Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I got a Logitech G915 wireless keyboard for some occasional use back from the computers a bit. I was using my Durgod Fusion but it kept getting weird lag if I was spamming inputs that seemed very much like it was some issue where it was jamming key presses into a buffer and them flowing back out at a slower than normal rate or something. It was fine most of the time but when I need to strafe and duck and jump really fast it was letting me down. The Logitech is pretty nice but the slim switches are a bit different. Even my Havit low profile board feels different than the romer low profile ones. I tried both the tactile and clicky versions and they both felt decent to use. Not sure I have a preference but considering the cost (it's a $200 keyboard which is more than I'd usually consider paying but we were doing a christmas deal) I kept the clicky and my friend got the tactile. There's not much to be done about customization since it's kind of meant to be used as purchased, but that was my plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The cheapo keyboard appears to forget my last used settings when it loses power (so any time I reboot or unplug it). I can't find a manual. And there's no support on the manufacturer's website as far as I can tell (they claim the regular price is $70? :psyduck:).

Is there some kind of utility that universally handles this kind of thing, or am I probably out of luck?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

Didn't you have one of the cheap Keychrons, the Q1 is a very different board

Yeah you are right, I had a look, those are upper end boards.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I mostly miss the dedicated F keys. TKL could be the way to go, but I think 60%+F row might be ideal.
70%/75% are awesome because they have f keys, ins, home, end, del, pgup, pg down when built correctly. They frequently have ortho F keys which are a double edged sword. If you don't know how to hit your normal F keys then "1 but higher" is easy. If you're good at typing then they're slightly inferior to staggered. Especially if you regularly use right side of keyboard f keys with left hand while gaming or mousing.

I've always been surprised that 70%/75% didn't catch on because it's real nice. Sub 70 is largely aesthetic/fashion and is missing too much functionality for my tastes. In the tasks that don't require the extra keys they are cool.

I had a keycool 84 but it has 45ms input latency which is unbelievably stupid. It registers key downs pretty fast (appears to report at 1000Hz, very little debounce delay on key down) but it only registers key ups 45ms after a key down. This kills double taps and destroys shift key functionality while typing. It effectively gives it a 22Hz scan rate despite its actual scan rate being much faster.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 28, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Exit Strategy posted:

My current project is the Karnstein Armlet, a miniaturized Hard Light circuit tied directly to a Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W with a battery, touchscreen, and additional radios. For network pentesting.

okay one more: the Wardcliff Coil. All the keycaps are spring loaded and when you press the space bar they all fling themselves directly into your face.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Looking for a good intro mech board for my partner. It needs to be wireless (bluetooth or dongle is fine), 75% (or 65%? I'm not sure which, it just needs dedicated arrow keys and no numpad), and have linears or tactiles. Under $200, under $150 ideally since it's more of an intro board. It'll be used with a mac, so a well-placed command key is important. Don't care about RGB, but anything colorful and cutesy is very much appreciated. Hotswap would be a bonus too, but that's a pretty rare feature I'm pretty sure? It would be nice to have something customizable though.

From my limited knowledge it seems like Keychron could be a good choice, besides being pretty grey. I know this thread has complained about customer service, but if I order through Amazon which I could return to would that be fine?

Taffer fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 30, 2021

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Taffer posted:

Looking for a good intro mech board for my partner. It needs to be wireless (bluetooth or dongle is fine), 75% (or 65%? I'm not sure which, it just needs dedicated arrow keys and no numpad), and have linears or tactiles. Under $200, under $150 ideally since it's more of an intro board. It'll be used with a mac, so a well-placed command key is important. Don't care about RGB, but anything colorful and cutesy is very much appreciated. Hotswap would be a bonus too, but that's a pretty rare feature I'm pretty sure? It would be nice to have something customizable though.

From my limited knowledge it seems like Keychron could be a good choice, besides being pretty grey. I know this thread has complained about customer service, but if I order through Amazon which I could return to would that be fine?
Consider a Vortex Race 3: https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Vortexgear-Mx-Brown-Aluminium/dp/B072LZ2YRM?th=1

+ 75% with dedicated arrow keys
+ switchable between PC/Mac, and has spare caps with the appropriate symbols
+ has optional colourful accent keys
+ keys feel great
+ powerful hardware macro feature

- has a lot of non-standard cap-sizes on it which I find extremely difficult to replace. That said, I really like the default caps so it's not a major problem for me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Vortex isn't wireless

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

teethgrinder posted:

- has a lot of non-standard cap-sizes on it which I find extremely difficult to replace. That said, I really like the default caps so it's not a major problem for me.

