Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mother's Basement dropped a video on the waking nightmare that is the live action Netflix Cowboy Bebop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gNCvrcztbQ

It's a good, nuanced video, and Geoff is willing to give the new show credit where it's due (which isn't often).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Street Fighter is a bit too stupid to be “good” but I’ve come around on it otherwise.

Street Fighter is so bad it's good.

Or, to put it another way;

Street Fighter is good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Street Fighter is a bit too stupid to be “good” but I’ve come around on it otherwise.
being smart would be out of character for it's genre.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Solitair posted:

It's a good, nuanced video, and Geoff is willing to give the new show credit where it's due (which isn't often).

Yeah, dude's got a pretty even take on something he could just destroy for easy likes, even if he's still pretty much saying "yeah this is poo poo".

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

my favorite vtuber is space ghost

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kibayasu posted:

It's hard not to enjoy Raul Julia. Or JCVD's attempt at what I believe he thought was an American accent.

Mortal Kombat is also genuinely fun. There's Chris Lambert clowning around as Raiden and also Johnny Cage is about perfect. It's even why Kano is Australian now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CYBEReris posted:

are the puppets from sesame street just physical vtubers? in this essay i will

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Andrew Verse posted:

Street Fighter is so bad it's good.

Or, to put it another way;

Street Fighter is good.

When I say stupid I don’t mean bad I really mean just stupid. Every single character is stupid, the villain’s plot is stupid, the good guys way to beat the villain is stupid, every single plot point to get us to the end is stupid. It’s too stupid to be bad which makes it entertaining? But not good. But not bad. But definitely not good. Still not bad though.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mother's Basement dropped a video on the waking nightmare that is the live action Netflix Cowboy Bebop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gNCvrcztbQ

Watching this, I felt the need to say "if you want a live-action show about a found-family in Western-space, why not renew Firefly?" And felt old, cursed mechanisms moving again

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

It's hard not to enjoy Raul Julia. Or JCVD's attempt at what I believe he thought was an American accent.

Mortal Kombat is also genuinely fun. There's Chris Lambert clowning around as Raiden and also Johnny Cage is about perfect. It's even why Kano is Australian now.

All the actors were good. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was perfect as Shang Tsung and I'm sad Robin Shou's career never took off after this and Beverly Hills Ninja.

Speaking of JCVD, I don't watch a lot of martial arts movies, it's basically MK95 and Bloodsport. And MK95 is an infinitely better movie than Bloodsport. I'm not sure why i like Bloodsport but if any movie is "so bad it's good" it's that one. I guess it's the 80s music and Bolo Yeung as Chong Li that make me love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p63lTONotQQ

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NikkolasKing posted:

All the actors were good. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was perfect as Shang Tsung and I'm sad Robin Shou's career never took off after this and Beverly Hills Ninja.

:same:

Robin Shou was cool and looked super good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fun hater posted:

i would rather see a slur than a vtuber tbh
philistine

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CYBEReris posted:

Reminder that Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force is a vtuber.

Solar Tornado posted:

Watching this, I felt the need to say "if you want a live-action show about a found-family in Western-space, why not renew Firefly?" And felt old, cursed mechanisms moving again

There's already a Firefly reboot in the works, lol.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

John Murdoch posted:

Reminder that Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force is a vtuber.

There's already a Firefly reboot in the works, lol.

Will they actually cast asian actors in speaking roles this time?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYW5rmQgGXE

Street Fighter is stupid in a very funny way, gently caress the haters.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
What blew my mind when I was listening to someone talk about Street Fighter the Movie. If you pay attention, you notice that throughout the movie the characters slowly change into the clothes they wear in the game (if they weren't wearing them from the beginning, like Vega or Bison). It's such a goofy little detail but it shows that at some level, they were thinking about this stuff.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Solar Tornado posted:

I'm still convinced that the main thing driving firefly's popularity is being cancelled before Whedon could ruin it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The new Mortal Kombat was so bad I turned it off about five minutes in and I'm usually the kind of person that has to finish a movie or book once I've started it. I was always turned off by how up their rear end they got with the lore in the post-digitized games and making a new boring everyman when you have Johnny Cage right there was bizarre (I'm assuming he died in one of the modern games or something).

