Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Now trying to get Quake running on one of these was a cursed endeavour. Did it with my 486 DX2 66MHz for no reason other than "how bad can it be?", and it delivered a practically unplayable experience. E1M8 (Ziggurat Vertigo) in particular was astoundingly bad, crawling by at a mighty 25spf!

lol I tried running Quake on a SX 25. Single digits

Even Build games ran like rear end on it. Doom was pretty good in low detail mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

david_a posted:

Even Build games ran like rear end on it. Doom was pretty good in low detail mode.

Buy a 486! :)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Duke is also brutal because difficulty levels only change the number of enemies in a level - not the amount of damage you take.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Duke is also brutal because difficulty levels only change the number of enemies in a level - not the amount of damage you take.

No wonder I struggled so much with it. I literally never made it past level 2 without DNKROZ

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DNCASHMAN is the most delightfully useless "cheat" in any videogame.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a posted:

Wait, how'd you get Barudak's old PC?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I ran Quake on what was originally a 486SX/33 that had an “over drive chip” attached that made it a 486DX4/100. And 8 megs of ram. Game ran at a smooth 15-18 frames a second.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

david_a posted:

I first played Doom on a GBA so this sounds blisteringly fast

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Barudak posted:

I first played Doom on a GBA so this sounds blisteringly fast

That port blew my mind back in the day. I still think it’s cool and impressive to see Doom on handhelds.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It will forever mess me up because I always forget how to progress in Chasm because it was two levels in GBA

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I only had a 486 SX2 so couldn't run Quake on that, but Abrash heavily optimized the renderer for the Pentium FPU making the Pentium pretty much required anyways.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I remember playing Quake 1 Test on my 486 DX2 66 as well. It was a literal slideshow, but it looked just like the magazine screenshots and tbf I was used to older 3D games like Hard Drivin' which ran at 0.5FPS anyway

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

My family only had some ancient IBM PC so my first experience with Quake and Doom were on N64.

Luckily, both ports games are pretty good!

*edit*

ok Doom 64 is more of a sequel it a drat good one. Much scarier too, I remember my 12 year old self couldn’t finish it.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 27, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DOOM64 isn't a port!!!!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Solaris 2.0 posted:

My family only had some ancient IBM PC so my first experience with Quake and Doom were on N64.

Luckily, both ports games are pretty good!

*edit*

ok Doom 64 is more of a sequel it a drat good one. Much scarier too, I remember my 12 year old self couldn’t finish it.

I futzed around with Quake 64 at the start of the year (went through it all on Nightmare because I'm clearly a moron who hates having fun) and while it's not bad (genuinely impressive work considering the system's limits, really), it's just frustrating enough an experience -- by which I mean trying any sort of fine aiming at distances longer than your arm is loving horrible -- that I can't say I'm eager to revisit it in console form.

Also it just fills levels with Ogres, which gets really loving boring and tedious.

Doom 64 is good though. A couple of lovely levels but still fine.

Barudak posted:

It will forever mess me up because I always forget how to progress in Chasm because it was two levels in GBA
Ugh, Doom II on GBA was a mistake. A horrible, buggy, piece of poo poo mistake.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 27, 2021

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I only had a 486 SX2 so couldn't run Quake on that, but Abrash heavily optimized the renderer for the Pentium FPU making the Pentium pretty much required anyways.

I played it on a DX2/66 with a VLB video card and the experience was not good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
In retrospect the changes from month to month were absurd back then. You'd get a new machine and a year later half the new titles won't even play on it. The speed at which we went from cassette tape decks with 48k memory to floppy discs to CD-ROM to the internet was loving mental

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Convex posted:

In retrospect the changes from month to month were absurd back then. You'd get a new machine and a year later half the new titles won't even play on it. The speed at which we went from cassette tape decks with 48k memory to floppy discs to CD-ROM to the internet was loving mental

Yeah, for a fun exercise, you can just google ”x in gaming”, with 1993, '94, '95, and '96 as the x:es — 1993 was already an utterly insane year in terms of what came out, and it didn't slow down. In retrospect, it was mind-blowing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I remember our family buying a PC in the mid-90s and it being obsolete in about four months 🙃

