Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

stop getting medical advice from twitter jesus christ, twitter is the shittest part of the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Solkanar512 posted:

But when it turns out that you were wrong, you’re either going to move the goalposts or say nothing at all.

Well when I’m right it’ll be really hard to smugly gloat about it, you know since society will have collapsed and you and maybe me will be dead, so I’m going to have to do it now. My apologies.

If I’m wrong (I’m not) feel free to smugly gloat at me. I won’t really care because the world overall will be fine and I comparatively don’t give a poo poo about losing an internet argument.

Anyway I’m sure trading some nice breaths of the free fresh air with a big group of friends is worth the risk and we shouldn’t jump to conclusions about whether some silly little cold might be dangerous before all the facts are in. Every last one.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
jesus christ we have very little solid population-level data on omicron

quit spinning yourselves into knots on either extreme. this could be really loving bad or it could be a flash in the pan. maybe something in-between?

we won't loving know for a couple more weeks until there are more robust data

until then we should react strongly and decisively.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I remember near the beginning of the pandemic people were talking about mounting a strong response to the virus and how if we did it right, it would look as though the steps we took were unnecessary. I’m worried that we are firmly in “boy who cried wolf” territory now where people (at least in the US) will never accept enhanced NPIs again until people are dying in the streets. The discourse seems to be not what level of response is appropriate for this new threat, but rather if ANY response is appropriate until after things get really really bad.

The last year and a half have been utterly exhausting but I have very little faith that if we are presented with another strain that is worse than delta, we will respond appropriately in time.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It doesn't matter, lives are cheap in the US

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

freebooter posted:

Maybe it's just the leftist circles I move in on Twitter, but I'm kind of amazed that for certain people the needle seems to have swung back on Australia's border policies over the past two years (which IMO, and I think objectively, were the chief reason for our good outcomes). Border closures in a pandemic are apparently bad and racist and the latest tweaking to them (even though Australia is still now more open to non-citizens than it's been since February 2020) are proof of our inherently racist fortress mentality, and never mind that basically every other country is doing the same thing right now.

I've gone the complete opposite direction and am basically to the point where I'd easily accept a full ban on airplane travel forever. We don't need to be able to jet all over the planet.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

gay picnic defence posted:

Peoples' qualifications aren't the be all and end all of determining whether their twitter shitposts (or published articles) are worth paying attention to. The head epidemiologist of some prestigious UK university was saying covid was over in April 2020 because she thought the UK had hit herd immunity.

edit - I remember who it was now, it was Sunetra Gupta, professor of epidemiology at Oxford University. Based on her qualifications she should be a reliable source of accurate and unbiased information but instead she turned into a bit of a nuffy and started opposing lockdowns and other NPIs because of their impact on poor people (I wonder if she's seen the numbers on how many more poor people die of covid than rich people?). She's also joined some right wing think tank that seems to exist purely to oppose lockdowns.
Yeah, Gupta’s paper was trash and she is also trash. I did an effortpost on it at the time, but basically it had no content beyond e^(t-t_0) = p*e^(t-(t_0-ln(1/p))). Her “point” was that if you completely ignore all other evidence, then the exponential curve in symptomatic cases you get from having 70% symptomatic cases looks exactly like the exponential curve in symptomatic cases you get from having 1% symptomatic cases and the pandemic having started far earlier, and in the latter case we’d be approaching herd immunity. Which is true because that’s how exponential curves work, on a mathematical level, and that doesn’t stop being true if you dress the curve up in a simple SIR model. The reason this was scientific malpractice is that a) even then we had a pretty good idea that the rate of symptomatic cases was nowhere near that low from e.g. cases on cruise ships, and b) she went straight to the press with it with incredibly predictable results which she did nothing to mitigate. And then surprise surprise, she turned out to be an anti-lockdown plague rat.

She is like the picture-perfect example of why you should never trust just a single expert, even if their credentials seem good. (IIRC just about every other expert was calling her on her bullshit at the time.)

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 28, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Windmill Hut posted:

Lets say that it turns out Omicron is far more transmissable than Delta, but the symptoms are far less worse.

Could this be a good thing? Omicron takes over as the dominant strain but people just get sick like a common cold, not COVID sick.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Omicron would only "take over as the dominant strain" if there was cross-neutralizing activity between it and other variants. With the number and kind of mutations most of the virologists/immunologists seem to be predicting there won't be, i.e. prior infection from the Delta wave won't offer protection against infection with Omicron; one could conceivably be infected with both variants simultaneously even.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wang Commander posted:

It really just feels like western society is somehow unable to take anything seriously in a sense, really don't like this

Not true, just look at the response whenever the stock market or asset bubbles are threatened.

We can handle crises, just not ones in the commons, but that's just capitalism generally and not exclusive to the western imperial cores.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The thing is, there is no such thing as "national policy" when it comes to the US. It's essentially every state doing their own thing.

