Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Wilbur's going to feed the fish too much and kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Seriously though, just kill the poor sod already. :gonk:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

:crossarms:

Old School Peanuts (Mar 15, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 25-26)

No Blind Alley today

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

The first Sunday Rae The Doe (which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon) is......

...a rerun!

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i hate the stupid dad and his stupid baby

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

i hate the stupid dad and his stupid baby

a comic that is basically live laugh love style platitudes and jokes framed as coming from a hyper-intelligent, nonverbal infant

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: a dramatic reveal (September 20-26, 2004)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I get so tired of the Kevin & Kell universe centering on food and [species] has [trait]. I feel like it wants to be saying something about identities in modern society but isn't clever enough to reach it.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
This week of classic reminds me of a comment awhile back about how predator and prey aside, there's just a general bigger = better than in K&K. Kevin is a rabbit married to a wolf who really does not have much problem being around predators or that his predator family members continue to kill other rabbits and other herbivores constantly, but Kevin himself is also in no real danger. He's been shown beating up or out-lifting other predators before, but RL especially is treated as the most ravenous and dangerous predator we know (murderbaby aside) and Kevin has shown himself stronger than him too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
But RL is BAD because he suffers from the worst thing a person can be.

He is Not The Protagonist, who can do no real wrong, who might have some small inconveniences down the road of pure Author AssPull Save, who always gets a happy wink-at-audience final panel.

Kevin and Kell is pure horror when any thought is applied to ANYTHING in the comic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

All of the Holbrook universes end up just kissing the rear end of power all the time especially when you shouldn't

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/27/01

Brenda Starr 9/7/47

Yes, spite, the best reason to get married!

Smokey Stover 9/24/44

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Kevin lost the match because he unmasked his opponent. What a rudo.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

Doesn't Rhymes with Orange usually have a second(actually first) panel with a follow-up joke?
Did it get cut because someone got mad at the implications of a gay couple or something.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Olivia, macaroni and cheese isn't a... you know what? Nevermind.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Hel posted:

Doesn't Rhymes with Orange usually have a second(actually first) panel with a follow-up joke?
Did it get cut because someone got mad at the implications of a gay couple or something.

They do, and that seems a rather dramatic inference. Mine is that they couldn't think of a secondary joke.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Cowslips Warren posted:

But RL is BAD because he suffers from the worst thing a person can be.

He is Not The Protagonist, who can do no real wrong, who might have some small inconveniences down the road of pure Author AssPull Save, who always gets a happy wink-at-audience final panel.

Kevin and Kell is pure horror when any thought is applied to ANYTHING in the comic.

He is bad and not the protagonist BUT ALSO here are funny jokes about how evil he is.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mr. Squishy posted:

They do, and that seems a rather dramatic inference. Mine is that they couldn't think of a secondary joke.

That hasn't stopped them before (or even most of the time), which is why I thought it was the more dramatic option.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hel posted:

That's weekly. Sunday RWOs usually have only a single panel with no side joke.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Selachian posted:

That's weekly. Sunday RWOs usually have only a single panel with no side joke.

Fair enough, my mistake.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Drimble Wedge posted:

I get so tired of the Kevin & Kell universe centering on food and [species] has [trait]. I feel like it wants to be saying something about identities in modern society but isn't clever enough to reach it.

Part of the problem is that sometimes he does want to use species or predator/prey status as a stand in for gender or race or something, and sometimes he wants it to be that Looney Tunes sketch with the coyote and sheepdog. There's a lot of tonal whiplash when today Bruno's herbivorousness represents him coming out as gay or trans, and tomorrow it's just a setup for a joke about having a school-supplied vegetable crisper in his locker. In addition you have stuff like the parents complaining about Bruno being on the hunting team losing once and going away, the issue having been solved once and therefore completely and forever. There's a very strong undercurrent of that classic self-centered thought pattern where things are fine for the point of view characters, so they have no concerns about the system at large and view others' problems as individual, one-off issues.

Shugojin posted:

All of the Holbrook universes end up just kissing the rear end of power all the time especially when you shouldn't

It is pretty wild how authoritarian his strips seem sometimes. Even outside the overt power structures, characters are constantly making decisions for other people.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

I'm putting "brainstorm ideas for gay versions of classic fairy tales" on my to do list.

Prince Valiant

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

EasyEW posted:

It's Blondie (From Zero) again, and that was a honey of a hole Chic Young dug for Dagwood and company. How do you think they're going to get out of it?

(sigh) How do you think they got out of it? (May 14-16, 1931)

:argh:

I hope someone in 1931 wrote an angry letter to the editor about this.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I hope Ray Punzel and the prince will be very happy together.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

I was a spin and fold person, but then I got some of these:

My bread has never been so secure.

Ellis I did not give you permission to put me in your comic

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

:crossarms:

Checks out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Julet Esqu posted:

Ellis I did not give you permission to put me in your comic

I once passed someone in the supermarket trying to get an armload like that to the checkout. All I could do was nod and say "just one more thing? Been there."

...I mean I suppose I could've helped, but they'd gotten to the checkout by the time I sawe them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Mommy: "The tragic oversight of the six degrees fallacy is that love isn't necessarily transitive." *squishes bug*

FoxTrot

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

It's got a real learned-helplessness in the face of capitalism vibe. Like your boss may be an unethical tyrant but what can ya do? Your entire system may be in fact somehow more predatory and literally oiled by the blood of the underclass than the real thing but this is the way it's gotta be! He keeps accidentally backing himself into nightmare scenarios and waving it off with a chuckle.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Strontium posted:

I use the ties or the little plastic tab, and I also spin and fold. It keeps the bread both secure and tidy.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Is this his sister or what?

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

The Ghost Who Watches You While You Sleep, Like A Creep.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Join our revolution, knock down a stud wall without permission today.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Mar 15, 1953)

Chocolate is NOT a good thing for dogs.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

If I ever encounter an actual pie on an open windowsill, that'll be pretty strong evidence that my entire world is simply a cartoon, or at best a Little Rascals short, created by some vaster universe.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Suffering second-degree burns with a weary shrug: the modern American comics section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako