Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Americans can only make large scale battles in Civil War movies.

Usually by portraying the confederate side (especially it’s generals) sympathetically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Americans can only make large scale battles in Civil War movies.

Yes, Americans only made expensive superhero mo...oh that Civil War.

The last properly expensive larger scaled war movie made by Hollywood IMO is Kingdom of Heaven. But I am not sure if I should group it in the "historical fantasy" genre.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50EZirQ00dg

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

stephenthinkpad posted:

I never paid attention to this movie. But it looks like a properly made expensive action war movie.

When was the last time Hollywood made a war movie with Large scaled battle scene?

The only thing I can think of recently is Brat Pitt tank movie Fury. But it has long stretch of quiet civilian scenes. I would call it a mid budget war movie.

Oh yeah there is that one-take war movie 1917 which is again focus on small battles.

dunkirk was good, fury is dogshit

nolan is currently making another ww2 movie about oppenheimer with a $100M budget

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Maximo Roboto posted:

The second tweet is from the Chinese consulate and portrays their point of view, surprised you were able to randomly slam some letters together into a quasi-coherent sentence you illiterate ape-man

funny coming from the idiot pushing the same tired old line of belt and road being a scary yellow man debt trap

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1463202183885774855

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1464908857252143107

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1464974953351200768?s=20

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Gesundheit! :newlol:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait this whole time he wasnt even an american citizen

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshuaSteinman/status/1464868260600770565

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The most reddit kind of guy.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

wait this whole time he wasnt even an american citizen

He’s was Turkish but on erdogan’s poo poo list for being a gülenist and would be arrested if he ever went back

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Red and Black posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HendU4zRg9A

Really interesting interview with a historian about the rising conflict between the US and China. He notes at one point that the US has hosted 18 war games simulating a war with China over Taiwan and the US has lost in all 18

I don't doubt that China would kick America's rear end but isn't the point of that kind of wargame to lose so that you get more money from congress?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

lmao imagine being that big of a cuck for american imperialism

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Fortaleza posted:

He’s was Turkish but on erdogan’s poo poo list for being a gülenist and would be arrested if he ever went back

whats a gulenist?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fortaleza posted:

a gulenist spouting CIA propaganda. hmmmm

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

IAMKOREA posted:

I don't doubt that China would kick America's rear end but isn't the point of that kind of wargame to lose so that you get more money from congress?

I don’t know. I doubt it, but I can’t really evaluate that claim without knowing what the evidence is for it

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Agrajag posted:

funny coming from the idiot pushing the same tired old line of belt and road being a scary yellow man debt trap

Lo, the dead speak! Always a marvel to hear the hoarse croakings of a withered wraith after I absolutely slaughtered your dumb rear end like a savage

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Agrajag posted:

whats a gulenist?

Gülen is a secularist political leader. He lives in the US, he's the guy Trump was thinking about secretly kidnapping and sending to Turkey

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Chamale posted:

Gülen is a secularist political leader. He lives in the US, he's the guy Trump was thinking about secretly kidnapping and sending to Turkey

He's not a secularist, I don't think, but he had a falling out with the AKP.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fortaleza posted:

Trump will be very very busy very very soon.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1465002114690830338?s=20
https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1465002998120259597?s=20
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1465013142417780737?s=20

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

an elephant sitting still came out just a few years ago, it's very stupid to think china only puts out the big blockbusters

A long days journey into night was also fantastic.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What is wagnergate

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

brugroffil posted:

What is wagnergate

it's a bellingcat thing
https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1462052820006457345?s=20

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

genericnick posted:

He's not a secularist, I don't think, but he had a falling out with the AKP.

Gulen is indeed not a secular politician. He was an ally to Erdogan's agenda to stomp out the secularists of the CHP. He's got a network of Gulen schools that the AKP sees as a direct competition to its religious influence program through Diyanet

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

https://twitter.com/Robbygoldd/status/1463961898014187523?s=20

Seriously considering emailing the local embassy.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Gulen is also alleged by Erdogan to have been behind the failed 2016 coup

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol Gulen hired the stupidest fighter jet pilot in the Turkish Airforce then

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2021/11/17/inside-wagnergate-ukraines-brazen-sting-operation-to-snare-russian-mercenaries/

quote:

The operation had begun as early as 2018 as a run-of-the-mill intelligence-gathering campaign by GUR MOU. By late 2019, following the success of Ukrainian rendition operations such as the retrieval of former separatist military commander Vladimir Tsemakh, the project had taken a more ambitious turn. By early 2020 it had morphed into an opportunistic sting operation targeting hundreds of former mercenaries idling away during the Covid-19 lockdown in their home towns and villages across Russia. At this point, a number of outcomes were still under consideration. These included terminating the operation after sufficient intelligence had been gathered or luring the targets to a third country — such as Hungary, Poland, or the Baltic nations — and requesting their extradition to Ukraine.
In late 2019 and early 2020, several special operation commanding officers with successful rendition experience crossed over from the SBU to GUR MOU. Under their influence, the sting operation developed more concrete — and even more ambitious — contours. The mission became to lure, detain and prosecute a core group of several dozen mercenaries. At this point, the SBU was involved in the project planning with the aim of creating a shortlist of targets whose alleged crimes could be amply substantiated and were thus assessed to have a high likelihood of being convicted in court.

