Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

But what if we had dramatic zero covid lockdowns but like, democratically?

Edit: Holy poo poo, that's my worst page snipe ever. Have a cat picture. This is Andy, relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wang Commander posted:

China had one of these to get it to this point, so I guess step one is to find our Mao and get cracking

You can't own a gun in China.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Chine silenced doctors and allowed this disease to escape in the first place, why is anyone "handing it to them"?

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

cr0y posted:

You can't frame the question as should other countries have done things the way China did, when other countries aren't capable of doing things the way China did. It's also kind of a moot point because that ship has sailed.

For example in the United States, we have a sizable portion of the population that is militantly against any sort of actions that are required for zero covid. Generally these are right leaning conservatives but not always so for what it's worth I will just call them the "pro covid" party. You cannot ask the pro-covid party to help for obvious reasons and trying to force them to do anything will result in them shooting people. This single fact alone makes zero covid impossible, forcing the issue of eliminating covid would almost guarantee a civil war.

I have to think some of the cultural opposition to fighting covid came about from the half baked measures we pursued in the first place. Like if we implemented effective mass testing and had a passport system in the first heady days of the pandemic then maybe people would have accepted that, not wanting covid positive people running around.

Besides, building up a huge testing infrastructure could have been retooled for all manner of medical testing afterwards and been a good step towards providing better healthcare and disease control. It would also make Covid treatment more equitable for the poor who can't afford constant testing to get early treatment.

Elea fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 28, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Solkanar512 posted:

Chine silenced doctors and allowed this disease to escape in the first place, why is anyone "handing it to them"?

They may have hosed around early on, but they've turned it about better then most places.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Solkanar512 posted:

Might want to check out cases and deaths per capita by country

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elea posted:

I have to think some of the cultural opposition to fighting covid came about from the half baked measures we pursued in the first place. Like if we implemented effective mass testing and had a passport system in the first heady days of the pandemic then maybe people would have accepted that, not wanting covid positive people running around.

Besides, building up a huge testing infrastructure could have been retooled for all manner of medical testing afterwards and been a good step towards providing better healthcare and disease control. It would also make Covid treatment more equitable for the poor who can't afford constant testing to get early treatment.
Unless you have a time machine I'm not sure what your point is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

Yes, if there's anything the last 18 months have shown us, it's that any given first world country definitely would have been able and willing to shut down a novel virus outbreak of this scale and severity and that failure to do so is uniquely China's fault.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Unless you have a time machine I'm not sure what your point is.

We can't be critical of past decisions when talking about one countries policies compared to another?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

StratGoatCom posted:

They may have hosed around early on, but they've turned it about better then most places.

Explain in detail how China has reversed the escape of a global pandemic, in detail.

brugroffil posted:

Might want to check out cases and deaths per capita by country

Bullshit response that has nothing to do with what I said, typical of the doomers.

the holy poopacy posted:

Yes, if there's anything the last 18 months have shown us, it's that any given first world country definitely would have been able and willing to shut down a novel virus outbreak of this scale and severity and that failure to do so is uniquely China's fault.

Moving the goalposts and whataboutism, all in the same post!

Amazing how China is held as uniquely able to control the spread of coronavirus, yet when I point out how they hosed up when it counted, now no one could possibly control it. Make up your drat minds.

China let this poo poo escape and terrorize the world. Deal with it.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 28, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Solkanar512 posted:

Explain in detail how China has reversed the escape of a global pandemic, in detail. You can't, because they can't.

Bullshit response that has nothing to do with what I said, typical of the doomers.

Moving the goalposts and whataboutism, all in the same post!

Amazing how China is held as uniquely able to control the spread of coronavirus, yet when I point out how they hosed up when it counted, now no one could possibly control it. Make up your drat minds.

China let this poo poo escape and terrorize the world. Deal with it.

lol

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Do you believe the United States or another country would have contained covid despite being unable or unwilling to contain a massive death toll from it?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

More shitposting from the doomer crowd.

Put up or just shut up.

