Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That could very well be the case, but, as if with the other worldbuilding questions, the show just doesn’t care enough to talk about any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The empire no longer being able to build or properly maintain NUCLEAR reactors is a major plot point of the first book, with a planet's reactor blowing up and irradiating millions of people because of poor maintenance. The response by the Empire was not to train more or better NUCLEAR techs, but to limit the use the tech and ration their supply of maintenance labor. This helped to establish that the Empire was in a downward spiral.

Of course nothing like this is present in the show and daddy Empire ends the season more in control than he started, being in control of an expert intelligence agency that can determine everyone you ever interacted with and kill them all without much effort.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Here's another another question: Why would a civilization that has mastered controlling gravity even have a space elevator in the first place? Even Waterworld and Terminus had ships just landing and taking off from the planet like it's no big deal.

Maybe it's just traffic management, precisely so they don't have a kazillion ships landing everywhere. Like those cities that limit car traffic downtown -- you park at one of the gigantic facilities on the circumference and ride the metro the rest of the way in.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The empire no longer being able to build or properly maintain NUCLEAR reactors is a major plot point of the first book, with a planet's reactor blowing up and irradiating millions of people because of poor maintenance.

Where's Jared Harris when you need him?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Here's another another question: Why would a civilization that has mastered controlling gravity even have a space elevator in the first place? Even Waterworld and Terminus had ships just landing and taking off from the planet like it's no big deal.

it could be for bigger ftl ships. the battleship wasn't able to land on terminus

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Rutibex posted:

Trantor is supposed to be the city of ancient Rome, with its population of 1 million and its need to import grain from Egypt. Which makes the Second Foundation the Catholic Church?

I always wondered what the Foundation was supposed to be in this historical analogy. Maybe England? Britannia is kind of like Terminus.

The Moors

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I enjoyed S1 as gorgeous sci fi camerawork and imagery that someone has tried to attach a plot to. Then again I really like the WOT adaptation. Probably some goons enjoy the imagery (and acting, although in the case of Foundation the good bits are really just Empire and Hari) while not getting too caught up in the story and others want a bit more substance.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Did anyone else notice that Evil Brother Dawn had a British accent? Lol

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I enjoyed S1 as gorgeous sci fi camerawork and imagery that someone has tried to attach a plot to. Then again I really like the WOT adaptation. Probably some goons enjoy the imagery (and acting, although in the case of Foundation the good bits are really just Empire and Hari) while not getting too caught up in the story and others want a bit more substance.

lol this just reminded me how loving bad all the action scenes were

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

SpaceAceJase posted:

Did anyone else notice that Evil Brother Dawn had a British accent? Lol

but he's the same in exactly every way!!!!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Finally watching this last episode, and it loving sucks so bad

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

gohmak posted:

The Moors
I think they're supposed to be Irish monks, but I like this answer better.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
I'd be really curious to see a fan edit of just the Empire storyline and if it would work on its own without all the terrible Terminus/Gaal stuff

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rollos posted:

I'd be really curious to see a fan edit of just the Empire storyline and if it would work on its own without all the terrible Terminus/Gaal stuff

It'd be weird to focus on this Hari guy so much at the beginning just to never see or deal with him again, but other than that a solid 2-4 hour scifi miniseries!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Rollos posted:

the empire poo poo is only appears to be good because it's surrounded by garbage, it's actually garbage as well.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
For all the issues with the characters of Interstellar, one thing that got across real well was that finding yourself suddenly decades past when you last saw your loved ones will seriously mess with you. But 2 of our main characters in Foundation seem happy to do that on hope and a prayer. There's a lot of serious issues with the plot they threw together for this "adaptation", but that is pulling me out of this just for being so... inhuman of the characters we're supposed to empathize with most.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Orthanc6 posted:

For all the issues with the characters of Interstellar, one thing that got across real well was that finding yourself suddenly decades past when you last saw your loved ones will seriously mess with you. But 2 of our main characters in Foundation seem happy to do that on hope and a prayer. There's a lot of serious issues with the plot they threw together for this "adaptation", but that is pulling me out of this just for being so... inhuman of the characters we're supposed to empathize with most.

