Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

chainchompz posted:

Dang I always thought tryhards were the folks that min/maxed every game and thus fretted over k:d so hard that they forgot to have fun.

The people getting mad and accusing enemy gamers of being tryhard for using the wrong weapon/strategy are the ones forgetting to have fun

Elentor posted:

At high enough elos teams start to write down the schedules of enemy teams so they can avoid unfavorable matches, somehow to me that always seemed to be peak tryhard.

I feel like there's a big conceptual difference between doing your best to improve at a game vs doing your best to game the ranking system and gain Elo points.

e:

Bleusilences posted:

I think there is something about Moba games taking over 30 minutes each that drive this kind of toxicity.

Dota games can potentially (rarely!) last over 3 hours if the losing team has a character like Goblin Techies who's really good at drawing games out and defending highground. Basically the entire character is about making minefields and forcing the enemy team to play minesweeper before they're allowed to enter your base or hit your buildings.

I haven't paid much attention to the game since way before they added neutral items and stuff so maybe that crazy max-tier stuff dropping at 45 minutes helps teams to end games earlier instead of stalemating but idk.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
i thought the yoofs were all about quoting deadpool, with maximum effort, and unicorn rainbow chimichangas, and the hot topic merch, think of all the merch!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The people getting mad and accusing enemy gamers of being tryhard for using the wrong weapon/strategy are the ones forgetting to have fun

I feel like there's a big conceptual difference between doing your best to improve at a game vs doing your best to game the ranking system and gain Elo points.

Once you're at rank 50 or so you can't really advance without playing some meta game, professional teams go out of the way to study the enemy teams in tournaments and there's no reason to think that'd also not be the case in an open ladder, the difference is that if you had the choice to arrange brackets your way every team would very much dodge other certain teams, whereas in an open ladder you can just, you know, do that.

It also doesn't help that some games have a rock < paper < scissors nature to them and your lovely wow comp might be great but also be disadvantageous against a certain other comp and even if you're the #1 team there's no reason to expose yourself against a hard counter if you know your comp can only usually beat hard counters who are -200 elo or lower.

And there's also the time factor, depending on the game queues can get extremely long, I have a screenshot of a 2 hours+ queue in lol while other people in my friends list were queuing and playing against each other. If you're gonna wait 45 minutes for a match you really don't want it to be a match against a team with a 80% win rating against you, that poo poo is frustrating even to the most zen players.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It sounds like high level competitive play is a cancer that kills all fun and enjoyment to be had in a game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
idk you can still shoot hoops with Dad in your backyard without knowing who the gently caress lebron is

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lol at a buncha people arguing with someone referencing horse armor in the last five weeks of 2021

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rockman Reserve posted:

lol at a buncha people arguing with someone referencing horse armor in the last five weeks of 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

it's completely nuts to me that capcom hasn't re-release MMBN 1-6 like they have for the classic series, X and Zero/ZX

like, mega man has never been a particularly well-selling franchise but i thought MMBN outsold all of the other subfranchises by a ton, and it's not like there isn't a ton of experience Capcom has already used in the past to port GBA games to modern architecture. the only hurdle i can really imagine them running into is the multiplayer, but even so, dang it i want that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

it's completely nuts to me that capcom hasn't re-release MMBN 1-6 like they have for the classic series, X and Zero/ZX

like, mega man has never been a particularly well-selling franchise but i thought MMBN outsold all of the other subfranchises by a ton, and it's not like there isn't a ton of experience Capcom has already used in the past to port GBA games to modern architecture. the only hurdle i can really imagine them running into is the multiplayer, but even so, dang it i want that.

I assume given the DS's weird resolution its not the easiest thing to do, and the Megaman ZX collection doesnt seem to have sold gangbusters

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rockman Reserve posted:

I thought there were rumblings that they were doing exactly that, it just got pushed back for some reason.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

I assume given the DS's weird resolution its not the easiest thing to do, and the Megaman ZX collection doesnt seem to have sold gangbusters

the BN series was on GBA though, and the Zero series was always super niche. the first game was marketed as intentionally the hardest mega man game ever, released for (at the time) a very successful but still very young handheld

John Murdoch posted:

I thought there were rumblings that they were doing exactly that, it just got pushed back for some reason.

has there? i mean it's gotta be on the agenda somewhere

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I don't remember the exact deets but I think it was one of those breadcrumb trails of coincidences (like Megaman EXE showed up somewhere inexplicably recently + next year is a significant anniversary) that made it highly likely we'll see a Battle Network collection in 2022.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

It sounds like high level competitive play is a cancer that kills all fun and enjoyment to be had in a game

It's fun if you enjoy that aspect particularly, and also if you hate the game,

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In any sports environment where you are allowed to choose your competitors shady win fishing and match futzing shenaningans run rampant, see the entire long history of boxing

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't personally mind any shenanigans that are within the confines of the game rules, but win trading isn't, and it is loving miserable. In some games you can only get rank 1s if you are so overwhelmingly better than the others that win trading doesn't matter because you're winning every match, otherwise even if you are the best team you'll get screwed.