You weren't kidding about this, look like it has 1.5u Esc and Del keys

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

repiv posted:

The Vortex isn't wireless

He can have any board he wants as long as it's a Keychron.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Taffer posted:

I'd highly recommend a KBD67 Lite. There's some wireless, black, and maybe a few other colors, still in stock right now for $125: https://kbdfans.com/products/kbd67lite?variant=39591205863563

You'll still need switches and keycaps, but it's hot-swap, wireless, and a very high quality board. I'd go so far as to say the best keyboard you can buy at that price.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Taffer posted:

RK84 might fit the bill: https://smile.amazon.com/RK-ROYAL-K...=KEYBOARDS&th=1

Keychron is probably the best bet for Mac compatibility though. Currently 20% off if bought from Keychron themselves.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Spoke with her a bit more after looking at some options, wireless is not a requirement, which should hopefully make finding a good fit easier :)

mariooncrack posted:

RK84 might fit the bill: https://smile.amazon.com/RK-ROYAL-K...=KEYBOARDS&th=1

Keychron is probably the best bet for Mac compatibility though. Currently 20% off if bought from Keychron themselves.

RK ones stood out to me visually when I was searching, what's their quality like? Is anything remappable? Thinking mostly about the cmd/option keys.

teethgrinder posted:

Consider a Vortex Race 3: https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Vortexgear-Mx-Brown-Aluminium/dp/B072LZ2YRM?th=1

This looks nice too, thanks! Not super into the color, but we'd likely buy a keycap set anyway to get her something more personal. But if these are non-standard maybe that wouldn't work?

Gearman posted:

I'd highly recommend a KBD67 Lite. There's some wireless, black, and maybe a few other colors, still in stock right now for $125: https://kbdfans.com/products/kbd67lite?variant=39591205863563

You'll still need switches and keycaps, but it's hot-swap, wireless, and a very high quality board. I'd go so far as to say the best keyboard you can buy at that price.

I've never bought a kit like this before, how much work is involved? I'm plenty handy but I don't really want to do a bunch of soldering, is this basically just putting some parts together? If so that makes it pretty appealing.

Another question on keycaps - are the different profiles mostly compatible on different boards? Would I need to get a specific profile, like cherry/DSA or something? My only experience messing with a mech board is changing out switches, never bothered with caps since I'm happy with the ones that came with my moonlander (my only mech).

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Taffer posted:

Spoke with her a bit more after looking at some options, wireless is not a requirement, which should hopefully make finding a good fit easier :)

RK ones stood out to me visually when I was searching, what's their quality like? Is anything remappable? Thinking mostly about the cmd/option keys.

Quality is good for the price. It doesn't rattle too much. It's still a plastic keyboard. Not sure about the software and being able to remap, I would assume not. There may be some OSX specific software that can do the remapping for you.

https://novelkeys.com/collections/bfcm/products/nk65-rfp-edition

This is on sale for another few hours. It can be remapped for sure. It's hot swappable too. I think it meets all of your requirements. Comes with either linear or clicky switches.

Edit:

Taffer posted:

I've never bought a kit like this before, how much work is involved? I'm plenty handy but I don't really want to do a bunch of soldering, is this basically just putting some parts together? If so that makes it pretty appealing.

You need a screwdriver. It's a hot swap board, so it's like putting legos together. The switches just pop right into the board.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
MacOS natively lets you remap the modifier keys on a per-keyboard basis in System Preferences.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

And iirc the RK84 either comes with Mac keycaps to swap or has a Mac edition on their website, I don't remember which

Edit: finally had time to look at their website and it seems like neither of these is true, sorry. Not sure what board I was thinking of. It is programmable, but I never needed that on mine so I can't attest to what that actually means in practice

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 30, 2021

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ChineseBuffet posted:

MacOS natively lets you remap the modifier keys on a per-keyboard basis in System Preferences.

I did not know this, thanks.

After doing a lot more looking it sounds like the KBD67 will be a great fit. I hadn't really considered it before, and now I wish it was easier to get a great kit like this for an split board for my own use :smith:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

After doing a lot more looking it sounds like the KBD67 will be a great fit. I hadn't really considered it before, and now I wish it was easier to get a great kit like this for an split board for my own use :smith:
Make sure you say "yes" to foam. There's nothing worse than case ping. The first thing I do to any new keyboard now is stuff as much foam into the thing as I can. The second thing is bandaid modding & lubing the space bar stabilizer.