This final operational scenario was, according to three former security officers who spoke to Bellingcat, presented to and approved by Ukraine’s political leadership in early July 2020. It included the capture and detention of 33 mercenaries by staging the emergency landing on Ukrainian soil of an aircraft carrying the targets to their fictitious deployment destination. The choice of Minsk in Belarus as a starting point for the journey was a circumstance both forced (no commercial flights were taking off from Russia during the 2020 Covid-19 lockdown) and convenient. A flight from Minsk to Istanbul, the transfer hub to any number of plausible destinations, would require that the plane cross into Ukrainian airspace for approximately 28 minutes — just long enough to allow for an emergency landing at Kyiv’s Boryspil airport.

As the bus carrying the mercenaries crossed the border from Russia into Belarus on 25 July, the daring operation appeared to proceed according to plan.

But at the very last moment, a controversial decision was made to postpone the active part of the operation for a few short days. A new departure date to Turkey was set for 30 July, and the mercenary group was checked in, first to a Minsk hotel, and later to a spa hotel outside the city, to wait out the delay. In the early morning hours of the penultimate day at the hotel, Belarusian special services stormed the hotel. They detained the mercenaries, inadvertently compromising the remainder of the Ukrainian sting operation.

The timeline and context of the events chronicled in this investigation was compiled on the basis of dozens of interviews with participants in the sting operation: including Russian mercenaries who had fallen for the Ukrainian ploy and former Ukrainian intelligence operatives who had taken part in various aspects of the operation. Both groups spoke to Bellingcat to dispel what they perceived as disinformation narratives spread in both Russia and Ukraine.

To validate what these sources had to say, Bellingcat’s investigation team analysed and verified hundreds of electronic files including job applications filled out by the mercenaries, photographs of military awards and medals, letters of recommendation from former military commanders and health records which they had emailed to their fictitious new employer. Crucially, the analysis covered hundreds of audio files collected during the false flag recruitment process. Some of these documents and audio components had been leaked to Ukrainian media; however their authenticity had not been independently verified.

Bellingcat also verified key parts of the timeline of events with the Adhoc Inquest Committee of the Ukrainian Parliament. This committee has investigated, independently from Bellingcat, the circumstances surrounding the alleged failure of the same sting operation.

Is the scandal that it failed or that Ukraine was planning to use false accusations to bring down an international flight full of its political enemies.

Since this is Bellingcat, it's a limited hangout so what exactly are they leaving out. Makes me wonder if the arrests in Minsk were the whole point, that helped drive the wedge deeper between Lukashenko and Russia, which played into the post-election protests.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53592854

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Yeah Long Day's Journey into Night was really good.

Red and Black posted:

I don’t know. I doubt it, but I can’t really evaluate that claim without knowing what the evidence is for it

I also don't know if there's any evidence for intentionally losing war games to boost the military budget but there is evidence of pressure to fudge war games to make the US military look better than it is (see the infamous Millennium Challenge 2002 where the 'enemy' side sunk 16 US ships including an aircraft carrier with swarms of speedboats and the response was to say it was unrealistic and restart the exercise) so this probably cancels each other out at least.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2021/11/17/inside-wagnergate-ukraines-brazen-sting-operation-to-snare-russian-mercenaries/

Is the scandal that it failed or that Ukraine was planning to use false accusations to bring down an international flight full of its political enemies.

Since this is Bellingcat, it's a limited hangout so what exactly are they leaving out. Makes me wonder if the arrests in Minsk were the whole point, that helped drive the wedge deeper between Lukashenko and Russia, which played into the post-election protests.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53592854

Hahaha, aren't we trying to starve out Belarus for doing something like this?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Belarus is in America's sphere and belongs to us.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zelenskyi is his own kind of inept and vindictive, but Butusov is also definitely too lost in the sauce and high on his own farts. Censor.net has been an awful pro-Poroshenko hate-filled propaganda rag for years. If Zelenskyi's petty grudge is what brings it down, it's not going to be a huge loss for independent media, but I'd still much rather the law wasn't applied selectively only against the people who criticise Zelenskyi.

Atrocious Joe posted:

It's both. Ukraine is a land of contrasts.

Paladinus has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Nov 28, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wasnt the journalist in belarus accused of the exact same thing of being a willing combatant for ukrainian nationalists

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Yeah Long Day's Journey into Night was really good.

I also don't know if there's any evidence for intentionally losing war games to boost the military budget but there is evidence of pressure to fudge war games to make the US military look better than it is (see the infamous Millennium Challenge 2002 where the 'enemy' side sunk 16 US ships including an aircraft carrier with swarms of speedboats and the response was to say it was unrealistic and restart the exercise) so this probably cancels each other out at least.

oh my god this never goes away

please stop using this as an example. the general in charge of the non-us forces did such things as 1) say that his forces were using motorcycle couriers to avoid message interception and then model them as arriving instantly 2) model those speedboats as each being able to hold multiple anti ship missiles and fire them off with no recoil, and a whole bunch of other incredibly dumb poo poo that rightfully got the game called and redone becuase those are stupid assumptions and not what the war game was about.

this is not one of the many, many examples of the US millitary being stupid, this is a stupid nerd wargaming fight that the losing nerd got so butthurt about he leaked it to the press to make himself look better

by repeating this bullshit, you are basically a bystander at a warhammer tournament going "wow that guy screaming at the ref has a point, space marines are overpowered and would totally lose against nids"

please stop for a second and think about how "THE US LOST ITS LAST 16 GAMES IN TAIWAN TO CHINA" and "REMEMBER THIS ONE TIME THEY CHANGED THE RULES SO THEY WOULDN'T LOSE" compare as statements

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the us war games defender has logged in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

wasnt the journalist in belarus accused of the exact same thing of being a willing combatant for ukrainian nationalists

He only took photos with them in gear and participated in their training.

Nobody is willing to admit or show evidence of him being in combat.