At WoW's peak rank 1 accounts sold for two year's worth of my bills due to the unique title they got so losing those to people win trading during your sleep time was frustrating. The worst part is that Blizzard was good at catching win traders and we've seen a lot of them banned, but we also saw the bizarre situation where two teams win-trading got to #1 and #2 and only #1 got banned, after which point we stopped tryharding in WoW and fell off.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm for anything that upsets people taking dumb vidyagames poo poo way too seriously.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Waltzing Along posted:

Gamers tryhard because deep down they know that once they hit 40, no matter how hard they try, they can't get hard.

site posted:

tryhard with a vengeance

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Balancing games too much for the highest level of competitive play ruins a lot of fun and interesting things.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Balancing games too much for the highest level of competitive play ruins a lot of fun and interesting things.

Pretty much, yeah.

Thats why League of Legends doesn't

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Because it doesn't have enough fun and interesting things to ruin?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Because it doesn't have enough fun and interesting things to ruin?

No no, they can gently caress up ARAM.

Actual main game is trash

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i have no backlog. i simply buy and then play whatever strikes my fancy. i do not understand why someone would have to systemize games to that point.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i have no backlog. i simply buy and then play whatever strikes my fancy. i do not understand why someone would have to systemize games to that point.

Backlogs are usually because PC gamers can't help compulsively buying stuff they'll never play in steam sales

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I feel ya, tryhards isn't a term limited to 'enemy gamers' either.
I've been screamed at for "picking the wrong thing" leveling up in Divinity Original Sin because apparently just picking stuff that sounds good and going with it isn't allowed, and whether or not it was even a dumb move it reeks of caring more about following a script they found than playing a game for the experience of it. Also with this same group I had the apparent audacity to take a phone call while downed in HOTS when I had a long rear end cooldown after dying. Uninstalled after the LAN and have never played with those folks again.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Caesar Saladin posted:

Backlogs are usually because PC gamers can't help compulsively buying stuff they'll never play in steam sales

No console gamer has ever purchased games they won't play in bulk during sales

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Caesar Saladin posted:

sucks for console gamers that they can't buy games they've been waiting on for 3 or 4 bucks during the holidays i guess

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Caesar Saladin posted:

The goon/former roommate who got me to join SA has over 400 games in his steam profile. I hope someday he has time to play them all but lol he'd have to be already retired to have a shot at that. Good luck bro.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

You can’t learn anything from history.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

chainchompz posted:

The goon/former roommate who got me to join SA has over 400 games in his steam profile. I hope someday he has time to play them all but lol he'd have to be already retired to have a shot at that. Good luck bro.

pffft, only 400 games? i AM retired and i do not have anywhere near the free time required to burn through my Embarrassing Testament To No Self Control During A Sale.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

No console gamer has ever purchased games they won't play in bulk during sales

I don't know about you but I exclusively play games in bulk

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

site posted:

sucks for console gamers that they can't buy games they've been waiting on for 3 or 4 bucks during the holidays i guess

Console gamers also don't get barraged with bundles where the game you actually want is super discounted and you get a bunch of other games for free

Some bundles will actually reduce the total cost when you add more free games to it lol, then you get steam cards that rubes will buy from you, paying for even more of your games. But some people have a problem with free stuff I guess

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I unironically like the voice acting in FFX and also think it has the best and most coherent plot of any mainline FF game.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The loving UHHHH? UNNGHH! UGUUU! poo poo is so awful

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

site posted:

but then you buy 16 of them and never actually play half of them, pc gamers are notorious for these shenanigans

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I bought Doom Eternal and I wanted to finish getting all the secrets in Doom first, but i just... cant get myself to feel like doing that. And I bought all the Yakuzas, but after 100%ing kawami and kawami 2 and retaining my sanity by playing 3 and skipping anything to do with hostess clubs or coliseums or THOSE GODDAMN LITTLE TINY RACE CARS, and 4, 5, and 6 still await.. i vaguely remember playing large chunks of all of them in the past and abandoning it, it's just I can't emotionally take anymore yakuza for a good long while.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I unironically like the voice acting in FFX and also think it has the best and most coherent plot of any mainline FF game.

10 and 4(2 on SNES) are both tied for my favorite and the rather coherent plots(for FF anyway) have a lot to do with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Caesar Saladin posted:

but then you buy 16 of them and never actually play half of them, pc gamers are notorious for these shenanigans

yeah i guess instead i could wait a year and half to pay 700 bucks for a ps5 to spend the next 2 years talking about a singular dark souls remake i paid 60 bucks for

Barudak
May 7, 2007

site posted:

yeah i guess instead i could wait a year and half to pay 700 bucks for a ps5 to spend the next 2 years talking about a singular dark souls remake i paid 60 bucks for

70 bucks. Sony first party all got price hikes

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

70 bucks. Sony first party all got price hikes

I hope that poo poo stays in the console space, or just dies. Because fuuuuck that.

This is where you tell me it's already in the PC space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

itry posted:

I hope that poo poo stays in the console space, or just dies. Because fuuuuck that.

This is where you tell me it's already in the PC space.

Not yet, but expect it to be coming once last gen consoles are fully phased out so PC loses its grandfathered pricing.