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Doom 2 on the GBA fuckin ruled

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It looked and ran impressively but it's not really "Doom" in a similar way SNES Doom isn't really Doom. Different engine, half-baked mechanics.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Good soup! posted:

Doom 2 on the GBA fuckin ruled

it's true, sorry

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tippis posted:

Yeah, for a fun exercise, you can just google ”x in gaming”, with 1993, '94, '95, and '96 as the x:es — 1993 was already an utterly insane year in terms of what came out, and it didn't slow down. In retrospect, it was mind-blowing.

Doom, Doom 2, Quake 1, Quake 2 and Quake 3? 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999.

Unreal and UT? 1998 and 1999.

I remembered there being like 3-5 years between those games, but no.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 28, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean the big thing is games didn't take as long to make. Until the PS3 and switch to HD you could reasonably assume a game would take 2~ years to make tops. Then we entered the hell dimension of 3-5 years a game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Barudak posted:

I mean the big thing is games didn't take as long to make. Until the PS3 and switch to HD you could reasonably assume a game would take 2~ years to make tops. Then we entered the hell dimension of 3-5 years a game.

to be fair, id back then compared to the rest of the games industry was literally like one of those jokes that goes "the average is one game per company per year. however, most games companies actually take three years to create a game. john "games robot" carmack released 500 games this year, greatly shifting the average."

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barudak posted:

Team size is a big thing. Back then you'd get one person making a map. No chance of that these days, you'd have one person just making the plant pots at Ubisoft

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
DOOM definitely sold a bunch of 486 class PCs that were functionally obsolete with the release of Quake. And these were not cheap machines either.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

DOOM64 isn't a port!!!!

Back in the day, I hated doom64 because I wanted Doom goddamnit. Now I've come around.

As an aside, does anyone else think that Doom 64s aesthetic take as much from quake as they do from Doom?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I picked up Elderborn because why not and it’s good tbh. I’ve heard it’s short and I can believe it since this is obviously pretty budget, but this is probably the best Dark Messiah clone I’ve seen. I would play a lot of this game. For less than ten bucks, definitely worth it

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

skasion posted:

I picked up Elderborn because why not and it’s good tbh. I’ve heard it’s short and I can believe it since this is obviously pretty budget, but this is probably the best Dark Messiah clone I’ve seen. I would play a lot of this game. For less than ten bucks, definitely worth it

Yeah it's great. But definitely short. You basically get the two (massive) levels and then it's effectively over.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Agents are GO! posted:

Back in the day, I hated doom64 because I wanted Doom goddamnit. Now I've come around.

As an aside, does anyone else think that Doom 64s aesthetic take as much from quake as they do from Doom?

The sound aesthetic is definitely along the same lines as Quake's but I always think of D64 as way more colorful and exaggerated instead of brown and meaty.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

skasion posted:

Yeah, I really hope we get a sequel at some point. I definitely could use more Elderborn.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

The sound aesthetic is definitely along the same lines as Quake's

It's .. not?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Agents are GO! posted:

Doom 64 definitely takes after Doom3s.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Doom 64 definitely takes after Doom3s.

But not the shotgun :q:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

It's .. not?
Inclined to disagree; console Doom of that era went heavily in on foreboding ambient tracks over catchy guitar riffs, which is also the direction Trent Reznor took Quake's soundscape. Sounds between both flavors of Doom and Quake largely all went for the same style of meaty grunts and bassy booms so that part goes without saying.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A.o.D. posted:

It's .. not?

Maybe not exactly but I see why they’d say that. It definitely has a creepier ambience closer to Quake than Doom 1/2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I always got Quake vibes from D64

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Agents are GO! posted:

I've always felt it has some Hexen DNA myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I really want to go on a sustained rant about ambient industrial music and how Doom64 ain't it, but I know drat well there are maybe a dozen people in my time zone who would give half a crap about that.

I'll just settle for bitching about that awful loving reverb filter Doom64 slaps on every sound effect. God I hate the sound in D64 so much.