Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

People forget how calorie dense ethanol is. Chugging vodka is like chugging liquidised sausage by volume.
If you drink enough of it, it gets metabolized through a different path where it can't contribute much to dietary calories.

Also if you're drinking that much your liver is probably spending so much time healing that you don't get many calories from fat either, and just poo poo it out.

It's not a recommended lifestyle, but it is a popular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

The internet has really shone a light on how mindlessly spiteful most people actually are, it's kinda depressing

Philanthropy For Misanthropy. Everytime someone is awful, balance it out, if you can. Someone screaming about lazy benefits scroungers? Put a tin in the foodbank. Conniptions over migrants being rescued? Donation to the RNLI or your local refugee charity. Or drop some of your unwanted stuff off at a charity shop, or buy charity Christmas cards, or find a cafe that does a 'pay it forwards' scheme and...pay it forwards. And if you'e looking at local FB or news pages, make a note of any local traders who say terrible things and resolve never to give them business.

If you've really got the time and money, infiltrate places like the National Trust so that the anti-woke don't sweep the boards when they elect trustees. But the majority of people being spiteful on the internet are just doing that. They aren't out there fighting the bad fight. It can feel so overwhelming but even a tiny gesture of support can help people weather the storm.

Be the light in someone else's darkness.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Early web browser based internet, with the webrings and FTP servers etc from around 97 to 01 was pretty wild and fresh and I kinda preferred the time where the internet was mainly populated with bonafide geeks, and my activities were rightly mocked by society at large

Now it's en vogue to be a shut in constantly online and responding to messages and despite there being so many more people around it feels a lot more homogeneous and less diverse

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

mrpwase posted:

It's been loving snowing here most of the day, in West Yorkshire!

Snow has apparently been forecast for London later tonight :stare:

E: I am jealous of this fluff

(btw the Slapdash Summerhouse that also features in this pic is "finished")

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 28, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It came down past Leics about 3-5pm.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I restarted a DD to the RNLI when all this kicked off a couple of months ago. (I joined way back in about 1979 but lost track over the years).
Anyway, I swear that my entire month's subs are going on mailouts. I have emailed them asked them to stop sending me snail mail but it is still coming.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

If you drink enough of it, it gets metabolized through a different path where it can't contribute much to dietary calories.

Also if you're drinking that much your liver is probably spending so much time healing that you don't get many calories from fat either, and just poo poo it out.

It's not a recommended lifestyle, but it is a popular one.

One weight loss trick doctors hate!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HopperUK posted:

It's loving snowing here, just outside London.

It's been snowing here since friday, I thought it was everywhere.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I restarted a DD to the RNLI when all this kicked off a couple of months ago. (I joined way back in about 1979 but lost track over the years).
Anyway, I swear that my entire month's subs are going on mailouts. I have emailed them asked them to stop sending me snail mail but it is still coming.

I donated some money to MSF earlier in the year and I'm pretty sure I ticked/unticked every box related to them contacting me, but they still do it anyway.
There's probably some sort of breach of the rules going on, but I feel like you'd be missing the spirit of the thing if you sued a charity over that.

[edit]
Unless it's the donkey sanctuary. gently caress those people

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Charities are generally pretty loving careful about not contacting you if you asked not to be these days - it might be worth just ringing them up cos it could just be an individual gently caress up, especially with a charity the size of MSF.

That said, they can actually still contact you however they like - those boxes apply specifically to marketing to you. Stuff like your welcome letter will still arrive, and any admin stuff. You shouldn't get any marketing materials though. There's also the issue of some stuff being opt in and some opt out, often on the main form. A few I've worked for had check, check, check, uncheck for signing up to be contacted in every way, and the opposite for the other way round. Very confusing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i dontated to the jeremy corbyn defence fund but then noone sued him. So they occasionally email me to tell me jeremy is trying his hardest to get sued, don't worry, it'll happen.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jakabite posted:

Charities are generally pretty loving careful about not contacting you if you asked not to be these days - it might be worth just ringing them up cos it could just be an individual gently caress up, especially with a charity the size of MSF.

That said, they can actually still contact you however they like - those boxes apply specifically to marketing to you. Stuff like your welcome letter will still arrive, and any admin stuff. You shouldn't get any marketing materials though. There's also the issue of some stuff being opt in and some opt out, often on the main form. A few I've worked for had check, check, check, uncheck for signing up to be contacted in every way, and the opposite for the other way round. Very confusing.

Yeah, I'm not complaining about the admin stuff but more appeals, raffle tickets etc! I've signed up for what I can afford and I support a number of other causes so can't do more.
I work for a small charity myself (just 3 employees) and we are really hot on taking people off lists when they don't want to be contacted. Mind you, we only do one mailout a year with our annual report in it. No begging letters to individuals.

Unrelated:

What IS he doing to himself? Is he really an alcoholic or could it be something else? (Says Jae with a picture rotting in the attic .... )

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I think it's pretty well established at this point that he's a drunk tbh.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know a man who once got banned from the daily telegraph comments section for racism, then got banned from the daily Mail online comments section for the same thing .

He ended up on some discord server called something like “censored by the daily telegraph”

It is honestly hard to describe how racist this guy was in real life, but being banned by the daily Mail for going too far is a clue.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I think it's pretty well established at this point that he's a drunk tbh.

I've never actually seen it mentioned outside of this forum. Is there a credible source? I thought it all just kicked off cos of a) that publicity photo of him in his office with a bottle of scotch in the background and b) just look at him.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m currently learning how to colour grade video and I’m thinking my next gently caress around project might be the stages of Keith.

Yeah JA, that’s very annoying if it’s a ton snail mail appeals. I’m surprised organisations are still doing that but retention goes up massively with age so maybe it’s to appeal to a demographic that doesn’t use email. Still not on to be sending you stuff too if you’ve opted out like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Perfect Element posted:

I've never actually seen it mentioned outside of this forum. Is there a credible source? I thought it all just kicked off cos of a) that publicity photo of him in his office with a bottle of scotch in the background and b) just look at him.

His publicity tours seem to consist of him going to various parts of england and drinking beer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then backing into cyclists in his car.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

His publicity tours seem to consist of him going to various parts of england and drinking beer.

That's what happens when I leave the flat too so who am I to judge?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

And pointing. Don't forget the pointing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if he has done the farage pointing-with-a-beer yet?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Flamur Beqiri: CCTV shows man shot dead in front of family

BBC News posted:

A masked gunman was captured on CCTV shooting dead a man in front of his screaming wife as she shielded their two-year-old, a court has heard.

Anis Hemissi allegedly killed Flamur Beqiri outside his Battersea home on Christmas Eve 2019 as part of violent rivalry between two Swedish gangs.

Oh the horror! Clearly we must change immigration rules post-haste to stop the rampage of the infamously bloodthirsty, uhh, Swedish, criminal gangs.

Must be the viking blood in their veins, they just can't stop being violent.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Flamur Beqiri: CCTV shows man shot dead in front of family

Oh the horror! Clearly we must change immigration rules post-haste to stop the rampage of the infamously bloodthirsty, uhh, Swedish, criminal gangs.

Must be the viking blood in their veins, they just can't stop being violent.

Coming over here, with their good personal hygiene, stealing our women, and renaming our towns to end in -by.. oh.

quote:

”The Danes, thanks to their habit to comb their hair every day, to bathe every Saturday, to change their garments often, and set off their persons by many such frivolous devices. In this manner, they laid siege to the virtue of the married women, and persuaded the daughters even of the nobles to be their concubines.”

https://skjalden.com/vikings-seduced-women-across-europe/

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

kingturnip posted:

Unless it's the donkey sanctuary. gently caress those people

What's wrong with the Donkey Sanctuary?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Then backing into cyclists in his car.