Elea posted:

Do you believe the United States or another country would have contained covid despite being unable or unwilling to contain a massive death toll from it?

How about your answer my questions rather than posting this "always be on the attack" alt-right playbook bullshit?

We get it, "never be on the defense", "always double down". But that poo poo is tired and boring. I asked specific and clear questions, and I received nothing but shitposts in return. You're not doing any better.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elea posted:

We can't be critical of past decisions when talking about one countries policies compared to another?
Go ahead, but unless you have detailed plans for enforcement in red counties it's kind of pointless. Hypothesis talk isn't worth poo poo without acknowledging political realities.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Solkanar512 posted:

More shitposting from the doomer crowd.

Put up or just shut up.

The west failed miserably to contain the virus and China did not. Full stop. Pathetic denialists like you love to blame everyone else for their own completely foreseeable failures, but the simple fact is that the half-measures obsessed capitalist oligarch run west didn’t take the threat seriously and tried to negotiate their way out of any difficult choices. Not only did we not lock down in any meaningful way, we first denied even the existence of a problem for MONTHS when China was welding infected people into rooms and rapidly building quarantine hospitals. We still refuse to acknowledge what is required after a million Americans lay dead and a million more have their heads on the block.

China didn’t gently caress this up. People like you did. Take some responsibility you insufferable child, or sit the gently caress down and let the “doomers” fix this problem you created.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

dwarf74 posted:

Go ahead, but unless you have detailed plans for enforcement in red counties it's kind of pointless. Hypothesis talk isn't worth poo poo without acknowledging political realities.

Guns

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I think (most) Americans have decided that covid isn't as bad as a single party authoritarian government and the number of deaths from a pandemic aren't going to change that.

The idea you could even come close to doing what China did in the US shows a profound misunderstanding of reality. The whole point of America is that the government doesn't have the ability to do that without making it extremely bloody on both sides.

Both my kids got their first dose today and the lines were an hour long for the wait. It was really encouraging to see, and it's been that busy for weeks. Hopefully with kids getting vaxxed things don't get too out of hand again.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Ah yes that could never create problems larger than the problems it's trying to solve.

Tell me - do countries in the midst of a Civil War generally do well on pandemic containment measures? Seems like that would have a negative effect on federally-funded public health initiatives to me.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

OOCC why are you so invested on litigating every inch of covid being bad like it's WW1? What do you gain from clinging to toxic optimism?

It’s not optimism or pessimism It literally says some of the Monoclonal work and names which brands do and don’t.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Solkanar512 posted:

You asked why people say you gotta hand out to China re: COVID response.

Pointing to per capita cases and deaths is a short hand way of saying people credit China with aggressively and successfully containing COVID after the initial outbreak, and that they continue to do so. They aren't maintaining true COVID zero right now but do have very low case counts. We'll see if omicron spells the end of their successes, I suppose.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think (most) Americans have decided that covid isn't as bad as a single party authoritarian government and the number of deaths from a pandemic aren't going to change that.

The idea you could even come close to doing what China did in the US shows a profound misunderstanding of reality. The whole point of America is that the government doesn't have the ability to do that without making it extremely bloody on both sides.

Both my kids got their first dose today and the lines were an hour long for the wait. It was really encouraging to see, and it's been that busy for weeks. Hopefully with kids getting vaxxed things don't get too out of hand again.

Sure but otoh two other anglo Western democracies kept to COVID zero policies for nearly a year and a half before finally giving up. If the rest of the western world had done the same, we'd probably be in a much better place globally right now*. You don't need single party state communism to contain COVID.

*Also possible that in a world where COVID is pretty well contained in wealthy western countries throughout 2020, there's much less investment in and progress on treatments and vaccines.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
is this the "bad thread"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

brugroffil posted:

You asked why people say you gotta hand out to China re: COVID response.

Pointing to per capita cases and deaths is a short hand way of saying people credit China with aggressively and successfully containing COVID after the initial outbreak, and that they continue to do so. They aren't maintaining true COVID zero right now but do have very low case counts. We'll see if omicron spells the end of their successes, I suppose.