I also put big fat orings, sometimes two high, asap much to the horror of 95% of the thread when they read this. Don't do that.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 30, 2021

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Is there any reason to stay away from something like the Logitech G815 if one doesn't plan to swap out keycaps or switches? Trying to decide between Keychron K8, Drop CTRL, and the aforementioned Logitech G815.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ryde posted:

Is there any reason to stay away from something like the Logitech G815 if one doesn't plan to swap out keycaps or switches? Trying to decide between Keychron K8, Drop CTRL, and the aforementioned Logitech G815.

Not really, if it suits your needs and your budget, go for it!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

+ 75% with dedicated arrow keys
+ switchable between PC/Mac, and has spare caps with the appropriate symbols
+ has optional colourful accent keys
+ keys feel great
+ powerful hardware macro feature

I don't recommend a vortex, as an owner of one. I think key or a ducky frankly is a better bet at this point.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I totally whiffed forgetting wireless, but what don't you like about it?

I'm really fond of the Pok3r too. That one at least uses standard caps.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ryde posted:

If you want a hot swap board, I'd avoid the Drop CTRL. It's an older design that doesn't accept 5 pin switches unless you clip the bottoms.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Taffer posted:

If you want a split keyboard, you have a lot of cool options: https://keeb.io/collections/split-keyboards

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I drunkenly ordered this split monstrosity one evening. It seemed like a great idea at the time: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keyboardio/model-100

(Still awaiting.)

It feels like max-douche factor to use at the office with the standing desks.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Is there a keycap style that takes pudding a step further? I want the whole thing transparent except for the legends.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

Is there a keycap style that takes pudding a step further? I want the whole thing transparent except for the legends.

It's not fully transparent but DMK Ghost is in group buy for another day or so.

https://cannonkeys.com/products/gb-domikey-ghost

e: Just realised it's doubleshot so might not actually let light through at all, my bad!

ijyt fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 1, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ijyt posted:

It's not fully transparent but DMK Ghost is in group buy for another day or so.

https://cannonkeys.com/products/gb-domikey-ghost

e: Just realised it's doubleshot so might not actually let light through at all, my bad!

It says "semi-translucent," which is not how I understand that word to work but in any case it implies that it will let light shine through.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Midjack posted:

It says "semi-translucent," which is not how I understand that word to work but in any case it implies that it will let light shine through.

Yes but it's doubleshot, so while the top layer of plastic is translucent, but the inner layer that makes up the legend appears to be opaque.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's the win-key lock for? To prevent accidental interruptions? Just seems like a niche use case, but I see it on most compact keyboards.

And a dumber question. How difficult would it be to gut an existing keyboard, and repurpose sections of it? Like a standalone keypad, or media row. I kinda doubt the circuitry would allow it (this would be with whatever membrane keyboards I have lying around).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rinkles posted:

What's the win-key lock for? To prevent accidental interruptions? Just seems like a niche use case, but I see it on most compact keyboards.
Gaming. Windows can dump you out of a game for accidentally tapping that key.

It's a nuisance nowadays, but with windowed-borderless games it's not quite as huge a deal. When fullscreen gaming was the norm, you were likely to crash it half the time lol.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh and I'm glad to report that on a proper desk with an extended mouse pad, the cheapo keyboard sounds much less springy. Pretty happy with it now that I've used it for a few days.

If I ever get anything more expensive, though, I won't be going with blue switches for sure.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 1, 2021

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Khorne posted:

Make sure you say "yes" to foam. There's nothing worse than case ping. The first thing I do to any new keyboard now is stuff as much foam into the thing as I can. The second thing is bandaid modding & lubing the space bar stabilizer.