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of JCVD, I don't watch a lot of martial arts movies, it's basically MK95 and Bloodsport. And MK95 is an infinitely better movie than Bloodsport. I'm not sure why i like Bloodsport but if any movie is "so bad it's good" it's that one. I guess it's the 80s music and Bolo Yeung as Chong Li that make me love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p63lTONotQQ

Cary was so good as Shang Tsung that they brought him back for MK11 and he was the most entertaining character in the story.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Draga posted:

Cary was so good as Shang Tsung that they brought him back for MK11 and he was the most entertaining character in the story.

Aftermath really is The Shang Tsung Show, he's got the biggest poo poo eating grin on a bunch of the time and otherwise smarming it up and loving it, it rules.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The new Mortal Kombat was so bad I turned it off about five minutes in and I'm usually the kind of person that has to finish a movie or book once I've started it. I was always turned off by how up their rear end they got with the lore in the post-digitized games and making a new boring everyman when you have Johnny Cage right there was bizarre (I'm assuming he died in one of the modern games or something).

lore-poisoning is real and there are too many things that fall victim to it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Srice posted:

lore-poisoning is real and there are too many things that fall victim to it

The new Mortal Kombat movie actually completely deviates from the lore in a major way with the whole thing about fighters only being allowed to join in the tournament if they have a special mark and said special mark gives them superpowers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Terrible Opinions posted:

I'm still convinced that the main thing driving firefly's popularity is being cancelled before Whedon could ruin it.

It came at the right time, too. Riding high off Buffy and Angel being cancelled at the fans wanting something else, and before the "Really? Dollhouse?" era and then... everything else. He did a movie, I think? I didn't see it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never saw it but I heard that Monster Hunter sucked hard like Warcraft too.

Dias posted:

are the puppets from sesame street just physical vtubers? in this essay i will

Destabilizing the Vtuber industry by combining shadow puppets with voice acting.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I never saw it but I heard that Monster Hunter sucked hard like Warcraft too.

The MH movie sucked real bad.

Warcraft was neat when it was around the orcs, but then they also cut fun and good scenes from the movie that you can only see in extras for some reason too.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’ve seen a fair amount of people really like the Sonic movie and call it better than Detective Pikachu, but I didn’t feel like that was the case at all. It’s not a perfect movie by any means but Detective Pikachu was a lot of fun to watch.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edit: Double post.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Are people seriously saying that Death Note is the best anime adaptation when we have Alita AND Speed Racer?

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Thundersword238 posted:

Are people seriously saying that Death Note is the best anime adaptation when we have Alita AND Speed Racer?

The only people I've heard talking about good live action Western anime adaptations recently are Pat and Woolie, and they said Speed Racer was the best one, followed by Alita.

Schir fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 29, 2021

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Thundersword238 posted:

Alita was far better than it had any right to be and I really hope it gets the sequel it deserves.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Speed Racer is an absolute blast

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MacheteZombie posted:

Speed Racer is an absolute blast
if you ever get to see this in theaters, do it, it's an EXPERIENCE

similar with alita

alita will never get a proper sequel and I hate this hellish planet for it

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I guess extended recaps of TV is now an entire YouTube genre, since Billiam put out a nearly 3-hour retrospective and recap of :lost: season 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tk664MfQgU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

drat, I love lost but even I'm not interested in watching that

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Solar Tornado posted:

Clearly the answer is a Netflix Live Action adaption of Outlaw Sta-- *immediately turns to stone*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobjr posted:

I’ve seen a fair amount of people really like the Sonic movie and call it better than Detective Pikachu, but I didn’t feel like that was the case at all. It’s not a perfect movie by any means but Detective Pikachu was a lot of fun to watch.

The Sonic movie breaks people because it is very serviceable and everyone was expecting a total trainwreck.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The utter collapse of Joss Whedon’s reputation has almost certainly prevented a Buffy continuation. Maybe a Firefly remake too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is farscape problematic too or can we just bring that back

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
farscape is perfect and should not be revisited because it would not be allowed to remain perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cancelling or just dragging things out for decades is a much better way of keeping interest in something going than actually finishing or continuing it. Especially if you risk doing it badly. It's also why a lot of serious end up doing endless prequels or origin stories. 1