They are absolutely maintaining zero covid. It just turns out if you do that right; maintaining actually secure border quarantines, doing rigorous contact tracing, strict targeted lockdowns; it is indistinguishable from just living a normal life for everyone in the general population. You don’t need masking and distancing and perpetual safety theatrics if you just do it right in the first place.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

But what if we had dramatic zero covid lockdowns but like, democratically?

Edit: Holy poo poo, that's my worst page snipe ever. Have a cat picture. This is Andy, relaxing.

chill rear end cat. thread good?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Radirot posted:

is this the "bad thread"

Yeah. The cspam thread is significantly more informative and empirically correct about basically everything. This is the thread for denialists to bargain their way into some sort of hopefulness.

It also has a higher ratio of cat photos.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Stereotype posted:

They are absolutely maintaining zero covid. It just turns out if you do that right; maintaining actually secure border quarantines, doing rigorous contact tracing, strict targeted lockdowns; it is indistinguishable from just living a normal life for everyone in the general population. You don’t need masking and distancing and perpetual safety theatrics if you just do it right in the first place.

I mean that they are not at literally zero cases in the entire country.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Radirot posted:

is this the "bad thread"

edit: wrong thread

wear your masks folks, the fun times are over

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

brugroffil posted:

I mean that they are not at literally zero cases in the entire country.

There are zero unidentified cases that have come from community spread. They reported 23 new cases today, all of whom were entering the country.

Saying they aren’t zero covid is pathologically insincere and pedantic.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

Yeah. The cspam thread is significantly more informative and empirically correct about basically everything. This is the thread for denialists to bargain their way into some sort of hopefulness.

It also has a higher ratio of cat photos.

Who are "denialists", and what are they denying?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

China: 98,361 cases with a population of 1.4 billion

Wisconsin: 968,291 cases with a population of 5,8 million

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

COVID would indeed be easier to contain if every country in the world was an authoritarian one party state.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's bizarre that "testing" and "quarantining" and "compulsory masking in public" are held up as examples of authoritarianism rather than basic tools for public health in a pandemic.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Insanite posted:

It's bizarre that "testing" and "quarantining" and "compulsory masking in public" are held up as examples of authoritarianism rather than basic tools for public health in a pandemic.

not bizarre. it's because a lot of posters in this thread are dumb

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Vorik posted:

COVID would indeed be easier to contain if every country in the world was an authoritarian one party state.

How do you explain Taiwan, New Zealand and Australia?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

How are u posted:

Who are "denialists", and what are they denying?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vorik posted:

If we had competent government worldwide many things would be much easier to get done!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wrong thread

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Elea posted:

COVID hasn't been as politicized over there as it has been here.

Would just end up with more leftists getting instagibbed by 17 year olds again.

Vorik fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 28, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
HAIL LORD UNICRON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

nexous posted:

Telling vaccinated people it was safe to unmask in May stemmed from overly optimistic results of vaccines.

This grievance with Biden and the CDC pops up here a lot, but I really have to wonder how much of a difference it actually made in a country where most people weren't masking (or masking properly) in the first place. America's subsequent waves probably have a lot more to do with the vast swathes of unvaccinated CHUD country and (I assume) the winding back of other restrictions in blue states like a resumption of indoor dining than it does to do with some subsequently redacted advice that people could stop even bothering to hang a homemade cotton mask under their chin.

Insanite posted:

There's more authoritarian aspects to China's success than those three things, but since they were already part of life there the populace is more willing to go along with them.

Elea posted:

New Zealand and most Australian states have conceded defeat and I can assure you there was never anything "easy" about containing COVID while that containment lasted. Ultimately worthwhile, yes, but easy, no.

edit -

Vorik posted:

COVID hasn't been as politicized over there as it has been here.

Broadly true as a comparative statement but that's not saying much. The CBDs of Australia's cities are still filling up with thousands of dipshit protesters every weekend, many of them with Trump/Qanon/sov cit banners.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 28, 2021