He u-turned into him, by pure coincidence right outside a pub.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Biden apparently forming a transgender atheist army according to nutcase.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/11/29/anti-lgbt-christian-activist-gordon-klingenschmitt-joe-biden-transgender-military/

quote:

Anti-LGBT+ Christian activist claims Joe Biden is forming a ‘transgender atheist army’

An anti-LGBT+ Christian activist and former Republican lawmaker has claimed that president elect Joe Biden is forming a “transgender atheist army”.

Gordon Klingenschmitt is a former Navy chaplain who served in the Colorado House of Representatives from 2015 until 2017, and is now a Christian anti-LGBT+ activist and “motivational speaker” who goes by the name “Dr Chaps”.

In a newsletter to his followers, Klingenschmitt warned that Joe Biden was planning to form a “transgender atheist army for the antichrist”.

In the newsletter he referenced Biden’s victory speech, in which he thanked “gay, straight and transgender” Americans for their support, his promise to reverse Donald Trump’s trans military ban, and other commitments to protection the LGBT+ community.

But Klingenschmitt insisted that Biden was out to “transgenderize the military and punish Christian troops”, writing: “Female solders and students will be forced to share common showers and rooms with cross-dressing men or boys with male anatomy, within hours of Biden’s inauguration.”

He added: “Christian troops who object to sharing co-ed showers and bunks with opposite gender anatomy will be vilified as ‘discriminators’ and punished, demoted, discharged or court-martialed.

“Mark my words. The devil wants an atheist army for the antichrist, soon.”

etc

Warning: the second half which I haven't quoted gets really offensive.

VVV I didn't notice but this article is a year old.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 29, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Coming over here, with their good personal hygiene, stealing our women, and renaming our towns to end in -by.. oh.

https://skjalden.com/vikings-seduced-women-across-europe/

Virtue sieging is the next step after virtue signalling.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I saw this, now you have to too

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1465071934245322762

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Once again, they're living in a much more entertaining reality.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/11/29/anti-lgbt-christian-activist-gordon-klingenschmitt-joe-biden-transgender-military/

Warning: the second half which I haven't quoted gets really offensive.

That's from a year ago (to the day). I'm guessing one of your social media things is doing a "look what you posted a year ago" thing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

It came down past Leics about 3-5pm.

Aye the fact we got any snow at all shows it's serious, because the typical Leics experience is that it snows exactly up to the city limits and not a flake falls within. I know cities are warmer than rural areas so snow will inevitably be a bit less liable to fall and settle but folks do not understand that Leicester is her own girl

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

It's funny how fixated these guys are on equivocating their mouths with their arses (see: frequent use of the phrase 'face-nappy').

It's silly really, cos one releases noxious poo poo everywhere and the other... Oh.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
People should get better masks and learn to fit them, if you can smell a fart your mask is poo poo.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

keep punching joe posted:

People should get better masks and learn to fit them, if you can smell a fart your mask is poo poo.

No, they're saying that wearing a mask is like retaining a fart in your pants.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Perfect Element posted:

No, they're saying that wearing a mask is like retaining a fart in your pants.

Maybe they should brush their teeth more

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CountBinface/status/1465235237324177411

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Piers Corbyn is a psyop.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hmmmm...

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1464921044125376513

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

Piers Corbyn is a psyop.

Are you trying to claim that Piers Corbyn is willing to accept large amounts of money to promote propaganda and lies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/29/tory-voters-in-north-of-england-view-social-care-reforms-as-toxic-research

quote:

At PMQs on Wednesday, Keir Starmer called the changes a “working-class dementia tax”, accusing the prime minister of breaking the Conservatives’ manifesto promise that no one would have to sell their home to pay care costs.

The line was tested across the groups in the report, with a majority calling it a fair criticism. One male Conservative voter in Redcar said: “Totally agree. People who get put in a home are penalised. It only related to the working class. People who are on handouts, it wouldn’t affect them, the rich, it won’t affect them.”

quote:

One Tory voter in Redcar, when played Starmer’s line at PMQs that those living in expensive homes would be able to pass them to their children versus those with a less valuable home, said it was “disgusting … they are robbing your kids really”.

Kier Starmer: says incredibly obvious thing
Guardian: hey you, look at this thing he said
Person looking at it: that's reasonable