Wait, it doesn't come with it? The description made it sound like it did and I already ordered it. Well, I guess I can order it separately if that turns out to be true :sigh:

interrodactyl posted:

If you want a split keyboard, you have a lot of cool options: https://keeb.io/collections/split-keyboards

Yeah I've already got a moonlander and I'm mostly quite happy with it, I just wish there were as many options as standard keyboards so I could work around the tiny little nitpicks, like sound profile and thumb button placement. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I start trying to custom build my own lol

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

https://drop.com/buy/artifact-bloom-series-keycap-set-glow

These might be closer to what you're after but I don't think it's exactly what you want.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

I think amazon has a pom jelly set with lasered legends

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Sweet Business people: PCBs arrive tomorrow. I'll take pictures and upload here when they're on-station.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Khorne posted:

I had a keycool 84 but it has 45ms input latency which is unbelievably stupid. It registers key downs pretty fast (appears to report at 1000Hz, very little debounce delay on key down) but it only registers key ups 45ms after a key down. This kills double taps and destroys shift key functionality while typing. It effectively gives it a 22Hz scan rate despite its actual scan rate being much faster.

Imagining how bad this is for anyone who innocently bought this then tried to play a fighting game loool (keyboards are actually pretty good for fighting games, def better than a normal controller for Tekken, before anyone finds the idea weird).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Khorne posted:

I'm not a fan of their "you can see this article three times then we paywall you" plan, but RTings has a keyboard latency test list I was looking at after having issues playing FPSes with my Durgod Fusion. The extra latency was noticeable and sometimes it felt like it was buffering keys and things were very delayed. The RTings list is sortable by wired/wireless (receiver)/bluetooth latency so I was able to sort by wireless receiver and take a look. They've tested 146 keyboards (which are primarily major brands) and it helped inform my purchasing decision to get a G915 for a wireless keyboard because it's very low latency and I was already using GHUB.
https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/tests/latency

It seems like you can just open the same article up in incognito or another computer if you get blocked.

ryde posted:

After using the G915 (which shares a lot of the G815 design but just adds their really decent wireless and a battery) for a few days I'd say it's not an enthusiast keyboard. You're mostly stuck with the existing keycaps (although there are a couple of sellers on amazon with compatible textured WASD and arrow keys). You'd also have trouble replacing switches since it's only made to use the low profile romer switches from logitech. It feels similar to the low profile switches in my $50 havit keyboard (Kailh blues) but better. The havit is okay but definitely made to a price point.

The low profile keycaps and switches kind of shows off that it has the design ethos of a company that makes mice. You use them like you get them until they break and then you get another one. This ethos is somewhat at odds with the average keyboard enthusiast who will want to change keycaps and maybe switches and maybe do some other modding as well. That said, I really like a lot of the features they put into it. In GHUB you can set the lighting to do pretty much whatever, and there's community animations available. Games with a lighting control API can also use the RGB. I generally avoid RGB so I've just got mine set to one color but it's really nice looking. It fired up when I got it out of the box in a neat rainbow effect and I though it looked nice. It wakes up quickly and has more features than I need, including saving multiple profiles and bluetooth as an optional choice. It even shows you power draw and estimated time until the battery goes critical in GHUB (at 15% it turns the lighting red to let you know, but that's also configurable).

The low profile switches feel decent but are obviously different from a normal height switch. If you haven't tried them it may be worth going to a store with some out and seeing if you like them or at least order from somewhere with low hassle returns. I wasn't sure I would but I do like them so far. My only real complaint is that the keycaps are smooth on top by default but it's not a deal breaker. Some day I may make a project of buying a set to sandblast for a light texture, but it's not high on my list of projects.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Exit Strategy posted:

Sweet Business people: PCBs arrive tomorrow. I'll take pictures and upload here when they're on-station.

Hell yes, also I forgot to check my Discord for like the past month whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

Wait, it doesn't come with it? The description made it sound like it did and I already ordered it. Well, I guess I can order it separately if that turns out to be true :sigh:
It might come with it. I just saw it was an option. If it comes with it then you're good. If it doesn't, you can usually use any kind of foam you have laying around. Including packing foam.

Neurosis posted:

Imagining how bad this is for anyone who innocently bought this then tried to play a fighting game loool (keyboards are actually pretty good for fighting games, def better than a normal controller for Tekken, before anyone finds the idea weird).
Going to a modern keyboard with low debounce time, high scan rate, high polling rate was crazy, because keyups were what the game I played relied on. It was jarring that certain movements were happening up to 200ms earlier. I am no longer playing at the limit of my keyboard and instead I am limited by my inputs. I have been spending time retraining myself to tap much faster and not take weird tempo breaks. On the positive tho, it wasn't exactly a fighting game and playing smoothly is a valuable skill that the keyboard forced me into.

The other weird thing switching to a keyboard with lower delay is learning to time shift differently. I was holding shift down way too long on the old keyboard and it instantly showed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 1, 2021