Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

indigi posted:

also prequel memes are infinitely better

this one is still pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Muppet Christmas Carol is one of those required annual viewings in my house along with the top tier Rankin Bass specials

Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Rudolph
Frosty
Year Without a Santa Claus

I'd say Little Drummer Boy but lol I forgot that poo poo opens with the kid's family being brutally loving slaughtered and that's a bit intense for my daughter and her nieces/nephews

E: oh wait my wife corrected me, you don't see it until 10 minutes or so in as a flashback and the dad catches a throwing knife and the mom's death is implied with the fuckin house burning down which is still a bit brutal compared to their other stuff

Good soup! has issued a correction as of 20:22 on Nov 28, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Every year I rewatch movies I do not like and then post that I still do not like those movies. I'm a film connoisseur

The last time i watched the original star wars was...like 15 years ago lol. You really are a dumb motherfucker huh

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

mandatory lesbian posted:

The last time i watched the original star wars was...like 15 years ago lol. You really are a dumb motherfucker huh

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lets ban all star wars and zach snyder lovers from this thread they are truly the worst. just the most baby brained opinions and tastes imaginable

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good soup! posted:

i rewatched the despecialized editions a year or two ago, i enjoyed the hell out of em, sorry you dont like fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bitch!!!!!!
you should checkout the 35mm 4k remaster that a bunch of fans got their hands on old old reels and cleaned it up, spliced working footage together. there's also a digital noise reduction version which helps because the noise doesn't look great on a monitor/tv, but if you're using a projector then you probably want the non-dnr version.

it's truly cool as heck seeing all the little finest detail on all the knobs and walls.

i dont think they're amazing movies but cinematography and set wise there's so much cool poo poo going on that it was still wonderful to re-watch them from their presumed-lost source reels and just watch it from a technical-point of view.

edit: link to the project and comparisons
https://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com/project-4k77/

Xaris has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Nov 28, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Casey Finnigan posted:

if they keep putting out terrible star wars media the franchise should finally experience its artifically-delayed natural death just like dark vader from the movies.

Star Wars is pretty much a permanent fixture because they can just throw nostalgia stuff and make billions until they're too scared to do anything challenging or original. And even then, it won't die.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Star Wars is pretty much a permanent fixture because they can just throw nostalgia stuff and make billions until they're too scared to do anything challenging or original. And even then, it won't die.

until? lol they're already doing that.

and it does seem to be dying because disney milked it hard af until only bloody pus is coming out of the star tits

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

until? lol they're already doing that.

and it does seem to be dying because disney milked it hard af until only bloody pus is coming out of the star tits

for a while maybe but you cant keep that beast down for long

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I think the most interesting thing Star Wars could do would be a show about smugglers just pulling off heists and space fights but by Season 2 they'll end up making it about Han Solo or one of the characters is revealed to be a Jedi. Can't escape the nostalgia black hole.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, i forgot how salty the 4k77 faq is

babypolis posted:

lets ban all star wars and zach snyder lovers from this thread they are truly the worst. just the most baby brained opinions and tastes imaginable

bite me!

I think the most interesting thing Star Wars could do would be a show about smugglers just pulling off heists and space fights but by Season 2 they'll end up making it about Han Solo or one of the characters is revealed to be a Jedi. Can't escape the nostalgia black hole.

it's obvious to say, but the drive to nostalgia just doesn't really contribute to the creation of interesting new things. in practical terms it's as much work to integrate any of the things being a star war gets you as it would be to just come up with something cool and new, c.f. luke just turning up at the end of mandolorian being kinda dissatifying. and then with the license comes disney or whoever breathing down your neck to include all the poo poo that sells toys.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Good soup! posted:

I'd say Little Drummer Boy but lol I forgot that poo poo opens with the kid's family being brutally loving slaughtered and that's a bit intense for my daughter and her nieces/nephews

E: oh wait my wife corrected me, you don't see it until 10 minutes or so in as a flashback and the dad catches a throwing knife and the mom's death is implied with the fuckin house burning down which is still a bit brutal compared to their other stuff

There's also Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey, where Nestor and his mother are thrown out into a blizzard and his mother freezes to death.

I remember liking The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, the final Rankin/Bass stop-animated special, in which Santa Claus is dying and the various spirits of nature try to decide if he should be saved. Santa is voiced by the same guy who did Mumm-Ra on Thundercats.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
My little cousin is have a Spiderman/ spider Gwen themed drive by birthparty.

She's a poser comic book fan because she should be having a Gwen pool birthday party.