Also this. When I say "I'm wearing a mask until forced to remove it at gunpoint, I haven't had so much as a cold in 2 years I ain't going back" it's not hyperbole but rather resignation that that day will indeed come

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Alctel posted:

stop getting medical advice from twitter jesus christ, twitter is the shittest part of the internet

Are you aware of where you are posting?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Twitter is dogshit but Facebook is definitely the most evil by far

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Coldrice posted:

So the threat of Omicron variant spreading world wide prompted me to add the ability to swap between Alpha, delta, and Omicron stats in Covid Simulator. it is currently calibrated to Delta. Alpha setting will probably be imperfect as I need to do some research on the proper stats for that, and Omicron will DEFINITELY change as the weeks go on and we get more real world data/stats.

Outlook is looking a bit grim tho folks. A single person can cause an entire workplace to be infected in like 2-3 days. I'm really hoping some good news comes with the "real world" stats as they develop

Silly question — do you know if anyone has tried to run this on Linux? I’ve been wanting to try it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Petey posted:

With the number and kind of mutations most of the virologists/immunologists seem to be predicting there won't be

Where have you been seeing them "seeming to predict" that?

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Twitter is dogshit but Facebook is definitely the most evil by far

Twitter is an echo chamber for radical beliefs; Facebook radicalizes you into those beliefs.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Where have you been seeing them "seeming to predict" that?

From the pango lineage github where this was first discovered/publicized:

and from a leading virologist who published the landmark paper inspecting a hypothetical 20-mutation spike:

https://twitter.com/theodora_nyc/status/1464257411582148608

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

https://mobile.twitter.com/theodora_nyc/status/1464636403623477248

Did you not move your eyes to the very next tweet?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

This does not nullify the previous tweet.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

A lot of it depends on what is considered a substantial reduction in efficacy. I don't think any actual experts are saying it could render existing vaccine/prior infection immunity to 0%, but if it knocks it down to say 50%, that's still pretty bad!

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Oh what a revelation, lab sera tests =/= immune system response, surprising no one.

For a guy that consistently is "asking questions" and can't seem to read or research anything you sure make a lot of assumptions about other people somehow being worse at it than you.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

StratGoatCom posted:

This does not nullify the previous tweet.

It’s not supposed to “nullify” the tweet, it’s the next tweet by the same person. But it’s showing that that researcher does not in fact believe “prior infection from the Delta wave won't offer protection against infection with Omicron”

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Protection isn’t binary

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s not supposed to “nullify” the tweet, it’s the next tweet by the same person. But it’s showing that that researcher does not in fact believe “prior infection from the Delta wave won't offer protection against infection with Omicron”

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did you not move your eyes to the very next tweet?

You're confusing two separate things. One is whole-of-immune-system response to disease caused by infection; the other is protection against infection based on serum antibodies, the best correlate of protection against infection we know of.

I never said that the vaccine protection against disease would go to zero. I said that prior/simultaneous infection with Delta might not protect against infection with Omicron. These are different claims supported by different kinds of evidence.

Theodora's first tweet says — simplified — "we have evidence suggesting that Omicron will evade antibodies from vaccines or prior infection." Her second tweet says "but vaccines will probably still somewhat protect against some degree of disease."

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Probably fucks the current generation of monoclonals though.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

cr0y posted:

Probably fucks the current generation of monoclonals though.

Yes, that seems to be the consensus from among the various virologists, given that mono/polyclonals are just basically bit dosages of antibodies.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Petey posted:

Yes, that seems to be the consensus from among the various virologists, given that mono/polyclonals are just basically bit dosages of antibodies.

Why are you prefacing everything with "that is the consensus" then saying things the links you posted say aren't so simple? Same thread as the one you just posted

some don't
https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1464005700984573952

some do
https://twitter.com/jbloom_lab/status/1464005705891868702

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
OOCC why are you so invested on litigating every inch of covid being bad like it's WW1? What do you gain from clinging to toxic optimism?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why are you prefacing everything with "that is the consensus" then saying things the links you posted say aren't so simple? Same thread as the one you just posted

some don't

some do

I'm hedging my statements — you left out my "seems" — because I'm not an expert in this field and I am trying to avoid making definitive statements about things that might be wrong. You should try it (not being aggressively and overconfidently wrong) sometime.

I certainly hope that the Bloom projections/modeling re: certain cocktails turn out to be right. Theodora's + other's commentary seem to think it is optimistic, but I'll take that if it's true!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

OOCC why are you so invested on litigating every inch of covid being bad like it's WW1? What do you gain from clinging to toxic optimism?
Neither they nor anyone else in this thread can do a drat thing about covid other than at the personal scale. It's okay to be optimistic for mental health purposes. And nice to read optimism sometimes for the same reason.

Calling it "toxic optimism" is kinda weird, particularly about a person who has zero influence on the reality of the situation.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Being overly optimistic leads relaxed NPIs and a false sense of security leading to continued spread of Covid.

People constantly cite “oh well it’s everywhere nothing we can do now” as a reason to just get your vax and live your life. But here is round two, we get another chance to stop things before it gets unstoppable. And being overly optimistic will lead us to failure.

Even if omicron turns out to be a dud, we need to treat it as if it’s a huge threat right now, because the potential is there.

Yes, if we do everything right, it will look like we wasted our time and money.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Genuinely curious, what's the DnD take on China and Taiwan's handling of the pandemic so far? Should the entire world have copied their policies and removed the coronavirus from circulation or is it good that this continuously mutating virus is freely allowed to circulate?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I don't understand what the fight in this thread is about. We don't know how bad Omicron will be. Everyone here is presumably already:

1) Vaxx'd per recommendations and availability in their country
2) Masking
3) Distancing

I know I am doing those things, and will be whether or not Omicron is the big one. I have no real information on how bad it will be but there's really not anything else I can do besides continue to treat this as a pandemic, the way I have been for almost two years now.

Saying we don't know how bad this will get is not toxic positivity. Even if we get 100% confirmation that Omicron is the end times panicking is never a constructive response. If everyone is doing the same actual virus prevention steps the fighting it about... which direction the speculation goes?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

nexous posted:

Being overly optimistic leads relaxed NPIs and a false sense of security leading to continued spread of Covid.

People constantly cite “oh well it’s everywhere nothing we can do now” as a reason to just get your vax and live your life. But here is round two, we get another chance to stop things before it gets unstoppable. And being overly optimistic will lead us to failure.

Even if omicron turns out to be a dud, we need to treat it as if it’s a huge threat right now, because the potential is there.

Yes, if we do everything right, it will look like we wasted our time and money.
I don't think anyone in this thread is avoiding vaccination or shirking our NPI's. Having some optimism everything isn't hosed forever is good for mental health.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Elea posted:

Genuinely curious, what's the DnD take on China and Taiwan's handling of the pandemic so far? Should the entire world have copied their policies and removed the coronavirus from circulation or is it good that this continuously mutating virus is freely allowed to circulate?

R>C>P

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread is avoiding vaccination or shirking our NPI's. Having some optimism everything isn't hosed forever is good for mental health.

I’m not calling anyone in this thread out. And optimism isn’t bad on its own. It’s being optimistic in spite of reality that is a problem. Telling vaccinated people it was safe to unmask in May stemmed from overly optimistic results of vaccines.

I have all sorts of optimism regarding omicron. Maybe it’s less lethal and will be a boon. Maybe it will be a dud. Maybe it will lead to more vaccinations and squash delta. But it is silly to wait and see if any of that pans out. We need to restrict travel and enforce quarantines, now, not on Monday.

Edit to say toxic negativity is just as bad. CSpam went nuts with misinfo on omicron. “R0 of 36”, General revelry that this might wipe out all mammalian life on earth. It’s absurd and causes everyone to roll their eyes and dismiss the subject out of not wanting to engage with crazy.

nexous fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 28, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Elea posted:

that's some awfully loaded phrasing

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elea posted:

Repeatedly, ad nauseam. Unless you have a way to get the world on-board with strict lockdowns in November 2021 it's pointless.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Fritz the Horse posted:

jesus christ we have very little solid population-level data on omicron

quit spinning yourselves into knots on either extreme. this could be really loving bad or it could be a flash in the pan. maybe something in-between?

we won't loving know for a couple more weeks until there are more robust data

until then we should react strongly and decisively.

this. Twitter is rife with speculation from experts of all stripes, but at the end of the day, we really don't have any way of knowing how this new variant is going to land until it does.

Nobody has come up with a credible system for judging whether an emerging variant is going to be The Big One on the basis of so little data. Everyone that says otherwise is either doom posting, full of poo poo, or a little of both.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

That being said, this thing has traits that make it more likely, and it behooves us not to be blithe about it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Elea posted:

You can't frame the question as should other countries have done things the way China did, when other countries aren't capable of doing things the way China did. It's also kind of a moot point because that ship has sailed.

For example in the United States, we have a sizable portion of the population that is militantly against any sort of actions that are required for zero covid. Generally these are right leaning conservatives but not always so for what it's worth I will just call them the "pro covid" party. You cannot ask the pro-covid party to help for obvious reasons and trying to force them to do anything will result in them shooting people. This single fact alone makes zero covid impossible, forcing the issue of eliminating covid would almost guarantee a civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

cr0y posted:

This single fact alone makes zero covid impossible, forcing the issue of eliminating covid would almost guarantee a civil war.

China had one of these to get it to this point, so I guess step one is to find our Mao and get cracking