Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mycomancy posted:

Stop letting strangers sneeze into your rear end in a top hat and you may not get COVID!

I CAN'T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

mycomancy posted:

Stop letting strangers sneeze into your rear end in a top hat and you may not get COVID!

Only now do I truly understand the word "tyranny"

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Judakel posted:

my half mask doesn't leave room for eye protection. how common is entry through the eye anyway? listen man at this rate i am going to get it through my rear end in a top hat too

hm yes let me pull up the infection statistics here on the cspam central computer, they should be fully tagged by which orifice the virus entered each patient through

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

mycomancy posted:

I have a feeling that if the USSR was still ascendant and we hadn't had a nuclear war yet, America would've crushed this thing before summer 2020 was over.

Americans only respond to violence, so this actually feels right. launching a vaccine before the Russkies would be our new moon race. we’d be desperately releasing mRNA IP around the world to keep countries in our sphere of influence.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
lmao

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1465099848026259462

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Dustcat posted:

hm yes let me pull up the infection statistics here on the cspam central computer, they should be fully tagged by which orifice the virus entered each patient through

is there even one case anyone can point to that is verifiable through the eye?

these sound like lab settings and fake news

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he’s clearly not pointing

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Raiad posted:

Emotions are running high right now with the news of Omicron, but stop to consider this; for most of human history, we have survived without any semblance of a medical system. In the past, we would appeal to the gods and spirits of nature to watch over us, and I feel that it is time to embrace these traditions again. Anyone out there have good ideas for beings that we can petition for salvation?

i dunno if the alloy aliens stuck around but it's worth giving them a call i guess

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

the denial of this thing for the next two weeks is really gonna suck

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

old humans didn’t have (for profit ) medicinal systems but their population density was like 1

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

euphronius posted:

he’s clearly not pointing

tfw you have to appoint the galactic starchild, but also you have covid

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

alien obelisk is now PM of Czech Republic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

many machines on Omicron Lyrea

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Judakel posted:

they don't mean it drills through your eyeball but rather that it goes into the mucous membranes around your eye and tear ducts

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Dustcat posted:

they don't mean it drills through your eyeball but rather that it goes into the mucous membranes around your eye and tear ducts

i know

the drilling is a few mutations away still

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

mycomancy posted:

I have a feeling that if the USSR was still ascendant and we hadn't had a nuclear war yet, America would've crushed this thing before summer 2020 was over.

probably not lol you're seeing what is more likely to have exactly happened right now with China instead of the USSR. Just with the benefit of an extra 30 years propaganda.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So it got lost in the posting but uh, what's the point of the envomask? It's a 'reusable N95' but you have to replace the filter every use, right? So how is that in any meaningful way different from just wearing a new aura ever day?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

we can only hope he wins again in 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

we can only assume at this point that the virus can be transmitted via sight

bird box made real, lmao

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

euphronius posted:

old humans didn’t have (for profit ) medicinal systems but their population density was like 1

The GBS bronze age collapse thread is pretty good IMO(if you have archives)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Listen, I know Zeman is a cryptofascist, but do we really need to do the whole Magneto prison schtick? It didn't even keep him imprisoned indefinitely!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Judakel posted:

I mean there's cases where people have caught it while for all appearances wearing an N95 and/or half respirator correctly. (Like I think meet girls at the store's partner teaching).

But do we know for sure it wasn't some other exposure or possibly a momentary leak due to moving/stretching/whatever? No.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Wasn't the primary evidence of ocular transmission the fact that even in the early days in 2020 the statistics were showing that when all else was equal/controlled for, individuals with glasses seemed to get infected less often than those who did not wear glasses?

EDIT: And, I mean, to be fair, wearing a face shield over your mask is such a non-effort that I don't see why not. It's what I've been doing. Like especially if you're already in the respirator crew; why the gently caress not?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

KaptainKrunk posted:

the denial of this thing for the next two weeks is really gonna suck

If only denial merely lasted two wreks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EorayMel posted:

The GBS bronze age collapse thread is pretty good IMO(if you have archives)

yes but I mean old old

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So it got lost in the posting but uh, what's the point of the envomask? It's a 'reusable N95' but you have to replace the filter every use, right? So how is that in any meaningful way different from just wearing a new aura ever day?

I don’t have one but from what I’ve seen it’s a n95 with a nice silicone seal to the face. the idea being you get the advantages of a half mask (better seal and comfort) with a smaller fit and less “elastomeric doomer look” I guess

does it work? beats me

also don’t forget: most n95s are rated for 40 hours of wear time, and the failure mode is “christ it’s hard to breathe through this thing”, not “oops now I’m a n35”. nobody needs a new aura every day, and you wouldn’t need to put a new filter on every day on this either. but I’d still say “stick with cheap and available and reliable 3M/Honeywell filters”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

btw the Egyptians were just fine during the so called Bronze Age collapse

Eurocentric much ???

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/DavidLVBauer/status/1465088516912730114
https://twitter.com/DavidLVBauer/status/1465090902670647304
https://twitter.com/DavidLVBauer/status/1465094246994698246
https://twitter.com/DavidLVBauer/status/1465098248696254471
https://twitter.com/DavidLVBauer/status/1465100062804086790
https://twitter.com/DavidLVBauer/status/1465101420240285701

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1465094321095557129?s=19

guys everyone really needs to chill we don't know anything yet which means it can't be all that bad

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Just ban all the D&D Superstars, problem solved :shrug:

in particular, Commie GR as a mod needs to be stripped of mod status. truly the worst mod I’ve seen here in a long, long time.

my newest mask is coming tomorrow, stoked.

https://rzmask.com/products/black-m2-5-mask?variant=30927580233763

these are the best non full resp masks I know of. best of all, they seal well, and with the plugs you can order they don’t vent. better ratings than N95’s as well.

I also have a large head, and it’s comfortable for extended periods of time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I will go to the covid cave and face Covid

alone

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

all of these infections lost like tears in the rain

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
welp, don't expect the government to do anything about omicron

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

WarEternal posted:

If only denial merely lasted two wreks.

Unless we're all wrong - and frankly I'd much rather be wrong than right in this case because dear God - then I suspect that denialism won't last long outside the fash crowd. Mind you, I mean literal, outright, denialism like we're seeing now. I imagine that - again assuming we're right in our preliminary assessment - once the sheer scale of how dire omicron is, instead of outright denialism we'll just have some sort of shift to fatalism or something. You can't let the virus win, you just have to live your life.
Denialism will probably continue for children, I suspect, but I think for adults it will be a pivot towards some sort of grim resignation or defiance or something. Or just ignore it entirely and focus on screaming about China or how bad Republicans are for not being vaccinated or something. But I feel like if we're right about how bad Omicron is going to be, that it will be so loving obvious and apparent that unless you're a conservative or fascist and thus well versed and comfortable in outright denying objective reality, that yeah, the liberals wont be able to.

Liberals don't meaningfully engage with reality, but they at least recognize something resembling reality. The sort of denialism that denialism of Omicron will likely require is not something I think most will be capable of/comfortable with. I mean, yeah, we can argue that ignoring a problem is a form of denialism, and I'd agree, but I'm talking about the active denialism we currently see where people are actively and deliberately talking about the problem and saying why it's not actually a problem.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

ya dow is gonna go through the roof because dip buying has become a religion. we're already at an acceptable level of death and destruction, so unless this thing breaks through vaccines in a serious way or is more severe it'll just be the cost of doing business.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

euphronius posted:

btw the Egyptians were just fine during the so called Bronze Age collapse

Eurocentric much ???

we're gonna build a grain storage system and the sea peoples are gonna pay for it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

covid is still over

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

rich people finally figured out the couple print infinite money and give it to themselves so we just have to ride that one out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

I don’t have one but from what I’ve seen it’s a n95 with a nice silicone seal to the face. the idea being you get the advantages of a half mask (better seal and comfort) with a smaller fit and less “elastomeric doomer look” I guess

does it work? beats me

also don’t forget: most n95s are rated for 40 hours of wear time, and the failure mode is “christ it’s hard to breathe through this thing”, not “oops now I’m a n35”. nobody needs a new aura every day, and you wouldn’t need to put a new filter on every day on this either. but I’d still say “stick with cheap and available and reliable 3M/Honeywell filters”

Oh yeah, I'm full on elastomeric. It's more for my father and some other relatives who won't join the elite.
The failure mode is legit that it gets hard to breathe? That's good because I'm pretty sure my idiot dad is just wearing the same ones more or less for weeks on end.

But yeah. I just bought some Auras for him and for myself for the aforementioned doctor issues. They actually came today, to my pleasant surprise, I was expecting them tomorrow. I tried one on and yeah, I must say I'm shocked how comfy it was, and I actually finally found a non-elastomeric that seems to give me a proper seal! So for the minority of folks in this thread who haven't joined the elastomeric elite, I'd definitely throw my recommendation in for the 3M Aura.