Edit: she's a cute 4 year old poser.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 23:14 on Nov 28, 2021

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

babypolis posted:

yea they’re so toxic. All they do is sealion and gaslight and it makes me sick. I’m shakeing

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

isn’t that what Rebels was at the beginning? I didn’t watch it but that’s the impression that I get 🎷

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i would watch a laugh tracked sitcom that takes place entirety inside of the Jawa transport and it's based on their enslaved droids making it day by day before they're sold or scrapped for parts.

season 2 could be a season of "what happens in that trash compactor the rest of the time?"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Give us the Dex's Diner spinoff series Disney

Feed me the slop

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

babypolis posted:

we should ban anything that isn't related to david lynch

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what about David fincher

he’s pretty good tho Benjamin “Wesley” button was dumb

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this is already the corny white dude thread may as well make it official

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I forgot about the OG. :doh:

This is now a wes anderson thread.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

galagazombie posted:

Muppets is the best Christmas Carol adaptation of all time by such a large degree it’s not entirely believable.

They also made the definitive Treasure Island adaptation. You can tell that Tim Curry loved every single second of hamming it up with those puppets by god

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Casey Finnigan posted:

if they keep putting out terrible star wars media the franchise should finally experience its artifically-delayed natural death just like dark vader from the movies.

His name isn't DARK Vader, its Anakin Skydude. Jesus Crist, in the poop culture thread of all places

Good soup! posted:

Muppet Christmas Carol is one of those required annual viewings in my house along with the top tier Rankin Bass specials

Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Rudolph
Frosty
Year Without a Santa Claus

Got to bring up Charlie Brown Christmas as well, even if the religious message doesn't resonate with you much the general holiday melancholy and the anti-consumerist message will

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 00:16 on Nov 29, 2021

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Can't watch Christmas movies any more, a whole generation grown up on love and good will and, I sit here worried about another covid mutation because of people who watch these shows.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

they’re doing it atm with diego luna

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

babypolis posted:

i don't care about the movies or jedi's or w/e i just like battledroids they are cool

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the revelation of poe's dark past as a drug smuggler was the real emotional heart of Star Wars 9 for me

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Lady Militant posted:

i don't care about the movies or jedi's or w/e i just like battledroids they are cool

this

I only really cared about the military scifi parts of star wars and that was mainly through the original battlefront games which I played a ton of as a kid and the original non-CGI clone wars cartoon which owned

don't care about the space monks just give me more cool battles between robots and faceless soldiers

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

the revelation of poe's dark past as a drug smuggler was the real emotional heart of Star Wars 9 for me

the drug…… was spice!!!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm watching muppets Christmas carol and realizing there's basically no good songs in it which is a bummer. Missed potential of being an all time great instead of the reality of being merely good

Wtf there's literally not a bad song!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i would watch a laugh tracked sitcom that takes place entirety inside of the Jawa transport and it's based on their enslaved droids making it day by day before they're sold or scrapped for parts.

season 2 could be a season of "what happens in that trash compactor the rest of the time?"

"Guys, it's a protocol droid, it's not like it's holding on to information that would destroy the galactic empire!"

Cut to title card

The Gang Destroys the Empire

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

"Guys, it's a protocol droid, it's not like it's holding on to information that would destroy the galactic empire!"

Cut to title card

The Gang Destroys the Empire

Its Always Sunny On Tatooine is something I'd get behind if Charlie and Mac were both droids.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we have to cut dee open and keep warm in the guts

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dee slowly changing into a wookie over the course of an episode

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

His name isn't DARK Vader, its Anakin Skydude. Jesus Crist, in the poop culture thread of all places

Got to bring up Charlie Brown Christmas as well, even if the religious message doesn't resonate with you much the general holiday melancholy and the anti-consumerist message will

Ahhh knew I was forgetting the other big one, charlie brown's Christmas special is absolutely perfect

We watched Santa Claus is Coming to Town this weekend and man the songs in that are just too good, this time of the year I'm always thinking about Put One Foot in Front of the Other

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Elf is basically the only good Christmas movie (movie that is primarily about or involving Christmas or Christmas mythology, not a movie set during Christmas [Die Hard 2, Home Alone, Iron Man III, etc])

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good soup! posted:

Ahhh knew I was forgetting the other big one, charlie brown's Christmas special is absolutely perfect

We watched Santa Claus is Coming to Town this weekend and man the songs in that are just too good, this time of the year I'm always thinking about Put One Foot in Front of the Other

Do they explain how Santa becomes an immortal demigod in that one
I can't remember much except yeah the tunes are rocking

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

indigi posted:

Elf is basically the only good Christmas movie (movie that is primarily about or involving Christmas or Christmas mythology, not a movie set during Christmas [Die Hard 2, Home Alone, Iron Man III, etc])

Emmett Otter would like a word outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Do they explain how Santa becomes an immortal demigod in that one
I can't remember much except yeah the tunes are rocking

Haha naw, they just have little, grounded explanations for his trademarks - why he wears red, why he has a beard, who Mrs. Claus is, why there are stockings, etc

It's so awesome and gets me all teary eyed seeing our family's youngsters get all happy about it too :3: