bringing the end of the world and an apocalyptic battle, but there's a chosen one" situation.

So the idea is to subvert standard fantasy tropes by showing realistic character change and political dynamics and so forth in such a situation.

And that means the first book has to establish those fantasy tropes, so it may feel kinda familiar and generic to some readers.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Hakkesshu posted:

My answer to this is yes. Book 1 was, in many ways, nothing special. Books 2 and 3 are, and in my opinion the quality continues to rise without a break until Book 8 (which is not to say the books 8 and beyond are bad, but Book 8 is when IMO they stop getting unambiguously and unceasingly better every time). They're already accomplishing more than I would have thought possible adapting the material of Book 1. If the quality of the show continues to go up every episode, like it has been, and the quality continues to rise in parity with the books rise in quality, this could be the legit Next Big Thing by the time next season is over.

When I first started reading these around 4th Grade, it was book 2 that made me what you'd call a "zealous fan," and start consuming them as fast as I could read them. I think what we're seeing it more than good enough to keep people hooked, and when it truly hits its full stride it could actually be the Next Big Thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Good replies, thanks!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

primarily there's just the initial hump of 'why is it so much like lotr' to get through where the show is basically making you eat your vegetables before it gets to the cooler showstopper events later on

jordan was an author that even grrm was getting advice and encouragement from back in the day so if people like weird political intrigue and poo poo it will have you covered

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Sanguinia posted:

There were a lot of fans bitter over Fellowship. Mad that Tom Bombadil had been cut, or that Glorfindel had been replaced by Liv Tyler.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

th3t00t posted:

There were a lot of fans bitter over Fellowship. Mad that Tom Bombadil had been cut, or that Glorfindel had been replaced by Liv Tyler.

I probably should have specified emotionally healthy Lord of the Rings fans, as opposed to the obsessive grognard weirdos. In high school I was only tertiarily aware of the Tom Bombadil weirdos because they were such a vocal minority. The Glorfindel fans weren't even noticeable.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Devorum posted:

Jordan did write Conan novels prior to Wheel.

I've been reading those. They are, in fact, horny as HELL.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sanguinia posted:

My answer to this is yes. Book 1 was, in many ways, nothing special. Books 2 and 3 are, and in my opinion the quality continues to rise without a break until Book 8 (which is not to say the books 8 and beyond are bad, but Book 8 is when IMO they stop getting unambiguously and unceasingly better every time).
I'd put it around Book 4. But if the show keeps up the pacing and character development as well as the past few episodes, it could in some ways exceed it.

Johnny Joestar posted:

primarily there's just the initial hump of 'why is it so much like lotr' to get through where the show is basically making you eat your vegetables before it gets to the cooler showstopper events later on

jordan was an author that even grrm was getting advice and encouragement from back in the day so if people like weird political intrigue and poo poo it will have you covered
I've gotten better with this over time as just another way the Wheel spins out similar stories over and over again. But yeah - it's totally Fellowship down to similar names of characters.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t really understand the problem, nobody is spoiling anything and it’s perfectly normal for new viewers to interact with people who already know a property. What is there to be angry about?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

jng2058 posted:

Oh, definitely. You can tell he restrained himself a lot in Wheel.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Oasx posted:

I don’t really understand the problem, nobody is spoiling anything and it’s perfectly normal for new viewers to interact with people who already know a property. What is there to be angry about?

I definitely saw book spoilers hidden behind what should have been assumed as show spoiler tags earlier on, but fortunately it seems the show watchers missed it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Johnny Joestar posted:

why didn't rand and thom take mat to the nearest cvs pharmacy to get some antibiotics

They'd need a prescription and their primary care provider got carried off by Trollocs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

jng2058 posted:

and as I just confirmed they are all available for Kindle