Naw, I think it's an intentional choice to make the two main characters so narcissistic that they are completely unbothered, excited even, to abandon their lives so completely that everyone they ever knew is dead.
:laugh:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Everyone on Terminus sucks, I’d be jumping at the chance to never see them again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Everyone on Terminus sucks, I’d be jumping at the chance to never see them again.

Next season will be whole episodes of gaal narration

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

etalian posted:

Next season will be whole episodes of gaal narration

pages of bot-generated pseudo-intellectual bullshit

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
With a British accent tho so you know it’s serious

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Silly me for thinking Jared Harris scored a sweet deal to get paid piles of money just show up in 2 episodes of this bad show.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Giving a half-assed speech to two worlds locked in a blood feud and a staff that just lost half its people to a brutal attack before sauntering back into the crystal coffin is a power move

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It was a Crystal gaming palace, he had like 5 minutes between rounds.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Why don't they make the entire space ship out of the space coffin box?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Besides Lee Pace and Jared Harris are these people good actors in any other shows because holy poo poo it’s pretty bad. Salvo stands out as the worst for me but I’m going to assume that down to bad writing for her character.

This show wasn’t very good.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They haven’t reached “everyone starts whisper acting” yet so there’s still some downward spiral left.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Salvor actress is godawful, Gaal actress must have some sort of contractual requirement to wear swimwear in every episode

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Salvor actress is godawful, Gaal actress must have some sort of contractual requirement to wear swimwear in every episode

Ok glad it’s not just me.

Also lol at the second part because I thought that too.

I really wanted to love this show but it really does fight you the whole way lol.

For all mankind is amazing though

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Guys guys guys, it's because Gaal's from a water planet, and not just a blatant attempt to insert random sex appeal into the show.

She even has a thoughtful shower* at one point, LOL.

*It's that phenomenon where female characters Just Have To process their emotional reactions to things while in the shower, whereas men tend to just, you know, stare into the distance with their clothes on.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m rereading the first Foundation book and I can literally see the writers skimming through it and , after the first chapter, just writing down buzz words.

Mhmm yes… Salvor Hardin … Anacreon… crisis, vault thingy… great hunt… derelict battlecruiser… right, think I’ve got enough to get this season out the door by Monday.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Also, coming off hot from two robot novels, Asimov’s habit of having character exclaim! poo poo constantly is irritating. The man had his writing style, that’s for sure, and it’s not very good, I think. drat fine futurist, though.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

Guys guys guys, it's because Gaal's from a water planet, and not just a blatant attempt to insert random sex appeal into the show.

She even has a thoughtful shower* at one point, LOL.

*It's that phenomenon where female characters Just Have To process their emotional reactions to things while in the shower, whereas men tend to just, you know, stare into the distance with their clothes on.

:same: and they spend many several silent minutes every time that happens, with all these gestures like hands-pressed-together-and-thumbs-pressed-to-nose-while-crouching type stuff that seemed really excessive and wasteful of time in conveying the emotions involved

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I liked it when Gaal damaged the control panel of the spaceship, it instantly disabled the life support cooling functions.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr. Apollo posted:

I liked it when Gaal damaged the control panel of the spaceship, it instantly disabled the life support cooling functions.

Listen, its like doors in sci-fi shows. You shoot the door controls and it either failsafes to open or failsafes to locked, depending on what the plot demands.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which one is it if the door is controlled by a digital knife?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Which one is it if the door is controlled by a digital knife?

Whatever you need the nanobots to do

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

ElGroucho posted:

Some people like shirtless Lee Pace, some people like swimsuit Gaal. :shrug:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

remember when Lee Pace forgot how to limp lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Google Butt posted:

remember when Lee Limp forgot how to pace lmao